Why did you gain weight?

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    work at home job + not a lot of money + depression from not being able to find a job out in the real world that i really want to do + more depression that i had to move back with my mom + sitting at my pc all the time gaming & stuffing my face with fast food and take out almost every day + no exercise = gained weight.

i went from 140 to 198 lbs. i never bothered to weigh myself because i didnt care.
  • PandaDreamerGurl
    Options
    I moved to be with my boyfriend (now husband). Transferred jobs (with same company) but the new place wasn't as, for lack of a better word, nice as my previous employers. So, I asked my boyfriend if we could afford for me to quit because I couldn't take it anymore. And so, I went from a high active job to being a housewife. No friends nearby and so I pretty much just stayed at the house all day reading, watching television, playing online or just sleeping. I didn't really eat "a lot" but what I did eat was very unhealthy and chalk full of calories and fat of the awful kind.

Thus, the pounds started to add up.
  • PixiePickle
    PixiePickle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie, I just moved to the same street as a Dominos!! Plus there are a ridiculous amount of take away places within a stone's throw of where I live. added to the fact that I indulged in a glass or two of wine in the evenings :blushing:
    So, I was cheap & weak! LOL! But now I've realized that I'm not in my twenties anymore, I'm trying to make wiser choices and get in shape.
    :happy:
  • Vgrindle
    Vgrindle Posts: 23
    Options
    My reason for weight gain was laziness, being addicted to fast food/junk food, being depressed because my husband was on deployment, having a baby, having a less than happy marriage and low self esteem. I've been overweight since high school but with time things just got worse. Working on that now to become a healthier, happier person and get my life back on track :smile:
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sitting on my butt. I spent the better part of a year on a pity pot after an orthopedic injury, trying to let it heal on its own wearing a boot, then surgery and protracted recovery... I ate whatever I felt like and didn't exercise any of it off, even for a while after I was really able to!
  • stephdg89
    stephdg89 Posts: 37
    Options
    I had a baby and gained 60 lbs with my pregnancy, but lost it all quite easily in about 8 months. I was on a prescription medicine though that caused me to lose weight. I could eat anything and everything I wanted and still be tiny. Then in February I decided to go off the medicine. I was so used to eating about triple the amount of calories i needed with no consequences, so I didn't change my eating habits and over the last 5 months gained almost 20 lbs. It really hit me when my "fat" pants I wore when my daughter was only 7 months old didn't fit anymore! HELLO!! Total wake up call. I started working out hard but started actually eating more. I heard about MFP two weeks ago and started logging my food and realized I was way over eating. I've lost 5 lbs this month, two of them in the last two weeks since using MFP. I would like to lose between 7-12 more lbs and be back in a size 2. Or at least a loose 4. :)
  • purpleacacia18
    purpleacacia18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I went through a season of loneliness, depression, and low self-esteem. Food was my comfort and friend when I felt lonely. Thing was, sitting around doing no exercise and eating at the house just caused me to gain weight and did nothing for my self-esteem.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Developed a love for cooking and baking! I was making really rich, saucy, cheesy dinners and tons of desserts and not giving nearly enough of them away. Now I use (and create my own) healthy recipes and no baking! I know if I bake something "healthy" I will eat enough of it so that it stops being "healthy"!
  • SarahElizabeth416
    SarahElizabeth416 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much been overweight since I was 7 or 8 years old. I honestly believe I have a food addiction and along with that I am the worst emotional eater. A lot of things factor into why I am fat but I think my emotional eating as well as stubbornness to accept the fact I needed to change are the root problems to my weight.
  • Rey01009
    Rey01009 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyrodism about 5 months after I had my first baby. Gained 20 lbs in 2 months after i lost all the baby weight plus 10 lbs. Sad. So I am trying to get the weight off, but it is really difficult with taking meds for the issue. Thyroid operates your metabolism...not good to have a slow metab, need to speed it up.
  • onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was a really fit kid... climbing everything, running around etc.

Then my dad got my my first computer ;) Old 8086 box... then I started sitting infront of a screen.. Throughout my entire academic life, I have been ruled by my computer. I would wake up, use my computer, goto school (sitting all day in class), come home, sit infront of my computer, eat, sleep, rinse and repeat.

I don't eat terribly bad... but the inactivity of my lifestyle just ruined me. When I was 16/17 I was required to take a physical fitness course for high school and took it online for credit. I did realize then that I had a problem, since a mile took me around 2 standard deviations above the mean to finish at such a young age.

Now I am an engineer working on my PhD, and I still just sit infront of a screen. I just have modified my diet to fit my lifestyle and now exercise for atleast 1 hour 5/6 days a week.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Was severely injured a few years ago. Surgery, pain meds, steroids, immobility. Add to that lazy compulsive eater and there I was, some 60 lbs overweight. Lost is all through stress starvation, gained back half of it. Now losing the right way and finding its not as hard as I whined about it being :laugh:
  • Nikki_Nx
    Nikki_Nx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Depression, low self-esteem and lack of support from family. A number of bereavements as well.
  • iluvmycats
    iluvmycats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are so many reasons.. lets see if I can list a few

depression
    self loathing
    hypothyroidism
    laziness
    A love of eating and not moving
    loneliness

the first two were the primary reasons i would overeat and spend my fridays gorging myself with pizzas and chips and candy..i never cared enough about myself to ever think i deserved better or that i should treat my body with care. It was like i was punishing myself with food until i could see i was out of control.

And now its a battle i still fight but this time im at least doing something about it. Its a mental struggle everyday!
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I had to take steroids for a health condition for 3 years straight. Made me gain 70 pounds.
  • ahelgers10
    ahelgers10 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I had kids. I got pregnant with my oldest son while in high school. I finished my senior year on the varsity dance team working out 5 days a week for 3 hours with frequent performances and competitions in the evenings and weekends to being pregnant and doing nothing. I never got the motivation after he was born to get the 60 pounds I gained off.
  • pancake100
    pancake100 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Too over active not feeding my body enough, got very low body fat, now trying to gain weight and body fat on purpose, by eating alot of healthy food :)
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    laziness, but I've been back on track for quite a few years now!
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I had an eating disorder for over 10 years- totally messed up my metabolism. When I got pregnant- I cut it out immediately and ate normally with some craving splurges- which equaled some pretty incredible weight gains and a long road to repair and healing.

I've got it now the healthy way. :)