A size 6 is plus size...wtf.

1235»

Replies

• FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    I've only been here a short time but frankly I'm tired of hearing from people that skinny people shouldn't be hated on. Well in all reality fat people have been hated on forever.
    Skinny people shouldn't. Neither should larger people. It happens. It is just that the comments towards larger people (in society) are noted more. Articles like this will only drive pro-ana/ mia behaviours in those naive enough to take it to heart as an "ideal".

CIP: Yesterday I was told by a (larger) lady in work that I was "way too skinny" and "must have a tapeworm or something". I have never once told her to put the cake down. Had I have done, I'd probably be on the wrong end of a disciplinary.

I say be whatever shape you want. but be happy. If you don't love your own temple, how can you expect anyone else to.
  • Dawn3218
    Dawn3218 Posts: 80
    I stumbled across and article on Yahoo! that said that in the model world a size 6 is "plus sized." What do you all think?

Is that a US6? That would be a UK10 - not plus size in the real world but modelling isnt the real world is it (thank heaven!!)

Just to clairify I'm not putting models down I'm just saying that in the 'real world' people are different heights & sizes etc. In the runway modelling world everyone is very thin (and probably work very hard to stay that way) very tall and usually very beautiful - this is probably more to do with genetics - lucky them! :smile:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    That's really interesting. I'd never heard of that before! And it is reassuring to know that a size 2, 5'11" model might really be a size 4 or 6, which I still think is unnervingly thin, but better than it originally sounds.

Why is it that if a person is tall and a size 2-6, they must be really skinny?

I'm 5'9, weigh 151 and wear a 4(and could wear a 2 in some items).. and I'm def. not "unnervingly thin".

I didn't ask to be this size when I started losing weight.. nor did I aim for this size. It just happened.. and there's nothing I can do about it. Except re-gain weight I lost.. and thats def. not going to happen!
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Holy hell....than I am an extra plus size at size 10!!!

Then what do you consider me? LOL I am a 14 depending maybe 16pants
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    by model standards normal size is 0000 , thats why...6 is def not plus size in the real world
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    I've only been here a short time but frankly I'm tired of hearing from people that skinny people shouldn't be hated on. Well in all reality fat people have been hated on forever. This is one of the few places heavier people feel okay sharing their opinions.

this is a fitness site, not myfatnesspal... got to keep all types of users in mind when sharing opinions. belonging to the majority doesn't justify bashing.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Please remember this is model sizes. A 6 is not plus size in the regular world.

It kind of defeats the purpose of them being a model.

"A three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original."

If the model proportions are consistently and purposefully different than the people for which the clothing is fashioned then they have no business being a model.

By the way, notice I said the proportions were off, not the scale, as included in the actual definition.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Understandable. This is model world we're talking about. In the real world 6 is not plus sized.
    This how it is imo, 0,2,4 is small, 6,8,10 is average & 12+ is plus sized. But that' just how I see it. And I KNOW some ppl look great and be in 12+ cuz they have a big frame. Big frame kinda is plus sized tho. Small frame is well small.

Not trying to hate, but I'm 6' tall. Currently in a 12/14. Yeah, I have another 15 pds to go (which would put me at a 10ish), but if I walked by you, you would probably think I looked "average." #justsayin
  • I will NEVER be a size 6, maybe not even an 8 but I am ok with that. As long as I am a "healthy weight/size" for my age and height then Im good, even if I end up in a size 12
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Well then I'm hoping to get that fat someday ;)!

LOL! ^^^ Love this.
    Totally cracked me up.
    I am with you on this one.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Keep in mind the average model is at a height between 5'9" and 6'2". A size 2-4 would PROBABLY have them at a higher weight than the average person. Sadly, the average weight of a model is 108-120, at the height range, this would put them at an unhealthy, underweight BMI.

I'm 5'9" and never expect or WANT to be under 150lbs. I think the fashion world and modeling are horrible. The unrealistic goals that women and girls of all ages set for themselves because of the infulence from this industry is scary.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    That's really interesting. I'd never heard of that before! And it is reassuring to know that a size 2, 5'11" model might really be a size 4 or 6, which I still think is unnervingly thin, but better than it originally sounds.

Why is it that if a person is tall and a size 2-6, they must be really skinny?

I'm 5'9, weigh 151 and wear a 4(and could wear a 2 in some items).. and I'm def. not "unnervingly thin".

I didn't ask to be this size when I started losing weight.. nor did I aim for this size. It just happened.. and there's nothing I can do about it. Except re-gain weight I lost.. and thats def. not going to happen!

Don't be so quick to get offended. I'm not insulting thin people, I just don't idolize or condone unhealthy body fat levels (high or low). Judging by your photo, you've got really slim hips, and that would make you a smaller pants size than, lets say, me at the same waist measurement and bf%. That's honestly something that I forget about sometimes - that not every woman has a 10-12 inch difference between hips and waist.

The thing is, I'm petite, and I used to wear a size 2, and I was way too thin. You could count ALL my ribs, front and back, by looking at me. My pelvic bones protruded grotesquely. A good friend of mine was nearly 6 feet tall, and had a very similarly too-skinny build (neither of us by choice, I might add, but rather because of metabolic issues and poverty) but her pants were size 6-8. I don't even want to imagine what she would have to look like to fit into a 2. The only way I'd want to be that size again is with a lot more muscle... and still, not really even then.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Not to mention most models are tall, so as size 2 on a model could be a way less BMI compared to a shorter normal woman who wears a size 2.

^^ This

For arguments sake the model was 118 pounds- at my height of 6'1" and a size 2, that would be a BMI of 15.6!!! Whereas on someone foot shorter at 5'1" the BMI would be a healthy 22.3 and I'm sure the size 2 would look a lot more in proportion on the petite shorter frame.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    I notice you left off my next sentence making it look like I am bashing skinny people. Notice I also said:
    What we all need to remember is that all of this is JUST OPINIONS.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    If you choose to use my stuff to reply too then at least don't use it as that I don't realize this is FITNESS not just losing weight.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    I'm a model and a 6 is absolutely plus-size in the modeling world. I'm a very healthy size 2-4 (0 in high waisted skirts but that's it) and I was told that if I moved to NY like the designers/photographers I worked with wanted me to, I would be told to get skinnier.