Am I Crazy for Crying Myself to Sleep Over This?

Options
124»

Replies

• candlelady
    candlelady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    elle18287 , the person who put up that photo desnt sound like a good friend. some people are jealous of others especially when they feel threatened.
    enjoy your new body and feel great at how far you have come
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Photos can be very deceiving. A 4-dimensional person digitally reworked to 2D, it squishes and flattens everything, it removes curves and adds bumps. It catches you out in the stupidest of poses. The camera is the woman's worst enemy. Don't sweat it.
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    A weird thing happens to me where if I look at myself in the mirror, I feel like I look okay, but if a take a picture of me looking into a mirror at that exact same moment, all of a sudden picture-me is hideous and fat and obese and weigh 200lbs again and has no chin. It's a mental thing that won't be overcome by beating myself up or remembering myself at my biggest, I'll have to overcome it by getting used to seeing bad photos at any weight, and being aware that good photos (or okayish photos) are out there too. One day the good photos will out number the bad ones, I firmly believe that.

I also like to imagine that everyone sees ugly photograph-me all the time, so they're used to it, and thus are not offended by my hideousness in the same way that I am.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Pictures happen! We are the MOST critical of ourselves! It's the camera angle, being closer to the camera than someone else in the picture, the lighting, that split second in time. I agree, take the tag off, ask your friend to remove the picture and KNOW you are doing the work! I've saved my pictures of me at 205 pounds and show them to people periodically. It is proof to me that I am doing the work. I never want to be that person again. However after my 70 pound loss, I do have some loose skin. Well, so what? More proof that I did do the work, I guess. It's my arms. Yes it bothers me, but I am what I am. My body bears the battle scars of being fat. The other choice is gaining back the 70 pounds or getting surgery. I don't wear shorts or a swimsuit in public and I am now 55 so I just accept it as best as I can and move forward knowing that I've done the best that I can do for my body TODAY with what I have to work with TODAY.

Your bad picture is a split second in time. Focus on the "oh you look great!" comments you get now and will continue to get in the future, because you do look great! Everyone has a bad picture. We just did a car event and we make our own local TV show. My husband said he would interview me. Fine. Of course it was outside. I thought I should put on extra make up so I wouldn't look washed out. WRONG! The wind was blowing so hard, my hairspray didnt' hold, my hair was either straight up or straight back and my make up looked like Cruella Deville! I was horrified. Many people bought this DVD and will see it. I'd love to do a retake but that isn't possible. My husband says he loves me and I was fine. He doesn't want me to say one more thing about how I look. We just move forward and you will too!
  • FooFatFighters
    FooFatFighters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Again, some advice as a photographer. With wide-angle lenses, if you're on the edge of a photo you will be stretched horizontally. When someone wants a group photo with a wide-angle try to stay near the center, you'll look skinnier.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - I hate a lot of the photos that get posted of me on FB. Also, last year was my Mum's 50th birthday and my Dad made a photo board for her, which included a picture of me from 6 or 7 years ago at my highest weight. I told him I hated pictures of me from that era but he left it on there and told me I was being selfish :ohwell: To make things even worse, my boyfriend's parents came to the party and would have seen it :embarassed:
    I think a lot of us on here have wicked bad self-perception problems though, and tend to think we look a lot worse than we really do.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, there were times in the past I would look at pictures of myself and get really upset, although more at my face than my body, so I do not really do photos of myself anymore, as I realised, I do not like my face at all and I would end up obsessing about it. I do not even like looking in the mirror at my face, lol. I would just forget the bad picture, you are not a picture, you are a person, and a person with an inside as well as an outside. Along with that, you are not at goal yet, and cannot expect to look in a photo as you will at your goal weight, before attaining that goal weight, if that makes sense. Accept you have come a long way and done really well, and have gotten smaller, but also accept that you have a way to go yet also.
  • Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has already said this, if so I apologize.

I'd post right under the picture in the comment section ... "OMG ... this is a horrible picture" and then attach a picture of yourself that you like. That way, everyone who was tagged or commented to the picture can see a better picture of you from that night, and at least you know they saw you for who you are ... and not some horrid picture that this 'friend' posted.

Personally, I think she may just be a bit jealous, and sometimes people do rotten things without even thinking about it. Or it simply could be she just wasn't thinking about it at all. Honestly, sometimes I just throw up pictures on FB b/c I'm too lazy to go through them all ... but I don't tag anyone. If they want, they tag themselves.

Try not to worry to much over it ... what's done is done. And truthfully, you know its a bad picture. So do your friends. I think you've had your allowance time to pout and be upset. Now it's time to keep working hard at your goals!! Don't let this rock in the road be the one to stop you ... you've already climbed a small mountain - this should just be a pebble.

(((BIG HUGS)))