Planet Fitness: Judge-Free zone?

Options
YaBoiMUGS
YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
Am I the only one that realizes, that for a gym that claims to be "Judge Free," they are pretty judgmental about dedicated people who live at the gym? Their entire marketing campaign is judgmental for crying out loud. Have you seen there commercials? They are funny though.

Did you see this bit that Jon Stewart had on them? Hilarious.

http://blog.pjpride.com/2011/09/daily-show-and-planet-fitness.html

Replies

• YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    yah, their commercials always came off hypocritical. lol
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    it's pretty odd to discriminate against judges.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    The ad with the femal bodybuilder made me want to kick puppies
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    Doesn't some of them have Pizza Monday's?
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Your confusing it with Stereoid Sundays.
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    I was thinking about joining, I went on a tour of their facility that they just opened near my house yesterday.
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    Your confusing it with Stereoid Sundays.

Lolz
  • myoneandonly
    Options
    I have a membership at Planet Fitness, and I do enjoy it there, but yeah, the whole ad campaign reeks of hypocrisy. Not to mention the "Lunk Alarm" - a lovely flashing light/klaxon horn combo that they set off whenever someone is deemed to be a "lunk". The fact that they had to make up a word to classify their definition of 'undesirables' doesn't sit well with me.

I've only seen the alarm go off once, and I couldn't tell why it was set off. I know no one sounded the alarm the one time this guy on the leg press machine sounded like he was trying to go Super-Saiyan to impress a group of girls nearby...
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Those commercials really just piss me off. They are actually worse than other gyms by attacking body builders assuming they are all the same. Weird how the one gym claiming 'judgement free' is the only one that attacks a whole group of people and set out to embarrass them more with the 'lunk alarm'.
  • tipyourbartender
    tipyourbartender Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays... lord lol I have a membership with them because they're cheap and convenient to where I live. The lunk alarm is pretty darn ridiculous. I always dread when certain employees are working because some employees are freaking trigger happy with that thing. I love how a lot of people with memberships aren't really serious about the gym. I can go anywhere before three pm and it'll be less than half full - that was never the case at my previous gym. Fridays through Sundays, I will be like, one of five people there lol I mean for the price I can ignore the 'judging', so long as I put my music on blast and tune out the lunk alarm and passive aggressive fatties who want to stare you down for "over exerting" yourself. What? I go to the gym to sweat.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I go there and I have to say that the people who work there are great in that they don't really use the "Lunk Alarm". There's this one guy who gets it all the time but he is really obnoxious. He'll be doing 30lb upright rows on the smith machine and grunt and groan like he's having a friggen orgasm. One of the guys that works there even said he hates having to do the alarm but this guy warrants it.

We go there mainly for the price and the fact that tanning is free and I'm a guest so I get to go for free. My husband used to belong to a fancy gym where my sister worked and he was paying $30-$40 per month and once or twice a month I'd go with him and my sister made me pay the $12 day pass (she'd hunt down the person working the desk to make sure I paid!). Not worth it for the amount of time I actually went and who the hell actually goes to the gym for an entire DAY?! It was ridiculous. Sure the free weight selection at PF isn't the best -- only goes up to 65 lbs and my husband had been benching 120 db's before -- but it suits our needs. And yeah, they have pizza the first Monday of the month and coffee and bagels on the second Tuesday but it's not like it's mandatory that you go there and stuff your face with the stuff. We have never gone to the gym for the pizza and we only partake in the coffee. I mean it's FREE (and good).

We also see a lot of people who aren't serious about the gym but we also do see some pretty jacked up guys there too. But I don't think it's just PF that people go who aren't serious. At the gym my husband went to there were people who went there who paid the trainers to work with them, did weights etc etc and still never lost any weight so the non serious exercisers aren't just at PF, they're every where.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Ah the daily show clip is rather funny
  • BahamaMama77
    BahamaMama77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to go to another gym but I felt so self-conscious. The muscleheads would stare and watch girls work out and it made me so uncomfortable. So now I go to Planet Fitness and people just do their own thing there. So for me, a young female, Planet Fitness has a much better vibe. I don't feel judged there.
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    At my planet fitness yesterday, I was waiting for 35 mins to use the bench press while these 3 dudes were doing total body work outs on them.. They weren't grunting..but staying on there when clearly you see 4 or 5 people waiting in line to use them I think warranted a lunk alarm.. Maybe do 6 sets of something then hop off and do another exercise or wait to get back on.. it's just a courtesy thing..

Other thing I hate is their water in the water fountain is warm.. like 85 degrees warm...*barf*
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    They must not advertise in my area because I only just of this (through the daily show clip)...ridiculous! I guess it takes all kinds but it is ironic at LEAST.

I've never been to one but I am intrigued.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    At my planet fitness yesterday, I was waiting for 35 mins to use the bench press while these 3 dudes were doing total body work outs on them.. They weren't grunting..but staying on there when clearly you see 4 or 5 people waiting in line to use them I think warranted a lunk alarm.. Maybe do 6 sets of something then hop off and do another exercise or wait to get back on.. it's just a courtesy thing..

Other thing I hate is their water in the water fountain is warm.. like 85 degrees warm...*barf*

There's this old guy who uses the cable tower (ours only has one) there and he does chest using every single level on the machine. It takes him HOURS to do his workout. It's really really annoying.

I also love the people who take up benches and they're using them as a place to put their stuff. I've seen people do this in other gyms too. It's really annoying.
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options

There's this old guy who uses the cable tower (ours only has one) there and he does chest using every single level on the machine. It takes him HOURS to do his workout. It's really really annoying.

I also love the people who take up benches and they're using them as a place to put their stuff. I've seen people do this in other gyms too. It's really annoying.

Every level???? They should ring the alarm on him.. I feel that they should have a 4 set limit if others are waiting for a machine.. Taking anything over 20 mins on one machine when others are around is ridiculous.. I think I'm going to write them and let them know they are more or less mocking themselves w/the commercials as it gets more and more frustrating to work out there..
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I have a membership with PF. While i agree the commercials come off judgmental I get the concept. Not everyone is comfortable working out with the bodybuilders of america. Agree disagree whatever.
    The gym is bare bones and affordable.
    Judging them for judging others is sorta special though.
    Pizza and bagels are offered, no one forces them down your throat.
    My gym rarely pushes the alarm, hell i wish they'd push it much more often. If you can't put it down instead of dropping it don't pick it the fk up.
    That shyt is distracting.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Every level???? They should ring the alarm on him.. I feel that they should have a 4 set limit if others are waiting for a machine.. Taking anything over 20 mins on one machine when others are around is ridiculous.. I think I'm going to write them and let them know they are more or less mocking themselves w/the commercials as it gets more and more frustrating to work out there..

While it is annoying my husband and I do a lot on the cable machine. We will only use one side if it's busy but if there's not a lot of people in there (there are only a few times during the day where it's not crowded) I'll use one side and he'll use the other. But the old guy is a little bit much with it.

ETA: The stupid lunk alarm scares the crap out of me whenever it goes off (which isn't often thank goodness)
  • RedneckSlider
    RedneckSlider Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Does the lunk alarm actually work? I thought it was just there for show. I've never actually seen it light up or ever heard any sirens.