Overwhelmed - I have so much weight to lose!

Options

Replies

• robin68562
    robin68562 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the support. It's so overwhelming that I started to cry a few times. It's good to know that there are so many people out there who pay attention to what you have to say and care enough to take the time to respond. I'm going to try very hard to stick with it and really lose it this time. Thank you all so very much!
  • robin68562
    Options
    Read the replies that were sent to me and pretend that they're saying them to you, So many people said so many inspiring things that I can't take the time to write them all to you, plus I don't want to steal anybody else's thunder. What a great group of people! The things I liked best is the advice to just take it one pound at a time and to love yourself while you're doing it. I think we could all use that advice --- otherwise, most of us wouldn't be where we are. I know I'm constantly trying to fill a hole inside me where love for myself used to be with food.
    Good luck to you and lets both try not to be overwhelmed. Let's be friends.
  • robin68562
    Options
    I see myself in your post. I just started here and after I started another DIET. They told me one pound a week I thought they must be kidding me. I was watching the bigest loser and I thought hey 5to 7 pounds a week. ok by christmas I will have lost 50 pounds with 50 more to go.

I am overwhelmed and I have so much to lose. 2 weeks in and i lost 2 lbs and discouraged too

Mary Chicagoland area
  • robin68562
    Options
    Read the replies that were sent to me and pretend that they're saying them to you, So many people said so many inspiring things that I can't take the time to write them all to you, plus I don't want to steal anybody else's thunder. What a great group of people! The things I liked best is the advice to just take it one pound at a time and to love yourself while you're doing it. I think we could all use that advice --- otherwise, most of us wouldn't be where we are. I know I'm constantly trying to fill a hole inside me where love for myself used to be with food.
    Good luck to you and lets both try not to be overwhelmed. Let's be friends.
  • mustangshelley1
    mustangshelley1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand that overwhelming feeling. I am 37 years old and weighed 263 when I started my healthier life journey. I am now at 233 just a few months in. I can tell you that as you lose the weight, it starts to finally feel the impossible is finally POSSIBLE!!!! I have also started walking about 2 months ago and I have to say that has made the biggest difference for me! I love how I can put in my exercise and it recalculates the calories for me. Some days, I can't even eat all my allotted calories! I started off not even being able to walk a mile and I am now walking about 3 miles a day regularly! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! And because you are losing it slowly, you should not have too many problems with loose skin, etc.

Keep it up and take it 1 step, 1 pound & 1 day at a time. Good luck!
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good luck on you journey! We are all just trudging along from one meal to the next, trying to make good decisions. You can do it!! You can friend me if you like and we can do this together! Being "pear" shaped isn't bad! "they" say it healthier than apple! I've been told I'm "avacado" !!!

I tell my daughter its all about being healthy, eat right and excercise and the rest will follow! :happy:
  • riotsgram
    riotsgram Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do wish you luck and please add me as a friend if you can use some support : )
  • Gingeeee
    Gingeeee Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi Robin, I couldnt help but reply to your letter. Not being mean or anything, but I just want you to know that you are not the only one in this world who has had these problems with life and with weight. In the first place you should NEVER take to heart what that man said to you. What kind of jerk is he? Consider the source of where this comment came from. Stop throwing in the towel all the time. Stand up and take action. One day at a time, step by step, (baby steps). I think you have been on just as many diets as I have, I have been to every single diet program there is. I finally figured it out, you know what your suppose to eat. Use a small late when you eat and DONT go for seconds. Eat lots of vegetables, salad, small amounts of meat and fruit. Exercise at least 4 times a week. Just go for a walk and it will do wonders for getting all the stress out. I wouldnt worry about a date right now, its added stress for you. Spend your time on planning your meals and writting in a diary everyday how you are feeling. Its helps alot. I have just about the same amount of weight to lose as you do. Guess what? I lost 17lbs in just under a month. I didnt think I could do it but the bottom line is if your totally at the bottom and your sick of what food is doing to your health and your body, you will do what you need to do to get your body back in shape and healthy. I feel 100% better in just this last 5 weeks then I have ever felt. When I am paying attention to myself and taking care of myself I couldnt ask for anything else in the world. Someone will come along as you progress in taking care of yourself and they will love you all the more for the person you have become. As for the sagging skin, try to have some faith and keep eating healthy and try not to worry about that right now. In other words worry about that when you have to worry about it. Be strong and keep telling yourself you can do this, afterall I am doing it. I know you can. Use all that energy you had being angry over what some dufus said and throw your walking shoes and shorts on and burn it off walking. Its worth every step of it. If you really want change for life then start it now and dont ever look back. Remember there are some people in this world that do care and keep those people by your side and let them see the real person you are. I would be glad to be a friend and see your progress.
  • nancyki
    nancyki Posts: 46
    Options
    Ditto! Must re-set that thinking! Good luck and stay with MFP
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 years old, started out at 290 and am now at 217, no more high blood pressure and no more diabetis II.. Looking forward to things in life finally. I just feel really good. The more you lose the more you move and willingly. You can do this, even with upsets, we can always push on. But to do something just for us sometimes seems harder to do. But I'll tell you, it's worth every day to finally get there or even closer to that goal. I love me now and I still have a ways to go. Other people will feel your confidence too when you get to where your going to even if it's just you trying. So keep doing what your doing, one pound at a time. I always looked forward to getting under that 289, 279, 269, 259 easier that way and it's NOT dieting, change your life to healthy eating, being healthy!!! Good luck, you'll be fine just don't ever quit!!!!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Ranted...Sorry:)
  • bamasweetthang
    Options
    good luck and i am here to with a lot to lose. been divorced 8 yrs. just started the body by vi june7th. its hard to get motivated many days. i do zumba 3 nites a week and sweetie, i am the biggest one there, but you what, i do it and i sweat, and I am praying this will work for me. i want to do more exercise but havent got started yet but i will. i am in alabama and if you ever want to chat let me know
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I see myself in your post. I just started here and after I started another DIET. They told me one pound a week I thought they must be kidding me. I was watching the bigest loser and I thought hey 5to 7 pounds a week. ok by christmas I will have lost 50 pounds with 50 more to go.

I am overwhelmed and I have so much to lose. 2 weeks in and i lost 2 lbs and discouraged too

Mary Chicagoland area

Hi Mary, I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed. If you would like someone to talk to, send me a friend request. When I get overwhelmed by anything, I stop being active. That's my biggest challenge to keeping my weight in check--I become immobilized by emotions & so gain the weight.

There's a lot of good messages on this thread. I'm being uplifted just reading them.
  • KarenK37
    KarenK37 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Its overwhelming for all of us, so you are definitely not alone. I wish you the best of luck! It seems to me your life is heading in a good direction just go with it, enjoy the good times. As for jerk face who said your hips were big what does he know he's a GUY! If you need a friend you can count me in!:smile:
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You do have ups and downs but we all do. I am so glad you said screw it to the screw it attitude. You have a great attitude and with some good support you can definitely achieve all your goals. Feel free to add me. ANd no matter what never give up.
  • robin68562
    Options
    I have a long way to go as well, but I can tell you that the journey is well worth the work. It is hard when others are negative. I used to be a pear, but when I started I was more "round" than anything. I have been put down by many others and unfortunately I found my weight was some sort of "protection" from inappropriate comments or abuse from others. Unfortunately, it took being abused again to make me realize that my fat suit offered no protection at all.

Always keep mini-goals in mind when you are on this journey and make sure you celebrate every small success, even if it means just avoiding the dreaded cravings or making an alternative choice. Those small successes are the stepping stones to a life of joy. Weight issues will always be on our plates, but you have taken the greatest steps to meeting these issues head on. I know that I have issues when I plateau for three weeks at a time and then drop a few pounds. In life, our greatest lessons are when we are in the middle of the issues we are facing, but we have to keep our eyes focused on that small light of hope to move through and make the changes long-term. Good luck and remember the Maya Angelou poem "These Hips." We may have larger hips and we may not fit into the "ideal" mold of others, but when we can find that we are comfortable with loving ourselves it does not hurt as much for those who are too lost in their own issues to be kind or optimistic.
  • robin68562
    Options
    Thank you so much for your awesome reply. It was so well-worded and inspiring. So many of the things you wrote hit home for me, especially the part where you talked about using your fat suit to protect you. I know that's exactly what I've been doing my whole life and you're right --- It doesn't work. I know I've got to stop hiding behind my fat and get out into the world again, actually being a part of it and ENJOYING it, not just going through the motions. And I feel like I'm finally taking the first steps toward doing that. So what if I have a big butt? I'm here, I'm alive and life is too short.
    Thank you for the inspiration.
    Robin
  • robin68562
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. You can do anything you set your mind to - be consistent and persistent!!! BTW I recently learned some great tips about curbing (and eliminating) sugar cravings. The flavors of mint, cinnamon, and raspberry reduce that craving for sugar that can be so overwhelming at times. You can mix in 1 tsp of cinnamon into Greek yogurt or buy metro mint water to have on hand, raspberry ice tea helps sooth that craving too. I have been doing this and haven't had any sweets in about 2 weeks. I still think about it some times but remember what my goal is and use my tools. Best of luck to you. You've come a long way from what you said in your post. Every journey starts with a single step and each step will bring you closer to your goal. Keep at it and pretty soon you'll wake up and be surprised to see a changed body in the mirror!
  • robin68562
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about cinnamon. mint and raspberry to quell sugar craving. I guess that's why I've been doing so well by having a couple fireballs a day. They're basically made of sugar and cinnamon, but two fireballs a day is nothing compared to the sugar that I used to scarf down every day.
  • robin68562
    Options
    So am I! And I can't tell you all how much I appreciate it!