While I appreciate...

Options

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i love a good 6 pack and a good beer belly!!!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Men have it so easy. At the pool, guys can be out of shape. No big deal. Beer belly? Who cares. Permanent sweater of body hair? Not a problem! I see ALL different kinds of dudes shirtless at the pool.

But a woman? If there is so much as a dimple of cellulite visible, people are judging her bikini decision. Annoying.

In the immortal words of Peter Griffin, "Men aren't fat, Lois. Women are fat."

This obviously is false because the OP was just judging shirtless guys in the first post.

What I meant by it is that it's socially acceptable and men don't care as much. Women, on the other hand, are torn apart/tear themselves apart for not having a perfect bikini body.

So what you're saying is that men are heartless soul-less monsters who couldn't give 2 flying F's about their looks. And that its ok to tell them to cover up and hide their bodies

But women are these fragile critters who break away in tears anytime some guy doesn't open the door for her because its obviously that she's too fat for him to recognize her.

Am I getting it right here?

Uh, no.

I'm saying that it's socially acceptable (as seen in basically every television sit com ever) for a man to be less than model material, but women are pressured to fit some sort of "beauty ideal" more than men are. Women are body shamed a whole lot more than men are into feeling like they have to cover it up in public places. I see plenty of guys at the pool that aren't tanned and toned and they don't APPEAR to care (maybe they do, but they don't carry themselves that way)--this is a positive thing. They are confident in themselves despite their less than perfect bodies, and I don't hear people make comments about it (except on here where people are really into body shaming). Now if there is a bigger girl in a bikini out there, well I can guarantee you I'll hear somebody say something about it or she'll wind up wearing a cover up most of the time, etc. Note: this is not the case 100% of the time. There are exceptions. But I'm making a general statement about what I see on average.

And furthermore, I don't think ANY of us should be telling anybody else what they should/should not wear, you know, unless it's illegal or something. People have the right to feel good about themselves and wear whatever they want to, no matter what size they are.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Seems unlikely.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Men have it so easy. At the pool, guys can be out of shape. No big deal. Beer belly? Who cares. Permanent sweater of body hair? Not a problem! I see ALL different kinds of dudes shirtless at the pool.

But a woman? If there is so much as a dimple of cellulite visible, people are judging her bikini decision. Annoying.

In the immortal words of Peter Griffin, "Men aren't fat, Lois. Women are fat."

This obviously is false because the OP was just judging shirtless guys in the first post.

What I meant by it is that it's socially acceptable and men don't care as much. Women, on the other hand, are torn apart/tear themselves apart for not having a perfect bikini body.

So what you're saying is that men are heartless soul-less monsters who couldn't give 2 flying F's about their looks. And that its ok to tell them to cover up and hide their bodies

But women are these fragile critters who break away in tears anytime some guy doesn't open the door for her because its obviously that she's too fat for him to recognize her.

I didn't read that... I read it as men are better at hiding their body issues than women are...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't think men's body image issues are any less severe than woman's, and I don't think men have it any easier. What I do believe is that men are taught from a young age that having feelings makes them weak, so they don't share them as much.

Every man I've ever dated had serious insecurities about his body, just like the rest of us. Just because they don't talk about it as much doesn't mean they don't feel it just as strongly.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Be right back making a thread about me telling overweight women to not wear bikinis or flaunt their bodies

Back. I have no limbs now.

Saying that every man is comfortable about their body is just plain ignorant and the hypocrisy thats being displayed on threads like these is just sad. Alot of men AND women alike are secure in their body, no matter at what weight. Alot of men AND women alike are insecure about body, no matter at what weight.

Only difference is that men don't talk about it all the time
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about that I will wear a shirt in public next time...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Be right back making a thread about me telling overweight women to not wear bikinis or flaunt their bodies

Saying that every man is comfortable about their body is just plain ignorant and the hypocrisy thats being displayed on threads like these is just sad. Alot of men AND women alike are secure in their body, no matter at what weight. Alot of men AND women alike are insecure about body, no matter at what weight.

Which is why I think they are better at hiding than we are... when women are insecure about their bodies, they wear as many clothes they can get away with... men just wear clothes and they aren't question near as much one what they wear... I know my husband is insecure about his body.... at least as much as I am about mine... but he doesn't advertise it... Hell, I would even know if we didn't have conversations about it.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    This thread went over like a

dhs-ton-of-bricks.jpg
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Saying that every man is comfortable about their body
    No one said that, implicitly or otherwise.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I don't think men's body image issues are any less severe than woman's, and I don't think men have it any easier. What I do believe is that men are taught from a young age that having feelings makes them weak, so they don't share them as much.

Every man I've ever dated had serious insecurities about his body, just like the rest of us. Just because they don't talk about it as much doesn't mean they don't feel it just as strongly.

This! The great majority of us (women AND men) are all here for the same reason. We all have body issues and tearing down anyone for appearing less than acceptable to your eyes isn't getting us anywhere in this world.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My question is why is it that men with bigger boobs than mine can go shirtless and they're not cited for public nudity, but, if I went shirtless, I would be? That portion of the anatomy is the same...bigger on them...but still the same. Just asking.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    everyone on here :)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    It's posts like this that always made swimming in public a difficult thing for me, even back when I *was* fit.

And it won't be any easier when I *do* get to my goal.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options

Almost scared to ask, but what did you type the above with??
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    My question is why is it that men with bigger boobs than mine can go shirtless and they're not cited for public nudity, but, if I went shirtless, I would be? That portion of the anatomy is the same...bigger on them...but still the same. Just asking.

I for one hate that double standard. Topless is no big deal in other countries, shouldn't be such an issue here either.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I like that here in Ontario, we're ALL allowed to be shirtless. Though, I'd love to do it, it's not as common for women.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I like that here in Ontario, we're ALL allowed to be shirtless. Though, I'd love to do it, it's not as common for women.

Same ^^ I haven't seen a topless woman yet in Ontario... at least not in my neck of the woods where it's winter 9 months of the year... smh
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Same ^^ I haven't seen a topless woman yet in Ontario... at least not in my neck of the woods where it's winter 9 months of the year... smh

I haven't either! I think it comes down to two reasons: 1) People aren't as aware that they're allowed to. 2) It would probably cause quite a few accidents.

Sometimes though, it's really too hot to wear a shirt and I'd prefer not to have one on.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Maybe they don't care what some judgmental stranger thinks of them.

Yep. Try writing this post about a girl in a short skirt or shorts or a belly top, and see the reaction you get.

Bashing anyones body is not cool, fat, thin, male, female.

How would you feel if you'd been walking about in a bikini top because it was too hot and someone told you to put it away because you're too fat?

also, are you forgetting that many men on this site are overweight and trying to rid themselves of the beer bellies? did you stop to think you've just upset/offended half the guys here?