Now I've Seen Everything

Options

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you are obese and then get into shape? Do you have to go to a new gym?

No, to counter this they'll have free pizza Tuesday and Thursday and hand out candy bars at the exit to reward people for a job well done. Planet Fitness is halfway there to doing just this. Free pizza on some Mondays and free tootsie rolls at the front desk.

Genius!

Man, you are right, they ARE geniuses! Evil geniuses!

The philosophy of Plant Fitness and pizza day is the everything in moderation stand point. They are trying to make a point that you can have a cheat meal 1 day a month and it won't kill your diet. They aren't forcing you to eat it and it isn't like you would sit down there and eat a whole pizza.

FYI I do not go there but I do know an owner of one.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you are obese and then get into shape? Do you have to go to a new gym?

"You lost 100 lbs. GTFO!!!"
  • ldouglass87
    ldouglass87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So because one person posts a thread on one website about judging fat people, that means everyone does?

I used to be fat. I worked my *kitten* off not to be. I don't judge anyone for going to the gym and working hard. I don't care if that person is trying to lose 10 lbs or 100+. Why should I be barred from attending a certain gym just because I was actually successful at losing weight? Sounds about like the forums here lately ... only overweight and uninformed people allowed, because if you're in shape and actually know what you're talking about, no one wants to hear what you think.

You're basing your entire response on what you personally do. *You* don't judge people while at the gym because you've been there, however as a morbidly obese woman looking to get fit, I can honestly say that I *have* been judged at a gym. Some people were even so blatantly disgusted that they went so far as to state their distaste with my size within hearing distance as if I weren't even there. This didn't happen at just one gym, but two. Granted, these were young women (younger than my 24), but it's still dumbfounding when it happens. The looks people give you, the way you have to adjust the machines and hope they'll fit you, etc., is embarrassing for many and makes people not want to go. As much as I try not to let people's judgments and whatnot get to me, it can still hurt. So, just because you don't do something doesn't mean others wont. Not everyone in a gym is coming from your perspective. Just because I don't bash skinny/healthy women doesn't mean others don't and it's the same in reverse. You are not the end all and be all of the gym atmosphere, sorry.

I agree with most others here that as a business model, this is brilliant from a marketing perspective. I am also unsure as to what happens to those that lose the weight and reach their goals. My guess would be that if they were willing, they'd be turned into a marketed success story for the gym and perhaps the gym will allow you to stay as inspiration to the others, since you'll have bonded with others while there. If that's not the case, they may have a reward system set up or something where they'll pay your membership fee for the first month to another gym in the area or something, depending on prices, or maybe up to half of it. Who knows. All I know is, if one opened up here I'd probably be inclined to join it. No one likes to be the odd one out. It's only natural to want to fit in. Why bash it just because it doesn't fit in with your ideals? What works for you doesn't always work for everyone else.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So if I they only accept those that are overweight and obese, is there like some scale test before you can pay? Also, are the workers and trainers overweight and obese? I mean some of the most amazing looking people at my old gym (LTF) were people that worked there.

I guess I don't get it.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    So because one person posts a thread on one website about judging fat people, that means everyone does?

I used to be fat. I worked my *kitten* off not to be. I don't judge anyone for going to the gym and working hard. I don't care if that person is trying to lose 10 lbs or 100+. Why should I be barred from attending a certain gym just because I was actually successful at losing weight? Sounds about like the forums here lately ... only overweight and uninformed people allowed, because if you're in shape and actually know what you're talking about, no one wants to hear what you think.

You're basing your entire response on what you personally do. *You* don't judge people while at the gym because you've been there, however as a morbidly obese woman looking to get fit, I can honestly say that I *have* been judged at a gym. Some people were even so blatantly disgusted that they went so far as to state their distaste with my size within hearing distance as if I weren't even there. This didn't happen at just one gym, but two. Granted, these were young women (younger than my 24), but it's still dumbfounding when it happens. The looks people give you, the way you have to adjust the machines and hope they'll fit you, etc., is embarrassing for many and makes people not want to go. As much as I try not to let people's judgments and whatnot get to me, it can still hurt. So, just because you don't do something doesn't mean others wont. Not everyone in a gym is coming from your perspective. Just because I don't bash skinny/healthy women doesn't mean others don't and it's the same in reverse. You are not the end all and be all of the gym atmosphere, sorry.

I agree with most others here that as a business model, this is brilliant from a marketing perspective. I am also unsure as to what happens to those that lose the weight and reach their goals. My guess would be that if they were willing, they'd be turned into a marketed success story for the gym and perhaps the gym will allow you to stay as inspiration to the others, since you'll have bonded with others while there. If that's not the case, they may have a reward system set up or something where they'll pay your membership fee for the first month to another gym in the area or something, depending on prices, or maybe up to half of it. Who knows. All I know is, if one opened up here I'd probably be inclined to join it. No one likes to be the odd one out. It's only natural to want to fit in. Why bash it just because it doesn't fit in with your ideals? What works for you doesn't always work for everyone else.

Someone who is 50 pounds overweight would be just as likely to judge someone 100+ pounds overweight as a thin person would be. And they would be in the same gym.

So... A. Suck it up, realize you're (literally) working your *kitten* off and keep on keeping on or B. Report any rude *kitten* that you may come across (or learn some snappy comebacks) because there are always people there to judge you or look down on you for anything.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i think these are good idea if it helps motivate people to get in the gym . these type gyms might be partnered with other gyms so that once you got to fit and thin to go top one gym, maybe you could go to another they own for th same price.

i honestly would LOVE to go to a yoga studio where the instructors have larger bodies. there are several poses I just cant do well not because i dont have the flexibility but because my parts of my large body get in the way.

a few months ago, i essentially got fat shamed in a yoga class. we did the plow pose. i'm able to do it but i cant have my legs straight behind me because my chest and stomach will cut off my air supply, so i get around that by moving my leg to the side of my head. when the instructor walked around she even quietly said to me "nice modification"

right after class some old cow on almost the opposite side of the room who wasnt even the instructor called me out and said i wasnt doing it the movement right. i told her to mind her own f'ing business and let her know that if she was so busy looking at me then she would have noticed i'm fat and i'd pass out from lack of oxygen if i had all that body covering my nose and mouth. of course my f bomb after a peaceful yoga class didnt go over well but i was PISSED that she felt the need to embarrass me. :mad:

How super rude of that lady!!! I go to a gym at work and both of the yoga instructors are on the overweight side of the BMI scale. They both give modifications for positions and help you if you are struggling in a pose. I also cannot complete the plow pose in the "correct" form. I feel like my lungs are being crushed and my back is about to break. I normally modify with a shoulder stand and sometimes against the mirror.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. If bein scared about being judged keeps people from working out in a gym and they would feel comfortable in a place like this and actually get up and go, then more power to it.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

"You lost 100 lbs. GTFO!!!"

:laugh:
    Buh-bye!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on opening a gym that separates poser *kitten* frome people who actually want to work out. How's that for a business model?
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am fat. I judge fat people.

You can be fat and be a rude asshat, too, you know. And you can be thin and be sweet as pie.

Why am I not surprised AT ALL that this comes out of libtard California, land of pansies and hurt feelings?

Wow - you use the word LIBTARD??? Really?
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options

This is what I'm thinking, at what size will you have your gym membership taken away? Do they have weigh-ins and if you are at that magic number they've set you get kicked out? Talk about judgement, so now all fit/skinny people judge others, this is absolute bs in my opinion but what ever.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Its a private business, they can choose who they do business with. I can see how some might be inclined though the idea of working out in any gym is unappealing to me. I find no more offense at this than I would a men's only gym or Curves. (shrug) Something for everyone...
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I'm skinny but I have huge admiration for those in the gym trying to lose a significant amount of weight. We are all in the gym for our own reasons.

However,if overweight people feel uncomfortable in a "mixed" (yes provocative word for emphasis) then we have a societal problem.
    Live and let live people. Beauty is within.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    So if someone opened a "skinny's only gym" then that would be ok too? Ha. Doubt it.

I hate going to the gym because of a-holes - skinny and fat. People who are pigs and don't wipe down machines. Guys who get behind the chick on the treadmill with her butt bouncing up and down and go 2mph for an hour watching her. Ew.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I was an aerobics instructor. I remember women telling me they wanted to come to class but were too embarrassed because of all the thin, fit women. The larger women felt people would laugh at them. I always encouraged to come by telling them most people are only watching themselves (we had mirrors) and hoping they can keep up with the steps. Thin doesn't automatically mean coordinated. Curves has quite a large business going because it's only for women. Many women aren't comfortable working out where men can watch them. I don't mind if there are gyms that cater to larger people. If it helps larger people get to the gym, then why should it bother anyone else?
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am fat. I judge fat people.

You can be fat and be a rude asshat, too, you know. And you can be thin and be sweet as pie.

Why am I not surprised AT ALL that this comes out of libtard California, land of pansies and hurt feelings?

Wow, is it your intention in insult people from California or those who might be gay or possibly care about how others feel? I guess you're right that one can be fat and a rude asshat, too.
  • MrzBlessedLady
    MrzBlessedLady Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    InBeforeTheLock.gif
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea. No different then having a "women only" gym so women who are uncomfortable being around men have a place to go where they feel more comfortable. Yeah, sure there are questions like how do you qualify, do you have to weight in, or have a certain bf% to be allowed, or what happens when you lose weight. But who cares, all that will be worked out, and the people who want to go there, will go there. And the people who don't have 100's of other places to choose from.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. Putting aside the whole self-consciousness issue, obese people sometimes need certain accommodations because of their size. I'd prefer a gym that was designed with me in mind, such as classes that I could keep up with and personal trainers who know what an obese person can and can't do. They're serving a niche market, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I mean, would a thin person really want to go there anyway?
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    So I assume the people that are cool with it would be cool with a gym that did not allow overweight people?