Proof Lifting heavy doesn't bulk up females - PICS

Options
So I've been lifting as heavy as I can, short reps (started 12, now down to 8 with increased weight).

Oh, and I lowered my carbs and upped fat and protein - best change I've ever done.

It's been hard work but I LOVE lifting now.

Still got a long way to go, but here are the results in the last month:

Moderator's Note

Unfortunately, it was necessary to remove one or more photos from this post in order to comply with the posting guidelines. We applaud the poster's success, and encourage her to reply to this thread with an alternate image. Photo guidelines can be reviewed here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Replies

• lisaslim1976
    lisaslim1976 Posts: 145
    Options
    Please dont take this the wrong way, but i think you looked better before, more womanly. However i applaud your hard work :-)
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You have such a teeny frame!
    Great work though, keep it up and you have the means to look like a fitness model!
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    Please dont take this the wrong way, but i think you looked better before, more womanly. However i applaud your hard work :-)

I agree
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I respectfully disagree, you look great both ways. There is no right or wrong way to look like a woman. I would like to know, what you calorie intake was like though. Did you eat at or below maintenance. Just curious, because I've been lifting and it was recommended to me to eat at maintenance. Great job!
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I agree

Oops I feel bad now, but guess people are like me & prefer honesty. The "black" photos, you look curvy, womanly & may I say downright sexy. In the "whites" you look too thin, jmo.

It isn't what is aesthetically pleasing to others though, so great job on the life changes & going after your goals. Well Done :)

Russ
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I respectfully disagree, you look great both ways. There is no right or wrong way to look like a woman. I would like to know, what you calorie intake was like though. Did you eat at or below maintenance. Just curious, because I've been lifting and it was recommended to me to eat at maintenance. Great job!

Normally below maintenance. between 1500-1900. But not a massive deflict. Now that I've cut down on carbs and upped protein and fat I just eat if I'm hungry, I don't look at calories anymore. But I'm not as hungry as I use to be on my "low fat" diet.
    In 2 weeks I'm going to cut right down on carbs and hopefully that will remove more fat and show some muscle.
    I think you need to eat properly to grow and develop muscle, then cut down and remove the fat. you can't do both.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I agree

Oops I feel bad now, but guess people are like me & prefer honesty. The "black" photos, you look curvy, womanly & may I say downright sexy. In the "whites" you look too thin, jmo.

It isn't what is aesthetically pleasing to others though, so great job on the life changes & going after your goals. Well Done :)

Russ

Most people do seem to think that females don't suit muscle.
  • Christi_Kitty
    Options
    I feel like you looked great in the black photos, very lean, and muscular, but you're defiantly a woman... This is for you to be proud of something you've worked for, don't listen to anyone who says "you looked better before". I think you look awesome now, and if someone has a rude comment, they can keep it to themselves. This is not a bashing board! But either way, you look sexy, and confident, and I love it!!!!
  • shell3986
    shell3986 Posts: 98
    Options

Normally below maintenance. between 1500-1900. But not a massive deflict. Now that I've cut down on carbs and upped protein and fat I just eat if I'm hungry, I don't look at calories anymore. But I'm not as hungry as I use to be on my "low fat" diet.
    In 2 weeks I'm going to cut right down on carbs and hopefully that will remove more fat and show some muscle.
    I think you need to eat properly to grow and develop muscle, then cut down and remove the fat. you can't do both.

Well, to build muscle, you're supposed to eat at a surplus. I actually think you look like you have lost muscle. Have to agree with the above and say you looked better before.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Agreed. I think now you look too thin and ALMOST sickly. Before, you were nearly perfect, in my honest opinion.
    However, I also applaud your hard work, and at the end of the day it comes down to how YOU see yourself and how YOU feel about yourself. So long as you're happy and healthy, nothing else matters. :)

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on achieving what you were looking for. I remember you were a bit upset about your progress some time ago but I hope you've found happiness now. I won't say any negative things to you since you're a very kind hearted person and I know that you definitely worked very hard for this so Congrats :)

-Riz
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You look great! Both ways! Don't let anyone get you down by saying "You looked better before." So many girls would kill to look like this. If you are happy with the way you look that is all that matters!
  • Electrikat
    Options
    I see a big difference in your legs/thighs! What kind of leg work did you do? I cannot get rid of my fat upper thighs for the life of me...or I get super bulky quads :[
    Thanks!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Ditto! You're new pics show that your liftng has worked. You have wonderful muscle tone!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Good job! You look beautiful.

I've just decided to start lifting heavy, too, and it's nice to have threads like this to share with my friends who think I'm going to "get bulky". :happy:
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Holy crap, you look awesome in both the befores and afters...it is evident that you're working hard and it's paid off. Hell, I would kill just to look like your "before" picture :wink:
  • Redbarron80
    Options
    Me too....almost looks anorexic
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You look good, can see your muscle tone in your arm. Good job :)
  • Scandinavia
    Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm skrry that a lot of people can't appreciate the hard work that you've put into this. It's an amazing change, and I would love to look like you. You look amazing in both, but I absolutely love your afters. Just ignore those who are being rude.
  • deb630
    deb630 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I Thought you looked stunning in your before pics, your after ones, i think you look very thin
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!