Eat back all of your exercise calories or you WILL DIE.

Options

Replies

• meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Pretty much! Everyone has an opinion, I get that but some people make it seem like it's their way or it can't work. I have lost 110lbs and only eat 1200 calories even still. I don't eat back my calories. It works for me. I have tried to eat them back, don't work for me I gain weight doing that. Everyone's body works differently.

If this is true, and you gain weight eating back your excersise calories then your body must be in some kind of starvation mode IMO. That would make your BMR around 500 calories a day.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I do eat back my exercise calories, or so I thought I did. MFP had me set at 1470, I would burn between 100-475 cals/day depending on which TF workout I did. Some days I didn't eat over 1600 calories, but I still have been losing.

I just now went and re-figured out my BMR/TDEE, etc.
    BMR is 1430, TDEE is 2217. So for me to lose 1 lb/week, I'd have to eat 1717 cals/day. PLUS try to eat what I exercised, right? (I hope this is right!)

I have about 15 more lbs to lose, so I want to be sure I'm getting it right. But my point was that I do and will eat back my exercise calories since it has been working for me, and because I'm so hungry on the hard workout days :-)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I do eat back my exercise calories, or so I thought I did. MFP had me set at 1470, I would burn between 100-475 cals/day depending on which TF workout I did. Some days I didn't eat over 1600 calories, but I still have been losing.

BMR is 1430, TDEE is 2217. So for me to lose 1 lb/week, I'd have to eat 1717 cals/day. PLUS try to eat what I exercised, right? (I hope this is right!)

I have about 15 more lbs to lose, so I want to be sure I'm getting it right. But my point was that I do and will eat back my exercise calories since it has been working for me, and because I'm so hungry on the hard workout days :-)

If you base your calorie intake off your TDEE-500 (or -1000 or -20% or whatever) then you do not need to eat back exercise calories because they are already figured into your base level. MFP doesn't factor the exercise in when it figures your deficit, so if you use their base calorie level then you do need to eat them back. Does that make sense?
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

If you base your calorie intake off your TDEE-500 (or -1000 or -20% or whatever) then you do not need to eat back exercise calories because they are already figured into your base level. MFP doesn't factor the exercise in when it figures your deficit, so if you use their base calorie level then you do need to eat them back. Does that make sense?

So even though I add in my exercise to my diary, and my calorie "allotment" goes up, I do not have to eat the extra ones it gives me?
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My so called cheat day is eating my exercise cals back. Otherwise I don't.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

So even though I add in my exercise to my diary, and my calorie "allotment" goes up, I do not have to eat the extra ones it gives me?

Right. You can add the exercise minutes to reach a goal, but put the calories burned as "0" so that it doesn't add on.

For me, a TDEE-15% cut eaten every day is roughly equal to netting MFP's .5 lbs/week calorie target. It's a modest goal, but 6 months or a year from now I'll be at goal and it won't have been hard to do.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    My so called cheat day is eating my exercise cals back. Otherwise I don't.

Do you track calories on a cheat day? Do you know how many you're eating?
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    Sometimes I do...sometimes I don't. It depends on the day AND everyone is different. Do what works for YOU and what makes YOU feel comfortable. :happy:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Now if one eats all their exercise calories back than how is someone loosing weight?
    I am doing Jamie Easons lifefit plan and I sure a daisy don't eat all my exercise calories.
    Lost 9 pounds so far, and with her eating plan, even with less calories your body does not have time to get starving.
    Not to be rude, but if you are following another plan, why are you here? This is a plan. It's called MFP and is designed differently from other plans. I try to stick to it like the bible. Just like someone would treat Weight Watchers. Do what works for you! But don't bash what works for others.

Sorry honey, MFP is NOT a plan!
    Look at the fine print (all the legalese), the way MFP is set up is designed to prevent lawsuits.
    Everybody here is doing something different, just peek around the different groups and open your mind!
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    No one should eat less than 1200 calories a day. You simply are not giving your body what it needs if you are eating less than that. I don't know anything about the starvation mode thing, it has never been anything I have ever had to worry about. As far as eating back exercise calories, I think you should go by how you feel. I wasn't eating them back at first, but eating the low calorie amount wasn't something I could maintain.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do just fine on 1200 a day and NOT eating back my exercise calories most days. I'm losing about 1 pound a week and I do not feel deprived. I will sometimes eat less than 1200/day when I just don't have the appetite.

I did try eating 20% below my TDEE and gained 8 pounds after 2 months of that. I gained both pounds and inches and my pants weren't fitting anymore. I switched back to 1200/day and I've finally lost that weight after a month.

This is what works for me.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I guess I never knew that MFP was a "plan". I use it as a great tool to track my calories, food and exercise. I have my own plan, one that seems to work for me just fine.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but if you are following another plan, why are you here? This is a plan. It's called MFP and is designed differently from other plans. I try to stick to it like the bible. Just like someone would treat Weight Watchers. Do what works for you! But don't bash what works for others.

I'm here because myfitnesspal.com is probably the largest online messageboard there is. That's all. I do my own thing in terms of deciding how much food to eat. I never log my food here, nor my exercise.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Now if one eats all their exercise calories back than how is someone loosing weight?
    I am doing Jamie Easons lifefit plan and I sure a daisy don't eat all my exercise calories.
    Lost 9 pounds so far, and with her eating plan, even with less calories your body does not have time to get starving.

I thought MFP was a place to log WHATEVER plan you go with. MPF is set up just as every other basic calculating app or program. Most do not account for everyone's lifestyle and body. Also, the previous comment doesn't sound like bashing what works for others but yours does....specifically when you say, "Why are you here?" Not for that...
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Oh no it's STARVATION MODE. Run, people!

--P
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Read this topic http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science from what I understand true starvation mode will not even set in until you hit about 6 percent BF. As you eat less your BMR will slow down but this can be offset by excercise. I ate about 1600 Cal a day my minumum never ate back any excercise caloires and I am doing GREAT run 8 miles a day 5-6 days a week a longer on the weekends spend most of my work day on my feet moving. I do eat closer to 2200 cal now my minimum maintaince cal but I do not eal all my excercise Cal back. THis has woked wonderful for me for the last 2 years. Get informed so you can make the best decision for yourself.

This is what I've heard, too.

I'm the OP, by the way-- in case you were wondering why I'm about to spew information at you:

If you are curious, I am:

5'4"
    167 lb
    23 years old

Started at 183-185 lb.

My meals (usually)

Breakfast and Mid-morning Snack: Luna bar, fruit and/or oatmeal
    Lunch: Chargrilled Chik fil a Sandwich (3 grams of fat.. I recommend!) with fruit cup OR a subway turkeybreast.
    Snack: Almonds, protein bar
    Dinner: Lean Cuisine (carbs after work out)
    Snack: Fruit popsicle and/or sugarfree jell-o as a treat.

So, as you can see, I am eating. Quite often. And, in my opinion, quite good food! I think it's yummy. I'm lactose intolerant, so it limits what I can and cannot eat.

So there you have it! ~1200 calories a day. I burn off anywhere from 400 - 600, 6 days a week, on the elliptical.

I do NOT eat my exercise calories back. I do not feel the need for a cheat day (just a few cheat "bites" once a week, or a birthday party nibble once a month ;)

EDIT:: My TDEE is 2705. o___O
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't want to put anyone on blast, but I am seeing posts from quite a few people in support of eating calories back who've only lost 4-5 pounds and have been on MFP for 1-2 years. I don't see how that's working for you??
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    You don't have to eat them back if you don't want to.

Let me explain where the thinking comes from though....

If your TDEE is 2300 and you want to lose 2lbs a week your deficit is 1000 calories.
    MFP sets you at 1300.
    You're already in a deficit so eating exercise cals back keeps you at that 1000 calorie deficit.

That's all it is.

Love it! bumpity bump
  • michellekicks
    Options

Breakfast and Mid-morning Snack: Luna bar, fruit and/or oatmeal
    Lunch: Chargrilled Chik fil a Sandwich (3 grams of fat.. I recommend!) with fruit cup OR a subway turkeybreast.
    Snack: Almonds, protein bar
    Dinner: Lean Cuisine (carbs after work out)
    Snack: Fruit popsicle and/or sugarfree jell-o as a treat.

So, as you can see, I am eating. Quite often. And, in my opinion, quite good food!

One serving of fruit per day? Possibly? Maybe 2 if you count a fruit cup. Any veggies? I don't really consider a Luna bar, protein bar or Lean Cuisine real food. Maybe as needed but not instead of real food the majority of the time. So if that is "quite good food" in your opinion, I'm going to disagree with your opinion.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    What is this business about starvation mode? I find myself wrapped up in these "debates" with people telling me that eating 1200 and not eating back my calories from exercise will make me starve. Not everybody eats their calories back, and they are fine. Is this just another example of people thinking they know everything and they know it best, or is this a legitimate concern?

Yup. Never ate an exercise calorie back in my life and the couple nutrition experts I know (2 are doctors) laughed at the concept. It's just a least optimal approach that MFP uses.