Too Fat to go to the gym??? WHAT!?!?

Options

Replies

• Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I believe it is somewhat in our heads. I remember i always thought people were looking at me all the time until i came to a realization that everyone is looking at everyone else and i stopped caring. Although i do care sometimes :blushing:

There are people who make fun of others, but i think those are the people that go to the gym to socialize and barely work out.
  • Rhondavous64
    Options
    @mamageorgie...I get those same "shout outs" especially when riding my bicycle to work every morning. Do you have a Curves in your area? It did wonders for me!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately a few months ago, I was teaching a Zumba class where there was a young girl who was quite overweight and struggling with keeping up with the moves. She was doing wonderfully, and trying as hard as she could. Off to the side, two other girls, in fairly good shape, started laughing and giggling at her, snickering, elbowing each other and obviously talking to each other about the way she looked and moved.

I kicked their sorry a$$es out for being sorry human beings, but told them it was because they were being disruptive and loud. I also told them they weren't welcome back.

Jessica, the young girl, has since lost 50 lbs and pretty much comes to all of my classes. She was sad, embarassed and she said it was hard to come back after that one day, but she did.

did I told you lately that I love you?
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am terrified to start jogging on the road, and it kept me from starting the c25k program for a few months. I found a way around it, and jog behind my house on a flat stretch of land on the side of my grandfather's hay field. This keeps me mostly out of view of the road and away from any possible jack a$$es who might think they are funny and make comments (this would keep me from exercising outside ever again, and reaffirm the fact that I can't stand people). Now if only I could get started with c25k again, it makes me wheeze like crazy, which keeps me up all night long, so therefore I stopped doing it. I know I will get used to it and the wheezing will stop (I do not have asthma), but until then I will have to put up with sleepless nights. I would like to enjoy my sleep before I have kids, thank you.
  • bikerbabe1971
    Options
    I have never seen or heard anyone making fun of someone for their size or weight at any of the gyms I've worked out at over the years.

I have seen overweight people get harrassed while walking or jogging outside though (usually by high school idiots driving by).

Yep, I have seen this too but NEVER at any gym I have used... may be you need to change gym if this happens, and certainly report it to the gym managers!!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    When I started out using the gym at 273 lbs, not one person said anything to me. Since I have lost most of my weight, I have had a number of regular gym users and staff come up and congratulate me, so I have actually found gym users to be highly supportive. My PT told me that for him it is really encouraging to see someone make such dramatic changes and follow what he advises as it makes him feel that what he does is effective.

On the other hand, when I run, I have occassionaly had comments shouted at me or people gawking at me and I am only a few lbs overweight. I tend to find that those that do are unhealthy looking older men. Anyone who says anything to me when I am running gets a fowl mouthed response :bigsmile:

Always just dive in, exercise has been the back bone to my weight loss and can be really enjoyable. I know it can feel uncomfortable at first, but that feeling soon disappears.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I get those same "shout outs" especially when riding my bicycle to work every morning. Do you have a Curves in your area? It did wonders for me!
    Not anymore. It closed within about a year of opening, I was only about 13 when it opened. I live in a very small town and it's hard for most businesses to survive. The nearest one is about an hour and a half away I believe.
  • Rhondavous64
    Options
    You are an amazing and caring person for noticing that was happening and even more so for doing something about it! Congrats to Jessica for her success despite that day. It took inner strength and love for herself to go back!
    Unfortunately a few months ago, I was teaching a Zumba class where there was a young girl who was quite overweight and struggling with keeping up with the moves. She was doing wonderfully, and trying as hard as she could. Off to the side, two other girls, in fairly good shape, started laughing and giggling at her, snickering, elbowing each other and obviously talking to each other about the way she looked and moved.

I kicked their sorry a$$es out for being sorry human beings, but told them it was because they were being disruptive and loud. I also told them they weren't welcome back.

Jessica, the young girl, has since lost 50 lbs and pretty much comes to all of my classes. She was sad, embarassed and she said it was hard to come back after that one day, but she did.
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym often (I'm an outside person) but occasionally I get a day pass for something new and different. I went one day and there were three young women who would comment on the other people in the gym. things like "OMG she's going to break that treadmill." "Would hate to be that bike right now." They were loud enough that a huge part of the gym could hear them. After the fifth or sixth comment, the manager came over and kicked them out of the gym. She told them they were not welcome to return, at all, that she cancelled their memberships because they were violating the terms of use they signed when they joined. There was a few minutes of yelling/cursing, but the manager stood her ground. It was great.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have never once felt uncomfortable at the gym.I take zumba and body combat where the classes are all women anyways. I am full blooded Italian raised in Brooklyn NYC, so I probably would get in their face. Sometimes when I am doing weight training I look around and am lifting more pounds then several skinny people or even the younger guys. I laught at that because the trainers always tell me "girl you are so strong/"
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

you are AN awesome trainer :flowerforyou: for this ... i had a bad experience with a boxercise class put me off going to the gym all together ... but stuck with it at home now 15kgs lighter ...

I have just done a course to become a instructor as well. (on sunday!)
    Was up on stage yesterday teaching couple of tracks and afterwards as I walked out I overheard one of the other ladies telling the teacher (who is training me) that i'm too fat to be on stage. That made me feel great! Not :/ I actually went home in tears and thought about giving up :/
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    My mother has said she won't go to the gym until she's lost weight. I pointed out that that was stupid, but she said she doesn't want to be 'one of those fat women that everyone watches on the treadmill'.
  • ali212006
    ali212006 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to feel awkward going to the gym and to fitness classes. But the instructors have been more than supportive and I have even made loads of friends by going to classes. whenever I see 'overweight' people at the gym - I think - good for you at least yor are trying!

Last year I tried losing weight on my own and lost a stone in about 6 months. I thought joining here might help me shift another stone so heres hoping.

DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK!!
    OBSESSED IS THE WORD LAZY PEOPLE USE TO DESCRIBE THE DEDICATED.

KEEP AT THE GYM WE ARE ALL FIGHTING THE FAT TOGETHER :D
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    That was awesome on your part! I'm a clown by nature but the one thing that I won't do is hate on someone who is obviously trying to do better for themselves.

If you're fat and going to the gym... great for you. I hope that you stick it out and meet all your goals. Don't get discouraged by the fools who will probably be the same ones that hit on you once you hit your goals.
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do feel self conscious when I used to go to the gym, but that's because I feel self conscious whenever anyone can see me exercising or sweating. Even my family! I can just imagine how silly i look huffing and puffing away, but I have absolutely no problem working out on my own and in fact it makes me work harder as i'm not thinking about anyone else or how I look!
  • Rhondavous64
    Options
    Your story is inspiring! Congratulations on your Success! :happy: keep it going! I'm just looking to give/receive support ( We could all use it)

Thanks!
    Rhonda

quote]
    This is why we are all individual's and will respond to situations differently... I was once 560 lbs. and was paralyzed with the fear of social phobia... The final 2 years (from 07-09) I hardly ever left my house, I would drive my wife to the store and sit in the parking lot while she shopped because I could not face people seeing me... It is so easy to not understand the mindset of people that deal with this crippling fear. Some people are heavy, obese, and just don't care if others are judging them but then there is people like me that would literally hyperventilate and damn near blackout from the fear... I have been in therapy for over 3 years to overcome those fears and it wasn't easy... I had not stepped foot inside a Large retail department store in over 7-8 years even before I had gotten so bad.. Even back then I did not want to deal with it... I could not walk more than 25 ft. before my AHA moment and I finally starting seeking help.. My doctor wrote me a script for Aquatic therapy because I needed to get in the pool to support my own weight and to do this I had to go to our local YMCA that is affiliated with our local hospital. I drilled the secretary with 20 questions when I was setting up the appt. Like how far is it to walk in from the parking lot to the pool, Is there private changing rooms, How many people are in the therapy pool and when is there the least amount in there, etc, etc... When I finally showed up that same lady said that after she got off the phone with me, she thought to herself there is no way this guy will show up.. So for me I can see how this can be a fear some can not move past... I do well now because I have learned to channel it out and just go do my thing and get out.. Do I still have those fears, of course but now it is do to massive amounts of lose skin from losing 310 lbs. and the fact I still see the fat man in the mirror at times. The only difference is I am stronger minded now and have been through so much I am able to process things and work through them.... but I can see how this can be and is a problem for some...
    [/quote]
  • 2012MidLifeChrysalis
    Options
    Here's my tuppence worth from the UK:

1. I am six foot tall and big with it (of course, when I was younger, either I had 'big bones' or could 'carry the weight'. No folks, I just got fat. Why should I be concerned about what people think now that I am seeking to lose weight and shape up? I never gave those same people a thought when I scarfing a king-size pizza somewhere .... double standards folks.

2. Hurrah to the girl who mentioned about gym clothes. Nike only do in this country up to a size 18. Susan Powter was an advocate of big girls stripping down in gyms because then a) you can really SEE your body and b) you can see it change shape as you move and lose ... yes, not to everyone's taste, but you can't argue with the theory. Although I love my big old baggy grey t-shirt, i know that when I start to feel fitter, I want to SEE the results - not hide it under a XXL T.

3. Finally - and this is the rant over and on behalf of all the non-skinny, gym bunnies of either gender ... NO MATTER HOW SLOW WE ARE MOVING IN THE GYM, WE ARE STILL LAPPING THE GUY STILL ON THE SOFA. Kudos to us - and I think that's what most gym goers actually think.

Rant over folks but keep the controversial threads going!!!!

Enjoy your weekend!
    x
  • Rhondavous64
    Options
    I love the support of this group! wish I had found it sooner it would have helped me get an earlier start instead of procrastinating.
    That was awesome on your part! I'm a clown by nature but the one thing that I won't do is hate on someone who is obviously trying to do better for themselves.

If you're fat and going to the gym... great for you. I hope that you stick it out and meet all your goals. Don't get discouraged by the fools who will probably be the same ones that hit on you once you hit your goals.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for a long time, and everytime I have seen an overweight person, the only reaction is respect. Especially if they are really trying. I think that is actually the more natural reaction for somebody who is into fitness. If you've struggled with weight loss and weight gain, you can identify with those people.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had a very thin young woman swathed in pink spandex inform me that the gym wasn't for people like me, it was for people like her.

She also went off on a rant about fat people at the pool and wearing shorts in summer, making her look at how disgusting they are.

I quietly informed her that I can lose weight, but the ugliness of her thoughts went right to the core.

Then, I went out to my car and cried.

And changed the time I go to the gym.

At 5 am the people are mostly interested in just getting done with their workout, not belittling others to make themselves feel better.

I also still go to the pool nearly every day and wear shorts. When I see her (small town), I smile and wave, especially when I'm wearing a swimsuit.