Help...please....at the end of my rope... I NEED this.

Options

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I agree with lots of these. Affording things isn't hard when you make the right choices. Frozen veggies are great and non expensive. Buy a whole chicken when it's on sale, then freeze it into portions to use throughout the week. Just for some examples. Battling depression and PTSD is not easy but it can be overcome!!! I don't know what you have or can afford in the way of outside support for this, but it helps to go to therapy. I don't where you live, but sometimes you can get help paying for services from community mental health agencies. (I work for one that does, plus there is some county support for help also) Taking care of yourself mentally and physically is important!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Love yourself. :flowerforyou: Congratulate yourself on what you did good today. Decide to be happy. Cheers!

:heart:
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day!! YOU can do this!!! It is a journey and you can and will find your way.

As far a food budget - you can eat well, healthy you just have to be creative...Make alist and go to the grocery. I can give you a few suggestions and I am sure others can to.

Dry beans -
    Whole grain rice
    Tomatoe sauce
    whole grain pasta
    chicken breast
    oatmeal
    eggs
    peanut butter (maybe low-fat or low sugar)
    jelly (low -sugar)
    can tuna fish
    whole wheat bread
    Big bag of spinach and lettuce
    a few fresh veg and fruit (check for sales)
    (other items as needed - low fat milk etc.)

With these few items you can make breakfast, lunch and dinner. You wil need to cook at home and pack lunch.

As far as exercise - walk walk walk!!! After you so that for a while you cna always add running... but you may need a good pair of shoe for that.

So for now you job is to take care of yourself and start fresh with a new you. Make a list, go to the grocery, clip coupons and shop sales. Cook at home, and walk everyday!!

I know you can do this!!!

Have a happy healthy day!!!!
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't a diet, so just eat what you can afford (I have about the same food budget as you BTW), cook at home as much as you can (a loaf, cold meat and salad is cheaper than buying a sub, for example), drink tap water rather than anything that costs money or has calories, track every mouthful and stop when you reach your MFP limit, simple as that.

Get exercising for free. Walk everywhere. Do bodyweight exercises. As you have internet access, check out free exercise videos online.

Set MFP to lose no more than 1lb a week, aiming for more will make you hungry and miserable.

I know it sounds trite, but exercising and getting healthy really does help with depression. As does getting enough sleep. I know, I've been there.

I agree 100% with you! Exercise helps keep me sane. It is saving my life. If there is a will there is a way.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I see a couple of things here. First, where did the money come from for the giant sub. Where I live a giant sub is $10 to $12. So that's nearly half of your food budget. Is the $30 to $50 your entire food budget or your grocery budget? If you are blowing money on takeout and eating out and not considering that money as part of your overall food budget, you need to start doing that. A food budget should include groceries as well as meals out. Oatmeal can be jazzed up in many ways to change the flavor of it from day to day. Dry beans are a great, inexpensive staple. The bags are cheaper than cans with much less sodium, you can soak them and freeze them in smaller portions, check www.5dollardinners.com, she has a tutorial on how to do it. Eggs are also a great staple food for any time of day. Most grocery stores discount meat from the day before and it can be up to 75% off of the regular price. Freeze it right away or cook it first and then freeze it, whatever works for you.

I agree with others who have mentioned just eating smaller portions of what you normally eat as well. I used to be able to eat a giant sub, now I get 3 or 4 servings out of one.
  • skinnynerd
    skinnynerd Posts: 110
    Options
    Get out of the room. Starting walking. Eat less than you normally do. You can do this!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    It sounds like there a lot going on here... and it's not just your weight. Whatever steps you take to better your health, please work on mending everything else at the same time. Otherwise, you're just going to be a lighter version of yourself with the same problems. Loosing weight changes your body but it doesn't change your life unless you do.
  • m00nflwr
    m00nflwr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    just a suggestion for cheap healthy food - farmers markets. we buy loads of fresh fruits and veggies for way less than you'd pay in a grocery store!
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sample menu for one day:

Breakfast - one bowl of cereal with milk (Box of cereal with 6-8 servings: $4; Milk with 12 servings: $3.50)
    Snack - Chocolate yogurt (tastes like pudding): $0.50
    Lunch - 3-egg Omelette with fresh veggies (a dozen eggs for 4-6 servings: $2; mixed frozen veggies for 4-6 servings: $3)
    Snack - Meat and cheese roll (Lunchmeat with 4 servings: $3; sliced cheese with 4 servings: $3.50)
    Dinner - Whole grain pasta with hearty marinera sauce (pasta with 8 servings: $1.25; can diced tomatoes: $1.25; can of Rotel: $1.50; portion of mixed frozen veggies ($0; already in freezer from lunch)

For $23.50, you'll have a filling, healthy menu that will last you several meals. You can mix and match at will (hard-boiled eggs for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, etc.) so that it doesn't become a bore. As one that has been on a budget since before John was baptized, I can assure you that it can be done, and done well. Buy meat only when it's on sale, avoid expensive brands, and always check for sales before you go shopping. Make a menu and then write your shopping list off that. Don't vary from that list at all, and you'll be golden.

As for exercising, I started out by walking. Yep, that's it. I made it a point to walk everywhere it was feasible and that I had time to get there. Once I started to feel better (it lifted my depression within three weeks after several years of dealing with it, AND while unemployed for over a year), I started to incorporate other stuff like push-ups, climbing the stairs in my house, etc.

You not only CAN do this, you MUST do this. It's the only way that you're going to be able to pick yourself up and get on with life. Feel free to friend me, and I'll be happy to help you plan your menus and shopping lists for the first couple of weeks until you get the hang of this.
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You say money is an issue for you. I have some tips!

My boyfriend and I live together. We spend $50 a week on groceries for the both of us. We get fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, ect. When I'm at college and am only buying food for myself, I spend around $30.

- Always shop the sales. I pick up the Shoprite (local supermarket chain) circular a week in advance or get it offline. If the thing I want isn't in the circular, it's not going to be in my pantry. The only exceptions I will make are for fruits and veggies because they often have more on sale than they put in the circular.

- Coupons! My mom coupons like a crazy person. She saves more than she spends most of the time. Last week her order should have come to $140 but with coupons and some of the deals in the circular (although she will buy things that aren't in the circular occasionally) she only paid $60.

- Do you have an Aldi near you? They are so cheap. There is one right by my school and I love it. Unfortunately there isn't one near my house up here :/ Their produce isn't always the best but they have great deals on other things.

- Cut out soda/sugary drinks and just drink water. I can't do this one... I've tried but I lack the willpower. But it would save me probably about $10-15 a week and it's better for you.

Feel free to disregard any of this advice but shopping this way has really helped my wallet.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I never want to see the number 200 on my 5'5" frame again, and I'm probably less than 20 lbs from approaching it right now. Below is a picture of my current pantry. I look at it and 99% of me feels disgusted. Tell me IF I can fix this, HOW I can fix this, mentally, emotionally, or otherwise. I need a bit of hope to grasp onto right now. My goal would be 130 lbs. Then I'd be happy. But I can't just resort to eating oatmeal and nothing else, can I? Seems like the only affordable meal plan.

If you don't already have a library card. GO GET ONE TODAY. Libraries have fitness magazines. They have fitness DVDs. They have fitness books, diet books, cookbooks on how to live on a budget, how to cook every meal in a toaster oven, how to reuse leftovers. They also have books on depression, being unemployed and other self-help books. They have relaxation CDs, books on CDs, ebooks and book clubs. Some even offer coupon swapping, free paperbacks and I know of one that lends out DVD players.

Make an activity/excercise schedule for yourself. Don't make it impossible, but doable, and commit to it - no excuses. It is good to be able to check things off your list, to see your accomplishments.

Review the Couch to 5K program, view the Level 1 of 30 Day Shred (free on youtube), check out the free workouts offered online by Shape magazine, Prevention magazine, Fitness magazine. Walk 2 miles every day.

You say you'll be happy when you are 130. But why wait? Find something to make you smile everyday. Good hair day? Like your shoes? Sitting with better posture? You did 10 push ups? Alright then!

I don't mean to pollyanan-ize this -- it sounds like you are going through a tough time. So prepare yourself. You can reduce your stress if you a some sort of plan, or some sort of direction to move in. The unkown can be scary, and having a map (even if it is not detailed, and sometimes your route changes) can be a reassurance. Starting a fitness program now will help provide you with structure, with consistency, and will also help reduce stress, so good for you.
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    www.bountifulbaskets.org.....Order at noon on Mondays. It's $15, but you get a ton of fresh produce. Check into it.
    I'm on a very tight budget as well, but fresh fruit & veggies, plus eating less costs less than all the crap - trust me, I've been there.
    Also, if I'm craving a treat, I think about it for a while, then instead of driving, I WALK to the store to get it (just over a mile round trip)...you CAN do this!!
  • tropicalelina
    Options
    It definitely sounds like a lot is going on! I would recommend going to psychiatrist for some of the emotional baggage you are carrying but in the meantime, make this dream of yours to be healthy a reality. It's not about money (you have enough!), it's about having a goal and doing everything you need to do to make it happen. That means learning about cooking, getting creative and remembering that you are working towards something for YOU. Fresh veggies are often expensive so shop sales, buy frozen and canned veggies (they mostly have the same nutritional info, just make sure it's pure ingredients, no sauce, salt or fillers). Beans and eggs are also a great source of protein that is cheap. Dry beans are crazy cheap (learn how to cook them from scratch!) but even canned beans are a bargain - just make sure you rinse them from all that sodium before eating. Putting together meals from scratch is definitely key. If someone else didn't need to chop it for you or make a whole meal, it will be cheaper and you'll have control over what you're putting in your body. I also loved the others' suggestion for starting small, like buying 1 new thing a week that's fresh and good for you. Like I said, get creative - figure out where you can cut corners so you can make this happen for yourself. And if your fiance isn't 100% on board, don't worry about him. He needs to want it to make it happen. You can't want it for him, and you shouldn't base your behavior on what he does. Do not feel deprived, feel empowered. You can do this!!
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I dont get why everyone thinks its so expensive to eat healthily. You know, for what your hubby spent on that sub you could have gone to a super cheap supermarket and probably bought a loaf of bread, salad stuff and maybe splashed out a little on some tuna/chicken. that would do your lunches for a week. dont buy branded, "weight loss" products if you cant afford it. In my local supermarkets, you can buy their own brand bread for 60p for a loaf. if your american, thats less than a dollar. and this is coming from a student, i probably live on half of what you do. you say you have such a big dream but you cant afford a jump rope? jesus, what did the cavemen do. go to a charity shop, spend two pound on some crappy trainers and go and run. running doesnt cost a penny and is brilliant exercise. it makes you happier and healthier and relieves stress. your line on MFP is "NO more excuses"... no offence, but thats exactly what your doing. not going to sugar coat things for you, it might not always be easy but its always worth it.
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Chaotisphere, it is completely normal to feel extremely overwhelmed with all the stress in your life. However, for your mental as well as physical health, you need to make yourself your first priority right now. Only then will you find the peace of mind to feel better. If your boyfriend cannot understand this fact, then that is HIS problem and not yours.

Shopping on a budget can be overwhelming, but not impossible. I bargain shop all the time to get good, healthy food at affordable prices. A good place to start is a local farmer's market. You can score lots of healthy fruits, vegetables, and dairy for much lower prices than the grocery store. Also, take advantage of store sales, and don't be afraid to shop at several stores. First of all, it will keep you busy (which, from personal experience, I know helps alleviate depression) and, moreover, it has the potential to save you money. While frozen food has a lot of sodium, it also is a good pick when you can get it on sale because you don't have to worry about it going bad. Also, you WILL naturally save money by eating less.

I agree with other posters that exercise can be free - walk/jog/run outdoors. Exercise also will help your mood. Definitely.

Also make sure not to alienate yourself from supportive friends and family. You have a lot on your plate right now, but you ARE worth it. Good luck and please feel free to friend me if you want.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    My family was always on a very tight budget growing up. Something that I noticed is that my mom spent a lot of time and energy finding ways to make do with what she had. Clipping coupons, bargain hunting, bartering, negotiating prices, that sort of thing.

I didn't want to live like this.

In my life, I have spent the same amount of energy not finding ways to save money, but working to make MORE money. I find that, for me, life is much more enjoyable not having to look at the price at the gas pump or worry about the ratio of dollars to ounces in a box of cereal.

My mom is a great person and I love her, but different strokes for different folks. I also am not raising a family, so it is easier for me to say this.

Not exactly a fitness response, I know, but if you are working to better your life maybe spend a little time in this department as well. Reading non fiction in my personal time has made a major impact on my financial status. Libraries are free.

Good luck to you!

edit: Damn, I'm pretentious. ;)
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Restrict portions and do cheap exercise.. walking around the block, etc. It does not have to be expensive. Lots of skinny people came out of the Great Depression... (I certainly don't suggest going to those extremes... just it is possible to lose weight on a minimal budget).. You are going through a tough time right now and stress will be your main culprit. FOCUS on YOU. Focus on doing the things you need to do to get gainfully employed again. As for the Fiance... We all deal with stress different ways.. TRY not to let that come between you.. Just do what you can to get in a better condition. Try to stay on the positive side of life... (It is hard in tough situations). May the best in life be just around the corner for you!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    So sorry you feel this way. There is always hope and a way out of the chaos. Although when going through it, it sure doesn't feel that way. I took a peek at your pantry pic. What if you took your ramen noodles and add them to stir fry veggies and chicken or another lean protein. You can pick up a large bag of frozen veggies for under $2 & use 1 chicken breast. Don't put the flavor packet in but instead add your own seasonings or a little low sodium soy sauce. You can do this and as another poster said portion control is another step in the right direction. You can do this and you are worth this next new step!! Hang in there! :happy: