Being fat is just easier..

Options
Why do I lose my motivation so quickly?!?? I have my days where I get so pumped up to exercise and eat healthy but then a few days later or even weeks I just completely lose it. Idk if anyone can help ('cause I'm sure this is more of a mental thing) but, why can't I stay motivated? And what keeps you motivated??

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    First of all ask yourself why do you want to lose weight. Is it for health reasons, to fit back into that cute dress you had when you were teenager, to look great on your wedding or reunions that you'll be attending or because somebody tells you? And are you ready to make some sacrifices for it? Because if you only doing this for those external reasons other than your overall health you'll not get the motivation you need to stay on track.

As for myself, I think about my diabetes, PCOS & those heavy TOM moments before & how my new lifestyle help improved it. That if I slip back into my old habits then my condition would get worse.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    but being fit is more fun
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    eh, some aspects of being fat is easier.
    most suck. maybe when you get older you'll realize it!

i do low carb. i know it works, so i stay motivated. losing inches and seeing the number on the scale go down is the best motivation.

''being fat is hard.
    losing weight is hard.
    pick your hard.''

may not apply to you, but i repeat this over and over when i workout
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just get back up each time. Learning to redirect the negative self-talk is critical. Those little voices saying "I'm too tired", "It's just one ....", "I'll do it tomorrow" have to be changed to "I can do something even if it's just for a few minutes", "All it takes is one and it takes more than that to work it off", "No better time than today and I can do even more tomorrow".

You're very correct that the mental is the biggest obstacle. Whenever I don't want to workout, I just go ahead and start changing into my workout clothes anyway. Once I get started, I can keep going. Basically, move your body and your mind will follow.

See this fitness journey as something that you will not allow to defeat you.
  • michaelispas
    michaelispas Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's hard working out alone. I know, it happened to me before. I started working out with my girlfriend and it got a lot easier.

It also makes me feel better if I have a specific nutrition guideline to follow everyday and know what to eat, what not to eat. Also knowing what to do for a workout each day is essential to consistency. What's your exercises like? Biking? Running?
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within. Others may help and encourage, remind you of why you're doing something, but you have to look inside yourself for the intrinsic motivation first. Noone make you do anything if you don't want to do it. Its called free will. Noone's here to guilt you or judge you into staying on track. It's up to you, if you want to.

Set your self a goal, not necessarily a weight goal, but a picture of how you want to see your self in 2 months, 3 months out to 12 months. It has to inspire you because out of that inspiration will come your motivation. Make sure it's something that is achievable or you're doomed from the start, but at the same time, make sure their is some challenge in it too.

Hope this helps and good luck :o)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Why do I lose my motivation so quickly?!?? I have my days where I get so pumped up to exercise and eat healthy but then a few days later or even weeks I just completely lose it. Idk if anyone can help ('cause I'm sure this is more of a mental thing) but, why can't I stay motivated? And what keeps you motivated??

I decided to change my habits (both eating and exercise wise) because of a family members health issues. I am determined that both of us are going to be the healthiest we can be. The weight loss for me is a happy benefit not a necessity.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard if you set yourself unrealistic goals.

If you set yourself small, achievable goals ("eat a healthy breakfast every day this week", "exercise for 15 mins every day this week", "no soda for three days") then it's much easier.

If you set out to eat 1200 cals a day, exercise for 2 hours every day - hell yeah, it's going to be hard!
    Then you'll probably give up and feel bad. Again.

Be realistic, accept that you aren't going to wake up next week 10 pounds lighter but that if you eat well (not too little, not too much) and you do some regular exercise (which doesn't even have to be every day) then you might well be 10 pounds (or a whole lot more!) lighter by Christmas.
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bumppp
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    As for myself, I think about my diabetes, PCOS & those heavy TOM moments before & how my new lifestyle help improved it. That if I slip back into my old habits then my condition would get worse.

Did the weight loss really help the PCOS and heavy TOM moments? The biggest problem I have with PCOS is the hair growth and I'm hoping that if I lose enough then it will stop growing!!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

TRUST Me, being Fat is one of the Hardest things in the world to be! And as you age, it will get even worse, the toll it takes on your Body! Do something different, join the Eat More 2 Weigh Less Group. You can not lose weight unless you have a Plan that you can LIVE with, day in and day out. Do yourself a favor, check them out under Groups. Then after about 4-6 weeks of a solid try, if you want to quit on yourself, do it.
  • znkmommy
    znkmommy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Its not easy to be fat and go upstairs.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't know if being fat is easier, but I had more free time since I wasn't exercising and meal planning was easier...
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I agree with LaMujerMasBonita! I also use to loose (or is it lose?) motivation after max two weeks. My MFP friends really helps me staying on tracks. They keep reminding me of my goal. I would disappoint them and myself, if I gave up. For a motivation, I keep a cute dress in a too small size on the outside of my closet. I want to wear it at a special occasion later this summer. It keeps reminding me not to have that burger or icecream. Also, I have a goal that I want to attemp a 5k run. Right now I have no conditioning and can hardly run for two minutes without droppen dead.... But I have a specific goal I want to achieve for ME!

I hope you will keep your motivation this time and stay on track. You deserve the life you want.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Exclusively health reasons. Aesthetics is a close second.

I cannot afford hospitalization, surgeries, and long term prescription medication.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Health, sense of well being, comfort and self esteem are all reasons that I stay motivated for. Being healthy is waaaay easier than not, at least that's my opinion.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I had this thinking once.. about 5 months ago.

"Oh well, my fiance said he loves me at any size. I can eat another slice of pizza... It doesnt matter."

It does matter... and only you can decide if you are ready to take the next step and be responsible.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Join a gym and hire a trainer for once a week. You will stay on track because you know you have to be accountable to someone other than yourself, and there is lots of motivation around you at the gym.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    being fat isnt easier, you're just afraid of change :smile:

don;t be afraid. yes you will need to make several improvements to your life and you might have to confront the psychological reasons why you gained and kept the weight on. that might be hard but the improvements you make on yourself externally and internally will be worth it.
    just imagine the YOU who stuck with it looking back into the past and cheering the now you on from the future :happy:

you can do this!

also as i frequently remind myself, motivation isnt necessary. you dont need to be motivated to do this, but you do need to be committed to your goals and whatever the initial reasons were you wanted to lose weight. for instance i'm not always motivated to brush my teeth and floss before i go to sleep, but i am committed to not getting cavities so the brushing and flossing gets done
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I think it's hard if you set yourself unrealistic goals.

If you set yourself small, achievable goals ("eat a healthy breakfast every day this week", "exercise for 15 mins every day this week", "no soda for three days") then it's much easier.

If you set out to eat 1200 cals a day, exercise for 2 hours every day - hell yeah, it's going to be hard!
    Then you'll probably give up and feel bad. Again.

Be realistic, accept that you aren't going to wake up next week 10 pounds lighter but that if you eat well (not too little, not too much) and you do some regular exercise (which doesn't even have to be every day) then you might well be 10 pounds (or a whole lot more!) lighter by Christmas.

This!