Carbs/Weightloss??

Options
Does eating carbs effect your weightloss or is all calories in and calories out? I used to be one of those people who feel like they couldn't eat carbs if they wanted to lose weight, but so many people are eating carbs so i know that isn't true ... I just ate spaghetti after my workout and I feel like I've cheated myself although at the end of the day, after exercise I have calories left over. I'm having a problem wrapping my head around this ...

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Does eating carbs effect your weightloss or is all calories in and calories out? I used to be one of those people who feel like they couldn't eat carbs if they wanted to lose weight, but so many people are eating carbs so i know that isn't true ... I just ate spaghetti after my workout and I feel like I've cheated myself although at the end of the day, after exercise I have calories left over. I'm having a problem wrapping my head around this ...

You will get a million different answers on this.

I am in the camp that barring and metabolic/diabetes issues, carbs are carbs

I personally eat ~300g of carbs a day, close to 3k calories a day and have lost 25lbs so far
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Cals in/cals out is what matters. If you cut carbs you'll drop water weight really fast so it'll seem like the weight loss is faster at first.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I personally eat ~300g of carbs a day, close to 3k calories a day and have lost 25lbs so far

Agree. I have one of said diseases that responds better to less carbs, otherwise I wouldn't do it. The caveat is that portion control is really important, and people tend to WAY underestimate portions of rice, cereal, pasta etc.
  • MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Heh, this is a sensitive topic for me....In 4 months on these boards, I have noticed a very distinct pattern.

The vast majority of men answering your question will say it's only calories in/calories out, and carbs don't matter. And that you need your carbs (this especially from men who do lifting).

Half the women who will answer your question will say it isn't just calories, you need to restrict carbs to see weightloss.

Some women (who do intensive exercise including weights) will agree with the majority of the men.

And some women will come on the boards saying "I'm eating my recommended calories and not losing weight", when their carbs are still really high. I have seen a looooooot of those.

I'm in the low-carb camp. It's the only thing that works for me. I'm also sedentary and currently don't have time to add exercise to my routine. If you exercise, I would still reduce your carbs, but not really low. If you exercise intensively, including weights, I would probably stick to the MFP recommended breakdown of your macros, following a 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat breakdown.

Both here and on other sites I frequent where weight loss comes up, the OVERWHELMING number of women find success with (or only with) watching carbs.
  • MCsAngel2
    Options
    BTW - low carbs = 30 pounds lost in 5 months.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    It is an individual thing....I tried the calories in/calories out thing for 3 months, and struggled HARD to lose 7 pounds. I cut carbs down to under 100g Net per day, and in 7.5 weeks I have lost 12.4 pounds. I am exercising no more than I did before ( actually, the last month or so, I have actually done LESS) and I know I have eaten more.

I was diagnosed with a metabolic disorder called Insulin resistance about 7-8 years ago, but it was reversed during my last pregnancy. I am assuming that my weight loss issues indicate that it has returned. Hopefully the dietary changes I have made on my own will fix it.
  • Prettygirl150
    Prettygirl150 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ... I really appreciate your help. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

What he said! Everyone has an opinion about this. I know for me, I lose weight much, MUCH easier when I watch my carbs. I do 5-6 days of fairly low carbs (normally around 30 net) and then a high carb day that is my splurge day.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Heh, this is a sensitive topic for me....In 4 months on these boards, I have noticed a very distinct pattern.

The vast majority of men answering your question will say it's only calories in/calories out, and carbs don't matter. And that you need your carbs (this especially from men who do lifting).

Half the women who will answer your question will say it isn't just calories, you need to restrict carbs to see weightloss.

Some women (who do intensive exercise including weights) will agree with the majority of the men.

And some women will come on the boards saying "I'm eating my recommended calories and not losing weight", when their carbs are still really high. I have seen a looooooot of those.

I'm in the low-carb camp. It's the only thing that works for me. I'm also sedentary and currently don't have time to add exercise to my routine. If you exercise, I would still reduce your carbs, but not really low. If you exercise intensively, including weights, I would probably stick to the MFP recommended breakdown of your macros, following a 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat breakdown.

Both here and on other sites I frequent where weight loss comes up, the OVERWHELMING number of women find success with (or only with) watching carbs.

I'm an exception to your rule - a woman who eat lots of carbs and doesn't do much strength training. I'm a runner and love my carbs, and I'm not planning to give them up anytime soon.

Having said that, I think it is a personal choice. Some people report that they have great success not eating carbs, many others (like me!) eat carbs and lose weight very happily.
    My experience is that for my body it is really all about cals in/cals out. As soon as I consistently stick to a moderate calorie deficit I lose weight. If I don't log accurately or eat over my calories I stay about the same or put on weight.

My opinion is that there is no point in giving up a whole group of foods unless you actually have to. That is just setting "rules" that can be hard to stick to (especially when you are eating away from home) and it increases that chance that you are going to give up and label yourself a failure - and we've all done that plenty of times before!

Try with carbs, try without. Do what works for you and what you think is going to be sustainable for the rest of your life.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Not low carbs = 30 lbs in 5 months.

And I don't do a ton of strength training. Some, but not a bunch.

To me, low carbs do nothing more then restrict an intake of calories. It is the restriction of those calories that cause weight loss... not the carbs themselves.

Now, I do try to watch my carbs closely to be sure I get my fats and proteins in... but otherwise, I don't freak out about it at all.
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    Cutting out and/or lowering carb intake makes weight loss more efficient. Cal in, cal out is a general rule, but by taking in the right macros your body becomes more efficient at burning FAT. Yes, a lot of initial weight is water, but it also makes burning fat quicker.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. I have PCOS and insulin resistance (which a lot of overweight people do), so yes, cutting carbs does help me lose weight. Nothing drastic. Around 100 g (30%) seems to be what a lot of people with insulin resistance do.
  • olgamarie_t
    olgamarie_t Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    when I do low carb eating i lose weight,by looking at what people wrote it seems those who do no exercise like me , have to reduce carbs to lose weight.just me saying.welcome to mfp.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Cutting out and/or lowering carb intake makes weight loss more efficient. Cal in, cal out is a general rule, but by taking in the right macros your body becomes more efficient at burning FAT. Yes, a lot of initial weight is water, but it also makes burning fat quicker.

What makes you believe this is true?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Have anything to back that up?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

High carbs = 45 pounds lost in 6 months.

Your mileage may vary.
  • MCsAngel2
    Options
    Seems level of exercise is key.

Strength training or runner = need the carbs.

Sedentary people (or people with insulin resistance) = need to reduce the carbs.
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options

Experience and research... I'm not saying my statement is absolute, but I believe macro proportions can play a large part. Especially with carbs, sugars, and insulin levels. Though an extreme, someone that took in 1500 cals of carbs and sugar a day for a month would most likely lose a lot more lbm than someone eating high protein, low carb; Even if they ended up the same weight.

Just my perspective.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What about portion size? A small serving of pasta served with vegetables and a home made pasta sauce then a huge bowl covered in cheese. Not to sure what you're having.

Feel free to add me everyone.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Experience and research... I'm not saying my statement is absolute, but I believe macro proportions can play a large part. Especially with carbs, sugars, and insulin levels. Though an extreme, someone that took in 1500 cals of carbs and sugar a day for a month would most likely lose a lot more lbm than someone eating high protein, low carb; Even if they ended up the same weight.

Just my perspective.

You can't use that example though- being protein deficient is a very different situation than 15-20% protein SAD vs 40% protein "low carb" diet.