Processed Foods

Options

Replies

• nine20
    nine20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think that although packaged foods have a lot of extras that you don't need. Sometimes frozen dinner instead of the bag of chips is probably the lesser of two evils. That being said, what I like to do sometimes is when I go to the store I buy the pre made salads and just use half the dressing they give you. Or the made in store meals instead of straight froze. Since they seem to be slightly more fresh and are still grab and go essentially.

I am not always the healthiest eater but despite this I have managed to lose more weight these last few months than I thought I would. But it also goes everything in moderation.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree that you will lose pretty close to the same as someone who is eating the same amount of clean calories, that's what happened with me...BUT!!!!!!! The difference in how I feel eating a bit "cleaner" is night and day.

If you have time to grab frozen meals, you have time to grab fruits and veggies, which in most cases can be eaten with minimum fuss. A lot of grocery stores (and Costco!) have cooked chicken now, AND prepackaged salads. Just a thought, not an ounce of judgement! I've been there!

Good luck!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation :)
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm not a health nut, but I've found that the trick for me to lose weight was to cut out 85% of foods I don't prepare myself. But not for the reasons I've seen stated here. I also found that, for me, it's not as simple as "calories in vs. calories out". Although that may prove to work very well for people trying to lose a substantial amount of weight, if you are really trying to tone up, lose body fat, and preserve lean muscle "calories in vs calories out" doesn't work. That's another thread though.

- When you eat out you are much more likely to splurge on an item that you don't really *need*, like a milkshake with that burger or ketchup with your fries.

- The health options just aren't there, and Yes there are some exceptions, but even the salads are full of sugar.

- When you eat on the run, you are much more likely to eat quickly and stuff yourself. My opinion really, but I've read a study or two that says you eat less when sitting down to a meal, especially with other people.

- Cooking your own food let's you know pretty much everything thats going into your food, which helps you control portion size.

- Cooking actually burns calories! You stand up and move around, you have to wash dishes, etc. It's also a handy skill if your single and lookin' for a date :)

- Each chef is an individual, and just because the website says "300 calories" doesn't mean the food you are consuming is 300 calories. Remember, the restaurants and chains have something to gain by having a low calorie count because it attracts business. Just because the recipe used in the site cooks the chicken in 1 tablespoon of olive oil doesn't mean the chef will.

Having said all this, I do enjoy eating prepared foods. I had a burger and fries on Sunday, and a lean cuisine last night. I'm not saying you need to raise your own chickens, grow your own carrots, and thresh your own rice. Just eat it in moderation.

Thanks for reading,
    Chris
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I eat the Michellenias Lean Gourmet dinners very often.. I'm just fine. If I could afford to eat organic and healthy and no processed foods.. I'd do it. I just can't afford it. Those frozen dinners haven't hurt me yet.. I've lost weight too.. Our bodies are changing over the years, getting used to more processed foods in our diets.. I'm not that worried about it but I'd also like to eat more natural.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying about sodium and chemicals; and also about everything in moderation.
    Moderation is key and having a lot of fresh foods in your diet is important.
    Eating alot of processed foods, like frozen dinners, may still keep you in your calorie goals and will let you lose weight.
    But me personally, I am not just trying to "lose weight". I am also trying to "get healthy". I am trying to think of the old saying "your body is your temple".
    I feel so much better since eating more vegetables and lowering my amount of processed foods. I have more energy, I'm not bloated anymore, I'd guarantee my cholesterol has dropped (and possibly my blood pressure), and of course weight loss too.
    I don't think I could ever eat completely 'clean', but I am definitely making an improvement.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I eat processed foods.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat super clean lately. And I do feel better. The only reason I'm paying so much attention is I want to get pregnant and I want a nice clean body. But other than that, it is calories in calories out. But I can do so much more with so much more energy lately. And all I did was up the organic veggies, cut the milk out and just some of the package food. Try eating clean and then compare how you feel. If there is a difference at the end of the day, you'll feel it.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I suppose my frozen wild alaskan salmon fillets, my bags of wholegrain rice and my steam bags of various vegetables count as processed as well, even though there is nothing added, according to ingredient list ?
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Look at the list of ingredients.....if you can't pronounce it....it's not likely real food. The food we eat provides our bodies with the vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that it needs to function properly. The "chemicals and artificial additives" don't work nearly as well as the real thing in real food.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Tough one.

I work in human health and nutrition psychology, and we specifically look at functional food products.

Personally, I'd never touch processed foods. Processed foods are synonymous with convenience and speed - and in our time poor lives quiet often this is seen as the only alternative, which isn't the case. How long does it take to make poached eggs on toast? A tuna salad? A Baked potato? Not long is the answer - and the nutritional value is infinitely higher.

If you look at the statistics with diet-related health conditions since the era of processed foods coming to the fore, you would most definitely spot a trend. Cardiovascular disease remains one of the worlds leading most preventable cause of death - and you guessed it, diet and the amount of sodium in our 'modern' dietary intake has a huge role in this.

I guess like everything, we have to do things in moderation - some of us are good at this and others not so good, for a variety of reasons. Just keep it in the back of your mind that although lean cuisines and other 'healthy' processed foods may promise the world in terms of nutrition - they don't actually deliver on this in the long term.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    You're right, people have been eating them for decades - approximately five decades - and in that time you could fill a phone book with the list of chronic health conditions that have surfaced.

Oh yes. When I hear someone say "well ... have been doing it for years" reminds me of a plant manager I worked with in Arizona. Manufacturing facility - screw machines. These machines essentially cut metal into small machined parts. Moving parts that CUT inside the machine. People would literally put their bodies into a moving machine to clean out the metal scrapings as they were operating the machine so they didn't have to stop production. After I recovered from my stroke at seeing this I confronted the plant manager and he said: "well, we've been doing it that way for years"

YEA. Right. Great reason to continue to do it. Insert HUGE eye roll
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I suppose my frozen wild alaskan salmon fillets, my bags of wholegrain rice and my steam bags of various vegetables count as processed as well, even though there is nothing added, according to ingredient list ?

Ingredient lists do not lie. Though of course those foods have been cut into serving sizes and made edible for humans, I wouldn't consider them processed.
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    I suppose all the chemicals &things you can't pronounce on the labels label these foods "unclean". I was raised on this stuff, hard to cut the habits. I miss eating spam, haven't had it in months!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,689 Member
    Options
    Another good book is Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels. Our bodies weren't meant to process the amount of chemicals and pesticides that are put into processed foods. I wish you lived closer, I'd let you borrow my book. I'll see if I can put together some main bullet points and things to look out for on the processed foods to help maybe not eliminate them all (let's face it, they are pretty convenient) but at least limit them a little bit. :) I will send you a message once I get something down on paper for you.
    Our bodies weren't meant to wear clothes or shoes either. Or to shave hair off or wear make up. Just sayin'.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My previous diet until a month ago was mainly frozen entrees with a side salad w/dressing or some sort of heat and eat food. I had a heart attack and was put on a very limited diet, by simply removing processed foods from my diet I dropped 17 lbs in the hospital. For all but the hard core dieters here it is difficult to completely remove processed foods from your diet, I still use a few as add-ins to an otherwise healthy home cooked meal now and then but they are limited. If I could take back time I would of never eaten the way I did....all things in moderation
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The human body was made to adapt to everything.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hmmm. Tough one.

I work in human health and nutrition psychology, and we specifically look at functional food products.

Personally, I'd never touch processed foods. Processed foods are synonymous with convenience and speed - and in our time poor lives quiet often this is seen as the only alternative, which isn't the case. How long does it take to make poached eggs on toast? A tuna salad? A Baked potato? Not long is the answer - and the nutritional value is infinitely higher.

If you look at the statistics with diet-related health conditions since the era of processed foods coming to the fore, you would most definitely spot a trend. Cardiovascular disease remains one of the worlds leading most preventable cause of death - and you guessed it, diet and the amount of sodium in our 'modern' dietary intake has a huge role in this.

I guess like everything, we have to do things in moderation - some of us are good at this and others not so good, for a variety of reasons. Just keep it in the back of your mind that although lean cuisines and other 'healthy' processed foods may promise the world in terms of nutrition - they don't actually deliver on this in the long term.
    While I agree that food is related to higher incidences of cardiovascular disease, there are other mitigating factors that directly affect it besides food. People who don't SLEEP enough are at a much higher risk. So are people who have high stress. And people who don't include physical activity.

IDEA Fitness member
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I eat 80/20 and have for almost my whole life. I LOVE my life. I wouldn't if I had to eat clean all the time. Health is much more than just eating clean.

IDEA Fitness member