Got a slow cooker! Throw your best ideas/recipes at me! :)

Options

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    crock pot?? wow you can do just about anything with one.. i put boneless skinless chicken in it and bbq sauce with a little water mixed in ..turns out very tender and no worries about anything sticking ...sometimes just a bit of water with seasoning like freeze dried onion ,italian seasoning and pepper ..you can slice them up for sandwiches or cut some of it up and throw over brown rice.. with the juice you can make some soup ... any meat with any veggies is also good
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Test this in your crock pot. I actually find about 4 hours on low is enough in mine.

Slow Cooker, Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal
    Servings: 5 1-cup servings
    Ingredients
    • 1 or 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
    • 1-1/2 cups water
    • 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar or Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 2 teaspoons ground flax seed
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk Directions
    Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Here's another version of the crock pot oatmeal

Slow Cooker, Cherry Almond Steel-Cut Oatmeal
    By Monica 5 1-cup servings
    Make this the night before and wake up to the wonderful aroma of this nutritious, delicious, ready-to-eat breakfast. The almond milk makes this a lactose-free, vegan recipe. It's a healthy power house that will help you beat the hungries all morning.

Ingredients
    • 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
    • 1 apple, peeled and grated (approx. 1 cup grated); or 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    • 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    • 1-1/2 cups water
    • 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (omit or substitute margarine for lactose-free, vegan)
    • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    • 2 teaspoons ground flax seed
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • Optional garnishes: toasted sliced almonds, maple syrup, additional almond milk or butter

Directions
    Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup almond milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a wonderful 3 bean turkey chili recipe. Love my crockpot!
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I bought the fix it and forget it diabetic cookbook. Tons of awesome food in there!

Greek Chicken
    Makes 6 servings
    278 calories

4 potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
    2lbs. chicken pieces, trimmed of skin and fat
    2 large onoins, quartered (I used 1)
    1 whold bulb garlic, minced
    3tsp. dried oregano
    3/4tsp. salt (I did not add salt)
    1/2tsp. pepper
    1TLB. olive oil

1. Place potatoes in bottom of slow cooker. Add chicken, onions, and garlic. Sprinkle with seasonings. Top with oil.

2. Cover. Cook on high 5-6 hours or on Low 9-10 hours
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That oatmeal recipe sounds great!
  • melyhegedu
    melyhegedu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make this today! Thanks!
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    Hi, I love cooking in my slow cooker! I cook a really good whole chicken!

1 Whole chicken
    thyme
    salt
    pepper
    1 can chicken broth
    1/2 onion
    1 carrot cut in 2 pieces
    1 celery cut in 2 pieces

remove any gizzards or whatever else is in the chicken cavity, rinse and pat chicken dry. Place onion, carrot, and celery in cavity and put chicken in crock pot. Pour broth on and around chicken and sprinkle about 1 tsp thyme, and how ever much salt and pepper you want. Cook for about 8-10 hours on low. Left overs make great chicken noodle soup. I usually drain the broth and use it for the soup also.
  • BrendaHyde
    BrendaHyde Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • BrendaHyde
    BrendaHyde Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • citygirl4ever
    citygirl4ever Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump...for later
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Some of our favorites are salsa meat. Love using vinison or pork with a big jar of your favorite salsa. About an hour before I serve it I add some rice to it and the rice sucks up some of the liquid from cooking. Also love pork carnitas.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Google Weight Watchers Taco Bean Soup. We cook it in a crockpot on high for 6 hrs. We love it!!!! You can also serve over lettuce, add reduce fat shredded cheese, low fat sour crm., and crushed corn chips. It's yummy!!!!! Skinny taste has a ton of great ideas too.
  • Kamireyne
    Kamireyne Posts: 4
    Options
    bump, thanks!!
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    skinless/boneless chicken
    kidney beans or black-eye - your choice
    jar of salsa
    fajita or taco seasoning

Put it all in the slow cooker leave on high 4hrs or low 7-8hrs. Then put in light philadelphia leave to melt for about 10-15mins then mix around and shred chicken a bit. Great in wraps, lettuce wraps, over rice, with salad - up to you!
  • thebanditgirl
    Options
    bump
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    In my crock pot today is 2.5 lbs chicken tenders, one can of pineapple chunks in juice, and about 1/4 cup of bbq sauce.
    Will have this for dinner tonight- either in wraps or over rice, depending on which one I want :)
  • DaGsGirl
    DaGsGirl Posts: 194
    Options
    Chicken Pot Pie......

You get a bag of mixed veggies and throw it in, put in some cooked chicken, pour in a little low fat milk, along with low fat cream of chicken (or your fave low fat cream soup), and mix up some low cal Bisquick and pour over tht top and let it cook.... salt and pepper to taste and its REALLY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Zesty Slow Cooker Chicken Barbecue ---Low Calorie

Ready In: 4 Hrs 10 Min
    Servings: 6 servings

Ingredients
    6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
    1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions
    Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a bowl, mix the barbecue sauce, Italian salad dressing, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the chicken.
    Cover, and cook 3 to 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 300 | Total Fat: 8.1g | Cholesterol: 61mg
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My favourite thing to do is a really easy beef-chickpea curry. When I get home, I throw it in a pan to reduce the sauce, and then serve it on whole grain pita/naan with a cilantro-garlic yogourt drizzle. It's SO delicious and takes no time at all.

3173025926_9097fe547f.jpg

Recipe here: http://definitelynotmartha.blogspot.ca/2009/01/easiest-best-thing-you-will-ever-make.html

My second favourite thing to do is a whole chicken. Just put the chicken in on low (no water needed), and about 4-6 hours later, you'll be able to take it off the bone and use it in other recipes.

Third favourite - lazy, lean pulled pork. Just cook lean pork (chops, tenderloin, roast) on low for the whole day (no water needed). At the end of the day, shred pork with a fork and add in your favourite bbq sauce. Serve on toasted whole-grain buns with coleslaw. Yummy, easy, and as long as you use a lean cut of pork, it's not too bad for you either.