Where to start with lifting heavy?

Options

Replies

• k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    Ok, so I know I want to start lifting heavy, I just really don't know where to start. Everything I read lists off all this equiptment that I don't have, and exercises I've never heard of. All I have right now is a set of adjustable dumbbells that do up to 25 pounds each and I can't afford to get anything else right now. Is that even enough weight? I'm one of those people who needs a schedule, or at least an outline of a routine and what exercises to do each day, how many reps/sets all that good stuff. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Definitely not an expert. However, I was like you and not knowing where to start. I joined a gym and had a personal trainer give me this schedule. Every other day is what I was told. I now have a completely different set of things I do from what I have learned. But this may help for you as a starter because it did for me. I did all of this with dumbbells!

Curls - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Lunges - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Shoulder Press - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Squats - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Skull Crusher - 8lb weight - 3 sets of 15

Chest Flys - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Ball Crunches - 3 sets of 15

Obviously this wasn't heavy weights at first, but the idea is for the routine! :) I did start lifting much heavier! :)

No offence but that is just awful.

Mostly isolation exercises, and not a single back exercise!?!?? You second biggest muscle group other than legs an it doesn't have a single exercise??

Find a new trainer ASAP.

There really is no good reason for any beginner to try and create their own workout routine when there are many tried an tested routines out there to use. Go look and strong lifts or something similar.

None taken! I appreciate any and all criticism! Do chest flys not help your back? Because when I am doing these, I do feel it in my back. Just curious. This also, was just day one with her. I had never lifted weights before so this was really a starter point for learning how to lift weight and get the feel. I do 60 minutes of strength training now with bar and dumbbells. Total body: (Biceps, Triceps, Chest, Shoulders, Abs, Back, Thighs, etc)

Again, thanks for your comment. I know there is always something I may not know or be doing right! Always ready to learn something new or properly.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Ok, so I know I want to start lifting heavy, I just really don't know where to start. Everything I read lists off all this equiptment that I don't have, and exercises I've never heard of. All I have right now is a set of adjustable dumbbells that do up to 25 pounds each and I can't afford to get anything else right now. Is that even enough weight? I'm one of those people who needs a schedule, or at least an outline of a routine and what exercises to do each day, how many reps/sets all that good stuff. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

To be honest, it is tough to "lift heavy" without a proper home gym or fitness club membership.
    Concentrate on form.
    Use free weights, not machines.
    Try to use barbell exercises instead of dumbells.
    Start light (the weight of the bar) and add weight (5lbs max) each workout.
    Read: Starting Strength Mark Rippetoe (Can get off Amazon in e-book form for $10).
    Concentrate on form (repeated for emphasis)

One thing that surprised me when I started "Lifting Heavy" (I'm not comfortable with the term for some reason) us that there is a lot of science behind this stuff. But if you power through, do your reading and work on form, you will find the progressive loading addictive.

Before you know it you will be lifting weights that you never thought possible. Honest!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

None taken! I appreciate any and all criticism! Do chest flys not help your back? Because when I am doing these, I do feel it in my back. Just curious. This also, was just day one with her. I had never lifted weights before so this was really a starter point for learning how to lift weight and get the feel. I do 60 minutes of strength training now with bar and dumbbells. Total body: (Biceps, Triceps, Chest, Shoulders, Abs, Back, Thighs, etc)

Again, thanks for your comment. I know there is always something I may not know or be doing right! Always ready to learn something new or properly.

You will feel some back involvement with the chest flies as your back is helping you stabilise but it really needs to be worked directly with rowing and pulling movements. What you are doing now sounds much better.

Stick to te basics of squatting, pressing, dead lifting, rowing and pulling and you will be just fine.
  • DaveRCF
    Options

Believe it or not, bench press is a back exercise (back and triceps) if done correctly. Also, barbell rows (Pendley Rows) are awesome as well as military press. You will need to use heavier weights though.
  • k8ermarie
    Options

You will feel some back involvement with the chest flies as your back is helping you stabilise but it really needs to be worked directly with rowing and pulling movements. What you are doing now sounds much better.

Stick to te basics of squatting, pressing, dead lifting, rowing and pulling and you will be just fine.

Great! Thanks again! :)
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5 and if you don't know how to use the equipment or perform the lifts properly I found it very helpful to watch videos on youtube. Especially ones from Mark Ripptoe (I think that's his last name) He explains it very well.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Hey there,

I have just completed my cert 3 of Fitness, if you'd like to - add me as a friend and I can put together a program for you if you'd like :)

Is that a general offer? :)
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5 and if you don't know how to use the equipment or perform the lifts properly I found it very helpful to watch videos on youtube. Especially ones from Mark Ripptoe (I think that's his last name) He explains it very well.

Mark Rippetoe; he wrote "Starting Strength", which has been mentioned in this thread as well. :smile:
  • k8ermarie
    Options

Believe it or not, bench press is a back exercise (back and triceps) if done correctly. Also, barbell rows (Pendley Rows) are awesome as well as military press. You will need to use heavier weights though.

Thanks for the info! :)
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great starting point. Compound lifts that make you lift heavy. I would strongly suggest you start here and not with isolation exercises.

I have read everything I can find on this, but where are the women??? are women even able to follow the program? I have no idea whom to ask all the questions I have. How do you contact the Stronglifts Community?? Mehdi didn't list any link.

Are you following the program? I'll ask you since you know about it. :smile:

Being a woman how do I scale this weight program for me?
    I am starting with the empty barbell, but my gym doesn't have the Olympic one. At the most theirs weighs in at 15lbs. Isa it fine for starting this?

Do I follow it exactly or do I use lower level weights?
    I've been in the 30 min circuit room for a month now on the Cybex machines. I have gained both weight and muscle, but lets face it I do NOT want to stay in there using all theses machines. We both know this is time waste! I don't have time to simply go in there and waste my gym time. I'm too busy.

I have never lifted weights before this. I'm going 45lbs to 55lbs on the machines as of yesterday. Each workout I add more weight and I workout 3 times a week. I'm also following "The Butt Bible" . I'm at level 1 I just started this past Mon. I'm working this M, Tue, off Wed Thurs,fri, off Sat, off Sun.

I came across Mehdi's program the other night. I read his whole book and believe he's completely right. I want to follow it, but as I said I didn't see or hear one thing about women following it. We're smaller than men and we aren't really able to lift massive loads or can we??

I am wanting to do this, but confused as to what exactly to do could you help me?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    the four most basic exercises out there that you should be doing involve your body weight. push ups, squats, pull ups, and lunges. when you can start doing a good amount of those, you can start heading to the gym.

those adjustable weights you have can be incorporated into the squats and lunges. hold them at your sides and start squatting and lunging. when the exercises at the limit of your weights starts getting easier, start holding them at your chest, and then start over your head.

I agree with this - full body exercises and body weight exercises are better than just single joint exercises. But having said that, I think the big thing that I haven't seen addressed is that please start *very* slowly, both with the amount of weight and the overall intensity. Give your body a chance to get used to moving the weights around, and concentrate on getting your form down - it's very easy to get hurt doing a lot of these exercises. Focus on form above all else for the first few weeks.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great starting point. Compound lifts that make you lift heavy. I would strongly suggest you start here and not with isolation exercises.

I have read everything I can find on this, but where are the women??? are women even able to follow the program? I have no idea whom to ask all the questions I have. How do you contact the Stronglifts Community?? Mehdi didn't list any link.

I am starting with the empty barbell, but my gym doesn't have the Olympic one. At the most theirs weighs in at 15lbs. Isa it fine for starting this?

I've been in the 30 min circuit room for a month now on the Cybex machines. I have gained both weight and muscle, but lets face it I do NOT want to stay in there using all theses machines. We both know this is time waste! I don't have time to simply go in there and waste my gym time. I'm too busy.

I have never lifted weights before this. I'm going 45lbs to 55lbs on the machines as of yesterday. Each workout I add more weight and I workout 3 times a week. I'm also following "The Butt Bible" . I'm at level 1 I just started this past Mon. I'm working this M, Tue, off Wed Thurs,fri, off Sat, off Sun.

I came across Mehdi's program the other night. I read his whole book and believe he's completely right. I want to follow it, but as I said I didn't see or hear one thing about women following it. We're smaller than men and we aren't really able to lift massive loads or can we??

I am wanting to do this, but confused as to what exactly to do could you help me?

Yes women can do this program too! Come join us http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

:smile:
  • DaveRCF
    Options

Ahem. There is a Stronglifts for Women forum on this site. My wife is doing it. Everybody starts with the bar and you progress from there. Adding 5 lbs per workout to the upper body lifts is too much for her. You will see recommendations for buying little plates of 1 or 1.5 lbs and bringing them with you to the gym. A better book is Starting Strength. Mehdi can squat 400 lbs but he's still no expert. Rippetoe is.
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options

Yes women can do this program too! Come join us http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

:smile:

Oh thank you I just joined! :laugh:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength are 3 good programs.

^This!
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Ok, I am going to try to take this one piece at a time. If I miss anything, feel free to ask again or send me a message. I am not a certified trainer, just been doing for a long time and have some idea as to what I am talking about.

A woman can absolutely do Stronglift. Anyone can do it. Just take the first couple weeks to figure out what weights for for you. This workout is designed to buid the largest muscle groups which in turn will work your whole body. I change my routines approximately every 12 weeks, give or take. So for me, the first two weeks are figuring out my weights and then moving up from there. If I remember correctly Mendhi has you use a percentage of weight bassed off of your one rep max (ORM). If you "google" one rep max there are calculators you can use to figure these out. So again, you dont have to start heavy, you just want to finish heavy!!!

I have done the 5x5 in the past and I am thinking about doing it again after I get through my routine that I am currently in.

Gym limitations - you have to work with what you got! Do your best, use the what Mendhi has laid out as a baseline and do what you can, within your gyms limitations, and give it everything you can.

Please let me know if I can help you more but this really is a great workout for someone, male OR female, looking to start lifting seriously. You will see results if you follow it and really push yourself!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength are 3 good programs.
    what he said.

i'm doing stronglifts 5x5. very basic. only 5 compound movements, 3 per session. can't get much simpler while being very effective.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes to proper form, no matter what exercise you're doing. My favorite reference for looking up technique is exrx.net. The Exercise Directory lets you look up exercises by muscle group & when you click the link there's a little gif showing someone actually doing it, which is far more helpful than a written description IMHO.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I haven't read all the posts, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great program to use.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Ahem. There is a Stronglifts for Women forum on this site. My wife is doing it. Everybody starts with the bar and you progress from there. Adding 5 lbs per workout to the upper body lifts is too much for her. You will see recommendations for buying little plates of 1 or 1.5 lbs and bringing them with you to the gym. A better book is Starting Strength. Mehdi can squat 400 lbs but he's still no expert. Rippetoe is.

That's a great way of putting it! I love the SL5x5 program (which is itself based heavily on those by other great coaches), but when it came to learning to do the exercises properly, I got so much more from reading Rip's book and watching videos by him or Glenn Pendlay (for Rows, mainly).