CrossFit Diet

Options

Replies

• jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

well i can assure you we aren't making it up. those are butterflies. ask your coach.

I need an eyeroll gif.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    When eating Paleo you'll be surprised how far a little bit of food will carry you.....when you're eating "properly".

You could replace Paleo with "self control", there is little wrong with Paleo but the reality is that there is little difference in terms of what you put in you eating Paleo or just relatively "clean". When it comes down to it, Paleo still leans more towards fad diet...or just most people who are fanatics about paleo annoy me.

Now Paleo obsessed Crossfitters? Christ on toast.

To the OP, is it possible I could turn you away from Crossfit? From kipping pullups and horribly rounded back deadlifts? Don't misunderstand me here, most crossfitters are in damn good shape. They just seem to have this blatant disregard for safety, form, or common f*cking sense.

While there is an exception to any rule...I'm basically talking about this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnOWfj2TW4

Just find an Olympic lifting gym if this sort of thing appeals to you.

I second pushing the OP away from crossfit. I'm not saying it's not gonna give benefits but when I was stationed in the specwar community this was the go to workouts for the guys and you will not believe the injuries they would see at the BAS... It's pretty risky if you aren't doing proper form etc....
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When eating Paleo you'll be surprised how far a little bit of food will carry you.....when you're eating "properly".

You could replace Paleo with "self control", there is little wrong with Paleo but the reality is that there is little difference in terms of what you put in you eating Paleo or just relatively "clean". When it comes down to it, Paleo still leans more towards fad diet...or just most people who are fanatics about paleo annoy me.

Now Paleo obsessed Crossfitters? Christ on toast.

To the OP, is it possible I could turn you away from Crossfit? From kipping pullups and horribly rounded back deadlifts? Don't misunderstand me here, most crossfitters are in damn good shape. They just seem to have this blatant disregard for safety, form, or common f*cking sense.

While there is an exception to any rule...I'm basically talking about this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnOWfj2TW4

Just find an Olympic lifting gym if this sort of thing appeals to you.

I second pushing the OP away from crossfit. I'm not saying it's not gonna give benefits but when I was stationed in the specwar community this was the go to workouts for the guys and you will not believe the injuries they would see at the BAS... It's pretty risky if you aren't doing proper form etc....

Interesting.

Thanks.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that cross-fit is the devil. The point of this post is really more about the Paleo diet and how that is related to cross-fit.

The reason I want to train with Cross-Fit is because I want to start training for Tri-Athelons, and Tough Mudder next year. I thought that Cross-Fit looked like excellent training for those things. Maybe I am wrong?

It's not the devil, it's just like certain foods...you either like it or you don't. You complain about it or you don't. Tons of people don't like it because they say it teaches bad form in hopes for you to get the workout done faster. In my case. I rather take my time and use proper form and heavier weight then hit a time. My trainer pushes me to stay that way and pushes for safety. If a CF trainer is not correcting your form then you need to switch gyms. I know friends that have switched b/c their trainer wasn't promoting safety first.

The paleo diet is pushed by CF and it is tough but if you want to try it go for it. I don't do it at all. No reason to for me. I eat how I want when I want just in moderation.

Remember everyone on MFP is an "expert" in their opinions...including me. I say just do what works for you, because it is different for each person.

I do crossfit because I like to build my strength and I enjoy the work outs and camaraderie that it comes with. We all push each other. It also benefits me for the sport I play which is Rugby. I also go to a speed and agility training gym to change it up and see what others are preaching.
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started down the Paleo/Primal journey because my doctor recommended it as a way to get over my hypoglycemia/insulin resistance and other health issues. As part of my research on the diet, I did notice a lot of synergy with people who follow paleo and CrossFit. 2 months later, a new CrossFit gym opened in my neighborhood and I took the plunge. I'm the kind of person whose motivation is more consistent when I commit to specific classes/schedule and have to pay $.

My gym doesn't push the diet, but it's mentioned on the "inspiration wall" along with other tips.

FYI, the exercises can be scaled up/down according to your fitness level. I'm a rather out-of-shape and overweight gal, not really the person you'd expect to be there, but the coaches are great at making sure I'm practicing proper form over reps or weight, and learning the fundamentals to prevent injury.

There's a level of competition (especially with yourself) and team support that I've never experienced at a normal gym session before.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I think once anyone knows something they feel like they know it all... or at least they feel comfortable saying this or that works... but when you know what you are doing, all it is is to take the info and evaluate if there is any sense or change that would be good to try...

I have no idea what you are talking about.

My question is, is this a CrossFit thing or not?

To be frank and honest..................MOST crossfitters are also Paleo.

I am sure there are those with in the Cross fit box that are not paleo, but the majority are.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Exactly.

Protein, fats and the carbs coming from vegetables and fruits that have fiber are going to be very filling.
  • neverstray
    Options
    If a paleo-ist can't drink coffee, I'm out.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Its a good thing there are 1000's of variations of paleo diets that have included foods that arnt traditionally paleo. Pick one that allows you to enjoy what ever you want!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    1318291546720.gif

I love that the coach isn't even paying attention to the no-reps going on right there. This gif isn't how all CrossFit boxes operate, trust me. The woman in the forefront, in particular, would be told to get off the bar if that were my coach.

Those are butterfly pull-ups - designed for speed. She is making them - the point is to get your chest close to the bar. They are hard to do!

this ^^ ....those aren't pull ups people!

Regardless of what you call them, I would call them "not smart for the shoulders".
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I agree that your trainer's day looks lame! I have been doing paleo (but not crossfit) for over 3 months. Some days my food diary might look lame too, but most days I think it's pretty exciting! Also, when you eat paleo, you tend not to eat as much because the food you are eating is nutrient dense and satiating. Ex: a steak and half sweet potato will fill you up more than a bowl of pasta or rice. Or eggs & bacon is more filling than cereal. I think you can crossfit without going paleo, but chances are, you'll want to try paleo once you start.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I have my morning coffee everyday. I just drink it black (as I always have) and don't fill it with sugar and other crap.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Did cavemen drink coffee? Hmmmmm. I guess we'll never know.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I like where this is going. Please continue with these types of posts. Did cavemen eat almonds and bacon too?
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    at my crossfit box they mentioned paleo once, and i DID try it for like a month (before even joining crossfit) and its an AWESOME diet, but i feel like if i dont have intolerances to other healthy foods like oats then why not eat them? there are a couple coaches that eat paleo there, but my boyfriend and i seen a movie the otehr week and seen another coach there eating a bag of popcorn which im sure isnt paleo. and guess who's going to a movie tonight and having popcorn?? THIS GUY!!

so yeah, nothing wrong with paleo, but you dont HAVE to follow it to reap the benefits of crossfit. ;)
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Of all the Crossfitters I know, I have NEVER heard one of them say that the purpose behind Crossfit is to train you to be able to do these exercises on your own time, at home, at a park, etc. I know men and women who do Crossfit and I don't think they could do any of the workouts at home because they don't have the giant bars and plates and assortments of kettlebells that the gyms do. Boot camp programs would fall more in line with teaching you how to do things on your own -- I used to teach one, and we didn't use any real equipment besides bands and bodyweight, so yeah, you could easily do those things at home or when traveling.

Crossfit at home? Really? Doubtful. Without the weights and whatnot, you can't do most of their WODs (I used to do some of them on my own time, when I worked at a different gym... just grabbed them off the local CF gym's facebook page. Almost all the WODs I saw used kettlebells, heavy plates, bars, pullup bars, etc -- stuff most people don't just have lying around).

Just my $0.02.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Probably just skim lattes.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    1318291546720.gif

I love that the coach isn't even paying attention to the no-reps going on right there. This gif isn't how all CrossFit boxes operate, trust me. The woman in the forefront, in particular, would be told to get off the bar if that were my coach.

Those are butterfly pull-ups - designed for speed. She is making them - the point is to get your chest close to the bar. They are hard to do!

this ^^ ....those aren't pull ups people!

Regardless of what you call them, I would call them "not smart for the shoulders".

Crossfit is a joke IMO. It's not something you. And do long term without injuries. Crossfit is just the new fad workout. Rushing Olympic moves when already exhausted isn't smart. Anyone can swing a weight or bend there back to cheat on lifts.

Unless you compete. Crossfit should never be the bases of you workouts.
  • Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can do. Just because you choose to do crossfit doesn't mean you have to do every exercise they do. Because of limitations with my knees and shoulders, I limit the WOD's I do.

Regardless of what you read in the previous posts, DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.....PERIOD!!!