Processed Foods

Options

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the garbage that's in them....sure then. To each his own.
    Lots of people on here who are healthy and fit eat what you describe as "garbage". Guess us "lowly" folks aren't gonna be as healthy either...................

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

wow, how condescending! If you're ok with the chemicals in them, great. I am not, I consider all the add'l stuff garbage, you don't like that, so sorry. But I'm shocked a "fitness trainer" is ok with processed food, interesting. Again, like I said, to each is own.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    What happened to my buddy tsh0ck?

hey. sorry. I'm here. was working last night, then picked up some processed food at the store -- did you know that SPAM now comes with bacon?!
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    If you don't mind the garbage that's in them....sure then. To each his own.
    Lots of people on here who are healthy and fit eat what you describe as "garbage". Guess us "lowly" folks aren't gonna be as healthy either...................

IDEA Fitness member

wow, how condescending! If you're ok with the chemicals in them, great. I am not, I consider all the add'l stuff garbage, you don't like that, so sorry. But I'm shocked a "fitness trainer" is ok with processed food, interesting. Again, like I said, to each is own.

well, not all of us are dodging sky fragments. even personal trainers.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    What happened to my buddy tsh0ck?

hey. sorry. I'm here. was working last night, then picked up some processed food at the store -- did you know that SPAM now comes with bacon?!

Don't like SPAM, do like bacon.

I was curious to read your response to my post about nitrosamines. (And I'm not being snarky -- I was enjoying our debate.)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    What's really wrong with them? People have been eating them for decades. I understand that the salt content may be high, but i you drink enough water, shouldn't it be ok? What happens if you have a busy lifestyle, and all you can grab are the processed frozen dinners / snacks? Just confused.
    And this is why we have an epidemic of obesity in western culture - especially America.
    The ideal is lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    If man makes it, do not eat it.
    I try to eat that way 80% of the time. I won't go food Nazi, but what's right is right, and yet life is to be lived.
    It's always a balance.
    Hope this helped.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    You're right, people have been eating them for decades - approximately five decades - and in that time you could fill a phone book with the list of chronic health conditions that have surfaced.

This!!! ^^^^
  • tsh0ck
    Options

To pick just one: nitrites have been proven to cause the formation of nitrosamines when combined with acids found both in the curing process of meats and in the human stomach. Nitrosamines are an undisputed carcinogen. The FDA (untrustworthy though I find it to be) has actually acknowledged that nitrites are harmful.

There are simply some things that the human body does not know how to "get rid of" and is not equipped to do so.

they aren't undisputed carcinogens, though. studies have shown that they may cause cancer in animals, in large amounts -- which is the case in all of these kinds of studies. they give these lab rats so much of whatever they are testing that of course problems will occur. (same thing has been done with artificial sweeteners.) there is no evidence that says there are known problems for people. even so, the FDA limits the amount companies are able to use.

plus, since it helps prevent botulism? I'm kind of OK with that.

ETA: did a quick search. not only used to preserve meat, which I didn't know. also found in mascara, concealer, conditioner, baby shampoo, pain relief salve, sunless tan lotion, latex, condoms, beer, party balloons ...
  • Rilke
    Options
    they aren't undisputed carcinogens, though. studies have shown that they may cause cancer in animals, in large amounts -- which is the case in all of these kinds of studies. they give these lab rats so much of whatever they are testing that of course problems will occur. (same thing has been done with artificial sweeteners.) there is no evidence that says there are known problems for people. even so, the FDA limits the amount companies are able to use.

ETA: did a quick search. not only used to preserve meat, which I didn't know. also found in mascara, concealer, conditioner, baby shampoo, pain relief salve, sunless tan lotion, latex, condoms, beer, party balloons ...

Your edit is a straw man: I'm not putting any of those things into my stomach, so I don't care :P

Exposure to nitrosamines have been shown in studies to cause significant elevated risk of cancer in *humans*.

"in a study of a town where the intake of nitrate was abnormally high for a prolonged period of time, the death rate from gastric cancer was also abnormally high."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2008943/pdf/brjcancer00345-0088.pdf

"Tests for trend and associations with exposure to high concentrations of nitrosamines were significant for cancer of the oesophagus, and cancers of the lip, oral cavity, and pharynx."
    "Our results show significant excess risks of lip, oral, and pharyngeal cancers among workers who were exposed to high concentrations of nitrosamines."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1739921/pdf/v057p00180.pdf

I don't want you to say that levels of nitrate aren't going to be that high in foods. I want to know how your argument that "our body just gets rid of what it doesn't need" holds up in the face of obvious carcinogens. I mean, what about cigarettes? Why doesn't our body simply shunt out the tar and cadmium and other substances that cause problems in cigarettes? By your argument, they would.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Your edit is a straw man: I'm not putting any of those things into my stomach, so I don't care :P

Exposure to nitrosamines have been shown in studies to cause significant elevated risk of cancer in *humans*.

"in a study of a town where the intake of nitrate was abnormally high for a prolonged period of time, the death rate from gastric cancer was also abnormally high."

"Tests for trend and associations with exposure to high concentrations of nitrosamines were significant for cancer of the oesophagus, and cancers of the lip, oral cavity, and pharynx."
    "Our results show significant excess risks of lip, oral, and pharyngeal cancers among workers who were exposed to high concentrations of nitrosamines."

I don't want you to say that levels of nitrate aren't going to be that high in foods. I want to know how your argument that "our body just gets rid of what it doesn't need" holds up in the face of obvious carcinogens. I mean, what about cigarettes? Why doesn't our body simply shunt out the tar and cadmium and other substances that cause problems in cigarettes? By your argument, they would.

Don't eat green leafy veggies then or beets, those things are chock full of nitrates
  • Rilke
    Options

Don't eat green leafy veggies then or beets, those things are chock full of nitrates

Have those (naturally occurring) nitrates ever been shown to be problematic?
  • Acg67
    Options

Have those (naturally occurring) nitrates ever been shown to be problematic?

Did the studies you posted show that nitrates have been shown to be problematic?
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

To pick just one: nitrites have been proven to cause the formation of nitrosamines when combined with acids found both in the curing process of meats and in the human stomach. Nitrosamines are an undisputed carcinogen. The FDA (untrustworthy though I find it to be) has actually acknowledged that nitrites are harmful.

There are simply some things that the human body does not know how to "get rid of" and is not equipped to do so.

OK, so I'll never eat party balloons again....SCOUT'S HONOR:smokin:
  • Rilke
    Options
    Did the studies you posted show that nitrates have been shown to be problematic?

Nitrosamines, yes, sure looks like it. The nitrosamines discussed are not caused by nitrates found in food, though (naturally occurring or otherwise).
  • Acg67
    Options

Nitrosamines, yes, sure looks like it. The nitrosamines discussed are not caused by nitrates found in food, though (naturally occurring or otherwise).

"epidemiological study"

"A cohort of 8933 rubber workers"

So now correlation = causation?
  • tsh0ck
    Options

no. you aren't eating them. of course. but absorption through the skin? still means it gets into your body.

and of course massive amounts of something -- pretty much anything -- is bad. the body can't handle too much. that's why it is, you know, "too much." but in realistic, normal amounts? the body will handle it just fine.
  • jessicak0614
    jessicak0614 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Okay, so what about the Kashi dark mocha almond granola bars? I know they're processed but are they really bad for you?

For specific items I really like fooducate.com. Here's the page for that particular bar:
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=50F1447A-32A4-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

My main beef with Kashi is that they masquerade as a super healthy option, but they are owned by Kellogg's and prone to quite a few of the nasties (particularly GMOs) that the parent company loads into its other lines. I find it deceptive. But at that point you are bordering on political objections as much as health related ones, and most people on this site and in the larger sphere don't care about those things.

Thank you so much for the information and sharing that website. It's awesome!
  • Rilke
    Options

"epidemiological study"

"A cohort of 8933 rubber workers"

So now correlation = causation?

Enlighten me, then. What is an example of a study that is legitimate, if these are not?
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I suppose all the chemicals &things you can't pronounce on the labels label these foods "unclean". I was raised on this stuff, hard to cut the habits. I miss eating spam, haven't had it in months!!!
    Blasphemy. SPAM is required in my diet. Especially with rice and eggs.

IDEA Fitness member

I had Spam and potatoes last night. Haha. :] Nostalgic for me. Reminds me of my grandma.
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Tough one.

I work in human health and nutrition psychology, and we specifically look at functional food products.

Personally, I'd never touch processed foods. Processed foods are synonymous with convenience and speed - and in our time poor lives quiet often this is seen as the only alternative, which isn't the case. How long does it take to make poached eggs on toast? A tuna salad? A Baked potato? Not long is the answer - and the nutritional value is infinitely higher.

If you look at the statistics with diet-related health conditions since the era of processed foods coming to the fore, you would most definitely spot a trend. Cardiovascular disease remains one of the worlds leading most preventable cause of death - and you guessed it, diet and the amount of sodium in our 'modern' dietary intake has a huge role in this.

I guess like everything, we have to do things in moderation - some of us are good at this and others not so good, for a variety of reasons. Just keep it in the back of your mind that although lean cuisines and other 'healthy' processed foods may promise the world in terms of nutrition - they don't actually deliver on this in the long term.

Technically, isn't bread processed then too? It's made with a variety of ingredients that I personally do not have at my disposal, I do not grind my own oats or wheat and make it from scratch so it's a convenience to buy it ready made. I don't eat white bread but am not sure that the higher fiber breads are actually made iwth all nature ingredients with no preservatives, etc.