Avocado, what do I do with it?

Options

Replies

• hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a salad made out of the ingredients of guacamole recently - it's lush...
    Chop red onion, tomato, coriander, juice of half a lime and a pinch of salt....
    Adding some prawns makes it in to a substantial meal :)
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    WORSHIP it as one of the most amazing foods in the world. I LOVE me some avocado - in any form.
    yum.
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I mean, eat it, obviously. But I've never had one before. Do I eat it raw? Steam it? I keep reading how people love them. How do you eat yours?
    I eat mine raw with a salad or by itself.. I have seen recipies on Pintrest about baking them ..I haven't tried that.. I like them raw ..
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I eat them raw mmmm or in tortillas or with egg salad in a tortilla, on tacos, in salads..also, if you want to get really CREATIVE. Make this for when your craving chocolate!

CHOCOLATE AVOCADO MOUSSE:
    1 full ripe avocado
    1 table spoon vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder (optional)
    1 table spoon chocolate syup I use dark chocolate sugar free or cocoa powder
    mix and mash it all up mix it good and put it in the fridge for about an hour. mix it up again before you eat it and you would NEVER know it had avocado in it as you cant taste it and its healthy for you. :)
    MMMM This sounds good ..I will have to try it.. I am like you I LOVE Advocados.
  • mckaylaandshawnsmama
    Options
    All of these suggestions sound amazing! I think I am going to make some guac and chicken and shred the chicken and put it in a burrito! :) Maybe tomorrow! We Shall See!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I know that people have posted multiple times that it is a fruit but don't go into eating it expecting it to be sweet, you will be sadly disappointed. I would have to agree that it is an acquired taste. I have tried many times to acquire the taste but so far can just do guacamole. I do eat that all the time so I at least am half way there on liking it.

It does oxidize really fast but it's still edible if it goes brown. If you cover with plastic wrap and get all air you can out it doesn't get too bad.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Wait, you've never had avocado before? Not even guacamole?

Anyway, I eat it in every way listed above. Also, if you use your fingers to clear the flesh from the skin, be sure to rub the residue in to your cuticles before you wash your hands.. the oils are very good for your skin!

I hadn't had my first avocado, not even guacamole till I was well in my 30's. Then one time I went to this vegan restaurant that had avocado and I was like I can't belive I've been avoiding you because I thought you were a funny looking green color. LOL

But I like to make a quick guacamole. I get the avocados with a little bit of salsa, juice of a half lime (or depending on taste) and some sea salt. Yummy.
  • lildaisy00
    Options
    I cut one in half and remove the pit. Then I fill it with tuna fish and some mustard on top. Very yummy!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i love avocado! the three ways i typically eat are-

1. just sliced up ( my kids like it like this too!)
    2. mashed up with tuna ( for a healthier tuna salad) add a little pepper
    3. mashed up with chunky salsa
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Eat it raw. It is delicious with just about anything.
  • crocmomma
    crocmomma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half and remove the pit. Put the halves into a bowl, lightly salt it, and eat that mofo with a fork.

Yes!!!

Also, avocado sushi is yummy and easy to make.

Or quinoa+black beans+corn+peppers+tomatoes with avocado on top.

Ok. I'm making myself hungry. Must stop.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    MMMM Avocado. I treat it like my woman...give it a good taste test then eat it right up. :laugh: :laugh:
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I usually just cut it open ,remove pit and eat it with a spoon like ice cream..LOL or it is good on burgers, as guacamole and more !!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Cut it into halves and lightly salt it....or like my hubby does, put vinegar on it. I also like it on sandwiches.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    raw. mash it up. squeeze in half a lemon. finely chop garlic and onion or tomato and mix it in. I eat that with eggs, chicken, or chips. ;)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    My new favorite thing to do with avocado:

1 cup fat-free milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 Tbsp flaxseed
    1 small AVOCADO
    1 Tbsp agave nectar
    2 cups ice

Blend until smooth.
  • Pixie_star1234
    Pixie_star1234 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    raw and drizzle a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar. It is divine!!!
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Blended with Frozen banana and milk! It makes a great smoothie :)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half and remove the pit. Put the halves into a bowl, lightly salt it, and eat that mofo with a fork.

Is this man mad? He means a teaspoon surely? ;-) Mmmm

I like freshly ground black pepper on mine too.
  • jammasterduggs
    Options
    i just had mine today in sweet potato.

Sweet.