Now I've Seen Everything

Options

Replies

• AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'd be ok with a gym who didn't allow overweight people, as long as it was marketed right (i.e. Let's not say, "Hey - fat people, you look funny when you workout and we can't concentrate on our workout so stay out... o.O). As an overweight person, I wouldn't want to go there anyway... as I likely couldn't keep up with the thinner people - no matter how much I tried.

I think working out with 'like' people is motivational. I work out with a group in Austin for people that need to lose 100+ lbs. They don't NOT allow skinny people (my husband likes to join us) but you KNOW that the skinny people that are coming around (and training you) are supportive.

It's hard to workout around fit people when you're not unless they've been openly supportive of you. It only takes one *kitten* to think that all skinny people are making fun of you (known from personal experience).
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me. I would feel better going to a gym where everyone was overweight like me. I think it could work if they could get enough people like me to sign up!!
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    <<So I assume the people that are cool with it would be cool with a gym that did not allow overweight people? >>

I would be, its a private business, they can serve who they want. To be fair, though, this niche is availabe because quite a few people seem to feel that "normal" gyms ARE for skinny people, overweight need not apply. That may not be the case, but if its really rare as so many here seem to suggest, then why would this company invest millions of dollars in it? Its a business, they want to make money. They won't make money if people don't want the service. Presumably they've done their research before deciding to promote?

Gyms are businesses and they reach out to different demographics. Most of the gyms in my area cater to college students because they are the biggest group financially speaking. I personally have no problem with it, because I don't like public gyms in general, but other demographics feel differently. Centers like Curves started opening up outside of the college area and have done well. Different strokes and all that.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    So I assume the people that are cool with it would be cool with a gym that did not allow overweight people?
    yup? there are gyms that dont allow men. there are gyms that dont allow grunting... there are gyms that dont allow people under a certain age...men only gyms..

i dont get why everything has to be for everyone. it's not like there's only allowances for a certain amount of gym licenses there's enough variety that there should be variety

i'm fat but i'm pretty fit and i have friends who refuse to workout with me but they will work out together. that doesnt offend me. i understand where they are coming from.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Does this mean their equipment is able to support an obese person? Are the machines fitted to an obese person's frame better than the ones at standard gyms? I don't see a problem with it. There are gyms for just women, gyms for boxers, gyms for people that do martial arts. It is another market with a specialty need.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Good or bad, I'm pretty sure there is a ton of people out there super excited about finding a gym that they feel comfortable at. Anything that can motivate more people to get to the gym is a good thing.

That said, at my heaviest I was only 15-20kg overweight and I always felt like a monster at any gym I went to (no matter how many people there were more or less overweight then me), which would eventually stop me from going back. Really it's all about the staff and how they can actually make you feel welcome. I love my new gym (signed up 4 weeks ago). Most of the girls at the front desk have a quick converstion with you, or at least greet you. (in the past most of my gyms the person at the front desk hasnt even looked up when people walk in).

Not only that when I run into the sales manager who signed me up every now and again he always stops for a little chat. That sort of atmosphere is what makes people feel welcome, and not judged.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Good or bad, I'm pretty sure there is a ton of people out there super excited about finding a gym that they feel comfortable at. Anything that can motivate more people to get to the gym is a good thing.

That said, at my heaviest I was only 15-20kg overweight and I always felt like a monster at any gym I went to (no matter how many people there were more or less overweight then me), which would eventually stop me from going back. Really it's all about the staff and how they can actually make you feel welcome. I love my new gym (signed up 4 weeks ago). Most of the girls at the front desk have a quick converstion with you, or at least greet you. (in the past most of my gyms the person at the front desk hasnt even looked up when people walk in).

Not only that when I run into the sales manager who signed me up every now and again he always stops for a little chat. That sort of atmosphere is what makes people feel welcome, and not judged.

I agree! My previous gym had staff that always acted like they were too good for us. Friendliness was only required till we signed on the sheet and gave them our credit cards. Also, this gym was full of beautiful, blonde and skinny/muscled people. I used to go there in my non-branded, non-lycra, non fashionable t-shirt and shorts and boy did I get some stares! People there used to look at me with a look that said, "Why are you even here?" That was AFTER paying 80 bucks a month! There was a free trainer session too. The sadistic trainer I got made me feel like s*** because I almost blacked out after 15 mins and told me fat people like me need to realise how hard it is to lose the weight, so we think twice before putting anything in our mouths. I cancelled my membership after a month and did not join a gym again for 3 years. I love my present gym. It is about 10 times the size of the previous one. Every one of the staff is so friendly, helpful and nice! The members are awesome too. Down-to-earth, friendly, non-judgemental and just there to work out.
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you are obese and then get into shape? Do you have to go to a new gym?

My thoughts exactly! They're gonna stop taking your money when you get to goal!?

^^^THIS!!!!
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Not much different than a women's only gym, and those are highly successful in many places.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I read this earlier this week and was disappointed in people today. I mean really, if you don't realize that you are fat, then what is going to prompt you to go to the gym. This sounds like a scam to me where the gym sells 2 year memberships ONLY.. and makes people commit that normally wouldn't even work out. I'm sure they are raking in the money by doing this and have dust on the equipment.

I mean, who's going to show you how to work out, and what's going to motivate you other than not being the fattest one in the place.. and yet, I LOVE seeing large people at the gym. I even go over to them and tell them to keep on pushing through.. I love watching people get healthy.

what is this world coming to?
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    I read this earlier this week and was disappointed in people today. I mean really, if you don't realize that you are fat, then what is going to prompt you to go to the gym. This sounds like a scam to me where the gym sells 2 year memberships ONLY.. and makes people commit that normally wouldn't even work out. I'm sure they are raking in the money by doing this and have dust on the equipment.

I mean, who's going to show you how to work out, and what's going to motivate you other than not being the fattest one in the place.. and yet, I LOVE seeing large people at the gym. I even go over to them and tell them to keep on pushing through.. I love watching people get healthy.

what is this world coming to?

I get what you're saying, but being the biggest one in the room and KNOWING people are watching you does not make your workout comfortable or enjoyable, even if the people have your best interests at heart.

I personally don't go to the gym to be the "fat" person who motivates everyone else to keep on truckin'.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Ok, small note here, yeah great business model and maybe well motivated, will it be successful in the long run, probably not so much. However, the idea that it is nonsense that fat people suffer from judgement of skinnier folks at the gym is someone who has their blinders on, lol. When I first started (50 lbs ago) I suffered through a number of snarky comments, especially from cute young things in their name brand workout gear. I got myself an MP3 player, put the earbuds in, and created my own workout space, lol. Fixed that problem and I certainly didn't quit going. But many folks are more easily intimidated and will fail when folks give their self esteem a good kick. Ah well, bash on.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    And, by the way -- I used to work at a women's only gym.

It was marketed as such, but the laws in this state (NC -- so, not very strict in the "legality" department to begin with) required the owner to have one men's restroom and to allow any man who put up a fuss to join. She could not legally discriminate against a man if he adamantly demanded to join. Two transgender individuals who were undergoing reassignment surgery were members, and they just chose not to use the locker room facilities to avoid any drama, but had to live as women for a certain number of months before their surgery and obviously wanted to continue doing so during the reassignment process, so they joined that particular gym for immersion, basically. She had to allow them to join, legally, despite the fact that they were not physically women yet (had not undergone surgery and hormone therapy).

I imagine the same would be true -- anyone 18+ could join if they wanted to badly enough, or it would be considered discrimination.

Technically, at least in NC (so I imagine in most states, considering NC laws are not extremely liberal to begin with), a man would be allowed to join Curves if he demanded it. However, most wouldn't, at least I hope.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. If bein scared about being judged keeps people from working out in a gym and they would feel comfortable in a place like this and actually get up and go, then more power to it.
    Agreed. I know people who are 400+ lbs. Some of them have the emotional makeup that allows them to work out around so-called normal sized people without any angst. I know others with a more sensitive nature who have literally been told by people that "Just looking at you disgusts me." Those kind of comments are devastating to those with body consciousness. Heck, I'm "only" 65 lbs overweight and I have severe body consciousness. All my life I've tended to hold myself back from doing things I love doing because I feel like people are judging me.

In some instances people (like that very rude person who said she was disgusted by my obese friend) really are judging others, and in some instances it's just a fear of being judged. But either way - if this helps get people moving where they wouldn't move before, why is anyone judging that?

Just because somebody makes a living running a specialized gym doesn't mean they're horrible, greedy people.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Strictly from a marketing perspective this is pure genius. Overweight people don't usually go to regular gyms because of the humiliation of being around fit people who they feel will judge them. By catering to this group only they can target market these folks by offering them a "safe" environment to work out in.

I would not be surprised if this is highly successful...

It's not really safe though. People are going to judge. It's still going to be a "that person's skinnier/fatter" than me thing and you'll have people who'll scoff at someone, say, at 250lbs having a hard time doing something and the one scoffing's 300+ with the thought of "hah, I'm bigger than them and can still do that!" And people who are insecure will remain that way.

It's like when some gyms made a women's only fitness area to help curb the uneasiness some women had. Doesn't stop them from being uneasy due to other women.
  • spartangirl79
    Options

It's not really safe though. People are going to judge. It's still going to be a "that person's skinnier/fatter" than me thing and you'll have people who'll scoff at someone, say, at 250lbs having a hard time doing something and the one scoffing's 300+ with the thought of "hah, I'm bigger than them and can still do that!" And people who are insecure will remain that way.

It's like when some gyms made a women's only fitness area to help curb the uneasiness some women had. Doesn't stop them from being uneasy due to other women.

True, but if it can get someone motivated to start, it's better than being too scared to go to a "regular" gym and never starting at all, or trying to work out at home and getting seriously hurt due to improper form (this is true for people of ANY size attempting a new workout program).
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous that they're worried about "potential judgment" from "smaller patrons." Isn't that a form of judgment itself? You assume because someone is lean and fit that they're judging you because you aren't?
    You must have missed the "I can't help judging fat people thread"!

I know I missed it. It's kinda crazy to have a "I can't help judging fat people thread" on a site to help you lose weight and get healthy. :huh:
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    In some ways I do get it because a lot of obese people feel judged in a gym- which is silly because I've been 300lbs in a gym and didn't really care - plus no one ever judged me and if they did- that's their issue-
    with that being said- what happens when you have a person who was obese, loses weight and is at a lower weight? Do they get kicked out? I don't get that particular part.
    ^^^^This
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    In some ways I do get it because a lot of obese people feel judged in a gym- which is silly because I've been 300lbs in a gym and didn't really care - plus no one ever judged me and if they did- that's their issue-
    with that being said- what happens when you have a person who was obese, loses weight and is at a lower weight? Do they get kicked out? I don't get that particular part.
    ^^^^This

If they were smart, they'd focus on those folks as mentors and encourage them to get certified and become trainers (if they were interested, obviously)
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a brilliant idea to me. It's gonna be a huge success. This will actually encourage heavier people to join gyms and become fit...without worrying about not fitting in..or being looked down upon. Fantastic!!!!!