Got a slow cooker! Throw your best ideas/recipes at me! :)

Options

Replies

• dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bumping this to find later :)
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slyast
    slyast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nangel4u
    Options
    BUMP!!! I plan on getting one this weekend ;-)
  • JodyPellissey
    Options
    bump
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Dump Sticky Chicken (freezer recipe that goes in the crock pot)
    INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons oil
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
    3 tablespoons ketchup
    4 boneless chicken breasts (8 thighs)

DIRECTIONS:

Combine all ingredients in ziplock freezer bag. Dump into crockpot in the morning; cover cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Rice in the rice cooker and green beans. The chicken is great the next day cold over salad!
  • inhistime513
    Options
    bump these sound wonderful.
  • Hoosiergal1964
    Hoosiergal1964 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump this for later when I am not in work and can write a shopping list mmmm
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just put "Santa Fe" chicken from skinny taste.com in the crock pot for tonight's dinner. It really helps the rest of the day go so much better when I have my healthy dinner planned before i leave for work.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I know you received lots and lots of recipes, but not sure if anyone told you this trick: Use the crock pot liners that you find in the plastic wrap section of your grocer. NO Scrubbing then needed!! If you can't find the ones specific to crock pots, the oven cooking bags work the same way / same material. Makes life even easier!!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Hi, I love cooking in my slow cooker! I cook a really good whole chicken!

1 Whole chicken
    thyme
    salt
    pepper
    1 can chicken broth
    1/2 onion
    1 carrot cut in 2 pieces
    1 celery cut in 2 pieces

remove any gizzards or whatever else is in the chicken cavity, rinse and pat chicken dry. Place onion, carrot, and celery in cavity and put chicken in crock pot. Pour broth on and around chicken and sprinkle about 1 tsp thyme, and how ever much salt and pepper you want. Cook for about 8-10 hours on low. Left overs make great chicken noodle soup. I usually drain the broth and use it for the soup also.

I am so going to try this - I never thought of putting a whole chicken in.
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Turkey meatloaf... prepare just like any meatloaf recipe...
    I mix the night before in ziplock bag... then in morning form it into a loaf shape in crock pot... turn on low ... and supper is done when I get home. Yum.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Can I ask you all - do you leave your slow-cookers on when you go to work? I love the idea of coming home to a lovely dinner, but I'm scared it might short-circuit and start a fire (I don't go out when the washing machine and tumble dryer are on either since a visiting fireman told me not to).

Means I only really use my slow-cooker if I'm in all day, which feels a bit like it's defeating the whole point.
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Can I ask you all - do you leave your slow-cookers on when you go to work? I love the idea of coming home to a lovely dinner, but I'm scared it might short-circuit and start a fire (I don't go out when the washing machine and tumble dryer are on either since a visiting fireman told me not to).

Means I only really use my slow-cooker if I'm in all day, which feels a bit like it's defeating the whole point.
    Oh absolutely I do, it's what makes it convenient. I've never worried about a fire, they are made to be on for long periods of time. I wouldn't worry about it, well unless you have a known issue with your wiring, then I can I see how you might be concerned.

That's what's so convenient and awesome about using the Crock Pot you can start something out when you go to bed (overnight steel oats) and have it all warm and read in the AM. Same with Prepping it the night before and then putting your dinner in when you leave in the AM.

Cheers:drinker:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    A Year Of Slow Cooking - website, you can sign up for emails, also they do have a "light and "healthy" section as well as thousands of other ideas on meals.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

This should keep you busy along with all the great tips and recipes shared above. :wink:
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

Oh absoluty I do, it's what makes it convenient. I've never worried about a fire, they are made to be on for long periods of time. I wouldn't worry about it, well unless you have a known issue with your wiring, then I can I see how you might be concerned.

That's what's so convenient and awesome about using the Crock Pot you can start something out when you go to bed (overnight steel oats) and have it all warm and read in the AM. Same with Prepping it the night before and then putting your dinner in when you leave in the AM.

Thanks! I think it's also partly because my slow-cooker was the cheapest one available - £8 or something from Asda - so I don't entirely trust it to be safe. Maybe I should invest in a good quality one if I'm going to use it a lot.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Oh absoluty I do, it's what makes it convenient. I've never worried about a fire, they are made to be on for long periods of time. I wouldn't worry about it, well unless you have a known issue with your wiring, then I can I see how you might be concerned.

Thanks! I think it's also partly because my slow-cooker was the cheapest one available - £8 or something from Asda - so I don't entirely trust it to be safe. Maybe I should invest in a good quality one if I'm going to use it a lot.

Mine is programmable so it's got a warm setting it switches over to when the timer goes off. Highly recommend that type if you're not going to be home with in 6-8 hours. Mine is a newer one with in the last several years so they heat differently, when a recipe says 8 hrs on low, I check it at 4-5 hours and it's usually done. That's why I love the warm feature as it stops cooking when it switches over but keeps the cooked food warm and safe to eat later.