Low fat cream cheese..and other food abominations

Options
1235»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All fat free cheese! It tastes like wax, won't melt and is just weird. I stick to reduced fat whenever available, which is not low fat, but has quite a bit less saturated fat than full fat.
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Your topic title says it all. Low fat food are abominations and should probably not be consumed by anyone. Can you pronounce the even half the ingredients? No? Then probably shouldn't be eating it.

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

Since I eat low carb I don't buy low fat anything, and actually seek out the products that are the most natural and highest in fat. Products are much more flavorful and yet somehow I loose weight without chemicals and unnatural garbage.

I can pronounce all of that. It must be healthier for me than it is for you. Perhaps if you go to college and take a few biology, chemistry and human anatomy and physiology classes it will be healthier for you as well. Actually. If you take a single medical terminology course with a teacher worth half the air they breathe you will be able to pronounce it within the first week.

That is a dumb argument. It's a logical fallacy to say that things you can't pronounce are bad for you because 'pronounceability' has no bearing on health.

So wait, your argument is better because you can pronounce these things (by the way I'm more than educated enough to pronounce these things as well, no need for the thinly veiled "Duh Hurr, you must be stoopid" argument)? So as an educated person yourself, I'm sure you can interperet from my post that what I mean is that WHY add anything to food when you don't need to? My example stands on it's own, peanuts and salt are less likely to *kitten* up the balanced machine that is the human body with unnecessary junk that was added for the attempt at making something that's been altered by humans more palatable once they've strangled all the natural oils, fats, flavor and nutrients out of something.

I'm all for science, but when applying science to food, you just get generally unhealthy garbage, preservatives and other additives that do nothing at best and harm at worst to those consuming it.

The problem with the argument is that is promotes ignorance. If people continue to use arguments like these are the end-all, be-all of nutrition wisdom, then other people will believe it. My point was that it was a bad argument. I hate bad arguments. They make you look dumb and when they become conventional wisdom everyone suffers for it.

umm... yeah I'll be sure to follow your scientific advice when your ticker has 65lbs lost on it. Till then, I'll pay attention to Marll and Keep It Simple, Stupid.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fat free turkey hot dogs=grossest thing I've ever tasted.

Hot dogs are made from lips and a**holes and turkeys don't have lips so I'm not sure what I was expecting. :tongue:

To be fair, I know several people who like them. They just are not for me.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Try the laughing cow cream cheese wedges. Not bad
    I love these, I just tried them! Yumm-O!
  • bamachyck3
    bamachyck3 Posts: 31
    Options
    I eat almost nothing that is "Diet" or "Reduced Fat." I do drink diet cola and iced tea, and use Ken's "Light" vinegarettes on my salads. Otherwise I just eat less of the full fat stuff - Ice Cream, Milk, Mayo, Butter, Cheese. I'd rather have a smaller portion of something that tastes really good to me than a larger portion of something I don't like very much.

^^^This except I still drink regular Coke.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Your topic title says it all. Low fat food are abominations and should probably not be consumed by anyone. Can you pronounce the even half the ingredients? No? Then probably shouldn't be eating it.

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

Since I eat low carb I don't buy low fat anything, and actually seek out the products that are the most natural and highest in fat. Products are much more flavorful and yet somehow I loose weight without chemicals and unnatural garbage.

I can pronounce all of that. It must be healthier for me than it is for you. Perhaps if you go to college and take a few biology, chemistry and human anatomy and physiology classes it will be healthier for you as well. Actually. If you take a single medical terminology course with a teacher worth half the air they breathe you will be able to pronounce it within the first week.

That is a dumb argument. It's a logical fallacy to say that things you can't pronounce are bad for you because 'pronounceability' has no bearing on health.

So wait, your argument is better because you can pronounce these things (by the way I'm more than educated enough to pronounce these things as well, no need for the thinly veiled "Duh Hurr, you must be stoopid" argument)? So as an educated person yourself, I'm sure you can interperet from my post that what I mean is that WHY add anything to food when you don't need to? My example stands on it's own, peanuts and salt are less likely to *kitten* up the balanced machine that is the human body with unnecessary junk that was added for the attempt at making something that's been altered by humans more palatable once they've strangled all the natural oils, fats, flavor and nutrients out of something.

I'm all for science, but when applying science to food, you just get generally unhealthy garbage, preservatives and other additives that do nothing at best and harm at worst to those consuming it.

The problem with the argument is that is promotes ignorance. If people continue to use arguments like these are the end-all, be-all of nutrition wisdom, then other people will believe it. My point was that it was a bad argument. I hate bad arguments. They make you look dumb and when they become conventional wisdom everyone suffers for it.

umm... yeah I'll be sure to follow your scientific advice when your ticker has 65lbs lost on it. Till then, I'll pay attention to Marll and Keep It Simple, Stupid.

ETA: Misread something on my original comment. And what does amount of lbs have to do with whether or not she knows what she is talking about? You dont' know her starting weight or her goal weight or when she started her weight loss journey. That's just a rude argument.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I HATE Edy's fat free ice cream. It's tasteless, and goopy, and melts really quickly. The biggest waste of calories ever. When I want a dessert, I will indulge myself, thank you very much, and none of this loopy, fat-free nonsense.

Also, cauliflower is nasty. Who in the world decided it would be a good idea to breed albino broccolies?
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Half & Half...whats the point?
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    "MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE" - are mostly vitamins and minerals, commonly found in multi-vits (pyridoxine is B12 etc)

Sure, by WHY are these things only added to reduced fat foods? Example that I gave was JIF reduced fat peanut butter...now here is their REGULAR stuff:

Ingredients:
    MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

Notice a difference? Why is everything reduced fat have so much extra stuff in it? Oh yeah, because the processing to get the "evil" fat out destroyed other nutrients in the original product enough that you have to fortify it. Again, I don't eat JIF and will stick to natural peanut butter, but the rub for me is the overprocessing in most foods that are sold in the US and western countries now.
  • MyLuvMaya
    MyLuvMaya Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat almost nothing that is "Diet" or "Reduced Fat." I do drink diet cola and iced tea, and use Ken's "Light" vinegarettes on my salads. Otherwise I just eat less of the full fat stuff - Ice Cream, Milk, Mayo, Butter, Cheese. I'd rather have a smaller portion of something that tastes really good to me than a larger portion of something I don't like very much.

I agree 100 percent. I tried all of the low fat & fat free & most just ruined my food. Now i just eat the real thing, just use less. Plus the fat free & low fat are usually loaded with extra sodium
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

ETA: Misread something on my original comment. And what does amount of lbs have to do with whether or not she knows what she is talking about? You dont' know her starting weight or her goal weight or when she started her weight loss journey. That's just a rude argument.

Him.

I started my journey roughly a year ago. Started with the usual low fat, calorie restricted bulls**t, eating many small meals a day. Lost about 1 lb in just under two months. Went back to eating low carb, whole natural, minimally processed foods that are full of fat and flavor and dropped another 64lbs effortlessly while eating all the fat and full flavored foods I wanted. I'm at a bit of a plateau now, but seem to have broken through by eliminating further processed items like ready made sugar free chocolate that I have on occasion, subbing for natural dark chocolate.

My weight loss has been because of eating natural foods, high in fat, and I didn't exercise much at all, especially in comparison with what I was doing when resorting to low fat frakenfoods.

Am I the be all end all authority on weight loss, health and diet. Not even close. Do I have strong opinions on minimally processed foods? Yep and I think that all the processing, packaging and preserving that is done these days is making the journey that much harder for the rest of you, and that makes me angry, because while results are delayed or never achieved, there is someone that is making tons of cash on a product that we all know is crap.
  • MyLuvMaya
    Options
    Boathouse salad dressing made with yogurt, tasted nasty, nasty, nasty!

I agree. YUCK!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It's more than rude. There are a lot of nutrition experts who don't do what they know they should be doing. Heck, I'll bet most of the people on this site stuggling to lose weight knew they shouldn't be doing what they were doing when they gained weight. If we all did what we know is right there wouldn't be much need for MFP.
  • MyLuvMaya
    Options
    I would much rather eat a very small serving of a full fat something (cheese, dressing, etc) than any low fat diet junk!

AMEN!
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

Sorry the fact that I've lost seven pounds this month isn't quite good enough for you. I will try harder because it's very important to me that you feel confident in my science. It isn't enough for me to know that I am correct in that the argument was bad and wrong. Tell me when I have your approval.

Edit: Whoops, eight pounds. Eight in 30 days. I should put my ticker in my signature so people can approve of me. Gotta have that approval.
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I actually like the 95% fat free use it in caserolles, mix it with salsa, sometimes I misse it iwth garlic and dill , I like it. To each his own.

Haha...well..to be fair..I'm spoiled rotten when it comes to food. I'm Italian/French heritage and grew up with AMAZING food. I am also a decent cook. the no fat stuff (although I'm sure some people do like it) does NOT actually taste like cream cheese to me. My Italian Gramma used to make her own cheese, including cream cheese..and OMG..it was...well..cheese heaven. I miss her :( she was also about 250 pounds..haha!

Oh my God, Italian/French food...that food marriage heaven. Ive had the pleasure of visiting France many times, it is arguably my favourite country on the continent (I'm Irish, France was our holiday country cos my dad loves food and France and especially French food, he's 20 stone :)) and I've been in Italy (Sicily) twice...Dear God the food in both is heaven sent, sometimes I dream about it...I can only imagine the recipes you have at your disposal!!!
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

SO TRUE! Hydrogenated anything oil is just a fancy word for trans fats. I think someone got high and said "there isnt enough fat in the word, let's CREATE another kind!" I avoid anything "low fat" and "sugar free" and just watch my portions with the real stuff...
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options

Him.

I started my journey roughly a year ago. Started with the usual low fat, calorie restricted bulls**t, eating many small meals a day. Lost about 1 lb in just under two months. Went back to eating low carb, whole natural, minimally processed foods that are full of fat and flavor and dropped another 64lbs effortlessly while eating all the fat and full flavored foods I wanted. I'm at a bit of a plateau now, but seem to have broken through by eliminating further processed items like ready made sugar free chocolate that I have on occasion, subbing for natural dark chocolate.

My weight loss has been because of eating natural foods, high in fat, and I didn't exercise much at all, especially in comparison with what I was doing when resorting to low fat frakenfoods.

Am I the be all end all authority on weight loss, health and diet. Not even close. Do I have strong opinions on minimally processed foods? Yep and I think that all the processing, packaging and preserving that is done these days is making the journey that much harder for the rest of you, and that makes me angry, because while results are delayed or never achieved, there is someone that is making tons of cash on a product that we all know is crap.

Her.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Those Lay's WOW (now renamed LIGHT) potato chips. ICK.