Protein immediately after a work out?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Can't believe how many people opt to drink the protein over eat it, post workout. I keep raw almonds in my car at all times. If I can't get home to get some decent protein in- almonds do the trick for me. I also try to intake within 10 min of my workout, per my trainer. If able to get home, I do hardboiled egg whites often with an apple or smthg.

I would not call almonds a very good source of protein - it is really a source of fat with some protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Can't believe how many people opt to drink the protein over eat it, post workout. I keep raw almonds in my car at all times. If I can't get home to get some decent protein in- almonds do the trick for me. I also try to intake within 10 min of my workout, per my trainer. If able to get home, I do hardboiled egg whites often with an apple or smthg.

I include almonds and eggs/egg whites in my diet, but to get the equivilent of one scoop of protein powder (110 calories, 22 grams protein), I would have to eat 460 calories of almonds or 8 egg whites. Nuts tend to be my fat source as opposed to protein.

Again, I'm not worried about timing.

Just curious- what powder do you use? I tend to avoid them as high in calories and sugar. I saw one o another friend's diary from Trader Joe's and reasonable. That has been my true aversion to shakes and powders- cals, sugar, and labels I don't understand. I tend to eat clean.

My favorite is vanilla Advanced Genetics (not the two scoops as recommended, which would be 44 grams of protein). Its a Canadian brand, not sure how available it is elsewhere. My second is Optimum Nutrition which is pretty widely available. 120 calories per scoop, 22 grams protein, 1 gram of sugar (as per MFP, too lazy to go upstairs and check label so might be off). They have tons of flavors too.

Thanks- will look into it!

Interesting by Men's Health suggests 20 grams of protein (10 before and 10 after a workout). THey give food suggestions for those who prefer to eat their protein along with the correlating calories and serving sizes: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/protein-packed-snacks/

I would not take nutritional advice from Men's Health.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Holy cr*p - just realized how old this thread was!!