Oh, It's TOM so You Can't Exercise? BS!

Options

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of endometriosis is surprise diarrhea. My favorite place to have it? Zumba class!
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    The OP has deactivated their account. Troll!

She's not a troll, she caught her snap. She had nowhere to go but the door after this train wreck.

What do ppl mean when they say a 'troll'?? Not the stupid things w/the weird hair I had when I was a child, right? That wouldnt even make sense... Im confused
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Pffft. I can't even get out of bed during mine, its full on shaking under the covers and vomiting into a bowl for at least 36 hours, so no, I don't and can't work out.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I think in most cases it's a crap excuse, however some people do have it really bad.... in bed 24/7, passing out, crying in pain etc so you can't judge for everyone.

For the majority, who just have mild cramping, yeah suck it up and get on with your workout! I don't particularly like exercising with mine, especially in the first couple of days, but yeah you gotta do what's important. To me, exercise is important.
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    I think it is a crap excuse, but I am also hypocritical in the fact that when I get my TOM, the last thing I want to do is exercise. I want to rest, dose up on painkillers and cuddle my hot water bottle. I just dont feel comfortable exercising knowing that it's like a murder scene down there. Not comforting. I would be stressing about the not fun side effects of TOM, and that would stop me getting a good workout.

I agree.
    It's just the women that use their period soley as an excuse.

Which women are these? I assume you know exactly how they're feeling and what they're capable of? Must be nice to be psychic.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. Exercise during the first 2 days always makes the cramping worse. Now once I hit the third day I am fine as long as I use tampons.
  • louised88
    Options
    The OP has deactivated their account. Troll!

She's not a troll, she caught her snap. She had nowhere to go but the door after this train wreck.

What do ppl mean when they say a 'troll'?? Not the stupid things w/the weird hair I had when I was a child, right? That wouldnt even make sense... Im confused

People who make comments solely to stir *kitten*.
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I REALLY hate when women use their period as an excuse to not do something. "I can't go biking today. I started." Really? I get some of the worst cramps, but it never stops me from doing something. SUCK IT UP and quit being such a baby. Seriously.

Rant over.

I once made the mistake of working out on the cross trainer with already quite some nasty cramps - because I read it might actually help. Guess what happened? I ended up on the bathroom floor, curled into a ball, alone, crying and begging for something, anything to end this pain.

Try telling me - or anyone - to man up in such a situation, I dare you.

There were situations where I already accidentally took a lot more pain killer than recommended and still was in horrible pain, but already feeling light-headed.

So if YOU can do that, good for you - but there is no need to be so freaking rude about it, because some of us can't always just bite the bullet. We're not a bunch of school girls too lazy to run, we're doing this for ourselves.
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    At TOM I have an assortment of the following symptoms- cramps from my tummy almost down to my knees, so bad I can barely get out of bed, piercing headaches, nausea (sometimes vomiting), dizziness, anxiety... why the **** would I exercise on those days? And why the **** do you care? If you can do it great, you're very lucky, but often I can't!

I'm so sick of people on these forums with this "If I can do it so can every one else in the world and if they don't they are worthless human beings" .

Get a life, mind your own business, and stop being so bloody nasty!
  • louised88
    Options
    I agree it helps me to exercise during that time if not I will feel worst. I have endometriosis, fibroids, PCS if I can anyone can.

That would be like me saying that *I* have given birth three times with no epidural (which, I have) - so, if I can do it anyone can.

Seriously?

OMG yes this. People who are like "This applies to me so it must hold true for everyone NYAHNYAH I CAN'T HEAR YOUR LOGIC" drive me up the wall!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my Ironman triathlon I wouldn't have been able to take a week off every three weeks, only because the painters are in, so it was indeed a case of "suck it up buttercup".

Even in the first 2 days, with extra strength tampons even swimming and cycling are no issues. If fact I usually feel better afterwards and less crampy.

While I personally don't give a flying toss what excuses some women use not to exercise, or the whole argument of whether it's an excuse or not... I think all the OP was trying to express, if maybe a bit clumsily, is that exercising is sometimes a case of mind over matter.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I agree it helps me to exercise during that time if not I will feel worst. I have endometriosis, fibroids, PCS if I can anyone can.
    That would be like me saying that *I* have given birth three times with no epidural (which, I have) - so, if I can do it anyone can.
    Seriously?
    OMG yes this. People who are like "This applies to me so it must hold true for everyone NYAHNYAH I CAN'T HEAR YOUR LOGIC" drive me up the wall!

It's your choice to interpret it that way and not actually see it as inspiring, that if someone with considerable additional hurdles, such as endometriosis and PCOS can manage, then maybe so could you?
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I only workout when I ovulate.

Nice :laugh:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones who after having four kids the pains I get are not as bad although still very heavy. I use a menstrual cup which is amazing and glad I discovered before I started working out - tbh without I dont think I would be anywhere near a gym.

However before kids I would have the most horrendous pains and I can sympathise with those who cant even get out of bed let alone exercise and why should you - if you are in too much pain to go to work why the hell would you try and make it to the gym. I'm a great believer in listening to your own body and everyone has their own limits and is different. Yes exercise does help in most cases but everyone is different and when mine were very bad nothing helped.

However in many cultures there is still a belief that during the TOM a woman is not able to do anything and exercise especially is harmful and maybe this is what the poster is trying to get across.
  • louised88
    Options
    I feel SO sorry for any men who have read through this thread! :laugh:

Why? Oh my god, women like you, and the men for whom you feel sorry, disgust me.

But-but uteruses are gross! and periods and anything to do with them need to be hidden! and if they're spoken about openly, you need to mock them so that men will know that you're not one of thoooose girls, you're cool!
  • PurpleAmharicCoffee
    Options
    I can do all my usual exercises except anything in the pool. I'm paranoid about blood leaking into the water.
  • louised88
    Options
    Seriously?

It's your choice to interpret it that way and not actually see it as inspiring, that if someone with considerable additional hurdles, such as endometriosis and PCOS can manage, then maybe so could you?

It might be inspiring, but not when it's used as a stick to beat other women with. Which is what's happening here. And that's not how I 'chose to interpret it', that's what it is.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Before I went on BC I couldn't walk the day before my TOM and the first day my cramps were so bad. I was very ill through my teenage years, lack of iron and anemia through my tom which lasted over week and a half/nearly two weeks.
    Luckily my doctor gave me BC at 15 to control it, my TOM isn't as bad now but the cramps are still there, though slightly More bearable I cannot work through them.
    It's nice to see that other women are so supportive when it comes to a shared issue... I think my partner is more sympathetic and he's never going to have a period. Lol.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My back gets sore sore I can just about straighten up let alone do a work out.
    Just because you dont get it bad dsnt mean everyone has a nice easy period O_o
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I'm pretty sure everything that could possibly be said about this has been said, but I just wanted to add that I really mourn the loss of the art of empathy. We have become such a cynical society that everyone is assumed to be making excuses for everything, everyone is automatically assumed to be weak, or less than. Yes, a lot of people use things as excuses, but just as many or more do not. Don't let cynicism get in the way of your compassion for others. And don't let your own views cloud your eyes against the beauty of what other people CHOOSE to do. YOU choose to deal with things one way, someone else chooses another. No one's way is right or wrong, it is just their way. <3

Pretty sure you just became my best friend! :)

:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.