WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Hello all -

Just another fairly quick check in. Internet connection may never get better; who knows!

I live in Central Iowa and our temps are expected to be in the 80s today. Good news is that the voluntary water restriction is apparently being taken seriously and officials report water usage is down already. They actually had some people driving around yesterday checking to make sure people were not watering their lawns.

Prayers for improved health for everyone suffering. It is difficult whether it is your own health situation or that of a loved one.

Warmest wishes for a lovely weekend for everyone.

Enjoy whatever bit of the Olympics you are able to watch.

:drinker: :drinker:

Lin
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Love it Friday:flowerforyou:

Robin- 12 hr day, 13,000 steps:noway: you inspire me. Don't forget to drink plenty of water while you are working outside on the dog run:drinker:

Meg- drink plenty of water while you are sitting and watching the Olypmics it's a great way to keep the hands busy when watching TV:wink:

Rachel P- great going on getting up and moving...during lunch is always a good time:drinker:

Kathy- How was the concert? :huh: Those two together would make for a great one.

Rose- glad to hear that Matthew is doing so well after his surgery:flowerforyou: Getting in the exercise too...good for you:drinker:

cjspensley- How fun to have a bike ride with your son while he's home. Our #3 son was in the Air Force (2002-2006), he's in grad school now and living in the north end of the city. He's totally into being physically fit, bikes, runs, boot camp ..you name it and he does it for exercise...he's always trying to get me to do something with him but I'm afraid I'd just slow him down:noway: so instead I just encourage him to take his wife on his exercise excursions:wink: She told me last week that she has started running with him (1 mile) he told her once she started she would love it...she told me she doesn't love it yet:laugh:

petalsandpaws- :flowerforyou: Prayers for you and your hubby:flowerforyou: I know it's hard to eat during this stressful time but you do need to keep up your strength, maybe see if there is a protein bar that would give you some much needed positive calories to help you get through the day.

Mimi- so good to hear from you. Your family looks wonderful...mother of the bride telling a "pastor" not to say anything religous at a wedding:noway: that gave me a smile and a shake of the head:wink: All that fresh produce you bought sounds wonderful too:love:

Liz- getting to take your daughter to hear Sara Evans...that would be so much fun:flowerforyou: Enjoy. I'm sure your swollen feet and ankles are just heat related...drink more water and elevate your feet:drinker:

DeeDee- your dinner w/ wine sounds wonderful:love: Flowers blooming when you thought they were dead:laugh: that seems to be my story a lot and I work for a landscape company:laugh:

Polly - Welcome:flowerforyou: You will find a lot of encouragement here as well as fellow teachers...there seem to be a lot of you here:wink: I understand not telling your son the ingredients of some of your dishes...I found that as my sons became teenagers (they are 35, 31, 28 now) that foods that they used to love they suddenly wouldn't eat because they saw what I put into it when I was fixing it...so I finally had to start making things when they weren't around so they wouldn't know what was in the food:bigsmile:

Kathleen- I look forward to the day when I don't work and can say the day got away from me....for now retirement is just a dream that doesn't seem to be in my future:grumble:

Michele- I know that when I look around at people our age and older if they don't do any form of exercise they seem to be of the larger size and when I see some outside and walking or riding a bike I always give them a mental good for you because something has to click inside each one of us to want to make this change so we can have a more fullfilling life. Isn't it amazing how our kids always know that if they "pop in" that Mom will always have something to feed them:wink:

Linda Sundance- Trap shooting:drinker: How awesome is that? I've never done anykind of shooting that involves moving targets...just those that stay where they are supposed to:wink: Your daughter has great aspirations:drinker:

Amanda- Talking Scooby Doo voice to your dog:laugh: :laugh: I don't think Peanut would be able to understand me if I did that.

bigpal- my grandsons are too little to say they will tell grandma if they are having problems with mom & dad...but I'm sure it will happen someday. Good for you getting your hubby to join you on this journey:flowerforyou:

Lin- we are on voluntary water restrictions here in Denver, but if it gets any worse I'm sure it will become mandatory:cry:

++++
    Hubby said he went to the community pool yesterday to see DIL#2 and grandsons....she doesn't think this baby #3 is going to arrive anytime soon:grumble: even though she has had some very serious days of contractions...so we continue to WAIT:sad:

Had a great bike ride last night after work. When we were getting ready for our ride hubby was saying his "backside" was really firm...and it was....where as mine is still soft and mushy:blushing: He still has a tummy but he made comments about his portions last night so maybe something is starting to click in:huh: Since he does a lot of elipitcal maybe that is why he is so firm...I better check that out...maybe make that one of my August goals:bigsmile:

I have to finish payroll and get some billings out. Everyone have a good day. If you do it log it...water, food and exercise:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • ShowMeMom
    ShowMeMom Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi all,

I joined MyFitnessPal about 2 months ago. I'm down 14 lbs and facing a number that I have had a psychological barrier with for many years. I am thinking that I can do this!!! Have about 180 lbs to lose, but am already feeling a difference. Missing exercising as I tore my right meniscus pulling weeds in April and may be having surgery soon. Looking forward to connecting here. God bless!! :flowerforyou:
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Today is the last day of training on how to use iPads in the classroom. We have learned a lot and I have also learned how much more I need to learn! This should be an interesting year. I know my students will adapt quickly. I am sure they will be teaching me!

The downside to all of this is that all I have done for three days is sit. I did get in a walk yesterday. Shorter than usual, but faster. I was trying to get it in before storms hit. We actually had a tornado watch for a while. No real strong storms hit us though. Some areas south of us were hit with strong winds, trees down, powerlines down, etc.

My thoughts are with those of you going through challenges.

Deb A
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    OMG I just typed a HUGE reply and pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooofffff where did it go?

So this is short. I lost 1 pound this week
    My prayers to all who are having health challenges; Petals and paws please let us know what happens.

Sorry I am not replying to all again......I'm at work and have to get back to it. Take care and more tomorrow. meg
  • Linda_Jaques
    Linda_Jaques Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies

Thanks for the big welcome....just settling down to watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics...not a chocolate in sight!!

Take care all

Linda x
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    OMG I just typed a HUGE reply and pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooofffff where did it go?

It happens to everyone. The smart one use a Wordpad or someother document to compose the post and then copy and paste it into a reply. I tend to copy my replies as I go so I don't have to recreate all of it when it disappears into the ether.

I am glad it is Friday. I plan to consume lots of water this weekend working on the dog run (thanks for the reminder Laura:wink: )

I am way down on steps today. I will have to hit the dreadmill when I get home but I should still get around 20 flights of stairs. I have to spend some time and catch up my food diary, My new job has messed up my routine but I will get back to it.

Have a great day ladies.

Robin (Bodi and Ritter)
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you everyone for your prayers. Just left the hospital to bring Rowan (Matthews's 2 yr old sister) back to the RMH to take a nap. Matthew is doing wonderful, sitting up coloring and eating. They are going to take the drainage tube out of his chest today and they said he may get to go home Sunday or Monday.:smile: He will have to come back for check ups and to make sure he is healing properly. The doctor said this will probably be his last open heart surgery. Any thing they need to do in the future will probably be done in the Cath Lab.

:flowerforyou: A friend from high school owns a greeting card company If you get the chance check out her web site at www.sendoutcards.com you can use their cards or create your own. The cards are really nice and not expensive at all. Again thank you for all the well wishes and prayers. :heart: Love ((((HUGS)))) and Prayers, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies:flowerforyou:

Rose:smile: , hope your grandson is doing well, sending positive energy your way.

Polly:smile: welcome:flowerforyou: . Changing names of recipes, I've done that too, funny how they actually like things they say they don't :laugh: .

Kathleen:smile: salads are one of my favorite things, I have one of some sort everyday!

Michele:smile: will you tell me how you froze your cherries? Do you just put them in a baggie and put them in the freezer? I bought a big bag yestereday and I need to do something to keep them from going bad. Have fun with your daughter this weekend!!!!

Linda-SundanceB :smile: trap shooting sounds like fun. I have a friend that does it, I might have to go with him next time.

Amanda :smile: good luck with your tooth extraction. Hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou: .

Bigpal:smile: my granddaughters tell their mom and dad the same thing, they call me MImi, the oldest one says "my Mimi will make you sorry, she loves me." I think it's funny, to think I have that much power!!!!:laugh:

Lin:smile: hope you get some rain soon to bring up the water level!

Laura80111:smile: baby watch - we are all waiting with you! My oldest granddaughter came 3 days early, the youngest one came 2 weeks late!!!! They arrive when they choose to.:bigsmile: . I think I might need to get on the elliptical too, I have a bit of padding on my backside, I know I would love for it to be much firmer!!!!!:laugh:

ShowMeMom:flowerforyou: welcome!!! Congrats on the 14 lbs. down, that's fabulous!!!!! Hope your knee feel better!!!

DebA:smile: iPads in the classroom, things have really changed! I love my iPad, I just tend to stay on it too much!:laugh:

Meg:smile: I've had several posts go into cyber space:huh: and I'm like you, where do they go?:huh: :huh: :huh:

Lindajaques:smile: have veggies while you enjoy the Olympics!!!!! Good for you not having chocolate, veggies are tastier than chocolate right:noway: . Maybe a little bite of dark chocolate, it's good for you!

I have had an odd day, I seem to be a bit clumsy. I tripped over a box in the garage this morning, hurt my leg, got a big bruise now too:frown: . While I was hanging up a pair of pants, my finger got caught on the hanger and cut it, it's right at my nail bed, and boy does it hurt:angry: , earlier today I was on my computer and logged in to MFP and it said I had a virus:huh: . Seems like a few people have had the same thing, I ran my anti-virus program and it said everything was okay, however I still can't get on, on the computer, I'm on my iPad now and have had no problems. Oh well :ohwell: , some days are just odd. I think though I will stay in the rest of the day. We are having a major thunderstorm right now, wind, rain, thunder and lightening, I best get off my iPad now, wouldn't want anything to happen to it.

Have a great evening ladies:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    DeeDee---I've had that happen to me the last 2 days. I ran a complete scan yesterday and there was nothing detected. I don't know what's up but I'm not liking it! :grumble: :angry: :sad:

"today I was on my computer and logged in to MFP and it said I had a virus . Seems like a few people have had the same thing, I ran my anti-virus program and it said everything was okay, however I still can't get on, on the computer, I'm on my iPad now and have had no problems."

If anyone hears anything further about this, I'd love to know. I'm on my laptop and I try to keep this up-to-date and protected.

Beeeeee well.

Lin

P.S. I saved a few calories for some lower fat, no salt Michael Seasons potato chips for the Olympics tonite. I eat so few of them now they actually go stale before I finish them. Ha.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!

The Kris Kristofferson and Merle Haggard concert was fantastic! Saw them together about 3 yrs. back but I think this concert surpassed that one! The acoustics were much better where we were this time and Merle same a few different songs, one being Johhny Cash's Folsum Prison Blues.

Drkatiebug-Thanks for your Kris Kristofferson concert story! It was quite interesting-great memories for you! I've always had a crush on Kris! My favorite movie is "A Star is Born"-the version with Kris and Barbra Streisand!

Cindys0417-Thanks for the new recipe that you sent me to try out!

Petalandpaws-Keeping you and your husband in my prayers!

LaurelFischer-Glad to hear that Matthew is doing so well!

Exermom-I do that too-forget to mention all the ingredients that I use in a new recipe so that my hubby will try it-9 times out of 10 he'll end up liking it!

ShowMeMom-Welcome and I def have sympathy for your injury! I have extreme osteoarthris in both knees so know how it feels not only dealing w/pain, but the frustration of not being to able to exercise as much as you'd like too!

Tiarapants-How you talk to your dog is esp funny because my nickname for my Yorkie is ScoobyDoo!:laugh:

Speaking of dogs, dogsitting for a friend this weekend and def. getting exercise doing stairs more often taking all the dogs outside and trying to keep the peace between her dog-who just wants to play- and mine who isn't too sure if he wants to tolerate the interloper!

Hoping my cable tv gets fixed before the opening ceremonies start for the Olympics and also hoping this long post does not disappear into cyberspace when I hit post!

Kathy
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Just finished a 30-minute walk through the neighborhood to keep from going over my calorie limit today. Now I'm watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies! Sorry I missed the beginning. :cry:

It sounds like some of you are in the UK, no? You can be proud -- the show is wonderful!

Polly
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Busy day-spent time with granddaughter at the pool and hanging out.
    Found out daughter is having surgery next week to dissolve the kidney stone.
    Hopefully,we will be moving next week.
    Have a good night!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • petalsandpaws
    Options
    Just a short note to say thank you for the thoughts and prayers from all those who sent them. Unfortunately the news is not good. The cancer has metasized to the brain, with to many tumors to count as quoted by the doctor. Chemo has been stopped and radiation to begin next tues, for 10 straight days, excluding weekends. This to give my wonderful man 5 to 6 months if we are lucky.
    Right now it hurts to breathe.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    Just a short note to say thank you for the thoughts and prayers from all those who sent them. Unfortunately the news is not good. The cancer has metasized to the brain, with to many tumors to count as quoted by the doctor. Chemo has been stopped and radiation to begin next tues, for 10 straight days, excluding weekends. This to give my wonderful man 5 to 6 months if we are lucky.
    Right now it hurts to breathe.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: I know that I am only the first of us who will be sending you hugs and love.....if we were closer I would hug you and hold your hand and this terrifying time.

:flowerforyou: I read all the posts and love hearing about your lives and adventures.....I have been up early every morning to walk the poodles for at least an hour....I've had time to work on the rocks in my yard......we bought new cell phones (the old ones were doing naughty things and needed to be replaced) and there is so much to learn that I have been consumed with technology........we've started practicing dances for our line dance performance at the county fair, I've tracked food and exercise every day, so MFP posting has not been at the top of my priority list, but you are all on my mind.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington where it was cool and cloudy all day
  • ldezara
    ldezara Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a woman over 50, in fact I'm close 60. As far as getting off your plateau, try resetting your goals with your new weight. Every time I weigh in I try to reset my goals. The number of calories I've gone down has adjusted twice and I've only lost 10 pounds! Also, try and walk 30 minutes a day. The nice thing about the 30 minutes is that it doesn't have to be done all at once. Try walking 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening. It's much easier to do it that way. Also, remember that if you cheat you only cheat yourself. The website doesn't care but you will. Good luck!
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Cool I made it on. Via my phone I am not very adapt at phone so much more choppy. My laptop is not. Working my husband is taking it to.get check. So my phone will do.
    @Dee ouch hope you are ok.
    @petalsandpaws. You and your husband are in my prayers. This weekend is our county fair. Yesterday. Came with work today my daughter. Lots. Of walking stay under food goal. It was tough.

To every one hurting recoverying sick feel better soon mend quickly. In my thoughts and prayers. Have a good weekend.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Dear PetalandPaws,

I know you are going tough a very difficult time right now. I am going to pray for you and your husband. As hard as it may be,keep hope and help your husband to have a positive attitude. These two -hope /positive attitude have helped many patients to fight and live longer.

Ladies- trap shooting is really fun. We have taught our girls about gun safety, and they have both taken a hunter safety class. I love it that we can all go together and be on a competitive league together!

I am having raging cramps today, along with my 13 y/o daughter. This is crazy!!

Yea, Jane you are getting close to moving out! That will be so nice for you.

We are on a road trip tomorrow ,my daughter has a competitive shoot, so its getting up at 0430 and two hour car drive and then all day in 105 degrees weather.

Welcome to all the new ladies. :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barbie, you got some nice cool weather, we could us that down her in So Calif.

Well, I got to go, hugs to all.......keep tracking and chatting, one step, one day at a time ,we can do this together! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :heart: Petalsandpaws thinking of you and letting you know that we are here for you :heart: :heart:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Petalsandpaws - my heart truly goes out to you. I cannot offer you anything but hugs and support, but if there is ever time that you just want to chat, please mail me. Huge hugs to you.

Debs - my BIL is headmaster at a large private school and he has managed to do a deal with Apple to get every child an ipad to use in the classroom. They have been using them for a year and he says that they are so much more 'switched on' now. I'm certain you will get to grips with it very quickly.

Meg - I try to type up my messages in word and just switch screens - too many times have I typed and typed only to have it all vanish.

Robin - drink up! I have to admit, I took to the dreadmill yesterday too - I seemed to have an abundance of energy for some reason. I actuallly walked at speed for 8 minutes and then ran for 2 minutes - repeat, repeat. It's definitely not as good as being outside walking, but better than nothing. I've also now taken to carrying dumbells when I use the treadmill, just to make it a bit more interesting.

Laurel - pleased with Matthew's progress! They are so resilient at that age aren't they!

DeeDee - it does sound as if you had 'one of those days', hope today is better.

Kathy - hope you managed to see the Olympic ceremony!

Polly - I'm glad you enjoyed the opening ceremony. It's such a huge undertaking and could have gone either way.

Laura - I can't get on with the elliptical at all!

Jane - hope your daughter's kidney stone op goes ok.

Barbie - it always takes time to get used to new phones. I'm usually just getting set up with mine when I need to get a new one. I'm definitely an iphone girl these days, whilst DH sticks with his Blackberry.

Idezara - you speak the truth when you say that cheating is only cheating oneself - totally pointless. Welcome by the way.

Lizmil - enjoy the county fair. I would love to visit one in the States to see how they differ from our UK brand.

Sundance - 105 degrees - no thank you! I know that I can handle the heat better these days, but not sure I could cope with that. Hope you keep up your water intake!

I'm at work today and travelling in by tube was a breeze! I was so worried that it would be mobbed because of the Olympics, but we even managed to get a seat.

Tomorrow we are off to a lunch party for my SIL's 60th birthday. Unfortunately all the roads in our area are closed today and tomorrow for the Olympic cycle races. This means that we are going to have to get my dad to walk over to meet us and then we will have to take the long route, which will take us about four hours (possibly more with traffic) instead of 50 minutes. Ho hum. Think I'll change when I get there, don't fancy wearing my Sunday best for hours of travelling.

I got loads done yesterday, including cleaning everything in my gym - even changed the filters in my water chiller. That was definitely one of my best buys when I set up my gym! I love it. I also bought a new, larger screen so that I can watch dvds whilst working out.

Well, I'd better actually do some work I suppose - that's what I'm here for after all.

Much love to you all.

Amanda x