Now I've Seen Everything

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I read this earlier this week and was disappointed in people today. I mean really, if you don't realize that you are fat, then what is going to prompt you to go to the gym. This sounds like a scam to me where the gym sells 2 year memberships ONLY.. and makes people commit that normally wouldn't even work out. I'm sure they are raking in the money by doing this and have dust on the equipment.

I mean, who's going to show you how to work out, and what's going to motivate you other than not being the fattest one in the place.. and yet, I LOVE seeing large people at the gym. I even go over to them and tell them to keep on pushing through.. I love watching people get healthy.

what is this world coming to?

but isnt the dust on the equipment what happens to most gyms anyway? i think all gyms in general take it as a given that less than half their members are going to show up on a regular basis. that's how they make their money. they get 100 people to sign a year contract, less than 50 will show on a regular basis which means you only have to pay for upkeep for those who do come while still collecting that cash

my gym keeps track of your gym going habits as compared to the rest of the members. when i was only averaging 2 days a week i was still doing better than 75% of the other members. that means that most people are probably averaging 1 day a week or less.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    man, I feel discriminated against, so I have to GAIN 50 plus lbs to be a member there then if I lose it all I have to go to a gym with those 'other people'....wth??

that is the craziest thing I have ever heard......I feel the lawyers in California gearing up for a law suit...just wait, itll happen
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I read this earlier this week and was disappointed in people today. I mean really, if you don't realize that you are fat, then what is going to prompt you to go to the gym. This sounds like a scam to me where the gym sells 2 year memberships ONLY.. and makes people commit that normally wouldn't even work out. I'm sure they are raking in the money by doing this and have dust on the equipment.

I mean, who's going to show you how to work out, and what's going to motivate you other than not being the fattest one in the place.. and yet, I LOVE seeing large people at the gym. I even go over to them and tell them to keep on pushing through.. I love watching people get healthy.

what is this world coming to?

but isnt the dust on the equipment what happens to most gyms anyway? i think all gyms in general take it as a given that less than half their members are going to show up on a regular basis. that's how they make their money. they get 100 people to sign a year contract, less than 50 will show on a regular basis which means you only have to pay for upkeep for those who do come while still collecting that cash

my gym keeps track of your gym going habits as compared to the rest of the members. when i was only averaging 2 days a week i was still doing better than 75% of the other members. that means that most people are probably averaging 1 day a week or less.

Absolutely.

At the gym where I used to work, and at every industry seminar I went to, the goal was to #1 sell memberships and #2 then get maybe 25-35% of your members actually coming in on a regular basis and getting results.

I worked at several gyms in college and grad school, and one in a "professional" membership manager role. If all the paying members actually utilized the facility on a regular basis, there would not have been ANY room -- it would have been impossible. With the physical space, the number of trainers and the amount of equipment, there was room for MAYBE 50 people in the workout area, and 25 in the classroom at one time -- MAYBE. And there were 600 active members.

If all those 600 members came in and worked out every day, the equipment would have needed constant repair and there would have been lines to use it, people not able to get in training sessions or classes, and lots of unhappy folks.

Gym owners depend on auto billing and anticipate that most of their members won't come in regularly.

They just need a handful of walking, talking billboards who DO get good results, to sell those memberships for them.

It really is a business. Usually the trainers are awesome and want their clients to succeed; the owners just want to sell memberships. Bottom line.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. If bein scared about being judged keeps people from working out in a gym and they would feel comfortable in a place like this and actually get up and go, then more power to it.

And that's just the secret to losing a significant amount of weight ... feeling comfortable.

Anyone who is staying away from the gym because they're afraid of all the skinny people is never going to lose weight. It's an excuse, and that's just what these gyms are counting on. But I'm not blaming the gyms. I blame the idiots who pay money to be taken advantage of.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    man, I feel discriminated against, so I have to GAIN 50 plus lbs to be a member there then if I lose it all I have to go to a gym with those 'other people'....wth??

that is the craziest thing I have ever heard......I feel the lawyers in California gearing up for a law suit...just wait, itll happen

Most likely they'd have to let you join if you threatened a lawsuit. See above post.

It's no more crazy than women's only.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    So because one person posts a thread on one website about judging fat people, that means everyone does?

I used to be fat. I worked my *kitten* off not to be. I don't judge anyone for going to the gym and working hard. I don't care if that person is trying to lose 10 lbs or 100+. Why should I be barred from attending a certain gym just because I was actually successful at losing weight? Sounds about like the forums here lately ... only overweight and uninformed people allowed, because if you're in shape and actually know what you're talking about, no one wants to hear what you think.

Wow... was that harshness needed? Because that attitude (you don't listen to me even though I lost a ton of weight so I obviously know what I'm talking about) is exactly what people want to avoid.

Honestly, I'm happy you lost weight. I'm happy I have lost weight. But you aren't the magic cure-all for everyone, because what works for you will not work for everyone.

THAT'S what people seem to forget.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. If bein scared about being judged keeps people from working out in a gym and they would feel comfortable in a place like this and actually get up and go, then more power to it.

And that's just the secret to losing a significant amount of weight ... feeling comfortable.

Anyone who is staying away from the gym because they're afraid of all the skinny people is never going to lose weight. It's an excuse, and that's just what these gyms are counting on. But I'm not blaming the gyms. I blame the idiots who pay money to be taken advantage of.

That is absolutely not true. You do not have to join a gym to lose weight. And you are very fortunate that you have such confidence in yourself; others may not be so lucky or secure.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

This! I think it shouldn't matter so much the HOW they get people to workout, just that they get more overweight people to work out. I go running in the park, but it took me at least a month to go from the walking to running. Still, I don't look at people at all because a lot of times all you see looking right back is disgust with my fat bits all jiggling around.

I think it's more important to get this country up off it's @ss and eating better then judge a guy for finding a niche in the poor economy.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i have no problem with this... to each his own, but i too wonder what happens when you "thin out". That said, there is no difference between this and men's only and women's only gyms. Plus, having been plus sized most my life, i have lost track of the clothing stores where the sales person rushed up to tell me before i could get too far into the store to inform me that they "don't sell my size" (even though i was there to buy a gift) and i distinctly remember one clothing store when i was in high school called 5-7-9 because those were the only sizes they sold. (hard to believe those were considered to be the skinny sizes) How is that any different, really? If we have clothing stores that cater to only one body type, what's wrong with a gym catering to only one body type?
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Options

That is absolutely not true. You do not have to join a gym to lose weight. And you are very fortunate that you have such confidence in yourself; others may not be so lucky or secure.

True.

Otherwise I'm obviously not near goal weight and still fat? Because I was wildly UNsuccessful when I belonged to a gym, and insanely successful at home.

And I think everyone here knows that some gyms are more like a beauty pageant all day every day than a gym. Which can be really intimidating.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    If the "Fat Acceptance" people are against these facilities, then I am now all for it.
    Always do the opposite of anything these fiends say, and you're on the right side of history.
    Maybe fat people need a place all to themselves.
    I wish them all well :drinker:
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I actually think this is a great idea. Before I ever stepped foot in a gym I was terrified. it took me a lot of years of wanting to go but being to afraid of what others would think/say/do if they saw a 300 pound woman come into their gym. If I hadn't gone with someone else to see that the gym I go to now isn't that way I probably would never have signed up. Turns out the gym is my new favorite place in the world to be and I love it there. I have not recieved any judgement (that I know of) People are super kind to me and seeing all the fit people makes me work harder. I want to be that someday soon.

Most people i know who have a weight problem also have a self esteem problem. They may not actually be judged but they precieve that they may be so it keeps them from doing something they want to do.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I wish I had thought of this. I'd make a fortune :)

However I don't think I would want to be a member of the 'fatties' gym. I want to work out with fit people until I am one! Perhaps more reasonable would be classes to especially heavy clients at quiet times in the gym so that they can be taught how to look at their goals, workout routine etc. I think with most overweight people its the first step that is the hardest.

I don't much like the idea of segregational gyms. I don't think that any one should be singled out. I think I'd feel more open to hypothetical nastiness if I went to the 'fat gym'

People need to realise that there are fit fat people and unfit skinny people too and that the majority of the time noone really give a flying fox what you are doing in the gym because they have their own stuff to thing about. Those that have time to sneer are simply not working out as hard as you are.
    I wish gyms would put more effort into sanitation and music choice from my experience.............
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    This is nuts.

My gym is as diverse as it can get. It has huge people, little people, old people, young people, Asians and Blacks and Whites and Hispanics. Women and men of all sizes.

And frankly, why would anybody that's bigger feel uncomfortable around people that are more fit? I am so impressed by obese people that are sweating away on the treadmill. I wanna give them a high five and tell them great job. I WAS one of them a few years ago, so... why would I judge them? They'll probably get judged more walking into a McDonalds.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If creating this kind of environment encourages more people to join a gym and be active, I support that. I have social anxiety disorder, and at even 20 lbs.overweight found it hard as hell to walk into a gym. Be kind, people. There's so much fit/skinny person privilege and elitism on this thread.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Beauty is within.
    No, it's not. Let's keep it real.
    Nice looking, fit people get better jobs, make more money, look well and live longer.
    The celebs we worship are terrible people on the inside, yet the general public falls all over themselves to shower these folks with wealth and fame.
    Welcome to the human race.
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    If creating this kind of environment encourages more people to join a gym and be active, I support that. I have social anxiety disorder, and at even 20 lbs.overweight found it hard as hell to walk into a gym. Be kind, people. There's so much fit/skinny person privilege and elitism on this thread.
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    Why be kind??
    Not one of the previously very obese people I know on MFP have been 'niced' into their weight loss with cuddles and pats on the back. Nope. They grafted, they stopped making excuses and put themselves out of their comfort zone so much there was no turning back

Weight loss is not kittens and snowflakes. Its for the tough and the brave because they are the ones who make it.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Options
    Why be kind??
    Not one of the previously very obese people I know on MFP have been 'niced' into their weight loss with cuddles and pats on the back. Nope. They grafted, they stopped making excuses and put themselves out of their comfort zone so much there was no turning back

Weight loss is not kittens and snowflakes. Its for the tough and the brave because they are the ones who make it.

I guess you have a point. I had to tough and brave out all of the already skinny people telling me how to lose weight. (And they all have a different way, that's for sure!) I finally learned to NOT listen to them, and do what worked for me the way I wanted to.

But how does this help others? Because this post isn't supportive - all it's expressing is inferiority if you "can't do it" - but the problem is that so many people are so overwhelmed by how everyone is telling them to lose weight that they find their heads spinning. And you can't deny that if you spend any time on the forums here. So seriously, if going to a gym with fellow obese people with similar goals helps someone, what is the problem here?
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm a "big" girl (fat/zaftig/ruebenesque/curvy/plus-sized/insertyourfavoriteeuphemismhere), and I don't like this idea so much.

I've belonged to several standard, regular, everyday gyms, in several different cities, and I can't say as I've ever had anyone make me feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable about being there. I've also never had anyone run up to me gushing about how amazing and brave I am for daring to be there. There's friendly chitchat on the way in the door and the occasional wave to people I see often, but beyond that, we're all too busy paying attention to our own workouts to take much notice of or judge anyone else.

Of course, I've never had someone run up to me in a store telling me they don't carry anything in my size, or heard any snide comments behind my back. I never had any more difficulty than the average girl finding a date or any of those other things larger people seem to complain about a lot. I have to wonder how much of it is my attitude. I face life like others have no reason to judge me on anything superficial, so I don't think it occurs to most people to treat me any differently than anyone else.

I can't be the only fat person out there who DOESN'T feel like the world is out to get them...can I?