Your weight loss: private or public?

Options
Do you like your weight loss journey to be private or public? For example, are you telling people what you're doing and that you're trying to lose weight, or are you just kind of "doing it"?

I've only told a very close friend, as we are trying to do this together. However, I feel too shy to tell anyone else... I don't want to tell my other friends in case they judge or scrutinise me, or incase I fail. I feel embarrassed by my desire to lose weight for some reason? I also haven't told some people because, to be brutally honest, am so insecure that I worry that they'll start becoming healthier as well when they're already so much fitter than me! ahaha

If someone outright asks me, of course I'm going to give them a little insight :)

Being "public" is the kind of thing I can imagine myself doing once I've completed my journey (or reached my goal). A photo/status on Facebook, a "I used to be fat" conversation... etc.

What about you? Do you like to keep this journey private, or make it public? and why? :)

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've told the people at work about mfp and my aim for slow weight loss
    They would be worried about my health if I lost weight for no apparent reason.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am very public...

but I have so many people who have seen me loose 70+# that everyone comments.... plus I am always posting about "biking this weeking with the kids" or "apalachian trail this weekend section hike... see ya monday" and stuff like that... so I kind of post my stuff to fb to encourage my friends who are also trying to loose
  • wantu2wantme
    Options
    PUBLIC
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    I keep mine pretty private for now...only a few people really know about it. Maybe once I get closer to my goal or start seeing really big results, I'll be more likely to share it. But for now, no official Facebook updates about my weight loss just yet lol.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Reasonably public. My workmates know I'm trying to lose weight, I turn down most naughty snacks in the office, but I've lost 40lbs (19 kg) now, so it's fairly obvious! Those I haven't seen in a while are starting to comment I'm looking good, and ask how I've done it. And I've even managed to convince a few friends to join up too :)
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I didn't start out telling anyone,but as I grew smaller,people started to ask what I was doing and how I was losing weight,I started at 240 and currently at 163,when I reached around 190 people started to ask questions,from my weight loss I have turn around 10 people onto this site and gave them hope that they can do the same thing that I did..that alone puts a big smile on my face
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by public. I've only really gone into detail with my boyfriend, my mom, and my doctor. But when people notice I've lost weight, I say that I've been eating healthier and exercising.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    At first only a few close people knew I was embarking on a healthier lifestyle - but once I had lost around 50 / 60 lbs people started noticing and asking questions - some were worried for my health, others just noticed that I was eating very healthy salads etc at lunch - or never partaking in the "treats" at work.

Now after having lost 125 lbs people that has not seen me in a while literally does not recognize me, so it is pretty obvious - if people ask about my eating, or my different look I would tell them what I have been up to....

My standard answer - which is the truth "I just started doing what skinny people have done all their lives - I eat properly and got my butt off the couch" In the simplest terms that is what the past 18 months have been all about for me (OK - maybe I have become just a tad obsessive about my health and fitness ;-) )

I dont post every single kilogram I lose on Facebook, but do post once I reach one of my big milestones (first one was when I had lost 40 kgs (90lbs)- maybe every 3 months or so...... I use MFP to celebrate most of my progress with like minded people that dont feel threatened by my new lifestyle :-)
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    at first i didn't tell any of my real life friends....but when i would go out people here and there would ask or tell me how i looked "different" i was out at the only local bar and the waitress, who i have known forever screamed about how fantastic i looked....she insisted i tell her, and i had no problem doing so. i like sharing my story on my weight loss and many people have started to follow suit.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    i didn't really go public with it but i have lost 50lb and some people at work have noticed and asked so of course i tell them. i usually only talk gym and diet with 2 of my friends and my bf though. :)
  • deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    Options
    Private - that's my business.
  • vibrantval
    vibrantval Posts: 46
    Options
    At first I was very private about it. Only my hubby knew and my family. I was insecure thinking what if I didnt keep up with the weightloss etc. But then its like a light flipped on for me personally and suddenly everyone knew. For me it is better this way, its motivation for me. :)
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    nice web site ,I sent you a message from your site :smile:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Private.
    I have friends that when I'm eating better tend to offer me cupcakes and other delicious but bad for me things 'because one won't hurt' and 'you shouldn't deprive yourself'. If they know I'm eating healthy they won't let it go and just keep offering it. If they think I'm not then when I say no, they don't care why. It's really quite interesting to discover things like that.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Very much private. I think telling other people your intentions is a really stupid thing to do. No one will be happy for you, they will all try to undermine you or point out where you go wrong or just be generally irritating and talk about it. No one wants anyone else to lose weight, that makes them more of a threat. Do it yourself, for you, and let them all comment when you succeed, rather than to make you fail.
  • kacinace
    kacinace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty open. My family and friends help to keep me accountable and give me a friendly nudge when I need it.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Guess you can say public.

I don't go around advertising that I'm working to lose weight, reshape the body etc but people have noticed and ask questions and drop comments/compliments. Over the months people around me have also started on losing weight and getting into shape and have asked me about my personal experiences which I'm happy to share.
  • kittenmcgowan
    kittenmcgowan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm a little private, in that I don't necessarily put everything on FB or anything, but at the same time I don't care who knows. I want people to see me eating well or exercising or whatever on MFP because we ARE all in this together. That's why we're here. The only thing I don't want the world to know is my actual mass... I'll tell folk how much I've lost, and how much I still want to lose, but not my actual mass in kg. Only a very few people know that, basically, me, my doctor and my partner.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Totally public, on here and FB.

Means I will never go back to how I was.