Processed Foods

Options
What's really wrong with them? People have been eating them for decades. I understand that the salt content may be high, but i you drink enough water, shouldn't it be ok? What happens if you have a busy lifestyle, and all you can grab are the processed frozen dinners / snacks? Just confused.

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    What's really wrong with them? People have been eating them for decades. I understand that the salt content may be high, but i you drink enough water, shouldn't it be ok? What happens if you have a busy lifestyle, and all you can grab are the processed frozen dinners / snacks? Just confused.

People who eat this stuff, lose weight just as much as people who eat "clean". If your eating at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    chemicals. Depleted nutritional value.

you will be fine if you eat them once in a while! dont worry!
  • a2902c
    a2902c Posts: 96
    Options

I eat them everyday! :/
  • lirpa2011
    lirpa2011 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am currently in day 10 of the 24 day challenge by Advocare. The idea behind this program is to retrain your body to eat clean. however, I must be honest and say once this is over I do not see myself really sticking too it..There are WAY too many things that are "processed" and not part of this diet. I think that being smart about what you eat and eating "junk" in moderation is the best way to go! :smile:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Try reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan.
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    Another good book is Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels. Our bodies weren't meant to process the amount of chemicals and pesticides that are put into processed foods. I wish you lived closer, I'd let you borrow my book. I'll see if I can put together some main bullet points and things to look out for on the processed foods to help maybe not eliminate them all (let's face it, they are pretty convenient) but at least limit them a little bit. :) I will send you a message once I get something down on paper for you.
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options

People who eat this stuff, lose weight just as much as people who eat "clean". If your eating at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
    ]

This isn't necessarily true for everyone. Not one person processes things identically to someone else. Everybody has a different chemical makeup that makes them unique in so many characteristics. How we process food, exercise and anything else we put in or do to our bodies is different for each person.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I know people have been eating them for years, but the formulas have also changed over time, and they have a lot more preservatives (and more chemically based rather than naturally derived) HFCS, and other chemical additives than they did in the 70's...the 80's-today has really changed how processed food is maunfactured. I agree that reading anything by Michael Pollan will give you insight into this.

However, I am also an "everything in moderation" person. I love our farmer's market trips and cooking fresh meats and veggies through the weeks and eating our leftovers, but now and then you just want something easy. As long as it's balanced with other cleaner foods, I don't think there's any harm. It's just not a good idea to eat a Smart Ones breakfast, a Lean Cuisine for lunch, and Ramen Noodles for dinner. ;)
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

]

This isn't necessarily true for everyone. Not one person processes things identically to someone else. Everybody has a different chemical makeup that makes them unique in so many characteristics. How we process food, exercise and anything else we put in or do to our bodies is different for each person.

People are 99.999% identical. Regardless of what your momma told you, we are not all special individuals. Our bodys work the same for the most parts, barring any medical conditions.

Calories in vs calories out.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I also agree that they are LOADED with salt and you'll probably retain water weight. Happens to me when I eat the high level of my daily limit. Try to eat more fresh foods - they're really great :smile:
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    actually, processed foods only started in mainstream society in the 60's (rough estimate). they are full of unnatural preservatives, they lack nutrients, and are typically "junk" food.

A person needs a mindset of eating things that are raised, such as if you had your own farm. (forgive the lack of technical terminology). That is where your nutrients are.

If a person is dead set on eating processed foods, then super moderation and paying attention to labeling would be the way to go.

I didn't grow up on junky processed food so I only know what I have read.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    What about Lean Cuisines?

I eat one every day after my work out-- the spaghetti one. It's like a treat to me, and so delicious. I've also heard if you want carbs in your diet, eat them after a work out. But, there are of course preservatives. I just don't have the energy to cook at 9pm! :|
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You're right, people have been eating them for decades - approximately five decades - and in that time you could fill a phone book with the list of chronic health conditions that have surfaced.
  • SalPal03
    SalPal03 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

]

People are 99.999% identical. Regardless of what your momma told you, we are not all special individuals. Our bodys work the same for the most parts, barring any medical conditions.

Calories in vs calories out.

Interesting artical about how the "a calorie is just a calorie / Calories in vs calories out" is not 100% accurate

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/not_all_calories_equal_study_of_three_diets_suggests/bd399e70
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Some of these processed foods reminds me of the diet plans like Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem, where you eat their food, but they are pre packaged.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I think its all about moderation. processed foods are fine, just as long as your not consuming massive amounts of them every day. its all about calories for losing weight. it doesn't matter where those calories come from. of course its good to eat healthy, but some junk food isn't going to hurt a person. i like my processed food. lol
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Have you read the ingredients in them??

Nuff said!

:wink:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    health wise, i am not a nutritionist so i cannot say much, other than i have read/heard about preservatives, chemicals, lack of nutrients, etc.

personally, i try not to do microwave meals and things like simply b/c i grew up in a strict italian household, and that would not even be heard of. i would rather make all my foods and grow my own veggies if possible, if not head to the farmers market.

i think if you eat them here and there and have proper nutrients and balanced meals, it prolly isn't too much of a problem. sometimes we all need a fast throw together meal.