Where to start with lifting heavy?

Options
Ok, so I know I want to start lifting heavy, I just really don't know where to start. Everything I read lists off all this equiptment that I don't have, and exercises I've never heard of. All I have right now is a set of adjustable dumbbells that do up to 25 pounds each and I can't afford to get anything else right now. Is that even enough weight? I'm one of those people who needs a schedule, or at least an outline of a routine and what exercises to do each day, how many reps/sets all that good stuff. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Chalean Extreme DVD programme.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength are 3 good programs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Chalean Extreme DVD programme.

This is not considered a heavy lifting strength training program.
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    Ok, so I know I want to start lifting heavy, I just really don't know where to start. Everything I read lists off all this equiptment that I don't have, and exercises I've never heard of. All I have right now is a set of adjustable dumbbells that do up to 25 pounds each and I can't afford to get anything else right now. Is that even enough weight? I'm one of those people who needs a schedule, or at least an outline of a routine and what exercises to do each day, how many reps/sets all that good stuff. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Definitely not an expert. However, I was like you and not knowing where to start. I joined a gym and had a personal trainer give me this schedule. Every other day is what I was told. I now have a completely different set of things I do from what I have learned. But this may help for you as a starter because it did for me. I did all of this with dumbbells!

Curls - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Lunges - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Shoulder Press - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Squats - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Skull Crusher - 8lb weight - 3 sets of 15

Chest Flys - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Ball Crunches - 3 sets of 15

Obviously this wasn't heavy weights at first, but the idea is for the routine! :) I did start lifting much heavier! :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I have just completed my cert 3 of Fitness, if you'd like to - add me as a friend and I can put together a program for you if you'd like :)
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    There is a website Jefit that has phone apps to go with it like this site does, has lists of exercises, how to do them (with pics), suggested workouts etc. Don't worry about the equipment, what you have should take you a good ways...
  • KAA1982
    KAA1982 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Definitely not an expert. However, I was like you and not knowing where to start. I joined a gym and had a personal trainer give me this schedule. Every other day is what I was told. I now have a completely different set of things I do from what I have learned. But this may help for you as a starter because it did for me. I did all of this with dumbbells!

I know what I'm doing for part of my workout today! Thanks for the schedule
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength are 3 good programs.

I recently started the New Rules of weight Lifting for Women and I REALLY love the program.

With that said, you will definitely need heavier weights in order to lift heavy. I am about 10 weeks in, and I am currently squatting 170, and dead lifting 160...
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great starting point. Compound lifts that make you lift heavy. I would strongly suggest you start here and not with isolation exercises.
  • k8ermarie
    Options

I know what I'm doing for part of my workout today! Thanks for the schedule

Very welcome! :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the four most basic exercises out there that you should be doing involve your body weight. push ups, squats, pull ups, and lunges. when you can start doing a good amount of those, you can start heading to the gym.

those adjustable weights you have can be incorporated into the squats and lunges. hold them at your sides and start squatting and lunging. when the exercises at the limit of your weights starts getting easier, start holding them at your chest, and then start over your head.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Obviously this wasn't heavy weights at first, but the idea is for the routine! :) I did start lifting much heavier! :)

This is a solid routine without a doubt, but not what you'd consider lifting heavy. I'd definitely say start with something like this, but over time increase your weight and drop your desired rep range. A rule of thumb I go by if I'm lifing heavy, "more than 8, add weight".

It's important not to jump right in, because you can easily injure yourself going heavy without good form.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

No offence but that is just awful.

Mostly isolation exercises, and not a single back exercise!?!?? You second biggest muscle group other than legs an it doesn't have a single exercise??

Find a new trainer ASAP.

There really is no good reason for any beginner to try and create their own workout routine when there are many tried an tested routines out there to use. Go look and strong lifts or something similar.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Bonk
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Bonk

^ clever! wish i had thought of this one.

bonk-bonk
  • k8ermarie
    Options

This is a solid routine without a doubt, but not what you'd consider lifting heavy. I'd definitely say start with something like this, but over time increase your weight and drop your desired rep range. A rule of thumb I go by if I'm lifing heavy, "more than 8, add weight".

It's important not to jump right in, because you can easily injure yourself going heavy without good form.

Agreed. I mainly wanted to give an idea of what she could do as far as some moves. I was told for sure to eventually drop my reps and add weight! Thanks for your input!
  • MrTypical
    MrTypical Posts: 24
    Options
    Best response so far. These are the 3.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You'll need to find a place with the right equipment to do it properly, which means joining a gym for most of us. You want a decent number of power racks (at least 2) and benches, so you're not waiting around for them to open up all the time.

I've been following the StrongLifts 5x5 program, but I found reading the book "Starting Strength" to be very valuable in getting my form correct as well.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    the four most basic exercises out there that you should be doing involve your body weight. push ups, squats, pull ups, and lunges. when you can start doing a good amount of those, you can start heading to the gym.

those adjustable weights you have can be incorporated into the squats and lunges. hold them at your sides and start squatting and lunging. when the exercises at the limit of your weights starts getting easier, start holding them at your chest, and then start over your head.

These are the four exercises my trainer always incorporates into my workouts. I love your advice about when it gets easier to start holding the dumbbells at my chest and then over my head. Great advice, thank you! Actually now I have a question, would it be better to increase the weight (I have PowerBlocks that go up to 50 pounds each, and I typically only use about 20 pounds right now for my exercises), or to move the dumbbells higher (chest, then overhead)?
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I have tried chalene extreme, I did it for over 2 months and didn't really see many results. I will look into the stronglifts thing. The help is really appreciated.