Healthy waist size - how do you measure up?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Nuffield Health has issued the results of a study in which it measured British people's waist sizes and compared them to what is considered a healthy waist size. There's an infographic here:
http://www.nuffieldhealth.com/sites/default/files/inline/Nuffield-Health-infographic-large.pdf

It found the average British woman has a waist size of 84.9cm (33.4") compared to a healthy size of 80cm (31.5").

The average man has a waist size of 92.7cm (33.4") compared to a healthy size of 94cm (37") - yes, the average man has a waist size less than the healthy measurement!

Given the higher levels of obesity in men, I wonder if this was self-reported and all the men hoiked the tape measure up under their bellies...?

Waist size is considered a better measure of health than weight or BMI as it is a good indicator of an increased risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, infertility and cancer.

Where do you measure up? Although I have lost a lot of belly, at 34" I'm above average and way over healthy. It's one of my goals to get down to a 31" waist.

Replies

• poledancing_ninja
    Options
    My waist is a 25" but I can squidge it down to 20" in a corset (6 years of corset wearing lol) but I am only 5ft 2
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    My very accurate measurement (taken with BlackBerry charger and B&Q tape measure) was 32 inches/81 cm. Quite pleased with that. :flowerforyou:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I just hit 31 inches recently. Interesting to know. :)
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Huh, mine's 30 and I feel like I could lose 2-3 more inches from it. Surprised to hear that that's smaller than what's considered healthy.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm *almost* healthy for a man LOL.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I bet men gave their pant size rather than measure. 33.4 is awfully close to a standard 34" pant.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Where are we measuring for waist? Narrowest part or just up from belly button?

My narrowest part is 30", but I think I can go smaller...
  • heatherina1983
    Options
    I am pretty much spot on although I feel I still have a couple of inches to lose. Surely it depends, I have quite a small frame I would say so I don't think losing a couple of inches would make me unhealthy.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    my waist is around 26" the last time I measured.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Mine is 27.5". I'm quite happy with that...
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might have to kill myself if I say it openly and in public.

Damn menopause! Damn it to the depths of hell!
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might have to kill myself if I say it openly and in public.

Damn menopause! Damn it to the depths of hell!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN !!!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    26"... I am good.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm built weird. I have a lot of weight to lose still, but my waist is 29". Most of my weight is in my hips, thighs, and butt.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Currently at 28.... working on a 26 inch waist.....
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    31", down from 37" when I started this. I want to get down 2-3 more inches though.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Would love mine to be 25" but at 26"....I'm pretty satisfied.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Mine's 30 , looking to lose another 2 inch at least. Surprised it's a healthy measurement actually. Lol
  • LosingFat4Gd
    Options
    32.5" - Ive lost 2 inches since starting MPF 2 & half months ago.
    Really want to get it down to 31". My belly is where all my weight goes - Im an apple shape.
    Its horrible - I wear clothes to hide it & when I sit down I out a cushion over it. I know its the worst place to carry weight in terms of health.
  • Exquizyt
    Exquizyt Posts: 33
    Options
    My waist is 28.5 :smile: . I just started Insanity too, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed my measurements will go down a little more :happy: