WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all of the new people! You will love the support, motivation and ideas from this group. I know that reading these posts helps me stay focused on my goals.

Although I have done well with food this week, I haven't gotten as much exercise in for the last few days as I like. We did go kayaking and have gone on some walks, but it seems that life keeps getting in the way. And this is during my summer off. I better get a good routine in place before school starts in September!! I really would like to get this last 10 pounds off.

We bought a small camper hoping that we can cut down on some of our travel time when going kayaking. We have been traveling about 2 hours each way twice a week to kayak with friends. We decided to just go north and stay for a few days at a time and get more kayaking in. The only concern is to figure out what to do with our golden retriever and our cat when we camp. Not sure if we should take them with us or have my daughter watch them. One of this week's trips will be to Wellsley Island to man a 16 person canoe. We will be following the same route as the French fur traders traveled. Should be interesting.

Tonight we went out to hear a band that included some of our friends. They played the "old" songs that I enjoy and were quite good.

I guess I need to get some sleep. We have several errands to run tomorrow to get the camper set up. I am going to get up and exercise FIRST THING in the morning so that "life" doesn't get in the way again.

Deb A
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Linda-Sundance - Vince and I took a sheriff's citizen academy run by the county. We did get to go to the shooting range that the sheriff's use. I really liked using the MP-5. I wasn't too keen on the Glock, too much of a kickback. But that MP-5!!!!! Vince took me to the shooting range once, I consider myself a real success. I shot the gun and didn't shoot the wall or the ceiling....lol So to me that was successful. I'm not a big shooting person.

Did 40 minutes of yoga today and then an hour of the extreme pump class. Went to the library and got the DVD of Richard Simmons "Sweatin' To The Oldies". Since I only have it for a week, I'll probably do it tomorrow. I want to try it out before I order it.

This morning I did yoga, had breakfast, bought gas, did the extreme pump class, dropped off the butterscotch bars at the soup kitchen, got my DVD from the library, went and bowled 5 games, went to the store that sells the Birkenstock and found out that I really needed the size larger, helped Vince cut weeds, had dinner and then played mahjongg. For some reason, I enjoy this game on Monday nights, it just seems to have a more relaxed atmosphere. Tomorrow I need to go to the vet to get more medicine for Loki, then I want to stop at Lowes foods since that is the last day I can get the cat litter on sale plus I have a $1 coupon which they'll double, then I'd like to stop at WalGreens, I need to take my shoes to the UPS store. Vince wants to take this canopy that we had for over the table on the deck that collapsed 2-1/2 years ago to the recycling center. The only reason it isn't still on the deck is because I took it off.

DeeDee - I'm with you, this is the time of year that I love, all the fresh fruits and veggies. Nothing can compare to a fresh tomato right out of the garden or fruit just picked or corn just picked. Oh, I can go on and on.

Kathy - good thoughts being sent your way for Thursday

Robin - thanks for checking out my diary. I am going to try upping the protein and decreasing the carbs. That's hard because there are carbs in fruits and veges, too.

Carol - good for you getting rid of those clothes! Now you can't regain the weight!!!!

A friend gave me some fresh figs so I made these low fat granola bars and put them in. Wasn't sure how they would turn out. Honestly, I don't think I'll use fresh fruit again. I wasn't too crazy about the consistency. They had good flavor, tho

Laura - I got the Sweating to the Oldies 5

Dixie - I'm so inspired by you.

Donna - welcome! I'm so so sorry to hear about your husband. Congrats on the fabulous weight loss. Jessica (one of my daughters) was a bit upset when she found out that I weighed less than she did!

Debra - welcome to a fantastic place!

One lady brought pretzels to mahjongg tonight. I was very good and didn't have any (I did want, but resisted and drank my ice tea whenever the urge came up)

Polly - thanks for taking the time to explain the RD diet. Sounds very interesting.

Deb - I need to exercise first thing in the morning for exactly the same reason - if I don't do it then it usually doesn't get done.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had said that I would not buy any new clothes until I lost so much weight that I just had to...but I was driving by Talbots and they are having a sale so I did go in and bought a pair of capris that were one size smaller! So...I met one of my July goals of losing a pants size!
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I didn't do too good on my exam this weekend. :( Quite a disappointment after studying all weekend for it. Thanks for the suggestions that some of you gave me to ward of my nervous snacking. I do keep a bottle of water with me and I chew gum constantly - when I'm not snacking. I used to be a smoker years ago - so I guess the "chain chewing" has replaced the chain smoking. :laugh:

Just wanted to pop in and say "hi" before I get to bed. Long days ahead with month-end close so must get some sleep. Enjoy your night where ever you are!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi ladies

:flowerforyou: Amanda glad the tooth is gone, hope you feel better soon. DS texted me yesterday to say he's got toothache and is on antibiotics, he's at the dentist tomorrow - I felt so sorry for him - toothache is one pain I can't cope with!

:flowerforyou: Azsuzi Sorry about your exam, but maybe you did better than you thought you did.

:flowerforyou: Fonitioni I'd give anything to be able to get into a smaller pair of Jeans, so well done to you - and the capri pants you bought were in the sale :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Michele I'm like you, if I don't exercise first thing it doesn't get done.

I went into town yesterday with my mum, she has a little scooter now (I think they used to be called invalid carriages!) so although my dad dropped us off in the car as he wasn't feeling too well himself we travelled back under our own steam :laugh: mum on her scooter and me trying to keep from getting run over walking at the side of her :bigsmile: I said I'll have to get her some "L" plates (learner driver) she's okay going in a straight line but going around corners or going backwards watch out everyone! She's only used it a few times, so once she gets used to it she'll be gadding about all over. It's really helped her though as she was finding it harder and harder to walk even with her little wheeled frame.

:frown: I'm back at work tomorrow, first time in over a week I'm a lttle nervous to be honest - it's hard to get back in the swing of things after my long weekend never mind a week off.

:glasses: :glasses: The sun is trying to get out, I'll get the washing on the line in a minute. I really must start logging my food again, the calories must be creeping up, got on the scale this morning and it's up by 2lbs :noway: :noway: usually first thing on a morning I'm at my lowest weight so this is not good!!

Have a good Tuesday and see you on the August thread.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: , these ladies are great for motivation and inspiration, come in often and chat!!!!

Amanda:smile: I'm glad your tooth is out and no longer a bother. Antibiotics always messes up my stomach, I really don't enjoy eating at all when I have to take them, stomach hurts if you don't eat much, stomach hurts more when you do eat.:angry: I agree DOUBLE YUCK:angry: !!!!!

Michele:smile: I got more cherries yesterday, the golden ones, they are soooooo goooood!!!!! I didn't get to freeze the last bunch I got, my granddaughters took some home with them, so I may try to get a few of these in the freezer!!! I didn't buy a lot at the farmers market yesterday, Monday is really not the day to go, not a lot of people are there, it's better closer to the weekend.

The rest of this week is busy, busy, busy:grumble: . I've tons of things to get done, and almost every night I've got a dinner to go to. Only one night at home for dinner this week. I really do prefer to cook my own dinners, I like knowing what goes into my food. One of the dinners is at someone's house, and I was informed they were going to serve fried chicken, fried potatoes and green bean casserole, okay yuck:frown: , I very rarely ever eat anything fried to start with, the thought of food simmering in oil just makes me gag:sick: . I think I might ask if I can bring something like a nice crisp salad and some fresh fruit. The other nights are at restaurants and I usually do decent choosing healthier selections. Oh well:ohwell: , I'll just do my best.

Time to get myself in gear and get ready for this beautiful day:glasses:
    Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee

How did everyone do on their goals for July? I'm happy to say I met mine and instead of 5 lbs. lost, it was a little over 6 lbs lost:happy: !!!!
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Morning,

Ok, reviewed my July goals and did not make any of them but the last-which was to stay positive no matter what, and even that one was a little tough.:frown:
    But, still managed to lose 6 lbs in June and a couple inches! Also, I had the pleasure of being part of this thread with so many wonderful women! Going to work on Aug. goals, one of which is to get in all my water if it kills me!:drinker:

Hugs to all!

Kathy
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

I hope you are all well and going strong.

This has got to be a short post - normal service will be resumed soon, I promise. I'm not sure if it's the antibiotics, but I'm feeling decidedly grotty and grumpy! This does not lead to positivity, but I will try to summon up a couple of positives -

1) Tomorrow I get to play with my most darling grandtwins - yay! Cuddles always help.
    2) .... oops, struggling! Lordy, I'll just be positive that I will soon FEEL more positive.

I'm going to stomp off and do some work now. Have fun my friends and to those of you who are not in a fun place, I am sending love and universal good wishes.

Hugs
    Amanda x
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    :happy: Good morning everyone. I wandered in to work today so hopefully it will be quiet here and I can get some work done! Still hot….upper 90s today and as usual, no rain in sight. Our biggest loser contest here at work is so exciting. We have almost $1000 in the pot and a few people have lost significant weight. It’s so cool to see people trying to be healthier and get fitter. We have 4 weeks left and just heard that it is being continued into the fall. Even the college president is participating.

Nothing much new at our house. The dog seems 100% good as new, but we will find out next week when we do more blood work. I totally forgot that DH is having foot surgery the 8th! His birthday is Thursday (OMG he’s going to be 60!!!). My older daughter registered for more classes at the local community college. She will still be in remedial classes both for English and now for math (She and her sister are from Russia). She’s frustrated about that, but I keep trying to tell her that anything she does will help her later on in life.

I can’t find my goals for July, so I am not sure if I met them or not, so I will put my August goals in my day planner! They are 1) drink my 90 ounces of water 5 days a week, 2) exercise 5 days a week, and 3) lose 10#.

Laura: that croup is nasty, isn’t it? :grumble:

Amanda: are you surviving the Olympics? I hope your ex-tooth feels better soon! :flowerforyou:

Dixie: I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You have the right idea…take care of yourself too! Radiation can make you really tired, so be ready for him to be worn out for a while. Drop in once in a while as you can and let us know how it is all going. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Hi new Donna. It sounds like you have done well with your goals despite the chaos in your life right now. You and your hubby will be in my thoughts and prayers too.:flowerforyou:

Debra: join us! We’d love to have you!

Debbie: I’m like you…I didn’t always know you can order food cooked the way you want it at restaurants. They actually have been quite accommodating to me!

Liz: cheesecake factory! YUM. There is one right by my work. Thank goodness I am not much of a sweet eater! I too have started checking out restaurant nutrition guides and deciding ahead of time what to order. Good job!

Connie: relaxing is always good! :wink:

DebA: I have kayaked a couple of times and would love to do more. Your travels sound amazing!

Michelle: fresh figs!!! That sounds wonderful.

Fonitoni: congrats on losing a whole pants size!!! :drinker:

Well I need to get going. I’m sure I have missed several of you and I apologize. See you on the August thread! Take care, meg
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sunny Tuesday, with another chance of afternoon thundershowers:flowerforyou:

Rose- if it were winter I'd say yep your clothes could weigh about #5...but if you are in the summer months...oops:wink:

Amanda- hoping that your mouth heals quickly:flowerforyou: Amanda when ever you say you are off to stomping it give me a smile:happy: I'm picture you charging off and I'm sure it's one of the reasons you lost so much weight and how you are keeping it off:drinker:

Dixie- know that you can come here anytime and express your high's and low's:flowerforyou: One of the reasons that I had decided to try and lose this weight was because this was the only thing in my life that I have control over ...what I put in my mouth and whether or not I choose to exercise...I can't control that my hubby has no job, my #1 Son may lose his house, my parents home not selling (been on the market since Aug 2010) the company I work for being in Chapter 11...so you take control of what you can and eating right and exercising will help you to deal with all the highs and lows you will be experiencing in the future {{{hugs}}} to you and your hubby:flowerforyou:

Donna in NJ- Welcome:flowerforyou: this is a great place to get all the encouragment you need. There are several here that have lost hugh amounts and are in maintainence so you should get some great help :drinker:

Debbie- sounds like you had a good time with your kids. Eating out can be a challenge, but if you plan ahead and stick to your plan you can usually do pretty good:drinker:

Liz- I heard on the radio this AM that yesterday was National Cheesecake Day...and I missed it:sad: I love cheesecake and that would have been wonderful. Since your work goes out a lot you have quite the challenge to be prepared ahead of time ...good thing MFP has their mobile apps it can make all the difference when you go out:wink: Good planning on your part:drinker:

Connie- I see you found us:flowerforyou: Glad that your were able to have a relaxing vacation. Setting the goals for August will help you get on track and you will be back to where you were before vacation in no time:flowerforyou:

Polly- your Reader's Digest Diet sounds interesting. I think if it works for you then that's a good thing:drinker: When I was on my 'first' run through MFP in 2010 and was losing I used Nutrisystem it worked for me and made my losing really easy. Unfortunately life got in the way and I didn't keep it off:sad: . This time around I am doing my own cooking and reading all labels and working real hard on finding the correct portion control because this is my life and I really do like to cook and eat what I cook so it's all about portion control for me:wink:

jaks97- Apple Cinnamon Water:drinker: sounds interesting.

Deb A- boy do I understand life getting in the way:grumble: during the work week if I don't do my exercises right when I get home I lose my motivation and on the weekends if I don't do it right after i get up it just doesn't happen:blushing: I get so sidetracked and before you know it it's time for bed and the exercise just didn't happen. Your kayaking sounds like a fun form of exercise:flowerforyou:

Michele- what a great idea of checking out the DVD from the library before you buy it...I'll have to try that:drinker:

fonitoni- Congrats on that NSV of going down a size:drinker:

Wizzywig- reading about your mum and her driving her scooter gave me a smile:happy: as I remembered at time when I was with my mom at the store and I suggested she use one of the store scooters for our shopping trip...she was all over the place I couldn't walk next to her...I was constantly telling people 'sorry' and 'excuse us' as she just never did get the hang of it running into people and the shelfs of the store:happy:

DeeDee- Congrats on meeting your July goals:flowerforyou: I wish I didn't like 'fried' foods but I do:blushing: I just don't eat them as often as I used to. Now they are for special treats:happy:

Kathy- drinking all your water is a good goal:drinker: and I'm pretty sure it won't kill you:laugh:

Meg- your Biggest Loser contest at work sounds like there are some serious people in there:flowerforyou: $1000 would really help when someone needs a new wardrobe:wink:

Last night after dinner hubby suggested a ride (in the car) around the Resevoir to see how many deer we would see since the sun was going down and it was a bit rainy. We saw 29 deer, the most ever and 7 of them were bucks with 4 being fawns and they still had their spots:bigsmile:

We didn't get to do a bike ride outside because of the weather so it was to the basement for the exercise, so glad that I have that option. I'm already starting to think about my August goals, I'd really like to do better on succeeding in the monthly goal:ohwell: I'm probably setting them too high and need to be more realistic.

After our drive I went to finalize my day on MFP and realized that I was way under on my calories and it was too late to be eating as I was headed to bed. I really try to eat more than I did yesterday, so today will be better on how much I eat, I usually don't have trouble eating unless I get busy.

Everyone have a good day. It's the last day of the month so I have a few quarterly reports to finish today.

If you eat it log it, if you are moving and it's exercise log it, and keep hydrated that water will make the difference in your weight loss:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I ponder some of the posts in the general forum sometimes, so much bashing going on, but this place seems nice and friendly. My memory is not great but I also wonder what the average age of some of the posters are-- I remember seeing a message from someone asking a question for her "mom, who was much older" and the mom turned out to be only 40!? Sheesh! She doesn't know 50 is the new 30's :-)

I skrimped on my calories last night and had a small cheeseburger AND a peice of homemade cheesecake in honor of National Cheesecake day! I woke up about 4 ounces closer to my goal so not too much harm done.

My daughter at Notre Dame is finally coming home this weekend for 2 weeks (at summer school to catch up, but she's getting two A's??). I have her twin (and another of her 20 year old friends living with us for the last year) so adding a third 20 year old to my mix should only add to our household confusion. And long hair gracing all my floors-- where does it come from? It's a welcome distraction from health issues etc.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hi Ladies
    I have been reading the post and wow , there is a lot going on. I to have been busy and so have not had the time to do to much posting , but I wanted to let you all know that I am thinking of you and will try to post more later.

Have a wonderful day!:flowerforyou:

Rachel
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I ponder some of the posts in the general forum sometimes, so much bashing going on, but this place seems nice and friendly. My memory is not great but I also wonder what the average age of some of the posters are-- I remember seeing a message from someone asking a question for her "mom, who was much older" and the mom turned out to be only 40!? Sheesh! She doesn't know 50 is the new 30's :-)

I skrimped on my calories last night and had a small cheeseburger AND a peice of homemade cheesecake in honor of National Cheesecake day! I woke up about 4 ounces closer to my goal so not too much harm done.

My daughter at Notre Dame is finally coming home this weekend for 2 weeks (at summer school to catch up, but she's getting two A's??). I have her twin (and another of her 20 year old friends living with us for the last year) so adding a third 20 year old to my mix should only add to our household confusion. And long hair gracing all my floors-- where does it come from? It's a welcome distraction from health issues etc.

:drinker: I'm thinking that most of us here have learned a few life lessons that the younger generation hasn't yet and that make us much more compassionate with others.

My DIL #1 went to Notre Dame and since we are from the west coast (my Dad went to USC) we never thought we'd have a family member that would attend ND, now our #1 son is a strong rooter for ND especially football much to his father's dismay, but he really fits in well with her family as they are all ND alumni:wink:

You enjoy the time with all those 20 yr olds keeping up with them is sure to burn some excess calories:drinker:

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty good today. I finally got my food back on track. (I had to force myself to get to the grocery store) I am hoping to start the losing again instead of this staying at the same number stuff. I am slowly getting my motivation back. I think the new job is helping a lot.

Take care my dear friends.

Robin Bodi boy and Ritter bit.
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options

:drinker: I'm thinking that most of us here have learned a few life lessons that the younger generation hasn't yet and that make us much more compassionate with others.

My DIL #1 went to Notre Dame and since we are from the west coast (my Dad went to USC) we never thought we'd have a family member that would attend ND, now our #1 son is a strong rooter for ND especially football much to his father's dismay, but he really fits in well with her family as they are all ND alumni:wink:

You enjoy the time with all those 20 yr olds keeping up with them is sure to burn some excess calories:drinker:

Ha! that ND vs USC rivalry is a good one! Go Irish!
    One of my twins, Michelle Brown, runs track (sprinter) for ND and going into Jr Year. The other is studying Genetics at Rutgers in NJ and aiming to be a doctor. When they were 3 years old I recall talking to a lady in an elevator saying I'd never survive until they were grown :embarassed: but they turned out to be wonderful almost-adults and we have found ND to be the perfect environment for our kid. Rutgers too but it's a little more "worldly"..
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Hello - just saying "hello." Hope to catch up a bit tomorrow.

Wishing everyone well.

Lin
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Am a little under the weather today so stayed home from work and no tennis or other exercise...maybe tomorrow...having a little trouble getting motivated again but am confident it will come back..

Welcome to all of the new ladies..I have found so many inspiring stories and helpful info on this thread:flowerforyou:

Have a good evening

:heart:
    Jen
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just back from the gym and loved every moment of it. It has been so hot here that I was so drained I haven't been to the gym for 2 weeks. I really missed it. It is only a little after 7 pm here and I have already taken 12,475 steps-passed my daily goal of 10,000.

I have been reading all the posts but still haven't gotten names associated with what I read. Sounds like we are all pretty busy today. I will try to match names with posts so I can make better comments. I have to get dinner going as my teenager works at 8 this evening.

Have a great night.
    Debbie
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the apple-cinnamon water recipe. Sounds good. I really struggle to get more than 6 glasses of water down. I've tried adding Mio and Crystal Light but they taste chemical-y to me. Maybe this will taste better. How do others get through their minimum 8 glasses of water a day?

Polly
  • CeeGull2
    CeeGull2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Be encouraged! Remember, it is moment-by-moment sometimes, and while we learn from our past, it is PAST and we must forget what is behind us and forge ahead with the moments we are given today. I KNOW you can succeed and feel better. Just your being here is proof enough of that! Grace and peace to you.