Gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My trainer is a socializer.. he knows everyone it seems like.

What annoys me, is when I'm with my trainer and other trainers/random people just come up to him and start chatting away or asking questions like it's not big deal. Um excuse you, but eff off.. this is my hour and he needs to be focusing on me.. if you would like to schedule a session, then please do so.

Other then that, not much bugs me. I've started going earlier in the morning when no one is there.. makes lifting a breeze!

This makes me think of one trainer we have that absolutely refuses to use the desginated stretching area to stretch. He, instead, sprawls out in between the equipment so you either can't use a couple of pieces of equipment or he is so close to you it is uncomfortable.

Nah, my trainer is not like that. He makes sure there is ample area between us and everyone else.. plus we only hog one piece of equipment at a time.. promise :)

My trainer was telling me a story though about how this guy wanted to use a leg press he was currently utilizing for a client. He told him how many sets he had left and suggested that he could use another leg press as the other two were free. The guy told him No, I must use this leg press and then proceeded to stand really close to him and stare him down until he finished with the machine. My trainer said he almost couldn't do his job because of how uncomfortable this guy made him... Some people just have no clue about personal space.
  • thundercatkho
    Options
    Don't forget the excesive hair gel, cologne, spakling tees and the abnoxiously loud "YO BUUUDDY!"s that can be heard from across the gym.

I just realized how much my gym sucks; DBs, loud girls in full make-up and womene who think they belong on "real housewives"
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It seems some of these are part of getting a license/premises to open a gym they seem to be everywhere.

The gym I attend here has the problem of people racing you on the cardio machines by having them round little islands so you can't see the machine beside you without being very obvious. I have used gyms in the States when on vacation where there are lines and banks of machines and find the person using the machine next to you when others are free a bit off putting.

My main peeve is people not giving you space on resistance machines, the number of times I have clipped people as they walk past and then look at me as though I moved the machine to them.

There is also one woman who sits for about 5 minutes between sets on resistance machines, my main problem is that her programme is similar to mine so if she starts before me I have to switch mine round.

Not so much a peeve as a confused male, is women coming in to do classes who go into the changing rooms for 30 seconds then come back out with everything they went in with and take it to the class with them, why not just go straight to the class?

Andy
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it when someone gets onto the treadmill next to mine and either:
    - keep looking over to see what I'm doing and tries to race me
    - reek as if s/he has not had a shower in days
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't think of any pet peeves at my gym. It's small and I'm there at or before 5 am, so there's only 2 other people working out.
    AWESOME, that reminds me of two guys at my gym. One wears his sunglasses (which seems to be a growing trend while lifting) and raps in the mirror. The other practices his popping and locking and windmills between sets.

Like break dancing windmills?

If you can dance between sets, you're doing it wrong! lol
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We have a guy who lifts w/o shoes on and occasionally in jeans. Okay fine, you don't need gym shoes to lift weights, but take the time to put some clean socks on! Or, wear sandals and gym shorts like your buddy. His dirty feet gross me out every time.

Also:
    girls who sit in a circle to "stretch" (gossip and giggle) hogging the entire area
    people who stare
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    "...... People who walk slowly from one station to another. Get a move on ......"

Had to laugh at this one ..... I go to the "wellness center" located in our newly-renovated hospital ..... it's got great equipment, lots of classes & great staff ...... but the membership is basically an "older" crowd ..... some with oxygen tanks, some with walkers ..... trust me, no one walks fast in this place :heart:
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, people staring at me. uhh mind your own business.

I hate the gawkers!!! It's a gym, not a meat market or a competition!
  • taxacctdfw
    taxacctdfw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    People who talk on their phone and who talk period

People who are there just to find a date.

The gym is a place to work out. To get healthy and to get fit. Save this other sH&t for the bars and in your car/home
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    oo ooo I got some....

guys that do push ups by only moving up and down like 4 inches and not full range of motion and they think that they are banging out 100 when it's really like 30.

same goes for the chin up machine, when guys don't do full range of motion and think that they are banging out 20 when it's really like 5.

Don't get me wrong... if you like to short change your self that;s on you. But I crack up inside when those mentioned above think they are hot ness.....
  • usera1365
    usera1365 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Gym I go to, and the people who I club with.

However the thing that I don't is with the gym cleaning practices... I think that the bathroom area is something that should be cleaned like every hour. Its unreal how dirty and Nasty they keep these places. Makes me not even want to walk thru that area. I would like to use the pool and stream room but hell I'm nervous I might catch something. That's my Gym pet peeve!!!
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky, because my biggest pet peeve is the rotating fan doesn't hit me often enough!

I work out at a hospital gym...it's truly awesome.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    oh another....

people that do not sterilize the equipment or benches when they are done with it. ESPECIALLY heavy sweaty users that walk right away to another machine... MY MAN.... clean the machine... no one wants to walk up to a bench and think it was wiped but its left with your dirty body odor of sweat...

:laugh: I seem so bitter.... but I'm not
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    1. Replacement class teachers who either don't turn up or do and are so bad everyone walks out of the class (yep, this happened to me today and yesterday)
    2. Guys who like to stare through the studio windows when ladies are doing classes
    3. Guys who are stare at women lifters (we are not aliens)
    4. People that leave really heavy weights on the Smith
    5. People that throw down weights (you can damage them)
    6. The woman who clips her toe nails in the locker room and just lets them fly across the room and makes no attempt to clear them up when she has finished (she's a classy dame)
    7. Hair balls in the shower
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So most of mine fall in line with OP but here are a few others:

o 1 guy will sit in the crowded locker room EATING, yep eating while taking up the small bench
    o people that do not know what they are doing...I give an A for effort nothing wrong with it, however don't pick up the 80lb dumbells and throw out your back curling them so that you can "look" strong, your not fooling anyone.
    o The women who wear next to nothing (sports bra and shorts so small your *kitten* sticks out) and then gets mad when they catch you looking (well not me) HAHA
    o And the cell phones! Oh man, emergency circumstances I get it, but chit chat/texting while taking up the equipment! Come on now.

And not really a pet peeve per say, but 1 that I find funny, the ones who come in, get on the treadmill for 5 minutes and leave just in case they might sweat HAHA
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I hate the gawkers!!! It's a gym, not a meat market or a competition!

I hate this too. I had this problem this morning doing squats. I am the only girl in the non-machine weights section, and certainly the only one who does squats or dead lifts. I would finish a squat set and look to the right, all the boys were watching. And on being noticed, they go back to the bicep curls and the dips. It's even worse with the dead lifts. Drop down to starting, adjust the hands, adjust the back, check the shoulders, check the stance.....look the right, all the boys are watching. "WHAT?!" And lift.

Have you not seen a girl lift? Have you not seen a girl bend over? Are you not familiar with the curve of a rump? Could you not adjust your weights so you actually have to focus on your own lifting instead of mine?
  • Cookie2123
    Cookie2123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Pet Peeves

1. When a group of guys takes up 3 benches so they can sit around and talk while their other buddy does a set on another machine.
    2. Talking on the phone anywhere.. really its only 60 minutes of your life, leave the phone in your locker
    3. Rudeness, people that are walking towards you and they are all in a line and nobody moves but expects you to just get out of the way cause they think they are tough..
    4. D-bag walking around you while your lifting drinking supplements and generally getting in your lift space
    5. Guys that stand right infront of the mirror and do flex sets.
    6. People that occupy the pulley machines ( I have no idea the names, but my gym has 1 so 5 people can use different stations) and 1 guy leaves his water/towel on the bar/floor while he goes to socialize, then comes back 10 minutes later and asks why your on his machine.
    7. Dropping your dumbbells from a unnecessary height
    8. Yelling during your set, really guy I bench that in complete silence..
    9. When your on a cardio machine, and there is nobody around you, all other machines are open and someone decides to use the machine right next to you.
    10. Don't use a locker for you car keys or coat.. (we have limited locker space so lockers are taken pretty quick when busy)

I am really annoyed at times with the gym.

LOL, I had to laugh at #9! The first time at my new gym this very thing happened to me. I thought I was just being petty, but I guess it really does happen to others. What happened to a little bit of personal space..jeesh.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    6. The woman who clips her toe nails in the locker room and just lets them fly across the room and makes no attempt to clear them up when she has finished (she's a classy dame)

Oh. No. I would be unable to use that locker room.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My gym is small, only for people who work in this building. I happily don't have a lot of complaints about most gym etiquette.
    What drives me batsh*t is people who use the bathroom stalls to change. There is a good sized community changing area, nine showers / changing stalls and three toilet stalls. Drives me insane when I am dying to pee and they three stalls are all occupied by people who are changing. No one is looking at you, but if you are that modest, use one of the shower/changing stalls.
  • phtbtmgrl
    phtbtmgrl Posts: 29
    Options
    [/quote]
    "What about women that come to the gym in freshly applied makeup? Why, I don't get that one at all."
    [/quote]

^^ This! ^^ I will never understand this.