tips for helping drink water

Options
1235»

Replies

• HarlequinnAsh
    Options
    I started drinking flavored seltzer water, make sure it doesnt have anything added in, it should be zero calories, sugar and sodium all around. Then progress to swapping it out for water. I drink water with 2tbsp lemon for taste.

If its incentive, I saw this picture of someone who had two water bottles labeled with times. 9am-11am-1pm-3pm etc. So you know you need to drink a certain amount in that time frame. It helps remind you to drink more often. Once you drink more then you crave it more. I started with a 32oz bottle daily and now I drink up to 3-32oz bottles. I've also noticed I need cold water after exercises, or during but for regular drinking room temperature is easier to drink more of.
  • It is the trick of the mind if u add a color to the water it will make it easier to drink it...i learn this trick by accident one day i was craving a strawberry soda and i brought the grt value brand (mio drops) but i did not put the entire drop in the water i just put enough in to give it a tint color with a faint taste of the flavor and every-time i drink it i dilute it a lil bit more...hope this help u with ur water intake..gud luck on the water intake
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend any add ins but I do recommend investing in a plastic tumbler with a straw. For whatever reason, having the see through tumbler and straw makes all the difference for me drinking water. I now drink at least 5 full 32oz tumblers of water a day!

This! Something about sipping from a straw makes the water disappear- !
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    I used to be the same way, but now I drink two liters a day. I got the liter Fiji bottle and now I just fill it up. The first bottle is usually finished during and after my work out. And then just fill it back up, and drink from it every now and again. I actually drink water now more than anything. When I used to get a soda or cup of juice when I got thirty, I just drink the water I have with me. Drinking two liters throughout the day is simple. If you prolong it, then you'll definitely be able to do it.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I use a ton of ice and a straw, and only drink water and tea. Your mouth gets used to it.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Use a clean glass or cup.
    Fill from the tap by holding the glass under the faucet and opening the Cold water valve
    Be careful not to overfill. When drinking receptacle is nearly full, shut off the cold water valve.

This next part can be done sitting down or standing up. If you are just starting out, we recommend sitting down in order to avoid injury.

Hold glass with the hand of your choice and in a slow, steady motion, raise it until the rim of the glass is level with your lips.
    Press the rim to your lips
    Tilt the glass toward you until water enters your mouth. It will take some practice and finesse to get the right amount of tilt.
    Tilt the glass back again so that it is perpendicular to the ground
    Swallow the water
    Repeat the previous 3 steps until the glass is empty.

If desired, the glass can be "refilled", and the whole process repeated. Stay tuned for my 3-part series, "Water Refills. Fluid Dynamics and Hydration Made Easy", where I will cover refills in depth.
    :laugh:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I wish I would crave it and I don't drink anything except 2 cups of coffee in the a.m. and one 5 oz. glass of cranberry juice in the evening. Weird hey! Since I started here though I am drinking at least four 8 oz glasses(bottled water that 16 oz per bottle). So doing better:)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    In this heat in the South that we've had lately, I've been drinking a ton of water. I cut out all drinks except water and tea with supper a couple of times a week. I still miss my Dr. Pepper sometimes but most of the time once the water is there I'm fine.

My water has to have tons of ice in it. I don't like to drink out of a bottle and I don't really like to drink from a straw (a bariatric doctor here tells his patients not to use a straw because the air that is swallowed can cause bloating in the stomach...I've never hard that before....maybe that's just after surgery??...I don't know...found that interesting).

I've tried putting the fruits in the water, strawberries, lemons, etc....but, to me, it just tastes like water that has set in the fridge and picked up "ice box" flavors...ugh....really wanted to like that strawberry water...that sounded so good.

Water....it's good!!!
  • thejen75
    thejen75 Posts: 90
    Options
    this may sound strange, but I find I can drink more water when I put ice water into my bottle with a straw in it- try it :-)
  • thejen75
    thejen75 Posts: 90
    Options
    I drink A LOT of water daily!!! But I have noticed drinking from a straw helps a lot and sometimes I add a slice of lemon or crystal light just for a change. Eventually everything else will be grose and water will be all you want to drink. :)

Yep! She has the right idea. :-)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    this actually keeps me from food if I am not really hungry. I've noticed that being thirsty or even dehydrated can disguise itself as hunger. So yes, I for one try to drink a little water before I eat. Like if it's 4 and I feel hungry but don't usually eat dinner til 5 I will try the water and it works. Plus I need to drink more water anyway:) denise
  • sabrinamunin
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what's been said - a clear cup with a straw is good, just keep it at hand at all times. Refill it as soon as you empty it. I find if I refill my big glass as soon as it's empty and keep it right beside my keyboard, I'll drink like 4 of them in a work day. If I don't immediately refill it I'll suddenly realize a couple hours later that I'm really thirsty because I haven't been drinking my water! You just get in the habit of sipping it throughout the day if it's right there. Try different temperatures as well, you might like it better one way than another.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Colored water bottles, tumblers with straws, & ice.

I have a green 64oz jug (got it for cheap at Rite Aid), a blue 25oz water bottle with a straw, an orange 28oz bottle, a polka dot 16oz tumbler, & a blue 24oz tumbler (got it for $5 at walmart).

Beginning of the year I could barely drink 2 16oz Poland Spring bottles, now I get double digits easily.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Use a clean glass or cup.
    Fill from the tap by holding the glass under the faucet and opening the Cold water valve
    Be careful not to overfill. When drinking receptacle is nearly full, shut off the cold water valve.

This next part can be done sitting down or standing up. If you are just starting out, we recommend sitting down in order to avoid injury.

Hold glass with the hand of your choice and in a slow, steady motion, raise it until the rim of the glass is level with your lips.
    Press the rim to your lips
    Tilt the glass toward you until water enters your mouth. It will take some practice and finesse to get the right amount of tilt.
    Tilt the glass back again so that it is perpendicular to the ground
    Swallow the water
    Repeat the previous 3 steps until the glass is empty.

If desired, the glass can be "refilled", and the whole process repeated. Stay tuned for my 3-part series, "Water Refills. Fluid Dynamics and Hydration Made Easy", where I will cover refills in depth.

:laugh: This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title of this thread!
  • thanks for that tip, Neva thught of doing this one
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It was hard adjustment at first. I used to go to toilet very often. Slowly I was able to drink more.

Slice of lemon is very refreshing.

First I used plastic pop up bottles, but they hold bacteria very easily, so I switched to glass bottles.
    I have few different size bottles - one bottle next to my bed, another in living room when I watch TV and one next to computer.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    This may have been mentioned, but the Crystal Light (and other generic brands) are great. Cheap, and last a long time. I have the grape energy in the morning (equivalent to two energy drinks, but I get my water), and there is also a nice green tea/peach one, lemonade, cherry limeade, etc, etc. I plow through water with them.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone that yells at me every hour between 9am and 11pm to drink more water. Needed it at first, now I've gotten used to drinking 10+ cups a day. I also don't drink anything else, so that may have something to do with it as well. I cut out soda, Dunkin Donuts coffee, everything. Sometimes I'll have milk with cereal (on my days off) and every once in a while I'll buy Simply Lemonade, but I'll mix 4oz of that with about 16oz of water to dilute it.
  • sbeaman85
    sbeaman85 Posts: 1
    Options
    I sit at a desk and work on a computer all day, so it is easy for me to drink water. I have been drinking a gallon a day for the past year and my metabolism has shot through the roof!

So, this is what I do: I drink my water from a milk jug through a SUPER long straw (It's like 2 feet long lol). When I first started this I started slow- for a couple of days I drank a quarter-gallon, and slowly worked my way up to 1 whole gallon over the course of a 9 hour work day. Be careful not to drink TOO much water because it can be toxic. I know it sounds silly to drink from a really long straw (and trust me there is not one person at my work that hasn't made a comment about it), but it is the ONLY way I can drink this much!