McD habit: must I squash it?

Options

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Splenda containes Chlorine....a carcinogen.
    Aspartame has been investigated as a possible cause of brain tumors, mental retardation, birth defects, epilepsy, Parkinson's Disease, Fibromyalgia, and Diabetes.

Aside from the above, whether it's true or not, it is "artificial".
    I'm only giving my opinion, because that's what I assume is being asked....my personal goal is not strictly weight los, but improved overall health, which includes doing away with as much artificial, processed, additive and chemical saturated food as possible.
    I drink coffee and tea unsweatened and with no sugar.....I don't frequent fast food establishments anymore (although, I admit to slipping more often since starting a second job).......I try to eat as much fresh, natural, organic food as possible.
    Again, all part of my own personal journey, and the fact that there COULD be any truth to the above statements about artificial sweeteners is enough to keep me on pure cane sugar when I have a sweet tooth. ;)

Drinking water contains chlorine. Aspartame has NOT been associated with brain tumors, mental retardation, birth defects, epilepsy, Parkinson's Disease, Fibromyalgia, and Diabetes. It has been investigated as a possible cause, but has been found to not be a cause.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's not even that BAD of food, compared to some of the stuff sold. People act like salt and preservatives and oil are rat poison. Most of us have no medical reason to worry about sodium, and never will. Oil is just another food. Preservatives are pervasive in the American diet, and are harmless and beneficial from a logistics standpoint (unless you're self-sustainable).

I love how we dieters go from totally abusing our bodies with food to treating it like its a fragile blown glass artifact that must have only the highest quality inputs at all times. :laugh:

Whilst you are probably right, I think if I made a promise to myslef to get rid of just the 3 things that were worst for me - McDs would be on the list

I don't eat it, either, but I have other vices. Much worse ones. :devil:
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I eat there once in a while if it fits my calorie goal, but my stomach will often get upset within an hour of eating their stuff. (I also did a weird personal experiment in college when I had cancer. I started radiation therapy, started getting nauseous all the time, ate a TON of McDonald's and started associated McDonald's with nausea. Unfortunately the association has all but worn off.)

I've been going a couple of times a week since I started taking night classes two weeks ago and have to go straight from work and I'm noticing I'm not feeling as well the next day, even if all my calories were in order. I'll be going to the store this weekend and buying things for sandwiches to eat in the car instead. :x
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    if it fits in your goals then why not? I do and I have fast food on occasion for the past 7 months of this and it has not hurt my loss whatsoever. It doesn't make me feel any worse, in fact I love it so it make me feel better.

For those that say it is bad, check their diaries and see how many have "cheat meals". Same concept except yours fits in with your goals.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Splenda containes Chlorine....a carcinogen.
    Aspartame has been investigated as a possible cause of brain tumors, mental retardation, birth defects, epilepsy, Parkinson's Disease, Fibromyalgia, and Diabetes.

Aside from the above, whether it's true or not, it is "artificial".
    I'm only giving my opinion, because that's what I assume is being asked....my personal goal is not strictly weight los, but improved overall health, which includes doing away with as much artificial, processed, additive and chemical saturated food as possible.
    I drink coffee and tea unsweatened and with no sugar.....I don't frequent fast food establishments anymore (although, I admit to slipping more often since starting a second job).......I try to eat as much fresh, natural, organic food as possible.
    Again, all part of my own personal journey, and the fact that there COULD be any truth to the above statements about artificial sweeteners is enough to keep me on pure cane sugar when I have a sweet tooth. ;)

Drinking water contains chlorine. Aspartame has NOT been associated with brain tumors, mental retardation, birth defects, epilepsy, Parkinson's Disease, Fibromyalgia, and Diabetes. It has been investigated as a possible cause, but has been found to not be a cause.

As I said "whether it's true or not" I prefer to keep it as natural as possible.......just giving my opinion. :)
    To each his own
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is slightly off topic....but for those that switch to aspertame because they think sugar is bad.....a great choice for a nicer tasting sugar is Coconut Sugar that comes from the nectar of the Coconut plant.

Information on the European Ramazzini Foundation’s study on aspartame:
    The long term bioassay on aspartame conducted in the laboratories of the Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center of European Foundation of Oncology and Environmental Sciences “B. Ramazzini”, represents the largest, most comprehensive carcinogenicity study ever performed on aspartame, both in terms of number of rodents and dose levels tested. The study used 1,800 Sprague-Dawley rats (900 males, 900 females) of the colony used in the same laboratory for over 30 years. In order to simulate daily human intake, aspartame was added to the standard rat diet in quantities of 5000, 2500, 100, 500, 20, 4, and 0 mg/Kg of body weight. Treatment of the animals began at 8 weeks of age and continued until spontaneous death. A complete necropsy and histopathological evaluation of tissues and organs was then performed on each deceased animal, for a total of over 34,000 slides examined by microscope.

Results of the study demonstrate that aspartame, administered at varying levels in feed, causes a statistically significant, dose-related increase of lymphomas-leukemias and malignant tumors of the renal pelvis in female rats and malignant tumors of peripheral nerves in male rats. These results demonstrate for the first time that aspartame is a carcinogenic agent, capable of inducing malignancies at dose levels lower than the current acceptable daily intake for humans (40 mg/kg of body weight in the EU, 50 mg/kg of body weight in the US).

The first results of the European Ramazzini Foundation’s long term study on aspartame were reported to the Ministry of Health and to the Superior Institute of Health of the Italian government in April 2005. In mid-June, these findings were then communicated to the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center of Columbia University, the National Cancer Institute of the US government, and the National Toxicology Program of the US National Institutes of Health. First results, "Aspartame induces lymphomas and leukemias in rats" were published in the peer-reviewed European Journal of Oncology June 2005, Vol.10, n.2, pp.107-116. Final results of the study, "First Demonstration of the Multipotential Carcinogenic Effects of Aspartame Administered in the Feed to Sprague-Dawley Rats" were published in Environmental Health Perspectives March 2006, Vol.114, n.3, pp. 379-386. Environmental Heath Perspectives is published by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, part of the US Department of Health and Human Services. Internationally, it ranks in the top two environmental sciences journals and top five public health journals.

A 2400+ page report, containing individual rodent data on survival and all pathological results (both benign and malignant) as well a complete statistical evaluation was delivered upon request to the Council of the Superior Institute of Health of the Italian Ministry of Health, EFSA’s Department of Food Additives, Flavorings, Processing Aids and Materials in Contact with Food, the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition of the United States Food and Drug Administration and the Bureau of Chemical Safety of Health Canada.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It sounds like if you are eating there 2-3 times a week its more like a habit and a convenience, than just a "treat"

Me personally, I had to give it up completely because I know I cant do it just ONCE. And if I do it once, I will do it twice, then three times, and I will never lose this weight. Plus - even though you are counting it into your calories think about how unhealthy it is for you still. Go on COOKINGLIGHT.COM they actually have a list on there of the healthiest burgers from fast food, healthiest breakfast from fast food chains, and other good reads // recipes.

Have you tried their yogurt or oatmeal though? The oatmeal is actually pretty good. The fries just seem like a lot of salt, and the chicken is cooked in too much oil. And of course soda is bad for you anyways. Good luck though :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I find it's easier to lose weight when I change my taste preferences. I used to work at McDs and would have it on breaks since I was so poor, and it was cheap. I became really habituated to the taste. That's what was "good" to me.

Now I've cut out fast food except for on road trips, and it's yummy, but it's not my favorite. Good for a treat, but wouldn't want that on a regular basis. Yes, I could budget McD's to fit my calorie goals, but dieting is easier this way.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would eat fast food every meal if i could. it just fits so perfectly with low carb (no bread and fries ofc)
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Google how McD's nuggets are made. I'm pretty confident this would cease the habit.

this broke my nugget habit a few years ago. google chicken litter or pink slime will make you think twice about fast food in general. however i also believe that you can treat yourself once in a while and if your vice is 6 nuggets then it is six nuggets
  • eric198
    eric198 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Personally I kicked the fast food habit over 18 months ago. Like you, I would hit it a couple of times or more per week for lunch, but I was much worse than you on the calories. Now, I've just about eliminated it completely. My thing is that I'm looking for good quality food and that stuff just doesn't make the grade for me anymore. Fast food is basically eating junk, void of all real nutritional value. For me, I like to spend those precious calories on something good for me... but it's taken me 18 months to get to this mindset, and it is still a struggle from time to time.
  • joenolte
    joenolte Posts: 11
    Options
    There's a McD right next to my office, and it's my go-to lunch place. I get a grilled chicken snack wrap and a side salad with the light Italian or balsamic vinaigrette. Periodically, I'll grab the southwestern salad. My wife enjoys the oatmeals, and once in a while I might throw in a fruit and yogurt parfait. I've found it's one of the most reliable places for nutrition and weight loss. That's for me--others may not like it, but I'm down 92 pounds so it's obviously doing well for me.
  • TarezaCH
    TarezaCH Posts: 6
    Options
    Cut back. My husband does one bad food day a week. The rest of the week he eats very well. He lost about 50 pounds. He is also doing PX90. I have just restarted my lifestyle change. Good luck!!!!
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had to cut fast food out entirely but I was eating a lot more than just a small order of nuggets and fries. Maybe get it down to a once of week treat? I would be more concerned about what's really in the fast food and how it's prepared than the sodium, honestly. It's truly up to you, if it's not having a negative impact on your loss then go for it.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am thinking this way: IF you go to McD's 2-3 times a week, even though it is within your calories etc., you are allowing yourself to make some bad choices. IF you do this, then maybe you will allow yourself to do this again?

I am one to eat junk food, McDs whatever a 14-year old boy playing football would want to eat-I eat as a 50-year old! Over the past year, however, I have tried really hard to eat nuts instead of tostitos, eat a banana when I am hungry instead of cookies etc.

Try to do something else besides McDs for a week or so and see how it helps you mentally! You may surprise yourself!
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I see no need to rid it completely. Try cutting it down to once or so a week.
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I consider McDs poison. I think it's just terrible for my body. If it is the only time you splurge maybe just try to cut back to once a week? You know your body and mind, you know how it affects you.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I eat McD's semi regularly, i'd say twice a week. Some weeks more, some weeks less. Depends on my crazy work schedule. I certainly don't advocate it as a healthy choice, but it hasn't slowed my weight loss to any noticeable degree. It's all about your priorities -- are you just trying to lose weight, or are you trying to find a really healthy approach to eating? I know I am sacrificing some level of healthy eating for my fast food "vice", but it is a compromise I am willing to make at this point. I don't drink any alcohol, so I figure everyone has their vice/empty calorie splurge :).
  • grapegirl1
    grapegirl1 Posts: 22
    Options
    I wonder sometimes if all calories are created equal. What does your body do with soda differently than say milk. Or the sugar in all the sauces. How does your body process the sodium that is sometime a days limit in one meal. Food for thought?
    Good luck in changing your McD Monster's mind.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's posin