The OMG Salad

Options

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I am going to save this to favorites for ideas this week. All of these sound great!

My homemade Italian Dressing is simply olive oil, red wine vinegar, splash of balsamic vinegar, garlic power and onion powder if I am too lazy to get out the food processer, italian seasonings.

If I have fresh basil I will chop some up.

I am glad I am full or I would have to go make a salad right now!!

And for Brenda I will find an icecream salad recipe:laugh:

Now we need a thread for homemade salad dressings! The store bought all have way too much sugar imo... even the light, it's crazy the crap they put in foods.

A friend on here challenged me to read the labels of everything to see if sugar/hfcs was on the label.

I will see this week!

DO IT DO IT DO IT.
    I was diagnosed with PCOS a few days ago, and was advised to cut out all HFCS from my diet.
    It's probably the hardest thing I've ever done.
    I challenge you too, LOL.

One thing is for sure...........if you read all the labels it takes you 2 hours to shop for 10 bags of groceries!!:laugh:

I did find a bread with 5 ingredients and it is sweetened with honey. It is heavy and 1 pc will do...but bread is my nemesis and this one is as close to perfect as it can get.

I hope PCOS doesnt hurt...and the HFSC removal will cure you!:flowerforyou:

:laugh: When I'm hungry, I normally just walk into the kitchen, grab a snack and go.
    But we haven't gotten all the HFCS foods out of the house (other members of the household will NOT let go of their foods, LOL) and so now when I want a snack, I have to read the label.
    It's tedious, but it's needed.

May I inquire the name of this bread? :flowerforyou: :happy:

And PCOS is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome... it means I over-produce testosterone. The extra testosterone fools my body into thinking I'm a guy, which fools it into thinking I have a lot more muscle mass. So then, when I eat anything with too much sugar or with HFCS, my body instantly turns it to fat without my metabolism even getting a chance to burn it, because it thinks it will be burned off later by my "muscle mass."
    So eating sugar is bad thing for me now. *sigh* Hahahaha, oh well.
    I can get over it.
    I'm just glad I didn't have a soda addiction, because I would be royally screwed if I had to cut it all out.
  • jennb5255
    jennb5255 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to save this thread. I'm love salads and am always looking for new ways to fix them. I usually eat them for lunch and days when my husband wants something fried I will have a salad instead. :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am going to save this to favorites for ideas this week. All of these sound great!

My homemade Italian Dressing is simply olive oil, red wine vinegar, splash of balsamic vinegar, garlic power and onion powder if I am too lazy to get out the food processer, italian seasonings.

If I have fresh basil I will chop some up.

I am glad I am full or I would have to go make a salad right now!!

And for Brenda I will find an icecream salad recipe:laugh:

Now we need a thread for homemade salad dressings! The store bought all have way too much sugar imo... even the light, it's crazy the crap they put in foods.

A friend on here challenged me to read the labels of everything to see if sugar/hfcs was on the label.

I will see this week!

DO IT DO IT DO IT.
    I was diagnosed with PCOS a few days ago, and was advised to cut out all HFCS from my diet.
    It's probably the hardest thing I've ever done.
    I challenge you too, LOL.

One thing is for sure...........if you read all the labels it takes you 2 hours to shop for 10 bags of groceries!!:laugh:

I did find a bread with 5 ingredients and it is sweetened with honey. It is heavy and 1 pc will do...but bread is my nemesis and this one is as close to perfect as it can get.

I hope PCOS doesnt hurt...and the HFSC removal will cure you!:flowerforyou:

:laugh: When I'm hungry, I normally just walk into the kitchen, grab a snack and go.
    But we haven't gotten all the HFCS foods out of the house (other members of the household will NOT let go of their foods, LOL) and so now when I want a snack, I have to read the label.
    It's tedious, but it's needed.

May I inquire the name of this bread? :flowerforyou: :happy:

And PCOS is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome... it means I over-produce testosterone. The extra testosterone fools my body into thinking I'm a guy, which fools it into thinking I have a lot more muscle mass. So then, when I eat anything with too much sugar or with HFCS, my body instantly turns it to fat without my metabolism even getting a chance to burn it, because it thinks it will be burned off later by my "muscle mass."
    So eating sugar is bad thing for me now. *sigh* Hahahaha, oh well.
    I can get over it.
    I'm just glad I didn't have a soda addiction, because I would be royally screwed if I had to cut it all out.

Publix Whole grain bread it is made with
    whole wheat ( NOT ww flour)
    water
    honey
    sesame seeds
    flax seed
    sunflower seeds

I went shopping with my BFF, here from out of town. She has always shopped the perimeter and didnt even realilze she avoided processed stuff until I gave it a name:laugh:

She brought me to the bakery and started showing me how easy it can be to read labels. IF you pick it up and see more than 5 ingredients.............put it back down!!

I can eat 1 pc of the bread and am fully satisified. I am freezing 1/2 the loaf, because like at your house, the 'others' are not on board with my plan:huh:

I tell them....GO ahead and eat your white bread, might as well eat a pc of paper!!

Check out the Bakery of any big food chain and dont be afraid to ask the clerk. Also, the price is higher but I eat 1/2 as much and get real nutritional value!!

Sorry bout your health issues...........my DD has symptoms and this has been mentioned, but nothing official. I will talk to her about sugar. Thanks a million!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I just remembered this OMG salad I made:

White tuna in water
    1 tbls EVOO
    3 calamata olives, pitted
    2 tbls chopped onion
    squeeze of lemon or lime
    kosher salt
    fresh ground pepper

I either toss it all together on top of Romaine............and sometimes use my homemade Italian dressing

or

I use a food processor for a smoother consitancy. Tuna, then EVOO mix till smooth, add in lemon onion and olives....salt and pepper to taste.

It is great on mixed greens or baby spinach!

(my friend puts in some Dijon mustard)
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    OMG salad, Russia Brand:

Baby Field Greens
    8 Tortilla chips crunched up
    1/4 avocado, cut into chunks
    low fat sour cream
    alfalfa sprouts
    1/2 tomato cut into chunks
    3 sliced black olives
    1/2 chicken breast cut into chunks
    pico de gallo to taste (this stuff's hot, watch out)
    chili powder

Yea, it's a taco salad, basically! :laugh:
  • hgirl1021
    Options
    bump:wink:

loooove salads! try to have one at least a day! but my fav:

attitude spring mix
    1/2 cup sliced strawberries
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/4 cup chopped fugi apple
    2 tbsp kraft light raspberry vinegarette

mmm. sooooo yummy! had this at a church picnic once and i fell in love. my most fav salad!
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to save this thread. I'm love salads and am always looking for new ways to fix them. I usually eat them for lunch and days when my husband wants something fried I will have a salad instead. :heart:

I do this too, have a salad if my family is having something like chili dogs and I want something healthy. I am definetely going to have to try some of these salads. :smile:
  • eulila
    eulila Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad-

Sweet butter lettuce
    black olives
    fat free feta
    turkey pepperoni
    red onion
    ken's lite northern italian dressing

YUM!
  • aabbccdd
    Options
    bump for later
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    time to revive the OMG salad thread.

What is your favorite salad!:flowerforyou:
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have 2:

mixed greens
    peppers
    cucumbers
    green onions (thinly sliced red would be good)
    2-3 ounces of sliced, leftover grilled steak
    1oz (or less) of crumbled blue cheese
    1tbsp crispy onions (these are salad toppers found in the produce section)
    Litehouse balsamic vinegarette

OR
    brocoli slaw
    sliced almonds
    craisins
    crispy wontons (same salad toppers)
    litehouse toasted sesame & ginger

YUM!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Sweet butter lettuce
    pineapple chunks
    strawberries
    goat cheese
    grilled chicken breast
    carrots
    onions
    Brianna's blush wine vinaigrette

So tasty!! :smooched: The goat cheese and the sweetness of the fruit tastes really amazing...
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    ok these 2 are going on my grocery list!:flowerforyou:
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sweet butter lettuce
    pineapple chunks
    strawberries
    goat cheese
    grilled chicken breast
    carrots
    onions
    Brianna's blush wine vinaigrette

So tasty!! :smooched: The goat cheese and the sweetness of the fruit tastes really amazing...

Blush wine vinaigrett - that sounds fantastic!! I wonder if I can find it where I live. Is it reasonably low-cal?
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    These all sound sooooo wonderful! Bumping so I can refer to it later!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Also, I have tried some the the Neumans dressings and they are amazing. I love ranch dressing but I always use too much and defeat the purpose of the salad so appreciate the yummy olive oil varieties!

HFCS! Terrible!!! Corn is in everything...so is milk!
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    My Chinese Chicken Salad:

Ingredients:
    2 cups of shredded iceberg lettuce.
    1 cup of cabbage, raw
    .25 (that's 1/4 of a cup) cup of Chow Mein noodles (dry)
    .1 (1/10 of a cup) Cup sliced almonds.
    .1 Cup sunflower seed kernels
    2 Chicken strips (I used fried, you could use a healthier version)
    A few mandarin orange slices (optional)

Directions:
    -Toss the cabbage and lettuce together
    -Add the chow mein noodles, almonds, and sunflower seed kernels (on top or mixed in, however you prefer)
    -Cut up the chicken strips and put 'em in,
    -Add the orange slices (if you'd like)

Nutrition Facts:
    Calories: 359
    Sodium: 421
    Fat: 20 (this could be different if you don't use fried chicken)
    Protein: 17
    Sugar: 13 (only 5 if you don't put in the orange slices)
    Carbs: 30

(sorry, these are the only nutrition facts MFP is giving me- and the recipe calculator on SparkPeople isn't very good).

What I love most about this salad is it's ability to fill me up. Usually, I can only eat half or MAYBE 3/4 of it, and then I feel like I'm going to blow. It saves very well in the fridge (even better if you have a dressing on the side, instead of drizzled on top). Usually I will have it for dinner one night, then for lunch the next day. VERY YUMMY.
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    I think someone should post a "sister board" to The OMG Salad,
    The OMG Soup!

It's finally getting colder over here, and I desperately need some soup recipes.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    strawberries
    spinach
    almonds
    goat cheese
    Marie's poppy seed dressing

Satisfies the sweet and creamy tooth
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    The blush wine vinaigrette isn't that bad at all. It's all natural and I would think it would have about 50 or less cals per tablespoon. I don't have the dressing here with me--it's at my Mom's. It's light and delicious...you should def try it out!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    These all sound sooooo wonderful! Bumping so I can refer to it later!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Also, I have tried some the the Neumans dressings and they are amazing. I love ranch dressing but I always use too much and defeat the purpose of the salad so appreciate the yummy olive oil varieties!

HFCS! Terrible!!! Corn is in everything...so is milk!

DD.....A trick I learned in weight watchers is to put the dressing in a little cup. Dip the fork in the dressing and then stab the lettuce/salad mixings. It turned out I eat less than 1 tsp of dressing, yet each bite tasted like my yummy blue cheese dressing that I so miss