To call/text him or not to call/text....

Options
mariapuhl
mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
So, everyone, I need an opinion.

Quick back story: I have what I like to call my "lightswitch" boyfriend. We are on off on off on off. Already redflagging, right?! Well that's not what I'm here for. We have long periods of off in there, it's not a weekly thing, but it's been going on for like 5 years. We just always end up back with each other. Ok. So that's the background.

This time: We've been together for like... 8 months this time. Really good. We have been training for the color run, he's been all excited about it, I've been SUPER excited for it (I paid for it for him to do it with me since he couldn't afford it), and just been overall pumped for it to happen.

So Friday night rolls around, and I told him he should probably just sleep over at my place, so we could just get up and go. He said ok. Then he went to the bar with his friends like always. I told him I'd be up till 11 if he was going to come over. If not he better be at my place at 7 am sharp. He didn't come up, but said he'd be there at 7 in the morning.

Next morning, 7 rolls around... 7:05... 7:10... some phone calls and texts..... 7:20 and still nothing. So I left and told him to meet me. At 7:45 I asked my best friend, who was coming to take pictures, if he'd run with me and I'd give him the boyfriends stuff. So I called the boyfriend and still no answer, so I left a message. At 7:57 (mind you the race started at 8am) I get this text: "dang clock." I was so angry and just texted back "f*** you".

I'll admit, I probably shouldn't have said that but I was just so annoyed. So since then.... he has not apologized, texted, called, or made any attempts at communication with me. I was expecting at least a "OMG I'm so sorry!" or something... I don't know.

I'm not mad he missed the race, now. What I'm mad about is the fact that he hasn't apologized or said ANYTHING to me.

So now, 4 days later, I'm wondering... should I text/call him? Or just wait and see how long he actually goes and if he ever does apologize.... I've been struggling with this all day.

Thanks.

p.s. The color run was AWESOME.

Replies

2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    let him go.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Hmmm my first instinct is that you should apologize for being so crass with your response. He may have Irresponsible for not holding up his end of the race bargain but you totally disrespected him. I wouldn't call you back either. Sorry
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hmmm my first instinct is that you should apologize for being so crass with your response. He may have Irresponsible for not holding up his end of the race bargain but you totally disrespected him. I wouldn't call you back either. Sorry

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty. I knew heat of the moment it seemed like a great idea. But yeah, been thinking probably bad idea.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

don't call or text.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Oh, hell no. He's an idiot. He blew it. You were right to be mad. Don't you dare go crawling back.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    So, everyone, I need an opinion.

Quick back story: I have what I like to call my "lightswitch" boyfriend. We are on off on off on off. Already redflagging, right?! Well that's not what I'm here for. We have long periods of off in there, it's not a weekly thing, but it's been going on for like 5 years. We just always end up back with each other. Ok. So that's the background.

This time: We've been together for like... 8 months this time. Really good. We have been training for the color run, he's been all excited about it, I've been SUPER excited for it (I paid for it for him to do it with me since he couldn't afford it), and just been overall pumped for it to happen.

So Friday night rolls around, and I told him he should probably just sleep over at my place, so we could just get up and go. He said ok. Then he went to the bar with his friends like always. I told him I'd be up till 11 if he was going to come over. If not he better be at my place at 7 am sharp. He didn't come up, but said he'd be there at 7 in the morning.

Next morning, 7 rolls around... 7:05... 7:10... some phone calls and texts..... 7:20 and still nothing. So I left and told him to meet me. At 7:45 I asked my best friend, who was coming to take pictures, if he'd run with me and I'd give him the boyfriends stuff. So I called the boyfriend and still no answer, so I left a message. At 7:57 (mind you the race started at 8am) I get this text: "dang clock." I was so angry and just texted back "f*** you".

I'll admit, I probably shouldn't have said that but I was just so annoyed. So since then.... he has not apologized, texted, called, or made any attempts at communication with me. I was expecting at least a "OMG I'm so sorry!" or something... I don't know.

I'm not mad he missed the race, now. What I'm mad about is the fact that he hasn't apologized or said ANYTHING to me.

So now, 4 days later, I'm wondering... should I text/call him? Or just wait and see how long he actually goes and if he ever does apologize.... I've been struggling with this all day.

Thanks.

p.s. The color run was AWESOME.

If its been off and on again and he did this you should probably just dump him and find someone who respects you more. You had all right to say what you did to him out of anger, it was very rude and disrespectful on his part so why show him any curiosity? The next text you should send him is that you guys are done and don't have contact with him.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If he cant understand that you were upset because he was irresponsible, then there is no point in who communicates first. You paid for the race, you offerred to help with transport, and you even provided wake up service. This guy has it made with you and he probably knows it.

Unless you like that kind of treatment, don't bother reaching out.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    you say you are on/off/on/off, so he's getting the message it's alright to treat you with disrespect, so he walks all over you.

and you expect him to say 'sorry'?

not gonna happen.

why do you keep taking him back anyway? does he shoot sparks out of his *kitten* or something?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

If its been off and on again and he did this you should probably just dump him and find someone who respects you more. You had all right to say what you did to him out of anger, it was very rude and disrespectful on his part so why show him any curiosity? The next text you should send him is that you guys are done and don't have contact with him.

This.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    You want to run back to him? Really? No offense, but what the hell are you thinking? All you did was send a text...he didn't show up to his commitment, nor did he attempt to contact you, apologize to you or anything.

You went through planning, paying, waiting, worrying, and finding another partner so you wouldn't have to go through this alone and you want to run back to him? I just don't get it.

Look, if you want to contact him, I'd say go ahead. I don't understand why, but you have your reasons.

On a side note, I heard someone say once: If your relationship is on/off over and over again, what makes you think it won't be that way when you're married? He made a compelling case and I tend to agree with him. I'm sure there are cases where it can work...but I've seen that most don't. Either way...good luck to you.
  • MontanaTearDrop2012
    Options
    I would NOT call or text. I agree with you that you shouldn't have sent your last text but his passive approach to this situation is not respectable. Move on and find a healthy relationship with someone who will respect and value you, your time, and support your goals.
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    If this has been going on for five years, you guys either need to see a counselor to see where the issues are or just let it go...this wondering what the other person is thinking limbo isn't adult at all..these conversations should be able to be had and must be had..its no way to live

p.s.-I'm working off limited information here
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would NOT call or text. I agree with you that you shouldn't have sent your last text but his passive approach to this situation is not respectable. Move on and find a healthy relationship with someone who will respect and value you, your time, and support your goals.

^^ Agree!! ^^
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    He is using you...dump him and find a guy that will respect you.
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he needs to do a little growing up. A simple "**** you" should be a wake up call that your mad and if he doesnt care enough to make things better or fix things he isnt worth your time id say. Find someone who wants to be there in your life and show you the respect you need. Just my 2 cents....
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Lose him! He had multiple offenses. You're in college now right? This is the perfect time to meet some really nice, better-quality guys. It gets a little harder once you're out of college.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    End it. Done. Over.
    He goes to the bar every Friday night with his friends? I understand time alone, but every Friday night... even before a big event that the two of you were doing together?
    Doesn't seem worth holding onto IMO. You need to have more value in yourself than settling for that sort of treatment.
    Just my take.

Good luck.
    Jen
  • Jjw1125
    Jjw1125 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    While I could see how your reply may upset him as well, I really don't think it should warrant 4 days of him ignoring you. In my opinion, it doesn't sound like he is worth the time you are wasting on him by waiting by the phone. If it has been on and off, there are more underlying issues than just this incident. He seems extremely inconsiderate and disrespectful to you. Immaturity at its best. Why not forget about him, and find a guy that will treat you the way you deserve to be treated. Maybe one that supports you.

Josh
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    To call/text him or not to call/text....

Didn't even read the post. Simple answer. No. Whenever these types of questions pop up, answer is always no.

No buts, if's. Unless you're pregnant and he's the father, donot call him
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Drop him like a wet jockstrap.