Gallon a day water drinkers?

Options
tjones0927
tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
I keep telling myself to just try it for a week and see if I can do it, so starting in the morning I am going to make myself.

So...who out there in MFP land does it, has tried it, or lives by it? Any tips to push me along?

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to drink large amounts of water per day for any reason, at least most of us don't. Most sources have changed their tune on the 8 glasses a day rec.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot and I pee a lot. I don't feel much different, and I don't think it does much for my weight loss or workouts. I just don't notice a difference. I do notice my belly swells up after my first pint of water, goes down a little after I pee, then goes bigger again when I continue to drink water. That I find annoying. My belly is flatter dehydrated.
  • mommymac64
    Options
    I am a water drinker. If drinking water could make you thin, I would be invisible!:smile: But I am still an avid believer in drinking at least 8 glasses a day. It is good for your body inside and out!
  • tjones0927
    tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I want to make myself do it for the benefits to my skin, not exactly for weight loss. I am dealing with sagging skin on my tummy that is going slower than my weight is dropping. I have read that the more water the better in my type of case.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I live by it. I have a 16 oz. cup at work and I fill it up from the water cooler as soon as it is empty. It has a straw, which supposedly makes you drink more quickly. at home, i always have a glass with me as well.
  • Devonwood
    Devonwood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Drinking eight glasses of water a day might not necessarily have all the benefits that experts used to claim, but I still tend to drink sixty-four ounces anyway because, why not? It's pretty easy for me to drink sixteen ounces at each meal (just one standard water bottle), and then another two throughout the day.

What drinking that much water DOES do is stop me from drinking soda. Instead of grabbing a Diet Coke, I grab a water bottle instead.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    i heard all liquid you consume can account to water levels.
    not too sure about that.
    some maybe like very weak tea or some juices but i think anything alcoholic or strong caffeine drinks probably not.
    if i counted all my tea i'd be a gallon a day easy

Whether this is true or not I also heard too much water doesn't do you any good either
    The reason is it flushes too much out of your system like vitamins and minerals
    I had that problem when I was younger but I was a 70lb anorexic
    probably not a problem with someone who eats well and takes supplements.

So what it boils down to is the whole water debate can be confusing depending where you get the info from i spose
  • arianamari3
    arianamari3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a gallon each day for the past few weeks. I feel amazing, my face is clear, I don't eat out of boredom anymore. I've done it 2 ways- either I drink straight out of the gallon, or I pour it into a smaller bottle. I have set little markers of where I want the water line to be at what time of day. I feel great and I've even been thirsty.
  • kgoodheart108
    Options
    I drink close to a gallon of water a day. I use a Camelbak which actually makes drinking water enjoyable and I suck down way more than when I used to use bottles. Plus, plastic bottles are the scourge of the environment ;) I used to stick to the 8 cups a day, but since I started drinking more I feel a lot better during and after my workouts. As a past heavy pop drinker, I rarely drink any sugary drinks anymore. I'm never thirsty!
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ok lets settle this water debate once and for all. i work as a health care professional and i know water is critical in maintaining normal function of all of our internal organs promotes good circulation and yes it does help with skin and weight loss. the 8 glass a day theory came as way to make sure our body would stay hydrated for normal bodily functions. as we exercise we lose fluids in the form of sweat and our electrolytes get depleted and thus water can help restore whats lost.

now how much water should one drink when losing weight and exercising?? research indicated that you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day. so if you weigh 300 then you would drink 150 ounces of water a day if exercising 5 x a week x 60 minutes a day.
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ok lets settle this water debate once and for all. i work as a health care professional and i know water is critical in maintaining normal function of all of our internal organs promotes good circulation and yes it does help with skin and weight loss. the 8 glass a day theory came as way to make sure our body would stay hydrated for normal bodily functions. as we exercise we lose fluids in the form of sweat and our electrolytes get depleted and thus water can help restore whats lost.

now how much water should one drink when losing weight and exercising?? research indicated that you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day. so if you weigh 300 then you would drink 150 ounces of water a day if exercising 5 x a week x 60 minutes a day.
    for the record i drink between 1 to 11/2 gallons a day
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I drink 135+ ounces a day. I notice it helps with bloating significantly. It also helps keep my nasty migraine problem to a minimum.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

What research was that?
  • r121567
    r121567 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find lots of water keeps urinary tract infections away - makes my hair & nails grow faster & skin younger - I fill a gallon pitcher up every morning, I drink at LEAST that much every day. BTW, I gained weight when I stopped so I'm back to my old ways!
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water! I just cary a huge water bottle around with me daily. I try to fill it up at least 3 times. That is what has helped me
  • vinreo82
    vinreo82 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just started, it's something you need to build up to. I have a 1/2 gallon carafe that I fill up and take with me to work. I'll drink it throughout the day and I'm finishing it a well before my shift is over now. The main thing it has done is kept me away from sodas.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I switched cold turkey from drinking tea/pop/milk to drinking only water. I have a glass that I just drink down straight every hour or so - I don't sip because if I do I'll never finish it.

I thought it would be really hard; I was a hardcore tea drinker and I'm not a huge fan of the taste of water. But looking at the calories I was bringing in, a lot of of it was from liquids - and a lot was sugar and fat. So that was that for me.
  • Jjw1125
    Jjw1125 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a gallon each day for the past few weeks. I feel amazing, my face is clear, I don't eat out of boredom anymore. I've done it 2 ways- either I drink straight out of the gallon, or I pour it into a smaller bottle. I have set little markers of where I want the water line to be at what time of day. I feel great and I've even been thirsty.

I have been drinking like this about as long. Although I hadn't thought of putting little markers on the bottle. I like that idea.

Below is an interesting site, with a bit of information about benefits of drinking water. Some good stats are included. Percentages always make people feel better. haha

http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Iif I'm not mistaken that is nearly 4 litres a day. Why would you need to drink that much?

Sure, water (liquid) is good for our systems, but I just don't think you are ging to get a lot of extra benfit from going overboard.
    You will get lots of extra trips to the loo though!
  • Timetogetskinny
    Timetogetskinny Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would think that a gallon of water is way tooooo much... but, if it's what you think you need, then by all means, go for it!! Also, if you work out over 60 minutes a day, then I would think your body would need more water... because, what we burn off, don't we need to replenish?

I put 6 water bottles on my kitchen counter and from the time I wake up to the time I hit the bed, all my bottles are empty!! If I don't get to all of them, then I at least make sure that I've drank 4!

Good luck! =D