Call me convinced: I'm going low carb

Options
123457»

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I have read all of the studies on the doctors who did low carb on their hypertensive and diabetic patients and how all of their numbers went down along with their weight!!
    Yeah, one of the things in particular that convinced me after considering it a fad diet all of these years are the people using a low carb diet to not only treat but reverse their type II diabetes. If all of these diseases are linked together--which ALL doctors are telling us they are now--and a low carb diet can reverse one? That's awfully persuasive.

Even though I still have a lot of weight to lose, I have reversed T2 Diabetes with a controlled carb way of eating. My husband has went from 3 high blood pressure medications done to 1 and working on eliminating the last one.

My thyroid function has improved and I am lessening my dosage of medication there also. I don't have as many symptoms of PCOS either.
    That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing that. I've never gone to the doctors or been tested but I suspect I'm insulin resistant because I've responded so well to eating this way. Most noticeably health wise, I no longer have any incidents of hypoglycemia no matter how long I go without eating. That and whatever was wrong with my appetite before -- the constant need to eat whether I was hungry or not -- has corrected itself. It happened so quick and the difference was so dramatic it still seems miraculous to me even after all of these months.

Eating this way (low carb, high fat real food) is the best decision I've ever made and I never would have considered it without reading Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories because in order to lower your carbs you have to eat more fat/saturated fat. I just could not wrap my head around how everyone could have gotten it so so wrong and I guess I was naive enough to believe the nutrition recommendations were actually based on good, controlled scientific studies.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who's shared your experiences.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is a good thread- and any feedback on a diet that is contriversial is good to discuss. I had stepped back off the low carb, (leaner low carb- not tons of bacon, eggs or red meat), in decision to incorporate more fruit and whole grains- and after months of trying this - I have lost nothing! My food cravings for bad food are thru the roof- and I am sick of it.

Low carb works for me- I don't buy into Atkins-or anything else extreme, but I am going back on it and staying on that lifestyle- my weight loss plateaud and stopped when I went off it. This will be new for me too- staying within calories and carbs- keep you posted

(I am a workout fiend- I get 6 hrs + of high cardio a week and weight training 1-2 X- but hope to amp that up to 3X a week)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs between 100 - 150. Lost a bunch of weight, I no longer take meds for T2 diabetes or high blood pressure. That said, I don't think all the positive health benefits are strictly due to a lower carb diet. I also exercise 6 days a week, weigh my portions, and generally take much better care of myself than I did in the past.

For those that have metabolic issues a low carb diet has it's place. I don't think low carb is a "one size fits all" plan for everyone.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Health concerns for a family member led a doctor to suggest South Beach. Like others, I like it - nice choices, you can feel and see the difference. Not following it now, but it oinforms my choices and I feel that I am the better for it! Good luck!