Carbs/Weightloss??

Options

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So basically what people are saying is that if you restrict your carbs AND your calories, when you hit your goal weight, you can eat as many carbs as you want as long as you're not over maintenance and not gain a single lb back. Interesting.

Yes, you will not gain a single pound of FAT back if you eat under or within maintenance and pack the carbs in.

Absolutely correct.

So this "water weight" that everyone talks about, let's say in the above scenario that this person will gain a couple of lbs of it. Does that mean it's sustained? For instance, I've always been a low carb fan (I totally get the low calorie simple math thing). I joined in March and of course did the whole 1200 calorie thing first for about 6 weeks (lost 4 lbs) until I realized that someone that is 5'11 and lifting heavy should probably eat more so I upped it to 1700 and have been pretty strict with it (eat back about 1/2 my exercise cals). Gained back the 4 lbs and am sitting exactly where I was the day I signed up. I do look different from the lifting but over the course of 3.5 months, more fat should've come off with the simple mathematics (I'm an accountant so I would love this if it worked for me). I decided Monday to go low carb again and see what happened. Now, if I lose "water weight" this week, that's water weight I've been sustaining since I"ve been eating at a deficit (doesn't matter WHAT based on this theory I'm eating so let's not get into that).

I don't understand why people can't accept some things work for some and some things DON'T work for some.
  • Gatorjrm
    Gatorjrm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I think everyone has to decide what works best for them. For me, I feel better ( less ravenous, more of that solid 5 on a scale of 1-10 1 being starving, 10 being so full). I eat carbs, but healthy ones- sweet potatoes, brown rice, fruit etc.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Eat the good carbs! Make sure you are eating the correct percentage of your macros. according to your age, weight etc. the protein, carbs, fat, calories....

good carbs: brown rice, sweet potatoes...

Stay away from the bleached white rice, white potatoes, pastas...

Understand what good carbs/bad carbs are, and how to ideally consume them.

White rice for one, isn't generally bleached. It's rice with the husk, bran and everything else removed. It was done very manually for something to the tune of several hundred years. Actual non sun based bleaching wasn't prevalently around until A.D.

Sweet potatos, very good carbs, as in complex...make sure you eat them with fat though, else you are not getting as much nutrition out of it as those who do.

Fruit? Bad carb! Very bad carb! (Yes it is), however, fruit itself generally has fiber, protein and a slew of other micro nutrients which outweigh the fact that fruit is ultimately a simple carb.

The primary difference between simple "good" and complex "bad" carbs is how easy it is for your body to break either food down into the same ultimate product, a carbohydrate to give it 4 calories worth of fuel. Generally unless you have DIAGNOSED insulin issue or some other medical complication, carbs are carbs. Certain carb heavy foods may affect you differently in satiety, water retention, insulin control, etc, but it all comes down to chemistry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    One glycogen molecule is stored with 2.7 grams of water. Reduce the carbs, you reduce the glycogen and water. This is the initial weight loss and also why people who low carb gain so much weight back when they eat carbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gatorjrm
    Gatorjrm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.. a calorie isn't created equal!
  • chris1816
    Options
    I totally agree.. a calorie isn't created equal!

A kilometer is 1000 meters, isn't it?
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Heh, this is a sensitive topic for me....In 4 months on these boards, I have noticed a very distinct pattern.

The vast majority of men answering your question will say it's only calories in/calories out, and carbs don't matter. And that you need your carbs (this especially from men who do lifting).

Half the women who will answer your question will say it isn't just calories, you need to restrict carbs to see weightloss.

Some women (who do intensive exercise including weights) will agree with the majority of the men.

And some women will come on the boards saying "I'm eating my recommended calories and not losing weight", when their carbs are still really high. I have seen a looooooot of those.

I'm in the low-carb camp. It's the only thing that works for me. I'm also sedentary and currently don't have time to add exercise to my routine. If you exercise, I would still reduce your carbs, but not really low. If you exercise intensively, including weights, I would probably stick to the MFP recommended breakdown of your macros, following a 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat breakdown.

Both here and on other sites I frequent where weight loss comes up, the OVERWHELMING number of women find success with (or only with) watching carbs.
    I would say that I agree with this statement.
    I'm an exception to your rule - a woman who eat lots of carbs and doesn't do much strength training. I'm a runner and love my carbs, and I'm not planning to give them up anytime soon.
    I think runners NEED more carbs. While visiting family, I did my brother in law's high school track/cross country practice. Afterwards, I needed carbs to replenish what I had burned...totally different than gym workouts.
    To me, low carbs do nothing more then restrict an intake of calories. It is the restriction of those calories that cause weight loss... not the carbs themselves.

Not always the case. I eat 1800 calories but have been keeping my carbs below 100.

I think everyone's body is different. I know that when I was in my 20s and 30s, restricting calories worked wonderfully. Now, that I am in my 40s, I found that I needed to restrict my carbs. So, I have kept my calories up, but kept my carbs around the below 100 range.

I am now changing things up a bit since I am at goal weight and have changed my macros to 35/35/30, this allows for 20 more carbs, which is a nice treat.

I teach Zumba and I often have women ask what they should do to lose their weight around their mid-section, I always tell them to pull back their carbs and increase their protein....and sometimes even their calories because they will join the gym, workout a ton, and then eat salad and fruit all day. I have found a lot of success with myself and my girls eating more calories but keeping their carbs lower.

I love this site:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz1tS2Cgl87
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So basically what people are saying is that if you restrict your carbs AND your calories, when you hit your goal weight, you can eat as many carbs as you want as long as you're not over maintenance and not gain a single lb back. Interesting.

Yes, you will not gain a single pound of FAT back if you eat under or within maintenance and pack the carbs in.

Absolutely correct.

So this "water weight" that everyone talks about, let's say in the above scenario that this person will gain a couple of lbs of it. Does that mean it's sustained? For instance, I've always been a low carb fan (I totally get the low calorie simple math thing). I joined in March and of course did the whole 1200 calorie thing first for about 6 weeks (lost 4 lbs) until I realized that someone that is 5'11 and lifting heavy should probably eat more so I upped it to 1700 and have been pretty strict with it (eat back about 1/2 my exercise cals). Gained back the 4 lbs and am sitting exactly where I was the day I signed up. I do look different from the lifting but over the course of 3.5 months, more fat should've come off with the simple mathematics (I'm an accountant so I would love this if it worked for me). I decided Monday to go low carb again and see what happened. Now, if I lose "water weight" this week, that's water weight I've been sustaining since I"ve been eating at a deficit (doesn't matter WHAT based on this theory I'm eating so let's not get into that).

I don't understand why people can't accept some things work for some and some things DON'T work for some.
    Water weight is tied to glycogen storage, which is directly tied to carb intake. So yes, if you increase carbs and maintain them at the same level, you will gain water weight. That water weight will fluctuate based on how much glycogen your body uses doing normal functions, and how many carbs you eat to replenish what's used. Drastically cutting carbs leads to drastic glycogen loss, which leads to water loss. This is why people cut carbs, lose a bunch of weight in a week or two, and then add carbs back in and immediately gain. Then cut carbs and immediately lose again. It's just manipulation of water weight, and has no bearing on fat loss.
  • chris1816
    Options

Absolutely correct.

I don't understand why people believe that people without any diagnosed medical conditions impacting metabolic functions have bodies that function based on the rules of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and not fundamental laws of biology, physics, and chemistry.
  • jnh17
    Options

Absolutely correct.

I don't understand why people believe that people without any diagnosed medical conditions impacting metabolic functions have bodies that function based on the rules of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and not fundamental laws of biology, physics, and chemistry.

Me either. I guess I'd be rich if I did.

sidenote - I wonder how many of us are walking around with undiagnosed conditions?
  • TinkrBelz
    Options

Absolutely correct.

Water weight is tied to glycogen storage, which is directly tied to carb intake. So yes, if you increase carbs and maintain them at the same level, you will gain water weight. That water weight will fluctuate based on how much glycogen your body uses doing normal functions, and how many carbs you eat to replenish what's used. Drastically cutting carbs leads to drastic glycogen loss, which leads to water loss. This is why people cut carbs, lose a bunch of weight in a week or two, and then add carbs back in and immediately gain. Then cut carbs and immediately lose again. It's just manipulation of water weight, and has no bearing on fat loss.

First picture, December 2011, with a year of working out and eating normal.
    Dec2011Before.jpg

Jan 1, I decided to get this extra weight off. Cut calories back to 1200 calories and exercised. Did not lose weight. By the end of February, I was freaking. I had a friend suggest eating more food and increase my protein. During my research, I found some body builders that do 35/35/30, I also found that link that I posted my earlier post. I increased calories, increased protein and lowered carbs to below 100 (Not Atkins, just lower)

Picture two, last week. I would think that the 14 pounds that I have lost since the end of February is fat an not water weight
    AfterJune2012.jpg

I think that everyone's body is different. Some can eat 300 carbs a day and still lose, while others need to drop their carbs. But you can't tell someone that has lost fat doing low carb or a lower carb diet that they only lost water weight.
  • TinkrBelz
    Options
    You look amazing TinkrBelz! Great work!! What's your workout regime?

Thanks!! :heart:

I teach Zumba, but I throw in a lot of other things into my class so it is a full body workout. I have a lot of working moms and they need to get it all in in that hour. So, I do some floor exercises, small weights for arms, planks, sumo squats, Hip Hop Abs moves, and Brazil Butt Lift moves. I feel it is a challenge to see what I can do in just an hour class!! I teach 8 classes a week.

So, I think my class makes my muscle pretty, but the lower carb diet has shed that layer of fat that was on top of them hiding my girl muscles.
  • jnh17
    Options

Absolutely correct.

First picture, December 2011, with a year of working out and eating normal.
    Dec2011Before.jpg

Jan 1, I decided to get this extra weight off. Cut calories back to 1200 calories and exercised. Did not lose weight. By the end of February, I was freaking. I had a friend suggest eating more food and increase my protein. During my research, I found some body builders that do 35/35/30, I also found that link that I posted my earlier post. I increased calories, increased protein and lowered carbs to below 100 (Not Atkins, just lower)

Picture two, last week. I would think that the 14 pounds that I have lost since the end of February is fat an not water weight
    AfterJune2012.jpg

I think that everyone's body is different. Some can eat 300 carbs a day and still lose, while others need to drop their carbs. But you can't tell someone that has lost fat doing low carb or a lower carb diet that they only lost water weight.

Agreed! Same story. Below ALL the weight loss was low carb ONLY. I have no idea how many calories I was eating but I guarantee you it was at least 2000 if not 3000 (cheese and pork are way up there). I've gained about 7 lbs from the after picture which was taken December of 2008.

That being said, like I stated earlier, I'm also restricting my calories to a deficit this time just as kind of my own personal study to see what happens.

2qwdixg.jpg
  • bakrgirl74
    bakrgirl74 Posts: 14
    Options
    Being a person that has in the past done Atkins, successfully, but then went back to over indulging, I lose very slowly. I now try to pick whole foods to eat, low processed foods. Whole grain cereals, breads, etc.. Brown rice, sweet potatoes, lots of lower starch veggies, and fruit. I try to keep sugar low/none. I don't drink diet pop or juices. I keep meats lean, white and red. I keep sodium lower.
    Learning how your body loses and maintains is the key. I don't lose if I eat under 1200 calories a day, I lose best at approx 1300-1400 cals per day, not working out, 1400 to 1500 if I am working out. But I know someone that gains working out and eating 1200 cals per day. It really is an individual thing..
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    For me ..... the less fried food, bakery items, pasta & sugar I consume, the more weight I lose :drinker:

Best of luck to you !
  • geminigrl622
    geminigrl622 Posts: 144
    Options
    I use to think like you too but I found that eliminating an entire food group wasn't realistic. Now, I eat what I want, of course in moderation and I exercise. I measure my food(spaghetti for example is 1 cup including suace and meat) instead of fixing a plate full and eating until I'm stuffed. I also read serving information. You'd be surprised at the amount we really need to satisfy us vs being full.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    It totally depend on you!! Everyone is different!! My body doesn't do well with complex carbs!

I eat them as a treat...some lucky people can eat them all day long! Maybe it depends on your blood type??
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Myself, I have lost more weight doing lower carbs. However, it's not just counting carbs, it's your overall intake. I've found how to balance my macros overall to give me low carbs/ high fat/ high protein.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. I have PCOS and insulin resistance (which a lot of overweight people do), so yes, cutting carbs does help me lose weight. Nothing drastic. Around 100 g (30%) seems to be what a lot of people with insulin resistance do.

This.

I low-carb after advice from my primary care dr. and dietician.
    No sugar.
    White flour replaced with whole wheat and grains.
    White rice replaced with brown.
    White starchy pasta replaced with whole wheat pastas containing omega 3 or low carb version.
    Starchy potatoes & other veggie are limited.
    Fruit is limited to mornings only so my body will metabolize the sugar.
    Everything is lean & grean.

Basically the meal plan she gave me came from the American Diebetes Association.

I suggest anyone with a health problem work with their dr. for a plan that works for them. Weight loss plans are not a "one size fits all" product.
  • SThomas215
    Options
    I use to think like you too but I found that eliminating an entire food group wasn't realistic. Now, I eat what I want, of course in moderation and I exercise. I measure my food(spaghetti for example is 1 cup including suace and meat) instead of fixing a plate full and eating until I'm stuffed. I also read serving information. You'd be surprised at the amount we really need to satisfy us vs being full.

I wish they had a "like" button for posts. I agree with you completely.