Too Fat to go to the gym??? WHAT!?!?

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
Sadly I know so many people that have stopped going to the gym because they had been so made fun of for being overweight... but more than that, people are afraid that people will make fun of them for being out of shape at the gym.

Um... Hello! I am a fat person... where better for an overweight person to be than the gym?

I guess I've been lucky in that 90% of the people that I've run into at the gym have been nothing but supportive and encouraging to the chubby chicks (and guys) like me giving it their all to be healthier.... with the exception of a few muscle heads that did not like to share THEIR weightroom with a girl. (especially when I out-lifted them :laugh: )

Has anyone on here actually been made fun of for being out of shape at the gym personally? Or is a lot of it in their heads that they think people will make fun of them there?

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is in the persons head. I think when someone who's over weight goes to the gym they see all these fit people working out and think they're staring at them in disgust and it might intimidate them a little bit. What they don't know is the story of the fit people that are there. They might have been just like them a few years ago. You never know.

While I'm sure some people might be rude or give nasty looks to the over weight person my thought is "Hey, at least they're here and they're trying. It's a start in the right direction."
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm 401 pounds and I go to the gym.. sure I get some looks but I just ignore them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    A person thinking they are too fat to go to the gym is the same as a person says they won't try yoga because they aren't flexible. Both ideas are as backwards as saying you won't go eat because you're starving.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have never seen or heard anyone making fun of someone for their size or weight at any of the gyms I've worked out at over the years.

I have seen overweight people get harrassed while walking or jogging outside though (usually by high school idiots driving by).
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lovr5sDfav1qgh9aoo1_500.jpg
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been ridiculed while doing cardio in my own neighborhood. I use to let it stop me, but I have learned how to try to ignore it. Hey, atleast I am out there doing something about it.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    No never heard of someone being made fun of at my old Gym. There was a guy that used to come to our gym in a hover round scooter - you could tell he was struggling just to excercise.

I didn't see him after a while almost a year I stopped by on my day off in the afternoon - he looked amazing!
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am very large (starting weight 388), and have been going to the gym this time around for about 2 months. Noone has never said anything bad to me, and I have never seen anyone giving any bad looks either. The staff is extra nice and supportive. One of the instructors calls me "Sexy Mama" whenever she sees me. If I miss a few days, I will get a few people asking where I've been. I feel comfortable there.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    the thing is - if you are pretty large, or obese, or morbidly obese - people will stare at you, judge you, whatever, no matter where you are. The grocery store, the mall, post office, gas station.

Thats just a part of the package. Not nice, but reality, people should not use it as an excuse for not trying to do what they can do, to better themselves, improve their fitness etc.

Heck if you are to thin, to blond, to buff, to short, to tall, people stare also, and judge.....

We all started somewhere, and really non of us have arrived to our goal - we should all still strive to improve everyday, in many ways, not just the physical.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    People suck(I mean those that makee fun of others at the gym and otherwise). I dont use a gym not because Im afraid but because Im cheap and hate driving there.

Fortunately hating the gym is not an excuse, its super easy to get a good workout in at home-ridicule free
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have never seen or heard anyone making fun of someone for their size or weight at any of the gyms I've worked out at over the years.

I have seen overweight people get harrassed while walking or jogging outside though (usually by high school idiots driving by).

To be clear, this doesn't only happen to overweight people. I've been yelled at, whistled at, honked at, etc. many times while running, often by "high school idiots" (but admittedly, occasionally by women who temporarily forget how to behave in public).

But completely agree with the above responses, too fat to go to the gym is crazy talk.
  • BarreGirl
    BarreGirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten bad looks at the gym - but every time I go I walk out wishing I had something better to wear. I realize that no one wants to see skin tight outfits on someone out of shape (any more than I want to wear them), but WHY WHY WHY can't there be comfortable "training" clothes for those of us that want to exercise in something other than sweats and t-shirts....
  • jr1985
    Options
    I'm 401 pounds and I go to the gym.. sure I get some looks but I just ignore them.

I'm so sorry people have been less than supportive for you :( I dont' know why people make fun of others anyways, but especially when they are trying to get healthier.
  • jr1985
    Options
    I've never gotten bad looks at the gym - but every time I go I walk out wishing I had something better to wear. I realize that no one wants to see skin tight outfits on someone out of shape (any more than I want to wear them), but WHY WHY WHY can't there be comfortable "training" clothes for those of us that want to exercise in something other than sweats and t-shirts....

Haha true! seems like you can never find exercise clothes for those of us who need to exercise the most!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym!!! Even when I was very fat. (now I'm about 25 lbs overweight) I've never herd anyone make a comment about anyone else there. Only complements. I'm the kind of person who wouldn't stand for anyone making rude comments or jokes about anyone else. I've lost about 70 lbs, over half of them since I have been a member at my new gym. Remember that the people saying things like that are the ones who usually have the worst body image and it makes them feel slightly better when they put someone else down.
  • calitravelingal
    Options
    I'm not skinny (yet) but I feel great at my gym. People are supportive. I was worried in the beginning, because I didn't want to be judged. But as I got to talking to many of the folks there, many had been me 6 month, 2 years or when ever ago. I actually find inspiration from seeing overweigh folks at my gym. I see them working hard and it drives me to work hard too. I see people who are larger than me and they are jogging, or doing sit-ups and I think to myself if they can do it I can do it to.
  • kaliso
    kaliso Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think if anything larger people should be commended for going to the gym and not being afraid of what other people think. When I was 180 on a 5'4 frame, I was extremely self conscious but ultimately thought I'm here to be healthy, not to be ridiculed and no one but me can stop me from going to the gym.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think people stare more at the skinny girl who thinks it is ok to workout basically naked... waiting for the free peep show any second.....

but, when I catch people staring at me, I think "Yeah, that's right, I am kicking butt here.... that sweat is my fat CRYING" or "That's right... if I can do it, you can do it... push Push PUSH" or "Man, I know... maybe you can try harder next time and put 100% in.. its ok, there is always tomorrow"

You never know what people are thinking... so why not choose to let it motivate you?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I've seen it and overheard it.. mainly from people who have too much time on their hands and arent working out like they should. it's usually in passing (like you overhear some conversation about "did you see what that one girl was wearing in class?") so i've never stopped and told them to shut up. if it were something that i had to listen to for an extended time then i'd definitely speak up.

i wouldnt let that stop me though. i pay my gym dues just like they do and if i ever heard anyone making fun of me (i dont care what they say as long as i dont hear it) then i'd quickly tell them to kiss my fat *kitten*.. besides that i've always been good at snaps and insults so if someone were to make fun of me for 1 thing, it's almost guaranteed i can quickly come back with 5 for them
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've been to several gyms over the last 20 years but the only gym I have ever thought looked like an awesome place to train was Average Joe's in Dodgeball. Way too many Globo Gyms out there...