Why did you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I was one of the folks who felt as long as I was working out, I thought could eat what I wanted to eat. The weight just all creeped up on me over time. I've always been a large person, but I figured since I have always been active, that was just the way it was.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I was molested by two different family members at the age of 10 which is when I started putting on the weight. My sisters were always very verbally and physically abusvie towards me as well, being the middle child. I think I used the weight to try to escape from a world that had hurt and betrayed me on so many levels. I thought that the weight would protect me from further sexual abuse and pain, but it caused more pain of another sort. Now that I am losing the weight and finally having to deal with all the emotions and hurt caused by the abuse, I feel stronger than I have in a long time.

This is horrible. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. A loved one was sexually, physically and verbally abused from an early age too and she used to do crazy things to her hair (cutting out huge chunks of it and such). She says that, subconsciously, she thinks she was trying to make herself less sexually attractive. It's horrendous because it totally wasn't her fault and I get angry just thinking that she ever had to think that way.
  • carrie3479
    carrie3479 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was never a thin person, at the age of 12/13 I was in uk 16 - 18 clothes( looked even bigger as I was and still am only just 5ft!), I was bullied for the weight as a kid, but "friends" and family have always made snide comments (and still do) . I slimmed down when I hit 16 to around a uk 10-12, had my daughter and was around a uk 14, had depression following her birth had my son 3 years later and it crept on from there, was around a 14 - 16 (uk) until I was 21, then had a bad dose of depression and shrank down to a size 8, couldn't eat, on loads of meds... then I met my husband that I am married to now and became "comfortable and content" went up to uk size 10 -12 and stayed there for a while then had a big op that meant the surgeon having to blow my stomach up with gas - making me look 9 months pregnant!!, never regained a non wobbly belly after that, several ops and depression later I have been a size 14 verging on 16 but not quite! ever since. Being short with a more than ample bust it does seem to show on me a lot more. The kicker was when I was admitted into hospital with chest problems and I weighed in at 11 stone 11lb!! I nearly fell off my chair! I also have PCOS and endo which does not help with weight loss, it makes it that bit harder. I am also "lucky" to have inherited the huge hips and bum which seems to follow the women of my family around no matter how much weight they loose!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well lets see...
    Initially, I grew tired of people calling me slim and trying to muscle me ( I was 6ft and weighed about 180lbs)
    So I packed on about 20lbs of muscle over a few years and thought I would stop when I reached 220lbs (my wife had some issues with everything I did. I wasn't allowed to join the gym so I invested in my own equipment)
    I discovered "value meals" and "comfort foods" that I never ate before
    I stopped working out
    I was separated from my wife, having a good time being me again
    Eating out because I was so busy
    Not active at all
    Started going to college full-time and working nights full-time
    Really starting eating cheap convenience food
    Thought that I was carrying it well and thought I could disguise it with bigger clothes
    Bigger clothes gave me more room to "grow" not realizing that I didn't need to grow anymore and my it wasn't a good look
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Definitely less active, and uncontrolled hypoglycemia didn't help.
  • t2booth
    t2booth Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello all,

I started college about 3 years ago. Before that, I never watched what I ate, only what was cheap. I also started seeing my boyfriend of 3 years. He eats huge portions and all kinds of greasy foods. So, I have gained 40 pounds since I started college. My wardrobe is getting pretty small.
    Its hard for me to be consistent with any type of exercise or watching what I eat. None of my friends are being conscientious and I get discouraged all the time.
  • sfgonzales
    sfgonzales Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was in my early 20s and never really had to work out before. I fell in love and was enjoying life... and eating whatever I wanted to!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    A few reasons I"m an emotional eater I eat my stress and well I"m stressed pretty much all the time...I LOVE food especially sweets and I love to bake. I dislike exercise and veggies...and the weight gain really started when I was on the depo shot and antidepressants .... I just never got the weight off after stopping the shot and eventually the other mediciation and it just kept adding on over the years
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Depression. Emotional food issues. 3 pregnancies. More depression. I tend to put everyone else first, then I'm even more miserable because my needs are never met. As long as I'm eating healthy, exercising, and getting decent sleep most days, I feel good about myself and the world around me!
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy with pre-eclampsia on top of already being chubby due to bad divorce and always being to fat kid
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Previous medication :/
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    Options
    Mine was first, I got married and my lifestyle changed as I tried to fit in with his. And the second, was having a baby.
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well, in August 2010 I was in the army and being moved to a new position within. At that time I was 140lbs, in great shape, and wasn't far from my goal weight. Well, fast forward to almost a year ago and I had gained more than 30lbs, most of it in a short amount of time. In April 2011, I gained 20lbs due to the shot. Then, as my job was very depressing and had no life at this new job (since it was a deploying unit) I left my job at 172lbs. A few weeks after I left, I met my current BF that I am with 1 year today. I WANTED to lose the weight, but I wasn't doing all the things I would do to lose weight. So, it steadily crept up on me while I dated my boyfriend, and then moved in, the holidays, etc. By mid-January, I was staring at 197lbs on the scale. Yikes! I didn't really find my motivation until the end of May as I got sick of procrastinating. The person I was a long time ago would have made up my mind, and had the weight off by now. I just got used to being lazy. Now, I am working out again and only 6 more pounds until I have lost 20lbs since my highest this year. My first goal is 140lbs, and then I will slowly work my way down to the rest.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am a social and emotional eater. I love going out to eat with my girls. I eat when I'm happy or sad. I think I just didn't pay attention. I love to cook and eat. I don't think I necessary over eat but I eat a lot of fried foods smothered in gravy. Damn southern roots! I also never exercised. I always wanted to be one of those early morning runners who run regardless of weather so Monday I'm starting the C25K so I can hopefully become that person:smile:
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My parents took me out of public school when i was about 8 and it started then. I went to a small christian school where I had no friends that lived close and no sports to participate in. I would go to school and come home and sit infront of the tv and computer and just eat and eat and eat. I have been fighting my weight since about age 11 and its been a overall losing battle. But I am determined to do it this time. This time is different! This time it is for me, not to make someone like me or to make someone else happy!
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was always a big girl, but when World of Warcraft was released...I started playing video games 8-12 hours per day, and not taking the time to cook...ate lots of fast food, never exercised, and this went on for several years... I was in college at the time too, so not only did my health suffer, so did my grades!

Then the past couple of years, I stopped playing so much (maybe an hour a day at most) but I was still in that fast food habit and still never wanted to exercise.

Glad to report that things have really started changing for me this year! I usually only play video games now if I have worked out that day, otherwise I feel really guilty and can't enjoy myself.
  • danadeere
    danadeere Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Mine was wheni i was in middle school i was put on a medication and a major side effect of it was exccessive eating. I did not realize i was doing it and my family never did anything to help fix the problem so now here i am 24 years old trying to fix it.
  • bakz4
    bakz4 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me the list is endless:
    Picked on as a kid (bullied, I guess)
    Screwed around in college when I should have been studying/learning and ended up dropping out
    Had two kids and thought that overeating was acceptable
    Husband left me and the kids when they were young (5 and 9 years old)
    Found a great guy who is too-freaking thin and thought I could eat like him
    Love to cook for my guy and eat with him
    Thought exercising was a cruise through the mall
    Hate exercise
    Depression after 5 surgeries in 15 months (4 were due to a punctured bladder during the first surgry)
    Depression from being in debt
    Drinking too much wine

Thankfully I have found a new way of seeing things and am happy with my lifestyle change! Things are finally looking great and going in a pleasing way!
  • QuirkyPanda
    QuirkyPanda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was studying for the GRE over the holiday season -- BAD combination!

:laugh: I love holiday food! Stress or no stress... Just be careful when you plan to do your thesis or dissertation!!

Haha, thanks! I will keep that in mind! :)
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    when I was little i was a "growing girl"... growing the wrong way! Lost weight in high school (30 pounds!) and kept it off til junior year of college when i dated a guy who wanted to eat out every day. I gained 20 pounds by my 2nd year of grad school. Maintained until I was 24.. at 25 I worked out all year for my wedding -- didnt lose a pound but i toned quite nicely. then I had a kid... gained an additional 10 pounds during pregnancy... afterwards i lost the 10 plus another 20.

Came back to work after maternity leave to my desk job where I promptly packed on 35 pounds -- i wasnt exercising at all and ate the same way I did when I was pregnant. then I maintained for about a year...

second pregnancy packed on 9 pounds (at 184 lbs now) and I thought I would lose that and another 20 when I gave birth. Nope. Didnt lose anything. Came back to work and gained 2 pounds (now 186).

Maintained for 3 years. Tried working out and doing pilates etc... nothing took weight off. I wasnt paying attention to my food though either and I ended up having back problems, foot problems , etc. but the doctors said my weight was 'fine' . Im 5'5. 186 pounds is NOT fine. Either way, my injuries kept me out of the gym.

Third pregnancy. I gained 6 pounds. After birth I lost the 6 pounds. Went to see a trainer and they recommended this site... I started at 186 pounds. I am at 175.5.

I guess my main and most recent reasons are because of my pregnancies and I just didnt pay attention to what i was eating (I thought that going to the gym was enough.. its not)... although as a child my family always commented (and still do even though im now smaller than all of them) on me being short and pudgy. i struggle daily with my 'love' of food --- i love to cook, and i love different flavors -- I am attacking this portion by trying to find and cook things that are tasty and good for you...