Eat back all of your exercise calories or you WILL DIE.

Options

Replies

• almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    . You're the one bashing her. Basically saying she doesn't need to be here b/c she's using another plan! and when someone starts a sentence with "Not to be rude" is just politely saying, I'm being rude, but please forgive me. Get your panties out of a wad and let people do what they wanna do.

You go, girl!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Breakfast and Mid-morning Snack: Luna bar, fruit and/or oatmeal
    Lunch: Chargrilled Chik fil a Sandwich (3 grams of fat.. I recommend!) with fruit cup OR a subway turkeybreast.
    Snack: Almonds, protein bar
    Dinner: Lean Cuisine (carbs after work out)
    Snack: Fruit popsicle and/or sugarfree jell-o as a treat.

So, as you can see, I am eating. Quite often. And, in my opinion, quite good food!

One serving of fruit per day? Possibly? Maybe 2 if you count a fruit cup. Any veggies? I don't really consider a Luna bar, protein bar or Lean Cuisine real food. Maybe as needed but not instead of real food the majority of the time. So if that is "quite good food" in your opinion, I'm going to disagree with your opinion.

That's fine if you do! If you have time after 10 hours of work and 1 hour of exercise and then a shower to cook, my hat is off to you. Veggies are on salads I eat, snacks I consume, or sandwiches I eat. Not all of us have the time or money in the world to eat an ideal meal every day (not saying you DO, just saying I don't :).
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't want to put anyone on blast, but I am seeing posts from quite a few people in support of eating calories back who've only lost 4-5 pounds and have been on MFP for 1-2 years. I don't see how that's working for you??

!!!!!!
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Pretty much! Everyone has an opinion, I get that but some people make it seem like it's their way or it can't work. I have lost 110lbs and only eat 1200 calories even still. I don't eat back my calories. It works for me. I have tried to eat them back, don't work for me I gain weight doing that. Everyone's body works differently.
    you will lose weight faster if you eat back those cals

This doesn't make sense. Has anyone got any copies of scientific journal articles that have experiments of people testing this theory?
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I do eat back my exercise calories, or so I thought I did. MFP had me set at 1470, I would burn between 100-475 cals/day depending on which TF workout I did. Some days I didn't eat over 1600 calories, but I still have been losing.

I just now went and re-figured out my BMR/TDEE, etc.
    BMR is 1430, TDEE is 2217. So for me to lose 1 lb/week, I'd have to eat 1717 cals/day. PLUS try to eat what I exercised, right? (I hope this is right!)

I have about 15 more lbs to lose, so I want to be sure I'm getting it right. But my point was that I do and will eat back my exercise calories since it has been working for me, and because I'm so hungry on the hard workout days :-)

If you base your calorie intake off your TDEE-500 (or -1000 or -20% or whatever) then you do not need to eat back exercise calories because they are already figured into your base level. MFP doesn't factor the exercise in when it figures your deficit, so if you use their base calorie level then you do need to eat them back. Does that make sense?

So even though I add in my exercise to my diary, and my calorie "allotment" goes up, I do not have to eat the extra ones it gives me?

Right. You can add the exercise minutes to reach a goal, but put the calories burned as "0" so that it doesn't add on.

For me, a TDEE-15% cut eaten every day is roughly equal to netting MFP's .5 lbs/week calorie target. It's a modest goal, but 6 months or a year from now I'll be at goal and it won't have been hard to do.

Ok, thank you. So I shouldn't even put in the exercise, really. Unless I want to see the daily burn estimate.

So like I wrote in my original post, I should stay at 1717 calories to lose a lb per week. So does that mean I'm *not* going to eat my exercise calories then? LOL, sorry OP, for the mini-hijack, I've always been in favor of eating back exercise cals :-)
  • angelb1983
    Options
    I dont really care one way or another. All I do know is I have tried lower calorie diets (not eating exercise calories back) I have gotten so far,nearly to goal, and then gained it back....so I really wanna try to eat them back just to see what happens.So far I have not felt deprived which has been another reason why certain plans have not worked for me. Not eating them back may work for some people (I know it would work for me too) but what concerns me is the long run. Anyway....this whole thing is very interesting to me and I believe both groups of people have very valid points....but for me I'm gonna try to eat some of them back and see how it works for now...Even if it takes a little longer to get it off Im in it for the long haul....so tired of losing just to regain...Maybe this time it will work for good :smile:
  • angelb1983
    Options
    I don't want to put anyone on blast, but I am seeing posts from quite a few people in support of eating calories back who've only lost 4-5 pounds and have been on MFP for 1-2 years. I don't see how that's working for you??

If you are talking about me....I have been on MFP since 2010 (just cause people were talking about the app) I never used the app till Monday....I'm super excited about this program and the fact I have already lost 2 pounds since Monday!! I'm neither for or against eating them back. I really think it's a personal preference. Nobody elses buisness....I have just found that I have gained weight back by doing low carb, Weight Watchers etc....because I gave up a lot and then started binge eating. With this program I have yet to feel deprived. Sometimes I eat them back sometimes I dont.....Whatever people choose....To each their own :smile: Whatever you choose I wish u and everyone else luck....
  • angelb1983
    Options

If you are talking about me....I have been on MFP since 2010 (just cause people were talking about the app) I never used the app till Monday....I'm super excited about this program and the fact I have already lost 2 pounds since Monday!! I'm neither for or against eating them back. I really think it's a personal preference. Nobody elses buisness....I have just found that I have gained weight back by doing low carb, Weight Watchers etc....because I gave up a lot and then started binge eating. With this program I have yet to feel deprived. Sometimes I eat them back sometimes I dont.....Whatever people choose....To each their own :smile: Whatever you choose I wish u and everyone else luck....

Ok....so I feel really stupid...you posted this before I even posted my post :wink: New to all this and not sure I can delete after I posted....Yeah...if people were really doing the program steadily for 1-2 years it would be hard to use their advice....Im just gonna see how it works...so far so good
  • evansrabbitranch
    Options

The "FOOD" tab, "Exercise" tab, "TOOLS" tab, and the "Community" tab are tools. A plan for dieting is something that you follow strict guidelines and has meals, and different foods to choose from. This site, Weight Watchers and the such where you control it are tools and guidelines, and are made for lifestyle changes. People can use "PLANS" though to go along with their "TOOLS" and "GUIDELINES" until they are comfortable to do it without a plan. after the "plan" is up, hopefully they can just use the tools and guidelines. Plans are meant for short term, but tools and guidelines are meant for a lifetime. That's the difference. Just like people calling this site a "DIET". it's not a "DIET", it's something you use (Tools and guidelines) to make a lifetime change in your life. Some people though, need to wean themselves into a lifestyle change, by starting with a plan. or some people just like to use a plan b/c of the recipes or it gives them something strict to use instead of using just tools and guidelines so they don't have to worry about falling off track...

Hmm....if this site isn't a plan then I don't have one. I could not follow any plan that tells me exact meals to eat and not to eat. The whole calories vs workout thing this site has going on will be my salvation if I stick to the intake recommended and try to limit my naughty foods. I can'd do low carb, I get dizzy. I can't do high protein I get headaches. So, I eat without worrying too much about that type of stuff, mostly I limit salt and sugar intake.
  • Aubreestar
    Options
    I wonder if the people who argue the most on these message boards lose more weight than the people who don't argue?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Now if one eats all their exercise calories back than how is someone loosing weight?
    I am doing Jamie Easons lifefit plan and I sure a daisy don't eat all my exercise calories.
    Lost 9 pounds so far, and with her eating plan, even with less calories your body does not have time to get starving.

Haha that's what I was thinking!! Just seems like an excuse to eat more and not gain weight-- which would happen, but I want to lose!! I eat every two hours a day. I just get some "tiffs" sometimes. HATAS GON HATE.

So what exactly was the purpose of you post other than to start the same old sh*tstorm about this same old topic? It is pretty obvious you already have your mind made up - so what were you trying to achieve.

And what the h*ll is wrong with using exercise as an excuse to eat more.....sounds like a pretty damn good reason to me. Well, that and the cardiovascular improvement of cardio and body composition improvements of strength training. Who exactly is the 'hata' here? If done properly (using reasonable estimates and tracking) people will lose weight because there is already a deficit built into the base number.

Since you asked about the purpose of my post. I was only answering the original post. I did not know that the answers have to be in sinc with the majority of the people.

I was not referring to you - the quote above my answer was from the OP - so this is the post I was referring to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Check out a guy called EdDavenport - he has lost over 300lb and he fuels his workouts (aka. eats his calories back).

ETA: I effectively eat mine back and am losing 1lb a week. I am nearing my goal weight so I purposely eating more and decreasing my deficit to 1/2lb a week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Pretty much! Everyone has an opinion, I get that but some people make it seem like it's their way or it can't work. I have lost 110lbs and only eat 1200 calories even still. I don't eat back my calories. It works for me. I have tried to eat them back, don't work for me I gain weight doing that. Everyone's body works differently.
    you will lose weight faster if you eat back those cals

This doesn't make sense. Has anyone got any copies of scientific journal articles that have experiments of people testing this theory?

I believe in generally at least eating some of your exercise calories back, and this makes no sense to me either.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've never counted exercise calories nor ate them back. You won't really know for sure exactly what your exercise expenditure is anyway. And I find it much simpler to set a lower absolute deficit.

Note that this is different than saying that I don't eat before/during/after my workouts, which is not the case (unless I am glycogen depleting).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I've never counted exercise calories nor ate them back. You won't really know for sure exactly what your exercise expenditure is anyway. And I find it much simpler to set a lower absolute deficit.

Note that this is different than saying that I don't eat before/during/after my workouts, which is not the case (unless I am glycogen depleting).

This is a good point. I think the main issue with not eating calories back is when someone has a large base deficit and then burns a load of calories through exercise - this potentially creates an excessive deficit. If the base deficit is smaller, this is less of an issue, especially when you are not looking at significant burns during exercise.

Edited to fix typos
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    OK. My goal achieved through MFP. And I followed it like the bible. Love this site. Love my plan. Thinkin I may try to trim another 5 ALONG with strength. No advice needed. Got my peeps. Just follow the plan or tool, whichever...!!!!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

This is a good point. I think the main issue with not eating calories back is when someone has a large base deficit and then burns a load of calories through exercise - this potentially creates an excessive deficit. If the base deficit is smaller, this is less of an issue, especially when you are not looking at significant burns during exercise.

Edited to fix typos
    I agree with gluco, have never eaten back exercise cals. IMO deficit should be determine by body comp. When I was 25% bf, a 1000 cal deficit was no problem. At 8%, totally different story (~300 cal). If I were 40%, I would probably VLCD it up. Current body comp is a huge factor in what kind of deficit you can carry.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the people who argue the most on these message boards lose more weight than the people who don't argue?

I wonder if they log the calories burned typing and then eat them back?:laugh: :laugh:
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

I wonder if they log the calories burned typing and then eat them back?:laugh: :laugh:

Haha, this made me LOL!!