Healthy waist size - how do you measure up?

Options

Replies

• skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might have to kill myself if I say it openly and in public.

Damn menopause! Damn it to the depths of hell!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN !!!

me too :sad:
  • JupitersGhost
    Options
    My waist is anywhere between 27"-28", though my goal is 24"-25".

I found this online. It was posted in 2004 but I found it quite interesting in regards to this debate. It compares the body measurements of women in the 1950's to women in 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3616904.stm
    A long-term survey, using high-tech 3-D scanners which mapped the body shapes of more than 11,000 Britons has revealed that the average woman is now taller by about two inches and has slightly larger hip and bust measurements.

But it is in the waist where the real difference - of almost seven inches - shows.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    87cm or 34 1/4 inches.
  • colpol1
    colpol1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My waist is 29 which I dont have a problem with :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Mine is currently 42" - but considering it was once 10+ inches larger, I'm not upset one bit. I'll get closer and closer to that healthy waist.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have a 22'' and I would like 20'' I have SUCH a small frame, that this 22'' is not so big, but I know I would look better at 20'', because I've been there and then gained 2 more inches D:
  • ChrisMayhew87
    ChrisMayhew87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 41.5 inch waist so another 4.5 inch and i'll have a healthy waist? I doubt it, I reckon i'll still have a belly at 37 inches. lol
  • cmochoa11
    cmochoa11 Posts: 1
    Options
    My waist is 25' but i would love for it to be 24:)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I remember having a 24" waist :cry:
  • Nordichorseman
    Nordichorseman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I read an article that your waist size (circumference) should be half of your vertical height. Also believe that this works for children as well. Makes sense considering everyone is built different....which is reflected in this string of posts.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What's with the absolute sizes? It's waist-to-hip ratio, or waist-to-height ratio that are key indicators, not absolute size.

A woman who is 6'2' with 45" hips *will* have a larger waist.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Mine is 26", I would like it to be 25"...but I am wondering if that is possible. My ribcage actually got wider after kids, and I have more of a short waist and longer legs...so there is not that much room to cinch in between my rib cage and my hip bones. BUT, would still love a 25" waist!!!
  • ThinAllie
    ThinAllie Posts: 3
    Options
    my waist is a 29 but i want t get to a 26!
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and my waist (I measured about a half inch above my bellybutton) is ~27 inches. :)
  • cyndykaye
    cyndykaye Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree. Damn menopause! Been starving for 3 weeks and my reward - gained 1/2 a pound!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i really wish height and genetic ethnicity was taken into consideration with these things.

i'm tall and scandinavian. my frame is big (and so that means my ribs and pelvis are). my waist fluctuates between 29 and 31 inches, but most people wouldn't know it because i'm pretty well proportioned (except for the small bewbs) and apparently appear to be "skinny".
  • KStambulic
    KStambulic Posts: 131
    Options
    Not sure where you measure for an accurate "waist" size since pant sizing has changed so drastically in the last few years. At the narrowest part (just above my belly button) I am 29" which hasn't changed much since my early 20's. My problem area around my belly is 32". I don't think that study is very accurate as it does not take into account a person's height.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What's with the absolute sizes? It's waist-to-hip ratio, or waist-to-height ratio that are key indicators, not absolute size.

A woman who is 6'2' with 45" hips *will* have a larger waist.
    There is an element of proportion (as well as height, ethnicity etc. as others have pointed out), but someone with a waist size of 40" is likely to be carrying unhealthy levels of fat round their middle whatever their other measurements are.

I believe it was considered as a one-stop health check for the public to avoid the complications associated with BMI and the like.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Narrow-ist part or navel? And yeah, I don't understand who height isn't a factor.

I'm 5'9", 160lbs and have a 28" waist (narrowest part).
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    hmmm mine is 34 inches..but since it used to be 44....well I am happy with that. Hoping to get down to 29 when I reach my goal weight! I am 5'7"

11269213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter