Gallon a day water drinkers?

Options

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

I use this calculator to figure out how much water I need. Right now, based on where I live, breastfeeding, etc. I should be drinking about 120 ounces a day, or, about a gallon. Most days it's hard for me because out water tastes a little gross, even with filtration.
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i drink about four litres a day,..
    PERSONALLY - it clears my skin on my face, it stops my hunger cravings and overall i feel good..
    the days i dont work out i maybe dont drink as much.
    but i push myself to drink water all the time. I carry water everywhere with me as i used to not drink enough and get migranes

I was on that 1 gallon a day bad wagon, but my skin was still not clearing up..went to to 2 different dermatologists who told me that water does NOTHING for your skin...that water does not for the BACTERIA growing in pockets of the pores that creates acne, and unfortunately people have been buying into that for years..He said it isn't bad for you, but its not the miracle cure for acne. I still think water is necessary and should be taken over soda, but a gallon a day bloated me up, and made me pee far too much for my liking. Now I try to get in between 8-10.

But TO EACH HIS/HER OWN :)
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    i have recently started drinking more water myself (i started out at drinking NOTHING but pepsi/diet coke) and i have to admit im actually starting to lose weight because of it!! i have been at this for almost 2 months and and had actually put weight on until recently :D
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I drink a gallon of coffee a day. Does that count? :wink:
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I find lots of water keeps urinary tract infections away - makes my hair & nails grow faster & skin younger

^ that
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I drink at least a gallon a day especially on days when I work out, on days that I don't I usually will drink about 3/4 of a gallon or 96 oz. I will usually drink 16 oz with bfast, 16oz before lunch, 16 oz with lunch, 16 oz at snack time, I will drink a 16 oz bottle before exercising and during exercising, and after exercising, and then another 16 oz bottle with dinner. This way you break it up a little bit and also it makes it so you don't overeat any of your meals and feel full. Yesterday I went way over cause I was running a 10k and it was hot out so I lost cound after 19 glasses of water. I count any 0 calorie non decaf beverage as water. If you're worried about electrolyte balance add some smart water, powerade zero, or gatorade has a 0 calorie sport drink as well.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! I ended up in the hospital for 3 days because of it. Flushed all the sodium, etc., out of my body. Please, please, please be careful when drinking too much water. There was some debate on MFP when I announced that I had been hospitalized for it. The doctors said it was possible to become "dehydrated" by drinking too much water. I know it wasn't a medical term they were using, they were just stating that I was flushing all of the things out of my body that my body needed.
    how much is too much???

I was drinking approx. 128 oz per day. I'm 5'4", at the time 128 lbs. (I had lost weight by using MFP). I am now 5'4", 153 lbs. because I am starting over since my incident. I got scared and stopped dieting. Now I'm back on track and hopefully going to do this the smarter way.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Would a gallon a day mess up electrolyte balance?

not any more than not drinking water... if they drinks a sports drink as needed, they are good. Your body will tell you if their is an electrolyte imbalance; Dizziness, Fatigue, Nausea with or without vomiting, Trembling, Constipation, Dark urine, Decreased urine output, Dry mouth and foul breath, Dry skin, Lack of perspiration, Muscle weakness, Stiff or aching joints

http://www.localhealth.com/article/electrolyte-imbalance/symptoms
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Would a gallon a day mess up electrolyte balance?

not any more than not drinking water... if they drinks a sports drink as needed, they are good. Your body will tell you if their is an electrolyte imbalance; Dizziness, Fatigue, Nausea with or without vomiting, Trembling, Constipation, Dark urine, Decreased urine output, Dry mouth and foul breath, Dry skin, Lack of perspiration, Muscle weakness, Stiff or aching joints

http://www.localhealth.com/article/electrolyte-imbalance/symptoms

That's where I messed up. I wasn't replacing the electrolytes with anything. I was strictly drinking water. Passed out 5 times between my family room and my bedroom. Was taken to the hospital to find out that my body was low in EVERYTHING. Very good post.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't set out to drink that much, but I definitely do. Probably closer to a gallon and a half.
    I remember when I did roofing, I drank around 4 gallons a day. Those days sucked.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I get through about 3.5L a day.
    1.5L at work through the day, and then 2L of an evening, Britta Filtered with a Sliced Lemon and Slice Lime just to give it some flavour.

It's done miracles for my Skin too.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The best advice about water I have seen is "Drink when you are thirsty." The body self-regulates this very well. This means that if you feel thirsty enough to drink 8 glasses a day: do it. If not: don't fret.

It is possible to drink too much, and flush out vital nutrients. If you are worried about water retention it's much better to cut back on the use of regular table salt, than to flush out all the salts in the body by over-drinking. Drinking too much can also damage the kidneys' ability to act as a filter.

Here are a couple of articles on the topic:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshealth/features/watermyth.htm
    http://www.npr.org/2008/04/03/89323934/five-myths-about-drinking-water

Here's a very good take on the 8-glasses myth by a professor Heinz Valtin:
    http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20020711213420data_trunc_sys.shtml

And here's a link to the review article he was invited to write (a review on research concerning water and hydration in the human body):
    http://rcmi.rcm.upr.edu/rcminews/news0203/review-article-by-dr.-heinz-valtin-in-the-american

So: If you feel thirsty, drink. If you don't feel thirsty, don't worry about not reaching the 8 glasses a day-goal.
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    A gallon a day is 4.5 litres according to my google searches - omg how do you drink that much lol!!

I can easily do 2-3 litres a day, but don't think I could up it to 4.5.

It's true though, the more water you drink, the more you crave (up to a limit, with me), and if you do it for a while you eventually don't need to pee all the time!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Ooh I was 4 litres yesterday. I've been drinking so much water recently it's almost like a challenge now. I drank 8 pints of the stuff yesterday - twice as much as those pesky 8 cups. I did exercise though, and I work in a bar so I'm always sipping something it might as well be water.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    ok lets settle this water debate once and for all. i work as a health care professional and i know water is critical in maintaining normal function of all of our internal organs promotes good circulation and yes it does help with skin and weight loss. the 8 glass a day theory came as way to make sure our body would stay hydrated for normal bodily functions. as we exercise we lose fluids in the form of sweat and our electrolytes get depleted and thus water can help restore whats lost.

now how much water should one drink when losing weight and exercising?? research indicated that you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day. so if you weigh 300 then you would drink 150 ounces of water a day if exercising 5 x a week x 60 minutes a day.
    for the record i drink between 1 to 11/2 gallons a day

Tap water or bottled water? I drink tap, but question the safety of the chemicals and what they could be doing to my body...
  • justiningham
    justiningham Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3-4 liters a day. At work I use the machine to fill up and at home filtered water... I can't get enough, I drink as I am thirsty, but got checked out for diabeties as my boss was concerned with how much I drank!
    That's all fine, just love drinking cold water through the day! Just don't get me started on cups of tea as I love them too!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    ^^ I'm the same way, I've always been thirsty all the time (I too have been checked for diabetes and all my levels of everything are apparently perfect.)

I used to drink a mix of water, juice and pop throughout the day but now I'm almost exclusively water except for the odd treat. I have lost weight, feel healthier and get less headaches.

I refuse to drink anything with aspartame in it because it gives me migraines and I expect is bad in many other ways as well.
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ok lets settle this water debate once and for all. i work as a health care professional and i know water is critical in maintaining normal function of all of our internal organs promotes good circulation and yes it does help with skin and weight loss. the 8 glass a day theory came as way to make sure our body would stay hydrated for normal bodily functions. as we exercise we lose fluids in the form of sweat and our electrolytes get depleted and thus water can help restore whats lost.

now how much water should one drink when losing weight and exercising?? research indicated that you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day. so if you weigh 300 then you would drink 150 ounces of water a day if exercising 5 x a week x 60 minutes a day.

***BUMP 4 ALL TO SEE***
    Elephantbutt.gif
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options

This is my thoughts, I came across this formula so many times, I work at a day camp out in the sun and I play tennis regularly and the gym as much as I can. I weigh 261 pounds, so I gallon is right on target for me, sometimes more depending on how long I am out in the sun or playing. I can drink a gallon during a long match and not have to pee once. I know my body definitely needs that water
  • rhondajwarren
    Options
    I have seen a lot of people talking about how good it is for you to drink 1 Gallon of water per day.
    I normally weight around 115 to 120 but Ive been lifting weights and picked up a couple of pounds
    so I am now at 130 (looking to get back down to 115 or 120). My question is ... I have also heard of
    water intoxication and that kind of scares me. Do you feel by drinking 1 Gallon of water that should
    be something to be concerned about??