ARE YOU TREATED DIFFERENTLY AFTER YOUR WEIGHT LOSS?

Options
124»

Replies

• Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Looking at the other way....I see a lot of people who lose weight, and become cocky/arrogant/conceded.

I know it feels good to be more confident, but don't turn into a cocky prick/*****. Be humble and grateful for what you accomplished. You will look like a much better human being.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i don't feel i'm treated any differently by people in public places. i mean, aside from occasionally hearing rude comments made about my weight from people, i feel like i was always treated with respect. i do notice, however, that i get more double looks from men than i used to. i don't feel i'm treated differently by family members either. they loved me when i was heavier and they love me now. my mom is still a giant "B"... LOL she's still rude as *kitten* and tells me i look fat sometimes. um, maybe my husband treats me a little different than he used to. he's very "protective" and when i wear something that is a little more revealing (mind you, i'm a mother, not a prostitute so it's not like i go out letting it all hang out... LOL i am just more comfortable in tanks and shorts than i used to be) he will be sure to take me by my hand or wrap his arms around me. he has always been really affectionate even out in public when i was at my heaviest, but i notice it more now.

i don't feel like it treat anyone differently than i used to. i even asked my neighbor and friend if she thinks i've changed at all since i've lost a significant amount of weight and she is very blunt and outspoken.. LOL she told me no. that i'm the same person i always have been.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I am seeing all these amazing transformations and just curious if anyone feels like people have treated them differently after their loss? Maybe people that may have been rude before or family and now that you are thinner they treat you better?

or if there are people that have lost the weight, if you are treating over weight people differently, now that you are thinner? Do you look or treat people differently after you have lost the weight?

I find that unfortunately I judge obese people. In all reality is has been really easy to lost weight once I put my mind to it and it can be for everyone. You can make all the excuses you want not to do it but if you make simple changes and put your mind to it the sky is the limit. I have PCOS and I'm insulin resistant which makes weightloss a real challenge...I used it as an excuse for years but not anymore. I know I cannot have sugar, carbs, wheat products or pretty much anything processed. I had to give up my beloved Diet Coke too but the results are so worth it. My body also needs 2.5 hours of exercise daily to lose. If I change even one step I don't lose for at least a week as it throws the whole balance out. Anyone can do it, there are no REAL excuses in my opinion!!!
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I went from 200 to 140 I was still in high school and that made a huge difference. Girls and guys talked to me more and actually invited me out once or twice. I mean I was always really quiet and shy but no one take the time out of there day for the ugly, fat, poor chick.

Everyone seemed nicer in general.

Looks control everything. The better you look the better you life is.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    No, I still get hit on regularly and I still treat people the same as before.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Big time.
    People are much more draw toward physical beauty. It's normal.
    There was a 20/20 segment with a nice looking model vs a fat lady - same age and dressed in the same outfit.
    They placed both actresses in mild distress with a spilled bag of groceries, and guess what?
    Fat lady was largely ignored while guys fell all over themselves to help the model.
    Same thing with a male version of the same scenario .
    It gets back to the pro-creative instinct.
    It's not mean or cruel. It's just nature.
    In my life I am treated totally different, and at first I just thought the world had gotten nicer.
    Nope.
    The world is as it always was and always will be.
    Fat people are sometimes rejected as potential mates as well as prospective employees but also just deprived common courtesy to some extent.
    Welcome to the human race.

This. While every one should be treated with common courtesy (read: don't be a rude *kitten*), people always have and always will treat attractive people better.
  • Beautycurvepose
    Beautycurvepose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No i have not notice much change in the way people treat me i guess because i never was treated like the "FAT" girl lol but with that being said i still av a ways to go! and I have notice my self confidence go up and my self image get better in my head though again i still have a ways to go !! Hooray for baby steps!
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    I get so many different responses. When I'm shopping or out at a restaurant I get lots of attention from the waiters/salesmen, but with guys I actually know and am friends with, sometimes it feels like they are nervous around me, or a little unsure. Don't know why, but oh well.

:ohwell:
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I really just wanted to bump this thread up to the top because I love reading about others' stories. I guess I'll tell mine :smile:

I lost about 20lbs over the summer between 6th and 7th grade. Definitely changed things; boys talked to me more, girls wanted to be my friend, and nasty rumors circulated saying I was a slut :laugh:

It's been 11 years since then. As of January I weighed the same as I did before I lost the weight that summer (I'm the same height as I was then so the only thing that is different is my age). Honestly, I have not noticed a difference in how I got treated when I weighed more as an adult opposed to when I was skinny as an adult like I did when I was a kid, but then again I wasn't "big" and didn't have bratty prepubescent’s around me. I was getting a little chubby, stomach stuck out, but that was it. Maybe if I had gotten bigger it would have been different, who knows?

But when I gained weight over the past two years, my dad actually called me out on it. Not in a rude or mean way, but he jokingly said I was "getting fat" as I danced in front of the TV while he was trying to watch his show. That's just the way my family is and I didn't take it the wrong way or let it upset me because that's his way of jokingly/seriously saying I was getting pudgy. I hope no one crucifies him now :laugh:
  • Deeauty
    Deeauty Posts: 1
    Options
    I love reading everyone's experiences on this. I think it's time I share my own. But my answer to this question is a resounding YES. As far as weight loss goes, I still have plenty of work to do. I've lost 63 lbs. in the last 8 months.

Let me just preface by saying I was always the fly, vivacious girl who was just "knew" she was cute. My friends would use me as an example to THEIR self-conscious friends: "Oh, look at Dee - If she's bigger than you and can feel good about herself, so can you."

I dress nice, keep my hair and nails done and always felt I was pretty. I've never had trouble with relationships; men really are attracted to confidence and I am abundant. I just know that there's an even BETTER person waiting to come out and I am unearthing her, pound by pound. I do feel like it holds me back as far as speaking my mind and physical movement, though. I just know the smaller I get, the BIGGER I'll become, so I have to put that confidence in my ability to get this done. (:

So, with that said, the changes I've noticed:

My family is really pretty supportive. I lost about 75 lbs in 2012. When I gained it all back +5 because of stress at my job (and other things), they wasted no time intervening and sitting down with me because they didn't want it to get out of control. Thanks to them, I found the strength to leave that place and focus on myself. Now I'm back down 63 pounds and, I'll tell ya, if you're tired of starting over you have to stop giving up. It's my mantra until I get back to where I was before I sabotaged myself.

Now I'm down 2 dress sizes and I'm fitting clothes I couldn't before and my mom is starting to roll her eyes at me, reminding me that she still wears a 3X when I show her something new that I bought. She still "surprises" me with red velvet cupcakes - or tries. She has struggled with her weight for years, but now I'm closing in on her so she has started working out as well. My sister is my ride-or-die, gung ho, right-wing cheerleader and she pushed me when I didn't want to push myself. When I lost my 60th pound she cried with me. She's 5'8, 150 lbs and has never wavered or shown anything but love & light in the face of my rapid changes.

My friends haven't said anything for the most part. They act like they don't know it's my working out why I can't answer their phone calls at 6 in the morning, or that I'm not deliberately avoiding unhealthy food they eat around me. Another interesting thing to note - 4 of my 5 friends are pregnant RIGHT NOW. So they can't do anything about their weight, but I'm pretty sure I will be a lot smaller than them by the time they have all given birth by August.

I do have one friend though who used to be bigger than I am in HS. She became bulimic and lost all of the weight (with some serious side-effects) and makes it a point to invite me to "pig out and catch up". She gets very offended when I politely decline the food/alcohol part. I don't really see her, though she had no problems eating out with me when I was working and completely off track. She doesn't mention my weight loss at all.

Strangers are already starting to look at me because, though I'm still big, my shape is very much defined and my waist is coming in faster than other parts of my body. So not only do they open doors, but when they say thank you, there's a "cutie", "baby", "sweetie" at the end. And then the looking up and down.

I get asked how I am, people wish me a good day, and I don't get the feeling that people kind of...busy themselves with their phones or move out of range of interaction with me before I get the chance to walk past them. I've gotten cab rides for less than what I would have been paying last July. When I post the occasional picture on Facebook - guys who I had crushes on but weren't feeling me are now hitting me up like, "When are we going to hang out? I haven't seen you in forever!"

So, it's sad, but the changes in how people interact with you after you've lost some weight is pretty drastic. I'm only approaching the halfway mark on my journey and it's already starting.

I just make the promise that I will not let anyone's superficiality dull my shine or take away from my accomplishments because they're obviously (but, arguably, subconsciously) biased nor will I become the person who counts anyone out because of how they look.

I also promise to be a little kinder to my friends and family; I understand that they haven't found the drive that I have towards being healthier. They don't know how to deal with the changes I'm making because takes away whatever excuses they may have been feeding themselves.

I want to be surrounded by the people who INVESTED their faith in me, anyone giving me common human decency wrapped in a bow like it's a perk for being in the attractive people's club are just a matter of consequence.

TL;DR: Some of my family members are supportive, some aren't. My sister rocks. My friends haven't mentioned it. Strangers are superficial and are already being nicer to me, and I'm only halfway done. But I'm only focused on the people who matter and care about me.
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I get smiles from random women on the street, and everyone generally enjoys my outgoing personality a lot more.

The best part though, all the girls that ever friend-zoned me over the past few years all want my attention now. I give them nothing.