Overwhelmed - I have so much weight to lose!

Options

Replies

• pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I suggest
    Give your self a time frame, I gave my self 7 months to loose 100 pounds
    when you get "weak" and want to cave, just tell yourself it's only 7 months
    you can stick to any diet for that short of time frame! ( I was 58 when I did this)
    I lost 95 pounds, in the 7 months not 100 but it was enough to keep me on target
    It was the BEST thing I have ever done!
    I am a very happy, fit 60 year old now!
    I now weigh 114, my goal was 127.
    Good luck to you
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It's never too late. Congratulations for keeping off the weight you've lost. You can keep going and you will. When you reach a plateau, just remember how far you've come. Your body readjusts to the losses and if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll have better health and lose those lbs.

Way to go!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I honestly sometimes think about where I'd be a year from now, 5 years from now, or 10 years from now if I hadn't started when I did. You may have a long way to go, but it could be longer. Best of luck to you! :)
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 years old, and in much the same boat. I have soooo much weight to lose, but it's one day and one pound at a time. Friend me if you like and we'll do it together! :happy:
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    No, no, no, no!
    Don't look at your challenge that way, or it does seem overwhelming. You are going to do just fine if you take this one step at a time. As for the weight...
    You only have 1 pound to lose.
    That is all. ONE POUND!
    MFP is set up for us to lose 1 pound every week, so just stop stressing, and take this one pound at a time. In a year, that's 52 pounds. In 2 years, you have over 100.
    ONE POUND!
    No stress - no drama and no turning back. As for everything else, just keep punching, and all will be possible for YOU!
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:

I Love this, perfect!
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    Heeyyyy!!

I understand a little where you are coming from. I'm 27 but over 350lbs.. its daunting and seems like it will never be done (i haven't been a 'normal' weight since about age 11. But now I though about it and though if I let this continue for ANOTHER 20 odd years.. how much MORE of life will I have missed out on.. and how many MORE regrets will I have about my weight.

I realise that I am younger, but I still have missed the whole of my late teens and twenties to fat.. and to be honest - I've had enough and it's time to start living. We all know the health risks of being overweight but recently I had a short hospital stay with pneumonia and the way I was treated by Drs made me feel the biggest sense of shame and humiliation ever. One of them literally just said within 1minute of meeting me in the emergency dept "so your weight... are you going to have surgery?" my response was "I would love too - will you pay?" ha ha ha but its going to have to be the long haul.. we have to do it!!

IF NOT NOW, THEN WHEN???
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    No, no, no, no!
    Don't look at your challenge that way, or it does seem overwhelming. You are going to do just fine if you take this one step at a time. As for the weight...
    That is all. ONE POUND!
    MFP is set up for us to lose 1 pound every week, so just stop stressing, and take this one pound at a time. In a year, that's 52 pounds. In 2 years, you have over 100.
    ONE POUND!
    No stress - no drama and no turning back. As for everything else, just keep punching, and all will be possible for YOU!

love this too! - thank you! with about 15stone to lose - it's really helpful. x
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A big hug from the UK, dont let the thoughtless comments of others define you - Reading this, you seem strong, honest and very human :) We all have not so good days, but if most of your days are good and you are honest with your recording - You can do this!! We are alll here for you, as you are here for us
    A lb at a time you will win :flowerforyou:
  • kbenson32
    kbenson32 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Friend me and we can inspire/motivate each other. Is there anything in particular that you have done to lose the 15?

I just quit smoking in the last month, I take it one day at a time. I think that is the key with weight loss, one day at a time and tomorrow can and always will be a better day. Keep it up!! :smile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, no, no, no!
    That is all. ONE POUND!
    ONE POUND!

I Love this, perfect!
    How do you eat a 5000 pound elephant?
    One bite at a time...lol
    Seriously, enjoy the journey. Life is to be lived...:drinker:
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You have a great attitude right now, and I think its inspiring! With potential like that, dont let how far you have to go discourage you. For now, concentrate on where you are. I threw away thinking about the 70 lbs i have to lose, now i just think about increments of 10. Every 10 lbs you lose make a treat for you. Once you get to 251, you get a new hairstyle or your nails done. And at 241 you get a new outfit. Celebrate those increments, time will fly by and youll be at your goal weight in no time and focusing on the 10 lbs at a time will make it more manageable and more exciting. Good luck!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I recommend in addition to making an end-goal, make several shorter-term goals. For instance, "I am going to walk 3 miles," "I am going to lose 5 pounds," "I am going to start a ____ class." As you achieve these goals, celebrate and congratulate yourself on making important life changes that will help you toward your end-goal. Also, don't listen to idiots!
  • sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I am 44, and was 275 (maybe more--I stopped looking) - my ticker only reflects what my goals/loss have been since I found MFP in March - when I started 3 years ago. I, too was divorced and really overwhelmed thinking about how much weight I had to lose. I had been overweight for over 20 years starting with my first pregnancy (I had two literally back to back--my kids are 11 1/2 months apart) and didn't know what to expect. I lost over 90 lbs, then in "happy relationship mode" gained back 36.5--which now I've taken back off and then some. I'm at 99 lbs down all told right now, have about 15 or so to go to goal. My motivator this time was my upcoming wedding in August. However, I found MFP and it's helped me enormously--I feel like I can get to goal and stay there, I've learned so much from this site and the people and the app.

My point is, if I can do it, you can too! Don't feel "old"...just try to do a little every day that's healthier, just as you are (congrats on the loss so far, that's great!) and one of these days you'll turn around and have more weight off than you have left to lose...the scales will tip. I kept telling myself "tomorrow is coming whether or not I do this, and in three months I want to look back and say I made progress not 'I wish I started'". I am not perfect every day, and don't expect it. I try to keep the big picture in mind and live and eat an enjoyable, liveable way.

About the skin/muscle worries you have--I do cardio and strength training almost every day, it's helped a lot and while I won't ever be a supermodel I am pretty happy with the way things are pulling back into place. Lots of water, moisturize and the exercise really helps. Good luck, you can do this!
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    No, no, no, no!
    That is all. ONE POUND!
    ONE POUND!

Thank you Bobby, for that advice! I think it will be really helpful to me to think of it that way.
  • jaimesuefit
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. Stay strong! I get overwhelmed easily. I try to do everything all at once and that doesn't work! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    That is all. ONE POUND!
    ONE POUND!

^^^^^^This! Thinking any further ahead makes me stumble. I even write a weekly blog post to celebrate my victories from the past week, and publicly state my goals for the next week. And that's ALL I look at. "How did I do" and "what will I do". That's it.

YOU can do it - one little bitty step at a time. One pound. That's all it takes.

Feel free to send me a friend request. I need support, and I give as good as I get! :heart:
  • robin68562
    robin68562 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    God bless you for quitting smoking. I give anyone who can do it a world of credit. I come from a whole family of smokers. I don't know how I managed to avoid it, but I'm glad I did.
    As to losing the 15 pounds,I just followed the calorie intake recommended by MFP and did my best to stick with it, having some days that were better than others and apparently it balanced out. I have what I want when I want it (in moderation, of course) and as I said in my introductory post, I've sworn off the pop, which is a biggie with me and cut way back on the sugar, although not completely. A lot more chicken and vegetables and a lot less of things that I know are bad for me. I don't want to mention what they are because I don't want to arouse temptation. I'm trying to stay more active, doing gardening and such and I'm just trying to remain positive.
    All the replies that I got to my post are a great help. The support is overwhelming. Thank you so much for your support and I wish you luck, too.
  • robin68562
    robin68562 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Friend me and we can inspire/motivate each other. Is there anything in particular that you have done to lose the 15?

I just quit smoking in the last month, I take it one day at a time. I think that is the key with weight loss, one day at a time and tomorrow can and always will be a better day. Keep it up!! :smile:
  • urteam
    urteam Posts: 1
    Options
    I see myself in your post. I just started here and after I started another DIET. They told me one pound a week I thought they must be kidding me. I was watching the bigest loser and I thought hey 5to 7 pounds a week. ok by christmas I will have lost 50 pounds with 50 more to go.

I am overwhelmed and I have so much to lose. 2 weeks in and i lost 2 lbs and discouraged too

Mary Chicagoland area
  • tanyakins2001
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. You can do anything you set your mind to - be consistent and persistent!!! BTW I recently learned some great tips about curbing (and eliminating) sugar cravings. The flavors of mint, cinnamon, and raspberry reduce that craving for sugar that can be so overwhelming at times. You can mix in 1 tsp of cinnamon into Greek yogurt or buy metro mint water to have on hand, raspberry ice tea helps sooth that craving too. I have been doing this and haven't had any sweets in about 2 weeks. I still think about it some times but remember what my goal is and use my tools. Best of luck to you. You've come a long way from what you said in your post. Every journey starts with a single step and each step will bring you closer to your goal. Keep at it and pretty soon you'll wake up and be surprised to see a changed body in the mirror!