Why nothing makes sense. Ever. And it never will.

Options

Replies

• SoHo_Doll
    SoHo_Doll Posts: 2
    Options
    And that just made this post extra awesome lol.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    People tend to find something that works for them, overcomplicate or oversimplify, and then preach to the forums because their proof is that it worked for them. Everybody who disagrees is either an exception to the rule, or a moron. Everyone forgets that everyone is different.

This was a well played post, OP.

My favorite: 'You aren't supposed to eat right before bed because those calories turn into supermegafattyfat calories.'
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    After two weeks on the boards, this is some random crap I've read, wherein I have determined that absolutely nobody knows what they are talking about. (All of the below have been stated with great authority and articles and research to back it up, by the way.)

-Eat more fruits and veggies.
    -The sugar in fruit will make you fat.
    -Cardio will melt the pounds off.
    -Cardio burns muscle, not fat, and you will remain fat and weak.
    -Don't eat back all of your exercise calories
    -Eat back all of them, or you are in starvation mode.
    -Starvation mode isn't real.
    -Starvation mode is real, only for those with >5% body fat.
    -It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you stay within your calorie goal.
    -Eat "cleanly", or you won't lose weight.
    -Cardio made me gain 40 pounds and created thyroid problems.
    -Cardio took me from a size 10203 to a size 2 in one year.
    -You have to do weight training, or you won't be burning fat.
    -Weight training only builds muscle; it does not burn fat.
    -You must do both, or you won't go anywhere.
    -I eat whatever I want! I am so skinny!
    -I eat a very strict diet filled with green stuff and don't even walk into a proximity of fat foods. I am a sexy beast.

What have I determined? Either you are all out of your minds, or everybody is different and there is NO reason to listen to anything anybody says until you've tried it and failed/succeeded yourself. So my suggestion is that we delete all forum threads and just leave the "success stories" and the "motivation" thread. (I kid, but. No. Wait. Seriously.)

A big "like"! :smile:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Most of the crap you just said seems grossly exaggerated. I seriously doubt someone said they were a size102031 or whatever you said. Just chill out. People are trying to give people advice here. Yes, some of it is misguided, but I think we all know a few cold hard facts:

A well balanced diet of meat, grains, fruits, and veggies is best.
    An exercise routine that you enjoy that is around 3-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes is good for you.
    The two things stated above help people live healthier lives; people don't necessarily have to bust their *kitten* at exercising or eat a strict diet in order to be healthy. Just make smart decisions.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Every time I hear "You can't eat past X o'clock" I think of the movie Gremlins. What, so if I eat my dinner at 9, it will turn me into a monster? Or all of the veggies, etc I ate will trans mutate into Krispy Kreme?
    I had cereal at 10pm.
    When I wake up, I'm going to look like a Furby.

Aww! I want a real life Furby!
    You can have me in the morning!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Well... we are all gonna die eat more cookies.

Seriously if you don't like the advice given don't ask/stay out of the forums and stick to the groups or the chit chat forum... its that simple. No one is the same, no one will ever lose weight the same way so take all the information you are getting, and try if for yourself, if it doesn't work than move on to the next and learn something from it.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I can completely understand your frustration. For me personally, I didnt know anything about weight loss at 115kg's. I sought the help of a personal trainer (ok, yes I know, they can be expensive. what price your health?) and set-up 2 sessions per week. She helped me with my food and within 3 months I lost around 40lbs. The rest of the weight I lost (another 40lbs or so) I did on my own with the skills and knowledge I learnt. Yes, theres alot of crap advice out there. In effect, weight loss is really a numbers game. Calories in, calories out. I honestly hope that you find a way to be able to make sense of everything.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :laugh: maooooo
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I to get frustrated with all the different ways and ideas about losing weight. Just watch Dr. Oz if you really want to be confused. Dont get me wrong I like him but really some different supplement or food that will help you lose weight everyday!! I have no idea what to do, fast dont fast, eat more calories eat less calories, carbs no carbs, fat no fa,t on and on. I just believe a little bit of everything has some truth to it. But everyone is different and some things work for others and some dont. Its trial and error, find what works for you and thats all you need.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Every time I hear "You can't eat past X o'clock" I think of the movie Gremlins. What, so if I eat my dinner at 9, it will turn me into a monster? Or all of the veggies, etc I ate will trans mutate into Krispy Kreme?
    I had cereal at 10pm.

I'm pretty sure you forgot the winky face after that statement.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I to get frustrated with all the different ways and ideas about losing weight. Just watch Dr. Oz if you really want to be confused. Dont get me wrong I like him but really some different supplement or food that will help you lose weight everyday!! I have no idea what to do, fast dont fast, eat more calories eat less calories, carbs no carbs, fat no fa,t on and on. I just believe a little bit of everything has some truth to it. But everyone is different and some things work for others and some dont. Its trial and error, find what works for you and thats all you need.

Simple, Don't watch Dr. Oz... he endorses the guy they pays him the most. you wanna know what to do... eat less, move more... the end.
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options

I am so in love with this and the OP like no joke both had me laughin like you wouldnt believe xD Thanks dudes you are AMAZING
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    I had cereal at 10pm.

:grumble:

:wink:

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I had cereal at 10pm.

:wink:

:drinker:
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Is there a +1 button somewhere? :wink:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think people come with their own beliefs already. So we tend to listen to those who confirm our own beliefs. That is why the 1,200 calorie folks are not going to immediately jump ship and follow the eat more folks. We look for things to confirm what we already believe deep down. We should all do what works for us, and if it stops working, make a change.

^^^^^
    THIS
  • SteffieSunshine
    SteffieSunshine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This makes the top 10 best mfp post ever.

AGREED!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Most of the crap you just said seems grossly exaggerated. I seriously doubt someone said they were a size102031 or whatever you said. Just chill out. People are trying to give people advice here. Yes, some of it is misguided, but I think we all know a few cold hard facts:

A well balanced diet of meat, grains, fruits, and veggies is best.
    An exercise routine that you enjoy that is around 3-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes is good for you.
    The two things stated above help people live healthier lives; people don't necessarily have to bust their *kitten* at exercising or eat a strict diet in order to be healthy. Just make smart decisions.

u mad, bro?

By the way, adding back EVERY SINGLE MOFO ON THIS POST. I love you all. And the sexy sexy humorous glands in your sexy humorous brains.
  • mcaffreyg
    mcaffreyg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A big problem that I learned about in Statistics class is that if there are 100 research studies done and 99 show the norm while 1 shows something new and different about weight loss. That will be the paper published and up on yahoo news, ect.
    So you can't trust just random articles that say one thing over the other.

I'd say the basic principle, and from my nutrition class at Oregon State University, is you need to burn more calories (burned calories via exercise and metabolism) than you eat. If you do that then your body will need to use your stored energy to keep you going rather then recently eaten energy.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I see where you are coming from. There is a lot of misinformation out there... not only in the boards but also among the plethora of diet plans and weight reduction methods being sold out there. I have mentioned often that our obesity is a multi-billion dollar business (per year) in America. We are desperate to find a fast and easy way to lose weight.. to enjoy our lifestyle without paying the consequences thereof... And the diet industry is quick to sell us any number of things to help us in our quest.

You are right. In these boards there are many opinions... many with "research" to back it up; I quote that term because many "research studies" do not follow adequate empirical design models to determine an authoritative decision on anything. Many times they are the result of people who have a theory who want to prove that theory (usually due to the $$$ they can make) rather than pure scientific research to determine what is really going on. Many on the boards are well meaning folks.. but most of us are on the boards to begin with because we are... well ... overweight.

I think many of these statements you outlined may be true... But, if it is misapplied, it becomes misinformation. Starvation mode is one of these... I can see where a body may actually lower its metabolism rate IF a person lowers his intake to a dangerously low level over a period of weeks to months... Not because you ate 1599 calories rather than 1600 one day or waited until 8:00 to eat breakfast rather than waking up at 5:00 am.. Much of the misinformation comes from viewpoints that are not fully understood by either the person making the comment or perhaps the one asking for help. When even doctors and nutritionists disagree on the proper method (I am not talking about those with vested interests in some method or another)... certainly those of us who are laymen with limited backgrounds will probably misapply or choose the wrong info every now and then.

I have always been of the opinion (and it has worked for me with some variation in progress) is the best way to lose weight is a balanced diet with a mild caloric deficit AND exercise. It is not an exact science... We will miscalculate our portions or perhaps use a bad entry ... But on average if what we are doing is working, we need to continue with that... That is the truest sign of success and what really works. Of course, we need to push protein if we are lifting weights to aid in muscle development.. But everything in balance...

Hope you find your answers.. If it is too difficult to find in the boards from the notable wide range of theories, then I would find another source... a source you trust and go with that for a while.

Best wishes on your desired success.