is it possible to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Options
124»

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Also, resistance training is very beneficial for other reasons, including bone density - which is particularly important with women as we are more prone to osteopreosis.

My bones are already very dense. I fall down all the time and have never broken a bone. I drank a lot of milk as a kid and I still do now. :P

At 22, I would hope they are :tongue: - but the problems often arise when you get older.

Oh, and mine is excellent too (and I am exactl;y twice your age) - all the milk I also drink plus resistance training plus genetics (not sure how much of each of them helps percentage wise - but they all do their job) :drinker:

Yeah, I hope I can get an office job by the time that happens though. I didn't go to college to work in warehouses all my life. >.<

Sorry, but I do not quite understand your post. (Not being funny/b*tchy here - just trying to understand what you are saying.)

(Took off some of the quotes as it is getting long)

I kinda meant that if I have issues moving because of bone health issues, I'd hope I wouldn't still be working manual labor as I wouldn't be able to keep up. I guess it does kind of look out of place. Sorry. >.<

OK - I understand. However, wouldn't it be better to make sure you never had those issues in the first place?

That being said, you are in a manual job which does mean that you will be using your muscles so it is probably not as important than it would be to someone who is in a desk job in the first place who never gets to 'flex those mooscles' often outside of a gym.

Lol, I guess.

Trust me, I wish I had a desk job. I dislike being covered in dirt and bruises. If it was aiding my weight loss, it wouldn't be as bad but it doesn't seem to be helping.
  • Erisad
    Options
    Not saying it's wrong necessarily (although if you have stopped losing weight then SOMETHING is wrong)....im just saying it's better to work out these things for yourself and in the process gain a little more knowledge into calorie and macro requirements. For me personally the protein requirements given by MFP are a little low, especially for those on a calorie deficit.

Give the links i gave you a try, and see what happens.

Um...I'm very confused. I'm a stupid blonde who sucks with numbers, in addition to pretty much everything I try. Um it says my TDEE (not sure what that is) is 2244 calories. MFP has me eating 1700 a day right now since I'm on my feet for my job. So is that right? Should I lower it back down to 1500 or lower? I don't know what to do. It says I should be eating 2600 on my workout days? That's way too much! I rarely exceed 2000 calories as it is. Ugh. >.<
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    All i know is lifting heavier weights for 10 months has helped me look leaner...i am very happy. I dont look bulky hulky or big.

people have been asking me what i am doing and commenting about how much SMALLER i look...it has helped me drop weight and i feel fantastic.

<---in this pic i weigh 186, and this pic below as well...i feel like the lifting allows me to look better at a heavier weight.
    19536421_1731.jpg
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, I do it. You have to monitor your macronutrients on a weekly basis and alternate weeks between high carbohydrates and protein with the exercise to match. Can be done but takes effort and dedication. I've got pictures, body fat, muscle mass weight and BMI readings since I started.

You need to balance both protein and carbohydrates against your lean muscle mass every week and.hit those requirements.

Not simple but it is easy if you're determined.

And I'm not selling anything either.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ABSURD - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Those considering this question need to make sure to research this topic outside this forum.
    The truth is out there, and statements like the above just confuse beginners.
    Beware Bro-Science...

Totally agree Bobby!
    Hey, I wish it were possible outside the wonderful world of steroids.
    It is not. That's just reality.
  • LaundryJo
    LaundryJo Posts: 47
    Options
    I've been doing Tae Bo ripped extreme which is cardio and weights. Seems to work for a beginner like me, I have lost weight and have nicely defined arms - not sure about new muscle though, I wouldn't know if it's my old muscles defined or a bit of new muscle!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

First, I applaud your accomplishments. You showed great dedication and it paid off. If you are saying you gained muscle and you mean neuromuscular adaptation, meaning your underdeveloped muscle tissue developed and got somewhat bigger, stonger and more defined, I would completely agree. If you mean you grew new muscle tissue and were eating in a deficit then, beyond newbie gains, I would respectfully disagree. The question you'd have to ask is where did the fuel or energy come from to grow new muscle tissue? Neuromuscular adaptation can be quite impressive and is nothing to put down. Quite the opposite. But growing new muscle tissue and developing existing muscle tissue are 2 diiferent things. Also, you can certainly develop exiting muscle and decrease body fat. Matter of fact, eating in a deficit and doing the workout regime you were doing, it would be hard not to! Great job!!

Isn't it the neuromuscular adaptation that most women seek, for the most part? I mean, I want to be healthy and look good and burn more at rest and be able to do more as I advance into old age, not need help getting off the toilet. Do I need to grow new muscle tissue, and as a woman, can I even do that to any significant degree?

Yes, honeslty, I believe that to be the case. We want good genetic expression of our muscle structure (might be a mouthful, but the term "tone" is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me!). We want to be lean and we want to be strong. No we don't need to grow new muscle tissue for that. We can get healthy, look good and brun more as well as gain strength without growing new muscle tissue.

Last night I was watching the US Olympic trails and I was struck by the awesome genetic expression of the atheletes. I was watching hurdles and 800 meter I think. These atheletes was so lean and ripped and strong and none of them were big. Maybe some had worked at growing muscle tissue in, say, thier quads if they were a sprinter. But in their arms, thier abs, all over, they were developed and lean. They just looked awesome! Most from simple neuromusular adaptations.

Some people just need to think that they've grown muscle to feel like they've accomplished something. Developing your existing muscle to it's full potential is an amazing accomplishment. And besides, how many threads have we seen here about women that do not want to get bulky!! And as a woman without the anaerobic benefit of testosterone, it is a struggle at best. Heck, it's a struggle for men!!

Thanks.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Not saying it's wrong necessarily (although if you have stopped losing weight then SOMETHING is wrong)....im just saying it's better to work out these things for yourself and in the process gain a little more knowledge into calorie and macro requirements. For me personally the protein requirements given by MFP are a little low, especially for those on a calorie deficit.

Um...I'm very confused. I'm a stupid blonde who sucks with numbers, in addition to pretty much everything I try. Um it says my TDEE (not sure what that is) is 2244 calories. MFP has me eating 1700 a day right now since I'm on my feet for my job. So is that right? Should I lower it back down to 1500 or lower? I don't know what to do. It says I should be eating 2600 on my workout days? That's way too much! I rarely exceed 2000 calories as it is. Ugh. >.<

you take your TDEE and take away 20%, this is you new calorie allowance, everyday.

so that would be 1795......so your current calories seem about right.

I would then look closer at your individual macros....are you getting the correct balance of fat/carb/protein each day?
  • Erisad
    Options

you take your TDEE and take away 20%, this is you new calorie allowance, everyday.

I would then look closer at your individual macros....are you getting the correct balance of fat/carb/protein each day?

MFP says I'm always over on Protein. I rarely go over fat and carbs.

Wait, I'm confused. I visited the website again, now it's saying my BMR is 1900-ish and my TDEE is 2600 I was giving you a number from the page after I clicked "next step." But should I lower my calories to 1500? Ugh. I wish they had a science course in college about weight loss. This stuff confuses me so much. Ugh!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Quote: "Excellent explanation.

In my opinion, the best way to approach this is to make the most of the muscle you have as mmapags explained and then reassess when you are down to a BF% you are happy with. If you wish to build new muscle, then you will have to eat at a surplus (which will mean some increase of BF%). However, many women want to be defined - which is basically what neuro-muscular adaption will do. I think of the muscle like a balloon - a little deflated without working it, but with strength training, even at a deficit, you can blow that balloon up more.

ETA: make sure you get enough protein - rule of thumb is at least 0.65g of protein per lb of body weight. :End Quote

MY RESPONSE: As always, thanks Sarauk2sf for all your great info and analogies! And thanks everyone else for all this great (not discouraging at all) information!!!

Sarauk2sf is pretty awesome isn't she!

Yes!!! You are both very helpful!! Thanks!!!
    I was about to get involved in this thread but it looks like Sara has taken care of things. =)

Aww shucks :blushing: :flowerforyou: I was only jumping off mmapags' explanation and there are a bunch of other really helpful comments in this thread also. However, you comments did make my day. :happy:

I feel the need for a happy dance gif:

tumblr_m69926FLxn1qb74zn.gif
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Wait, I'm confused. I visited the website again, now it's saying my BMR is 1900-ish and my TDEE is 2600 I was giving you a number from the page after I clicked "next step." But should I lower my calories to 1500? Ugh. I wish they had a science course in college about weight loss. This stuff confuses me so much. Ugh!

if your tdee is actually 2600 then your cals should be 2080

go back to the start and do it right.
    bmr---->TDEE---->take way 20%(or multiply by 80% if that is easier!)
    this is your daily calories allowance.

If your BMR is 1900 then you should CERTAINLY not be lowering calls to 1500, that would be very unwise.
  • L6eefah
    L6eefah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great, but if you want to be toned you should add strength training to your workout routines. Strength training is a high fat burner.
  • Erisad
    Options

if your tdee is actually 2600 then your cals should be 2080

go back to the start and do it right.
    bmr---->TDEE---->take way 20%(or multiply by 80% if that is easier!)
    this is your daily calories allowance.

If your BMR is 1900 then you should CERTAINLY not be lowering calls to 1500, that would be very unwise.

Oh god. I did it gain and now it's saying my BMR is 1728 and my TDEE is 2375. I think I got it right this time. God I'm so ****ing stupid I can't even operate the website right. So I should be eating 1900 a day? Dear god, that's even more than I'm eating now. I don't even know if I'm doing this right. I have to hire a ****ing accountant just to figure out how much to eat a day. I'm pathetic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Oh god. I did it gain and now it's saying my BMR is 1728 and my TDEE is 2375. I think I got it right this time. God I'm so ****ing stupid I can't even operate the website right. So I should be eating 1900 a day? Dear god, that's even more than I'm eating now. I don't even know if I'm doing this right. I have to hire a ****ing accountant just to figure out how much to eat a day. I'm pathetic.

No you are not! This *kitten* can be confusing and there are so many sites out there that use a couple of different BMR calculators and slightly different multipliers to get to your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure = daily calories out) - some include a deficit buily in, some do not, some include exercise built in, some do not - no wonder its confusing.
  • Erisad
    Options

No you are not! This *kitten* can be confusing and there are so many sites out there that use a couple of different BMR calculators and slightly different multipliers to get to your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure = daily calories out) - some include a deficit buily in, some do not, some include exercise built in, some do not - no wonder its confusing.

I mean, I'm already prone to anxiety and this isn't helping. >.<
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I mean, I'm already prone to anxiety and this isn't helping. >.<

So we don't hijack the thread - I will PM you with some questions and will try to help 'destress' it for you.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't have said "gain muscle." I guess I just want what I have to become more defined and lower body fat. Thanks for everyone's input! I started an "eating clean in July" challenge so hopefully that will help. I also started lifting today so we'll see how I look at the end of july! Thanks for everyone's posts!
  • thecanuck22
    Options
    My first and probably last post, forums always get me goaded.

Yes you can GAIN MUSCLE mass, and lose fat, some people make this far too complicated so they sound smrt.....mmapags or whatever your name is. I dont have time to read everypage on this post and was really only checking it out, I quit forums years ago.
    But.
    I read your question and a few responses and need to reply and then leave.

I have personally lost fat and gained muscle mass at the same time more than once in my life, maybe its not happening at EXACTLY the same time but its a balancing act between building your muscle mass and losing fat. Feeling a little cardio'd out? hit the weights. Feeling a little sore? Do some cardio and weights later in the week after your healed. I follow a 30/30/40 split diet, about once a week I have a few 'cheat' meals that usually includes some pasta just too make sure I have enough carbs to carry me through the week.
    It is tough some weeks because you like to see the scales go down but your also gaining weight in the form of muscle, a beautiful trade but mentally tough. I find measuring my body parts helps with that, if I have not lost weight but my measurements have gone done, its easier to stick with it.
    One of the first responses you got was about lifting and the suggestion was that you include compound movements, very solid advice, not easy for a new weight trainer to learn a deadlift and I have not seen a lady do that in a gym ever. A couple rules I always follow when I am really trying to put on the muscle is 1) its always best to move your body through the range of motion 2) use dumbells and barbells as much as possible 3) just do something even if its just machine work some days...
    Carefull though bodybuilding is addictive ;o)
    Good Luck Carri and remember if someone tells you that something cant be done, they just mean they cant do it....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    My first and probably last post, forums always get me goaded.

Yes you can GAIN MUSCLE mass, and lose fat, some people make this far too complicated so they sound smrt.....mmapags or whatever your name is. I dont have time to read everypage on this post and was really only checking it out, I quit forums years ago.
    But.
    I read your question and a few responses and need to reply and then leave.

I have personally lost fat and gained muscle mass at the same time more than once in my life, maybe its not happening at EXACTLY the same time but its a balancing act between building your muscle mass and losing fat. Feeling a little cardio'd out? hit the weights. Feeling a little sore? Do some cardio and weights later in the week after your healed. I follow a 30/30/40 split diet, about once a week I have a few 'cheat' meals that usually includes some pasta just too make sure I have enough carbs to carry me through the week.
    It is tough some weeks because you like to see the scales go down but your also gaining weight in the form of muscle, a beautiful trade but mentally tough. I find measuring my body parts helps with that, if I have not lost weight but my measurements have gone done, its easier to stick with it.
    One of the first responses you got was about lifting and the suggestion was that you include compound movements, very solid advice, not easy for a new weight trainer to learn a deadlift and I have not seen a lady do that in a gym ever. A couple rules I always follow when I am really trying to put on the muscle is 1) its always best to move your body through the range of motion 2) use dumbells and barbells as much as possible 3) just do something even if its just machine work some days...
    Carefull though bodybuilding is addictive ;o)
    Good Luck Carri and remember if someone tells you that something cant be done, they just mean they cant do it....

A couple of things to comment on:

- you agree that you cannot lose weight and gain muscle at the same time then you say you did - unless you fall into the categories already noted by others, you cannot - simples. If a guy cannot do it, how on earth do you think a woman can who has 1/16th of the testosterone than a guy does?

- protein and fats should not be based on percentages but body weight

- did you even read the encouraging posts that explained that she could still achieve what she wanted to...maybe you should spend as much time reading the posts as you did criticizing them.

- I am a female and I deadlift. I started incorporating them into my routine for the first time about 2 months ago and I am already up to 3x6 175lb. Also, check out the forums - there are loads of women who deadlift (with far more impressive weights than me) on this site. Now you are insinuating she cannot do something.

- I do agree with the suggestion to use free weights and will add a caution - always make sure you have proper form. If you do not know how to do a lift, do not do it until sufficiently researched/comfortable with the move.

Edited to fix typos