Replies

• jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    get the book new rules of lifting for women
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    A basic push/pull/legs program is a good way to go. You do one workout a week that focuses on one of three muscle groups: The "push" muscles (chest, shoulders, triceps, which are only worked by pushing against resistance from various angles), the "pull" muscles (back, biceps, and forearms, which are only worked by doing resisted pulling motions), and a dedicated lower body workout day. Work out MWF with T&Th being dedicated cardio days or just rest days if you like (better to do cardio though unless you're deliberately trying to put on mass). Weekends can be rest days or more cardio.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Chalean Extreme DVD programme.

This is not considered a heavy lifting strength training program.

Why is this not considered a heavy lifting strength training program? I had planned on getting this when I was closer to goal. :( I'm currently at 8, so 25 would be heavy for me.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Why is this not considered a heavy lifting strength training program? I had planned on getting this when I was closer to goal. :( I'm currently at 8, so 25 would be heavy for me.

ChaLEAN Extreme is a program that is basically a hybrid of dumbbell specific lifting and circuit training. The reason why it is not considered heavy lifting is because the way everything is structured (only doing one set of each exercise, and you're still lifting relatively light weight compared to actual "heavy" lifting you would do in a gym with a barbell) is because you won't see a whole lot int he way of strength gains from it. It is still a program marketed mainly toward the interests of women and what that means is that it's more about showing you results that you can see when you're trying on bikinis, but don't translate into any real athletic performance gains. True heavy lifting is more about seeing actual strength gains doing lots of compound lifts (deadlifts, barbell squats, etc). The changes in the way your body looks are more or less a side effect of the strength gains.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi parteegirl,

There have been several recommendations presented to you this morning, however, much more information about you is required BEFORE any exercise program is designed:

- You stated you "know" you need to start "lifting heavy." How was this determination made? How do you "know" you need heavy lifting exercises?

- What are you fitness and personal goals for your exercise program? For example: You want to loose 25 lbs, you want to be able to walk up stairs without breathing heavy, fit into smaller sized clothes, you have a high school class reunion and you want to look great for it, etc. Your personal goals will dictate the direction of the exercise program.

- What is your current activity level aside from exercise? Do your daily activities require a lot of movement or not?

- What are you currently doing for exercise? Is it cardiovascular type exercise like walking or treadmills? Do you use small weights and what exercises are you doing? Are you doing any type of calisthenic type activities and for what body parts? Are you consistent or sporadic?

-If you are not exercising currently, what are your past exercise and athletic histories?

- In general, how are your dietary habits? Statements like, "I eat alright" or "My diet is okay" are not answers that will help when designing a program.

The more information that is provided and its truthfulness and accuracy will determine the type of exercise program you will need.

Using your comments here and on your profile, you want to "lift heavy" and loose weight. Using your profile status, you feel, "Round .... and determined not to be." Both of these goals use "conflicting" exercises, if you will:

Heavy lifting is an anaerobic (without oxygen) activity, for quick rapid periods of time, which uses SUGARS stored in muscle tissue as its primary energy source. It will use proteins if it absolutely needed. The muscle fiber type used is fast acting that is used DOES NOT utilize fat as an energy source and fatigue rapidly.

Loosing weight, or rather dropping body fat, is an aerobic (with oxygen) activity, over prolonged periods of time, which uses the energy stored in FATS. The muscle fiber types used here can sustain activity for long periods of time and do not fatigue rapidly.

There is a third muscle fiber type, which is a cross between the first two mentioned. It has the ability to use FATS, but its primary source of energy is SUGAR. This muscle fiber type is used for short to intermediate time periods. Some research has shown there is very little FAT used as energy. Like i'ts rapid acting brother, it too fatigues rapidly.

To sum this up:

Heavy lifting uses muscle fibers that are rapid in their action, use little time to complete activity, fatigues rapidly, burns SUGARS.
    Loosing weight uses muscle fibers that are slow in their action, use more time to complete activity, fatigues slowly, burns FATS.

Like I said earlier, there have been many suggestions given already. Some of what has been suggested is geared more for the intermediate to advanced fitness levels. While there are many exercise DVD programs out there for all fitness levels, it appears the more popular ones are geared for advanced fitness levels which advise individuals to "slow down" if they are unable to keep up.

My objective here is not to destroy any goals you have or to discredit anyone here. My desire is to provide information to encourage and educate you so you will be better informed as to the proper avenues to take regarding your health and fitness.I have also seen suggestions here that have worked well for those recommending them based on their fitness levels and results seen. Without having the proper information, some of the recommendations may actually cause injury and delay achieving your goals.

As a former personal trainer of 17 years, I won't be able to suggest the best possible exercise program for you unless I have more information. Based on statements you have made and on my past experience I would say your primary objective is to drop body fat, while toning at the same time.

Feel free to email me here if you want additional information.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options

ChaLEAN Extreme is a program that is basically a hybrid of dumbbell specific lifting and circuit training. The reason why it is not considered heavy lifting is because the way everything is structured (only doing one set of each exercise, and you're still lifting relatively light weight compared to actual "heavy" lifting you would do in a gym with a barbell) is because you won't see a whole lot int he way of strength gains from it. It is still a program marketed mainly toward the interests of women and what that means is that it's more about showing you results that you can see when you're trying on bikinis, but don't translate into any real athletic performance gains. True heavy lifting is more about seeing actual strength gains doing lots of compound lifts (deadlifts, barbell squats, etc). The changes in the way your body looks are more or less a side effect of the strength gains.

I like the way contigencypl thinks and speaks. While I have no knowledge of the program talking about, he does sound like he knows what he is talking about. Without going into great detail, he is correct. This should be a program you should look into if you are unable to join a gym.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I like the way contigencypl thinks and speaks. While I have no knowledge of the program talking about, he does sound like he knows what he is talking about. Without going into great detail, he is correct. This should be a program you should look into if you are unable to join a gym.

Thanks. It's not a bad program, it's a great program in fact. But it definitely leans more toward the circuit training end of things than the "heavy lifting" end of things. It's a good program to do for health reasons and for fat loss and some visible muscle gain if you don't have much to work with when starting out. Circuit training has its merits and its strong points, but overall strength/muscle building is not one of them.

Who would benefit most from ChaLEAN Extreme? Well, the program only involves two days of dedicated cardio workouts a week, and even those use some light resistance work. The bulk of the program is weight lifting and nothing else. So if you're the type of person who enjoys doing resistance training but hates doing cardio with a passion, this is the program for you. But if you actually enjoy doing cardio-centric activities such as running, I think you'll see better results from a lot of other programs out there that are heavier on cardio.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength are 3 good programs.

I recently started the New Rules of weight Lifting for Women and I REALLY love the program.

With that said, you will definitely need heavier weights in order to lift heavy. I am about 10 weeks in, and I am currently squatting 170, and dead lifting 160...

New Rules of Lifting for Women This is a great book!!!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength are 3 good programs.

I recently started the New Rules of weight Lifting for Women and I REALLY love the program.

With that said, you will definitely need heavier weights in order to lift heavy. I am about 10 weeks in, and I am currently squatting 170, and dead lifting 160...

New Rules of Lifting for Women This is a great book!!!

I haven't read it but from what I understand it's basically a book that debunks the fitness myth that because women are in some ways physiologically different than men that they should train in totally different ways, and then tells them to get their butts over in the "heavy iron" section of the gym away from the machines and cardio equipment to do what the guys are doing and have been doing for years. And that's a great thing.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Thanks for explaining that! So she only does one set, where you would normally do 3? I was really looking forward to doing it, but it doesn't sound like it's what I'm going to want after all!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Thanks. It's not a bad program, it's a great program in fact. But it definitely leans more toward the circuit training end of things than the "heavy lifting" end of things. It's a good program to do for health reasons and for fat loss and some visible muscle gain if you don't have much to work with when starting out. Circuit training has its merits and its strong points, but overall strength/muscle building is not one of them.

Who would benefit most from ChaLEAN Extreme? Well, the program only involves two days of dedicated cardio workouts a week, and even those use some light resistance work. The bulk of the program is weight lifting and nothing else. So if you're the type of person who enjoys doing resistance training but hates doing cardio with a passion, this is the program for you. But if you actually enjoy doing cardio-centric activities such as running, I think you'll see better results from a lot of other programs out there that are heavier on cardio.

Now that I've read this, maybe I should do it after all? A gym membership isn't in my budget at the moment, but you think if that's still the case a little down the road it's worth doing this in the meantime?
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Now that I've read this, maybe I should do it after all? A gym membership isn't in my budget at the moment, but you think if that's still the case a little down the road it's worth doing this in the meantime?

She only does one set where you would normally do 3-5. This is common with circuit training. The goal behind it is to allow your strength training to essentially double as a form of cardio, and in order for that to happen they don't work you so hard you hit hypertrophy. To answer your question, it depends on what your goals are I guess. Would you say your endgame goal is more aesthetic or more functional in nature?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Strong Lifts 5x5. My lifting partner is a man. I stopped progressing upward much quicker than he did (but I'd still recommend it). I switched to 3x5 instead and am now making progress again.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

She only does one set where you would normally do 3-5. This is common with circuit training. The goal behind it is to allow your strength training to essentially double as a form of cardio, and in order for that to happen they don't work you so hard you hit hypertrophy. To answer your question, it depends on what your goals are I guess. Would you say your endgame goal is more aesthetic or more functional in nature?

I guess a little aesthetic, but I really want to be strong. Not planning on competing ever, I just want to see how far I can take myself.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What about local public rec centers or YMCAs? They can be pretty cheap.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I guess a little aesthetic, but I really want to be strong. Not planning on competing ever, I just want to see how far I can take myself.

The best thing you can do for yourself on a budget is this: Purchase one of those doorframe mounted chinup bars that doubles as a dip stand and a pushup stand, as well as a 12kg (24 lb) kettlebell. Do calisthenics (modified, if you have to--use a chair to stand with one leg on for assisted pullups until you can get them normally) and mix calisthenics with kettlebell training. Be prepared to dump more money on heavier bells earlier on as you will move up in the weight you can work with relatively quickly as your body adjusts to the movements. It won't be too long before you need to purchase a 16kg kettlebell. You may even move up one more after that to a 20kg unit before the gains start coming along reeeeaaaaaally slowly. If you need a DVD or DVD set to guide you through the KB portions of your exercise regimen, look into Skogg System. Avoid Jillian Michaels like the plague.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    What about local public rec centers or YMCAs? They can be pretty cheap.

YMCA here is ridiculously expensive, more expensive than any of the major gym chains, even Bally's, unless you get a group discount. $60/month while all other gyms only charge $20-$30.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I did Chalean Extreme for about a month and a half....I like Chalean and I think she's a great motivator, but to be completely honest, I saw no real results. I still do the workouts some days when I can't get to the gym.

Since I started "lifting heavy" I've seen a ton of results....quickly losing 3 pants sizes.

Maybe check Craigslist, yard sales, etc. and get some used weights, barbell, rack?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

The best thing you can do for yourself on a budget is this: Purchase one of those doorframe mounted chinup bars that doubles as a dip stand and a pushup stand, as well as a 12kg (24 lb) kettlebell. Do calisthenics (modified, if you have to--use a chair to stand with one leg on for assisted pullups until you can get them normally) and mix calisthenics with kettlebell training. Be prepared to dump more money on heavier bells earlier on as you will move up in the weight you can work with relatively quickly as your body adjusts to the movements. It won't be too long before you need to purchase a 16kg kettlebell. You may even move up one more after that to a 20kg unit before the gains start coming along reeeeaaaaaally slowly. If you need a DVD or DVD set to guide you through the KB portions of your exercise regimen, look into Skogg System. Avoid Jillian Michaels like the plague.

Thank you for that! I just pasted it into a Word document and printed it out. :smile: I have a chin-up bar already because I bought one for my son. I was always afraid I'd break the door frame! I heard Jillian's kb dvd is horrible for form. Thanks again!!!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Thank you for that! I just pasted it into a Word document and printed it out. :smile: I have a chin-up bar already because I bought one for my son. I was always afraid I'd break the door frame! I heard Jillian's kb dvd is horrible for form. Thanks again!!!

All of my workouts are done with a suspension trainer, which is basically modified calisthenics. I do go to the gym one day a week for a heavy lifting session that focuses on legs & back.