Why nothing makes sense. Ever. And it never will.

After two weeks on the boards, this is some random crap I've read, wherein I have determined that absolutely nobody knows what they are talking about. (All of the below have been stated with great authority and articles and research to back it up, by the way.)

-Eat more fruits and veggies.
-The sugar in fruit will make you fat.
-Cardio will melt the pounds off.
-Cardio burns muscle, not fat, and you will remain fat and weak.
-Don't eat back all of your exercise calories
-Eat back all of them, or you are in starvation mode.
-Starvation mode isn't real.
-Starvation mode is real, only for those with >5% body fat.
-It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you stay within your calorie goal.
-Eat "cleanly", or you won't lose weight.
-Cardio made me gain 40 pounds and created thyroid problems.
-Cardio took me from a size 10203 to a size 2 in one year.
-You have to do weight training, or you won't be burning fat.
-Weight training only builds muscle; it does not burn fat.
-You must do both, or you won't go anywhere.
-I eat whatever I want! I am so skinny!
-I eat a very strict diet filled with green stuff and don't even walk into a proximity of fat foods. I am a sexy beast.

What have I determined? Either you are all out of your minds, or everybody is different and there is NO reason to listen to anything anybody says until you've tried it and failed/succeeded yourself. So my suggestion is that we delete all forum threads and just leave the "success stories" and the "motivation" thread. (I kid, but. No. Wait. Seriously.)

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    There's a few people I listen to regarding diet and exercise on these boards who know their stuff:
    Stroutman81, taso42, Helloitisdan, Pu_239

On the net: Leigh Peele (her podcasts are great as is her paid members forum), Lyle McDonald (20+ years) and the Martin guy who does Leangains.

All of the above have credible scientific backup of their claims/experience/advice.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Thanks! Maybe when I get the patience to take someone's advice again, I will look these guys up. <3
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    It's easy. I'm right.

Actually, I've found what works for me and makes sense. My Dr. approves, and all my health markers are normal or at least headed that way. It doesn't matter to me personally what whackadoodle nonsense other people post, I know what works with my habits and my body. When I get to the point where it doesn't work I'll do something else.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    I think people come with their own beliefs already. So we tend to listen to those who confirm our own beliefs. That is why the 1,200 calorie folks are not going to immediately jump ship and follow the eat more folks. We look for things to confirm what we already believe deep down. We should all do what works for us, and if it stops working, make a change.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    I think you're making this way more complex than it really is.

The only thing you need to remember: don't eat after 8pm because if you do, it will all turn to fat.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    tumblr_lmvhemkhQ71qbw6g7.gif
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Nutrition is not physics. You can't go into it looking for "the answer". There are a lot of different ways to do it. Pick your favorite.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    After two weeks on the boards, this is some random crap I've read, wherein I have determined that absolutely nobody knows what they are talking about. (All of the below have been stated with great authority and articles and research to back it up, by the way.)

-I eat a very strict diet filled with green stuff and don't even walk into a proximity of fat foods. I am a sexy beast.

What have I determined? Either you are all out of your minds, or everybody is different and there is NO reason to listen to anything anybody says until you've tried it and failed/succeeded yourself. So my suggestion is that we delete all forum threads and just leave the "success stories" and the "motivation" thread. (I kid, but. No. Wait. Seriously.)
    preach it sister. i know what you mean.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Nutrition is not physics. You can't go into it looking for "the answer". There are a lot of different ways to do it. Pick your favorite.

Are you f*cking with me?
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member

preach it sister. i know what you mean.

Oh my god, somebody on this forum finally understands my sarcasm!!

A MIRACLE HAS JUST HAPPENED, FOLKS. A MIRACLE.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    LOL!! I think your post is fantastic :D I've been here two weeks also and I have no idea which way is what. However, I do appreciate everyone's suggestions. The "truth" is probably somewhere in between.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Don't trust anyone who preaches absolutism about anything. Fitness and nutrition are complicated and hormone-driven, such is life.

Energy consumed= energy expended + energy storage
    is about the only hard rule. And though it appears simple, it is complicated and hormone driven.
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    @half_moon, it seems to me you've learned the most important thing about weight loss...figure it out for you, yourself. In other words, yes, everyone is diffferent and because of that "results may vary".

I'm glad you're not listening to anyone right now. It shows an independent mind in a person willing to lead and find her own path. Go for it! If you want a little help, feel free to add me but I warn you, I don't have all the answers and I can only share my experiences (which is pretty much all oneone on MFP is doing).

Good luck!

--PD
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    That was sarcasm? You should have put it in italics.
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    The internet gods need to make a sarcasm font. Michael Cera knows nothing of bread that skinny whip!
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    This made me giggle. And I thank you for that :love:
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    This makes the top 10 best mfp post ever.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    I think people come with their own beliefs already. So we tend to listen to those who confirm our own beliefs. We look for things to confirm what we already believe deep down. We should all do what works for us, and if it stops working, make a change.

Yes.
  • ndmain1977
    ndmain1977 Posts: 69 Member
    I deem this post: doubleplusgood
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member

LOL you made me giggle. i've felt the same way about the boards. SO, i saw a nutritionist. :)